Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Skinypupy »

I found out today that John Stockton is apparently a ardent anti-vaxxer.
Retired NBA player John Stockton has left fans devastated after appearing in an anti-vaccine documentary.

The former Utah Jazz point guard is in the film, which claims to expose the "truth, lies and misconceptions" of the coronavirus and its subsequent jab.

Stockton featured in the program alongside a slate of "leading experts" after saying that he's done his research on the topic.

In a clip from the documentary, he is heard saying: "This isn't a virus cheating us of this opportunities, it's the guys making decisions saying 'no, no, we're too scared, we're going to shut everything down, sit in your house and be careful.'"

"My kids and my grandkids hearing these things and accepting them as truth, when I know by my significant amount of research that it isn't and it's very frustrating."

In another quote, Stockton is seen questioning if we are missing out on the next Steph Curry because of the coronavirus pandemic.
That's unfortunate. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 pm I'm quite glad there is something official beyond easily forgeable pieces of paper!
Like screenshot-able QR codes? I guess someone could ID you to make sure the name matches.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Stockton featured in the program alongside a slate of "leading experts" after saying that he's done his research watched several YouTube videos on the topic. FTFY
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:33 pm I found out today that John Stockton is apparently a ardent anti-vaxxer.
Retired NBA player John Stockton has left fans devastated after appearing in an anti-vaccine documentary.

The former Utah Jazz point guard is in the film, which claims to expose the "truth, lies and misconceptions" of the coronavirus and its subsequent jab.

Stockton featured in the program alongside a slate of "leading experts" after saying that he's done his research on the topic.

In a clip from the documentary, he is heard saying: "This isn't a virus cheating us of this opportunities, it's the guys making decisions saying 'no, no, we're too scared, we're going to shut everything down, sit in your house and be careful.'"

"My kids and my grandkids hearing these things and accepting them as truth, when I know by my significant amount of research that it isn't and it's very frustrating."

In another quote, Stockton is seen questioning if we are missing out on the next Steph Curry because of the coronavirus pandemic.
That's unfortunate. :?
Can I assume the findings of his research were peer reviewed and verifiable and he'll be presenting it in some objective form or another in the immanent future? Him and the MyPillow guy...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:33 pmIn another quote, Stockton is seen questioning if we are missing out on the next Steph Curry because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Certainly possible, though not in the way Stockton envisions.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:36 pm
gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 pm I'm quite glad there is something official beyond easily forgeable pieces of paper!
Like screenshot-able QR codes? I guess someone could ID you to make sure the name matches.
Right - I assume it's so you can put your phone under a scanner and it would pop up your vaccination details.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hadn't seen that about California - pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:39 pm I hadn't seen that about California - pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing it.
One of my good friends runs the servers for the California Department of Public Health, so I tend to get a heads up for the cool things they are doing. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

An important study on post-COVID-19 outcomes for people that were not hospitalized

NEW: Covid could potentially change the physical structure of the brain.

A new study found shrinkage in several brain areas like the limbic cortex, hippocampus & temporal lobe. These regions are mainly responsible for smell/taste, memory & emotion.
More:
This should be a warning: Brain changes were found in people with MILD illness who were not hospitalized for Covid.

This new study gets us one step closer to understanding the pathogenesis of the neurological features of #LongCovid and what this could mean for our patients.The new #LongCovid findings leave 3 big Qs:
1️⃣ How does the virus damage brain tissue?
2️⃣ Is this damage reversible or permanent?
3️⃣ Are these changes clinically relevant?

This is why vaccination is critical. To prevent Covid and these potential brain changes from Covid.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Do not want.
Zarathud

Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Zarathud »

Brain damage to Republicans sickened by COVID? Isn’t it ironic…
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blueprint for the zombie apocalypse.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:11 pm Blueprint for the zombie apocalypse.
“New findings show that consuming the covid-free brains of others may help combat the affliction.”
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:48 pm Stockton featured in the program alongside a slate of "leading experts" after saying that he's done his research watched several YouTube videos on the topic. FTFY
Which was what I told antivaxxers: watching a couple of conspiracy videos doesn't make you an expert in anything, let alone virology and epidemiology.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Harrowing interview by NPR about potential delta outbreak in SW Missouri
SHAPIRO: What are you seeing in your hospitals right now?

EDWARDS: We've seen our census grow by fivefold in the last month.

SHAPIRO: Fivefold.

EDWARDS: Yeah, dramatic increase, much more dramatic than when we saw the first, you know, big push in last fall and winter - so dramatic increase in patients. They're younger, and they're sicker, and they're coming in later, and there's less we can do for them if they come in later.

SHAPIRO: And can you tell how much of this is attributable to the Delta variant?

EDWARDS: You know, we're not certain because we're not able to do genomic sequencing of our patients in house. But in our local health department, Greene County Health Department, their sequencing shows 90% of all new cases are the Delta variant. So we assume that's the same likely scenario.

SHAPIRO: What's your hospital doing to prepare for these growing numbers?

EDWARDS: The bigger challenge we have is, in the fall, we had as many as 280 traveling nurses supporting our nursing staff, and we don't have travelers now, and travelers are even harder to come by. Plus, the challenge that we have - a lot of pent-up demand, a lot of patients who have grown more acute. So our hospital's actually more full than it was in the peak of the winter.

SHAPIRO: You know, these stories are familiar from a time when vaccines were not available. How does it feel to be going through this when the coronavirus is, at this point, a preventable disease in the U.S.?

EDWARDS: I mean, there's a cultural shift in our staff right now. There was this great sense of teamwork and working together in the winter and fall, and now because of the - they know that everyone - every single case we have in the hospital is not vaccinated, they - our staff's exasperated, exasperated by the politics. They're exasperated by Facebook. They're exasperated by the misinformation. They're exasperated by lies. They're frustrated because they know that while we're taking care of all these patients, we have other patients that also need care, and they couldn't be prevented with a vaccine, where these could.

SHAPIRO: About 38% of people in Missouri are fully vaccinated, relative to 45% nationwide. What's holding back vaccinations in the state?

EDWARDS: I think when we look at the data on hesitancy, it's red versus blue. It is rural versus urban. We have challenges with evangelical faith that have greater hesitancy, and that really describes southwest Missouri. It's a rural conservative area with a strong evangelical faith element, and that tends to be what's driving low vaccination rates.

SHAPIRO: Have you had any conversations with sick patients who chose not to get the vaccine? Like, what do they say when they're coming to you in dire straits?

EDWARDS: Most of them have regret they didn't take it seriously. yeah, some of them still come across like this isn't real. They don't believe us. They don't believe they have COVID. And so that's even more mystifying to us. But generally, it's a great sense of regret.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

SEE ALSO: Mesa County, CO

Mesa county, CO is seeing hospitalization increases due to delta variant. It has a population that’s 39% fully vaccinated . In the next phase of this pandemic, local realities are going to be even more disparate based on vaccination rates.
From the linked article:
Thomas Tobin, the chief medical officer for Community Hospital, said all 44 beds in his facility are in use.

"COVID is just taking up capacity that could otherwise be used for the normal stuff that we take care of," he said Thursday afternoon. "I guess, to be blunt, it's frustrating to me because at this point, this is preventable. If our vaccination rate was higher, we wouldn't be seeing this."

He and Stephanie Busch, a spokeswoman for Mesa County Public Health, attributed the low vaccination rate to hesitancy of residents to get inoculated. They said there's plenty of vaccine available in the county, but a combination of fear and procrastination is keeping residents away from needle.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

This will continue to happen in lesser vaccinated regions. Most projections show Delta blowing up in the fall in rural areas, mostly Southern. How schools return in the fall will be a huge factor.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 am This will continue to happen in lesser vaccinated regions. Most projections show Delta blowing up in the fall in rural areas, mostly Southern. How schools return in the fall will be a huge factor.
There's still some magic unknown number that would help us make predictions - I'm thinking its going to be an equation involving a combination of community vaccination levels and population density. The experiment continues...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm feeling this tweet, currently.

Wait wait wait hold up, does this mean we are *checks notes* still in a pandemic? And that the CDC maybe should’ve held off having us throw our masks into active volcanoes in front of a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So, how are the Olympics going in Japan?
It marked the first detection of the coronavirus among incoming athletes five weeks ahead of the competition at a time when cases are surging in many countries, including Japan.

Uganda’s team had all been vaccinated with AstraZeneca shots and tested negative for the virus before departure, Japanese media reported, according to the Associated Press. Japan requires a two-week quarantine for international travelers, though it is waiving the rule for many Olympic athletes and support staffers.

Upon arrival Saturday night at Tokyo’s Narita International Airport, one member of Uganda’s team tested positive. That person was denied entry into Japan and sent to a government-run facility. The team’s remaining eight members continued as planned Sunday to the host town of Osaka.
To clarify the policy:
Under Japan’s rules, Olympians are not required to be vaccinated against the coronavirus but will need to remain in designated social bubbles and test daily.
Good luck.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

WTF? Why wouldn't Japan require the athletes to be vaccinated?

I'm sure when these young athletes get their first chance to enjoy the marathon sex orgy that the Olympic village reportedly is, they will be very good about staying in their bubbles.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a way to discourage them, condoms are only being given as a parting gift.

I think they want to make sure they leave with COVID-19 and an STI.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, it makes me feel better as an American from the fact that America doesn't seem to have a monopoly on idiots making significant decisions.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last Week Tonight covered it in the first segment. Japan is at 6% vaccinated.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:30 pm Last Week Tonight covered it in the first segment. Japan is at 6% vaccinated.
Also mentioned that Japan can't decide to postpone the Olympics - only the IOC can. And the IOC has said it's full steam ahead.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:30 pm Last Week Tonight covered it in the first segment. Japan is at 6% vaccinated.
Also mentioned that Japan can't decide to postpone the Olympics - only the IOC can. And the IOC has said it's full steam ahead.
But Japan said no...what could the IOC do? Invade?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As with all things, the real winners would be the lawyers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My mom is now on the "don't vaccinate your kids!" bandwagon. She got the vaccine right away, but somehow thinks it's going to have some sort of detrimental effects on my soon-to-be 12 year old. She's been talking to my aunt, and my aunt is a huge conspiracy nut, alarmist, etc.

I told her my daughter would be getting it as soon as possible, and she could take her paranoia elsewhere.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:53 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 am This will continue to happen in lesser vaccinated regions. Most projections show Delta blowing up in the fall in rural areas, mostly Southern. How schools return in the fall will be a huge factor.
There's still some magic unknown number that would help us make predictions - I'm thinking its going to be an equation involving a combination of community vaccination levels and population density. The experiment continues...
The projections use various different worst/best/middle assumption combinations but they all still have the fall looking bad down South.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Broad overview of the Delta variant from trusted voices:
Lineage B.1.617.2, now known as the Delta variant, was first detected in India, in December, 2020. An evolved version of SARS-CoV-2, Delta has at least a dozen mutations, including several on its spike protein that make it vastly more contagious and possibly more lethal and vaccine-resistant than other strains. In India, the Delta variant contributed to the most devastating coronavirus wave the world has seen so far; now, it has been detected in dozens of countries, including the United States. In the U.S., it accounts for a minority of cases—but it is rapidly outcompeting other variants, and will likely soon become our dominant lineage.

One vitally important finding to emerge from the U.K. and India is that the COVID vaccines are still spectacularly effective against Delta. According to one study from the U.K., a full course of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is ninety-six per cent effective at preventing hospitalizations due to the Delta variant; AstraZeneca’s vaccine is in the same ballpark, reducing the chance of hospitalization by ninety-two per cent. But these findings come with caveats. The first is that, with Delta, partial immunization appears to be less effective at preventing disease: a different study found that, for people who have received only the first shot, the vaccines were just thirty-three per cent effective at preventing symptomatic illness. (A first dose still appears to offer strong protection against hospitalization or death.) The second is that even full courses of the vaccines appear somewhat less effective at preventing infection from Delta. This may be especially true of the non-mRNA vaccines.

In America, the speed of vaccination is slowing. In some states, mainly in the South, only about a third of the population has been fully vaccinated. Big differences in the COVID-19 toll are already visible: cases and hospitalizations have plummeted in some places with higher vaccination rates but are holding steady or rising in others. Fortunately, nearly ninety per cent of older Americans—the group most at risk for severe COVID—have received at least one shot, and three-quarters are fully vaccinated. But, as is clear from the Indian and U.K. experiences, the Delta variant could still lead to major spikes in infection among younger, unvaccinated people.
And what I want to beat into people that keep telling me "the pandemic is over"
Globally, more people died of the coronavirus in the first half of this year than in all of last year—an astounding fact, given the emergence of the vaccines. The tragic truth is that, for much of the world, the vaccines may as well not exist. On the one hand, the U.S. is vaccinating children as young as twelve; on the other hand, health-care workers, elderly people, and cancer patients in many other countries remain defenseless. Three-quarters of COVID-vaccine shots have been administered in just ten countries, whereas the poorest nations have received less than one half of one per cent of the supply. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the W.H.O. director-general, has called this a “scandalous inequity.”
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

So many world disaster movies need to be remade to make them more accurate. “A world united? Nah. Our country is now protected from the global alien invasion, so now we’re just going to go back to movie theaters and sports arenas while the rest of the world is systematically made to start slaving away in underground alien salt mines.”
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've used that counter-argument a time or two against some of my vaccine-hesitant co-workers. The government tells you what to do all the time. Do you pay taxes? Did you get a driver's license?

And in this case the argument is even more dumb because the government's not even forcing you to do it. They're just hoping you will because you're not a selfish uninformed idiot.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:43 pm So many world disaster movies need to be remade to make them more accurate. “A world united? Nah. Our country is now protected from the global alien invasion, so now we’re just going to go back to movie theaters and sports arenas while the rest of the world is systematically made to start slaving away in underground alien salt mines.”
See also, 'avoid it like the plague.'
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:43 pm So many world disaster movies need to be remade to make them more accurate. “A world united? Nah. Our country is now protected from the global alien invasion, so now we’re just going to go back to movie theaters and sports arenas while the rest of the world is systematically made to start slaving away in underground alien salt mines.”
Well, considering that history (and today) is rife with humans actively enslaving other humans, the passive act of allowing a technologically superior life form to enslave the rest of humanity might be considered an improvement.

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 pm
Well, considering that history (and today) is rife with humans actively enslaving other humans, the passive act of allowing a technologically superior life form to enslave the rest of humanity might be considered an improvement.
Are you saying that you, for one, welcome our new overlords?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:43 am
One vitally important finding to emerge from the U.K. and India is that the COVID vaccines are still spectacularly effective against Delta. According to one study from the U.K., a full course of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is ninety-six per cent effective at preventing hospitalizations due to the Delta variant; AstraZeneca’s vaccine is in the same ballpark, reducing the chance of hospitalization by ninety-two per cent.
Is there any significance to the fact that they are focusing on the effectiveness of the vaccines at preventing hospitalization rather than preventing infection?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:19 am
One vitally important finding to emerge from the U.K. and India is that the COVID vaccines are still spectacularly effective against Delta. According to one study from the U.K., a full course of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is ninety-six per cent effective at preventing hospitalizations due to the Delta variant; AstraZeneca’s vaccine is in the same ballpark, reducing the chance of hospitalization by ninety-two per cent.
Is there any significance to the fact that they are focusing on the effectiveness of the vaccines at preventing hospitalization rather than preventing infection?
Smoove can answer this more definitively, but I think it's much harder to track infections than it is hospitalizations, especially since many asymptomatic people may never get tested.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:38 am
Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:19 am
Smoove can answer this more definitively, but I think it's much harder to track infections than it is hospitalizations, especially since many asymptomatic people may never get tested.
Which is why, he will likely point out, we need robust random testing. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes!

Perfect example of why surveillance data of vaccinated people is helpful. If we're only looking at hospital admissions, we're not getting all the information.