The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Former Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

Pants aside, this wasn't the Trump of the great rallies of old. Most reporters are saying he seemed tired, with lots of slurring and less energy than the faithful would have liked.

Also, he was definitely wearing a diaper.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:05 pm Also, he was definitely wearing a diaper.
That was my takeaway from the pantsgate video.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:05 pm Pants aside, this wasn't the Trump of the great rallies of old. Most reporters are saying he seemed tired, with lots of slurring and less energy than the faithful would have liked.

But was it forward facing?!?

Also, if true, that is SO...perfect for him, right? I mean just the balloons they had all over London that one time, the seemingly infinite political cartoons drawing him as a baby, etc. PER. FECT.

I mean, obviously incontinence in and of itself is not a laughing matter, but in THIS case...wow. Hell, he's probably not even incontinent! He's so hyper concerned what everyone thinks about him that he wears one on the 1/10,000 chance he has some accident. That paranoia seems to fit his M.O. pretty well.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:28 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:05 pm Pants aside, this wasn't the Trump of the great rallies of old. Most reporters are saying he seemed tired, with lots of slurring and less energy than the faithful would have liked.

But was it forward facing?!?

Also, if true, that is SO...perfect for him, right? I mean just the balloons they had all over London that one time, the seemingly infinite political cartoons drawing him as a baby, etc. PER. FECT.

I mean, obviously incontinence in and of itself is not a laughing matter, but in THIS case...wow. Hell, he's probably not even incontinent! He's so hyper concerned what everyone thinks about him that he wears one on the 1/10,000 chance he has some accident. That paranoia seems to fit his M.O. pretty well.
He has a history.

Diaper Don was a thing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

With almost a third of the senate in their 70s or 80s, we can comfortably assume the restrooms are well-stocked with Depends.

Well, maybe not "comfortably."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm shocked.

In other news, Republican leaders are trying to obstruct Democrats' political agenda in Congress. :P
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh no! Did they try asking nicely a few times?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh, that crazy Trump!
The top US general repeatedly pushed back on then-President Donald Trump's argument that the military should intervene violently in order to quell the civil unrest that erupted around the country last year. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley often found he was the lone voice of opposition to those demands during heated Oval Office discussions, according to excerpts of a new book, obtained by CNN, from Wall Street Journal reporter Michael Bender.

Titled "Frankly, We Did Win This Election: The Inside Story of How Trump Lost," the book reveals new details about how Trump's language became increasingly violent during Oval Office meetings as protests in Seattle and Portland began to receive attention from cable new outlets. The President would highlight videos that showed law enforcement getting physical with protesters and tell his administration he wanted to see more of that behavior, the excerpts show.

"That's how you're supposed to handle these people," Trump told his top law enforcement and military officials, according to Bender. "Crack their skulls!"

Trump also told his team that he wanted the military to go in and "beat the f--k out" of the civil rights protesters, Bender writes.

"Just shoot them," Trump said on multiple occasions inside the Oval Office, according to the excerpts.

When Milley and then-Attorney General William Barr would push back, Trump toned it down, but only slightly, Bender adds.

"Well, shoot them in the leg—or maybe the foot," Trump said. "But be hard on them!"
Sadly, most of the MAGAs I know would agree with Trump 100% on this course of action. Hell, it's a big part of the reason why they support him.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:53 am
Sadly, most of the MAGAs I know would agree with Trump 100% on this course of action. Hell, it's a big part of the reason why they support him.
Had his quote come out during the protests, they wouldn't have just agreed with him. They'd have gone out and done it for him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)

Post by Default »

Grifman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 am
That doesn't even look like Putin behind the counter.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Someone really needs to add that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Atlantic

Great reporting even if it feels a little bit like it is a piece of Barr's rehabilitation tour.
Donald trump is a man consumed with grievance against people he believes have betrayed him, but few betrayals have enraged him more than what his attorney general did to him. To Trump, the unkindest cut of all was when William Barr stepped forward and declared that there had been no widespread fraud in the 2020 election, just as the president was trying to overturn Joe Biden’s victory by claiming that the election had been stolen.

In a series of interviews with me this spring, Barr spoke, for the first time, about the events surrounding his break with Trump. I have also spoken with other senior officials in the Trump White House and Justice Department, who provided additional details about Barr’s actions and the former president’s explosive response. Barr and those close to him have a reason to tell his version of this story. He has been widely seen as a Trump lackey who politicized the Justice Department. But when the big moment came after the election, he defied the president who expected him to do his bidding.

Barr’s betrayal came on December 1, over lunch in the attorney general’s private dining room with Michael Balsamo, a Justice Department beat reporter at the Associated Press. Also in attendance were the DOJ chief of staff, Will Levi, and spokesperson Kerri Kupec. Balsamo was not told the reason for the invitation. When Barr dropped his bombshell between bites of salad, he mumbled, and Balsamo wasn’t sure that he had caught what the attorney general had said.

“Just to be crystal clear,” Balsamo asked, “are you saying—”

“Sir, I think you better repeat what you just said,” Kupec interjected.

“To date, we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election,” Barr repeated. This time Balsamo heard him.

Balsamo’s story appeared on the AP newswire shortly after lunch ended: “Disputing Donald Trump’s persistent baseless claims, Attorney General William Barr declared Tuesday the U.S. Justice Department had uncovered no evidence of widespread voter fraud that could change the outcome of the 2020 election.”

The story blew a hole in the president’s claims. Nobody seriously questioned Barr’s conservative credentials or whether he had been among Trump’s most loyal cabinet secretaries. His conclusion sent a definitive message that the effort to overturn the election was without merit.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Default wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:59 pm
Nice way to treat the flag in that picture.

That stool also looks like it’s going to buckle under the weight of all that winning!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why is Trump shaped like an elderly version of Luther from Umbrella Academy?

He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I just read that even Fox News didn’t carry Florida Man’s “angry racist grandpa yells at clouds” rally last night.

Surprised me a bit that his triumphant return wouldn’t be front and center.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:31 pm Why is Trump shaped like an elderly version of Luther from Umbrella Academy?
#Actually, the body shape is all Norman Rockwell. However, whoever did the photoshop apparently doesn't understand how suits work. Given the original, they could have just retinted the uniform a nice shade of brown and called it a day, but I guess that would have been too on the nose.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Default wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:59 pm
Missed opportunity: transform the knapsack on the floor into the head of a laid out, bleeding black person that had been waiting to get service for 30 minutes, and finally dared to speak up and ask for it. Both historically accurate AND foreshadowing!
Holman

Post by Holman »

No comments on the little kid praising Trump's testicles?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:36 pm No comments on the little kid praising Trump's testicles?
I was going to say we are all adults here, but I'm not sure that matters.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh look more kleptocratic corruption. The highlights - Sonny Purdue about to be the Secretary of Agriculture was sold a piece of land for $250K that was worth millions by one of the biggest agro-corps (ADM) in the United States. He wasn't required to disclose the sale and won't answer questions about it.

The thing that makes this look especially hinky was that ADM and Purdue were working the deal before Trump to the tune of $4M. Trump gets elected, Purdue gets the nod, and the price drops 16 times. The property has many enhancements and a single grain elevator alone is estimated to be worth twice the selling price.

Edit: Changed out original Tweet for a great thread from the former head of the Government Ethics Office that breaks down how ABSOLUTELY DIRTY this is.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Money gets it done.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Let us hope we never have to create a "Trump Speakership Thread"

Matt Gaetz Says He'll Nominate Donald Trump to Be Next Speaker of the House
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's been mentioned before, but Trump would never take that job. He'd be expected to actually work. And he does not like that. Hence his days being primarily unscheduled "executive time" when he was in office.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:57 pm It's been mentioned before, but Trump would never take that job. He'd be expected to actually work. And he does not like that. Hence his days being primarily unscheduled "executive time" when he was in office.
He would absolutely take it because it would give him a high profile. All media would once again have to pay attention to his every move.

Jared or Stephen Miller would do the actual work, like always.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:57 pm It's been mentioned before, but Trump would never take that job. He'd be expected to actually work. And he does not like that. Hence his days being primarily unscheduled "executive time" when he was in office.
What work does a speaker need to do if they aren't a legislator?
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As Speaker he'd be expected to actually show up in sessions.

I repeat: there is zero chance he'd take the gig. It's too much like work.

Besides, he wants the top job. Anything other than that is an affront to his ego.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Third in line of succession :shock:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

He doesn’t want to run, he wants to ruin.

That’s much easier if he’s permanently holding rallies and fundraising.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:53 am He doesn’t want to run, he wants to ruin.

I feel like a lot of people still don't really get Trump. Sure, he'd be *expected* as Speaker to at least show up and pretend to run things. But he wouldn't be required to, and wouldn't want to, so he wouldn't. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't still want the benefits of being Speaker.

So if Trump were offered the speakership, he'd absolutely take it. Then he'd use that power to elevate Trump toadies to plum committee assignments and to punish anyone on any committee who does anything that he sees as disloyal. He'd use it to fundraise and to generate further grift. He'd send out insane subpoenas of anyone who says anything critical of him, or to further elevate whatever insane conspiracy theory he's peddling. He'd show up at the State of the Union and other events where he gets to be on camera.

But anything else he just wouldn't do. Either he'd have McCarthy or some other toady do it, or it just wouldn't get done - Trump doesn't care.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 am I feel like a lot of people still don't really get Trump. Sure, he'd be *expected* as Speaker to at least show up and pretend to run things. But he wouldn't be required to, and wouldn't want to, so he wouldn't. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't still want the benefits of being Speaker.
Yup - and frankly he could do it from anywhere since it'd come with no constituents. Also who wouldn't believe he wouldn't love to be the only President and Speaker of the House ever. The guy is a black hole of ego. He would never shut up about it because nothing can ever be enough. This is absolutely a thing he would do.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:52 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 am I feel like a lot of people still don't really get Trump. Sure, he'd be *expected* as Speaker to at least show up and pretend to run things. But he wouldn't be required to, and wouldn't want to, so he wouldn't. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't still want the benefits of being Speaker.
Yup - and frankly he could do it from anywhere since it'd come with no constituents. Also who wouldn't believe he wouldn't love to be the only President and Speaker of the House ever. The guy is a black hole of ego. He would never shut up about it because nothing can ever be enough. This is absolutely a thing he would do.
Honestly a tougher question is if he became Speaker in 2023, whether he'd prefer to run for President again vs. just remain as Speaker and push someone like DeSantis for President. As Speaker he could stay in Mar-A-Lago, would have power to harass enemies and reward friends, would have some authority that he could exploit for his own profit, could stay indefinitely (especially once Republicans finish gutting democratic guard rails), and wouldn't ever have to run for election again. It's kind of the perfect gig for him.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 am
Zarathud wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:53 am He doesn’t want to run, he wants to ruin.

I feel like a lot of people still don't really get Trump.
That's how I feel too. Trump would never take the third in command spot. '

On the work side, the Speaker of the House can't just declare daily blind spots of "executive time" as easily as the president can. Not without causing dissension in the ranks that require that post to be the official spokesperson for all of them, at least.

But at the end of the day, it's not the top job. Trump doesn't want it if it isn't. I can't think of any instance in his short political life that would cause anyone to doubt that.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:19 am On the work side, the Speaker of the House can't just declare daily blind spots of "executive time" as easily as the president can. Not without causing dissension in the ranks that require that post to be the official spokesperson for all of them, at least.
As a non-legislator, he wouldn't have to work on legislation or sit in committees. Indeed, he wouldn't be permitted to.

His entire role (as El Guapo pointed out) would be doling out favorable committee assignments, deciding which votes happen, and attacking his enemies from a position no one could ignore. He could do the whole thing on Twitter (which would have to give him his account back).

You're saying he wants to be lazy, but that's not Trump. Trump is absolutely driven to be the center of attention to which everyone defers. He's seething this minute because he's not in the news right now.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:19 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 am

I feel like a lot of people still don't really get Trump.
That's how I feel too. Trump would never take the third in command spot. '

On the work side, the Speaker of the House can't just declare daily blind spots of "executive time" as easily as the president can. Not without causing dissension in the ranks that require that post to be the official spokesperson for all of them, at least.

But at the end of the day, it's not the top job. Trump doesn't want it if it isn't. I can't think of any instance in his short political life that would cause anyone to doubt that.
So, the answer to the first problem is that Trump simply declares that the Speaker is the top spot now, no one can believe how much a Speaker can get done now that he's doing it, etc. His toadies immediately parrot that. Problem solved.

On the second, it's funny that you think that there would be dissension in the ranks about anything that Trump says or does.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Libertarians have long held the House is the top bit of government because they control the purse strings. True or not, Tea Party Trumpism can pivot in and out of that position quicker than you can draw a hurricane line in Louisiana.

That said, given the amount of time he was present as POTUS, I also don't see him sitting in Congress with over 400 other hogs trying to feed at the trough even as perceived top hog.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:32 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:19 am On the work side, the Speaker of the House can't just declare daily blind spots of "executive time" as easily as the president can. Not without causing dissension in the ranks that require that post to be the official spokesperson for all of them, at least.
You're saying he wants to be lazy, but that's not Trump.
It absolutely IS Trump.

He can't use social media to formally make appointment committees. He will actually have to appear in front of people or risk losses. He can't just disappear for 12 hours a day to watch the Gorilla Channel in his (much smaller) residence as Speaker of the House.
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:38 am
it's funny that you think that there would be dissension in the ranks about anything that Trump says or does.
It's even funnier that you think any one of them wouldn't stab him in the back to get ahead if they thought he was faltering.

Trump wants the top job. To him, no other job exists.

But let's just watch. If I'm wrong, I'll readily admit it.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:11 am He can't just disappear for 12 hours a day to watch the Gorilla Channel in his (much smaller) residence as Speaker of the House.
Why not? What mechanism would prevent him from just staying in Mar-A-Lago?

Also, why would you think that any of them would be able to turn on Trump in any meaningful way without getting destroyed by a Trump tweet / the Fox News conservative bubble?
Black Lives Matter.