Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Skinypupy »

Do kindly fuck off, Roy Blunt

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) says when Stacey Abrams endorsed Sen. Joe Manchin's (D-WV) voting rights proposal, "it became the Stacey Abrams substitute, not the Joe Manchin substitute."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The man has so much intelligence just in his eyes its scary.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh hey look

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was asked about Sen. Joe Manchin’s voting rights compromise, and he said *****no Republican would support it*****
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So, Manchin-whisperers: Does he reevaluate his stance on filibuster reform now, or just fold?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:47 pm So, Manchin-whisperers: Does he reevaluate his stance on filibuster reform now, or just fold?

Joe Manchkin is just taking the heat for a number of DINO's that don't want anything to change. The Vichycrat's all want the same thing the Republican's do. To be re-elected and to continue to enjoy their positions of power. The rake in the cash by writing hair on fire messages to "STOP THE REPUBLICANS GIVE NOW!!1" Without the filibuster they would be exposed as the bottom feeding worthless bloated ticks on a dogs anus that they are.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Who the hell doesn't think the Democrats are bad at politics? I'll raise that to appallingly incompetent!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Twitter has a high Dem loyalist baseline - something like D+12%. They get tetchy when you point out their party us clownshoes.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Facebook feels like the opposite. No matter how much they say they are quitting fb it seems to be mostly Trump supporters posting nonsense.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 am Twitter has a high Dem loyalist baseline - something like D+12%. They get tetchy when you point out their party us clownshoes.
Seems like those Twitter Ds are disproportionately Bernie-esque "burn the party down" types, though.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:42 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 am Twitter has a high Dem loyalist baseline - something like D+12%. They get tetchy when you point out their party us clownshoes.
Seems like those Twitter Ds are disproportionately Bernie-esque "burn the party down" types, though.
True. I can't find it right now but something like the top 1% of Twitter posters are D+40% or something insane. They definitely have a much louder voice than in the population.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 am OO has a high Dem loyalist baseline. They get tetchy when you point out their party us clownshoes.
FTFY
He/Him/His/Porcupine
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:35 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 am OO has a high Dem loyalist baseline. They get tetchy when you point out their party us clownshoes.
FTFY
FYI, this is you doing exactly what you do again. It's trolling. And it's intended to tweak people. And then, when people respond, you'll play the victim. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to change your behavior.

I used to try to just assume that you were attempting to make a joke that simply wasn't funny. But after watching you do it over and over and over and over.... well, I'm just not sure. It feels more like trolling now than like a joke that simply fell flat.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

A light hearted jab at my fellow forumers.
I'll try to be more cognizant that skins are becoming thinner and thinner round here......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm A light hearted jab at my fellow forumers.
I'll try to be more cognizant that skins are becoming thinner and thinner round here......
Rather than continue digging, I would instead suggest trying to absorb the well-intentioned guidance that long-term members like TheMix are communicating to you.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:05 pm And it's intended to tweak people.
And my Lord....doesnt that describe 90% of the posts in R&P?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:05 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:35 pm
FTFY
FYI, this is you doing exactly what you do again. It's trolling. And it's intended to tweak people. And then, when people respond, you'll play the victim. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to change your behavior.

I used to try to just assume that you were attempting to make a joke that simply wasn't funny. But after watching you do it over and over and over and over.... well, I'm just not sure. It feels more like trolling now than like a joke that simply fell flat.
An adult would just find someplace else to hang out if they hated everyone so much.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:15 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm A light hearted jab at my fellow forumers.
Rather than continue digging, I would instead suggest trying to absorb the well-intentioned guidance that long-term members like TheMix are communicating to you.
That's what being more cognizant means.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:16 pm An adult.......
What would you, of all people, know about that?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enough to know I would find someplace else to hang out if I hated most of those around me.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:19 pm Enough to know I would find someplace else to hang out if I hated most of those around me.
Hate is a very strong word.
I think outside of R&P, we all get along just fine.
Once I dip my toes in these waters though........yikes.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was trying to be as non-emotional about it as possible. I wanted to point out the behavior and how it could be perceived. In case you really did want to know. And you chose to follow it up with another jab? Here's my honest, no-strings-attached question: do you think you are funny?

I don't think that you have the history around here that you think you do. It's fine to make a light-hearted jab. But for that to work, everyone has to understand that that's what it is. But I don't think you have that persona. It certainly didn't come across as a light-hearted jab to me. And looking at your most recent interactions with malchior, do you honestly think he's going to see it that way? There are ways to make it obvious that something is not meant to be taken serious (like the potentially over-used emoticons). But when you include nothing, and you don't have a history for making jokes (like hepcat or dbt), well, then it comes across as a serious statement. i.e. you calling out the members of the forum for their behavior/reaction to criticism.

Of course, you don't have to change. You can continue to be the victim. When you are "misunderstood", it will be our fault. I had just thought that the point of your comments recently were that you wanted things to change.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Here... I'm no hepcat (as my dramatically thinning hair can attest), but here's my attempt at humor:
OO has a high clown loyalist baseline. They get tetchy when you point out their party as Dems.
:banana-blonde:

Black Lives Matter

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:24 pm Of course, you don't have to change. You can continue to be the victim. When you are "misunderstood", it will be our fault. I had just thought that the point of your comments recently were that you wanted things to change.
See this is the rub.
When I do post something that is intended to just add a contribution to the discussion here, inevitably it's met with jabs or angst or unwarranted commentary.

Change can only happen if it's allowed to happen.
I really dont think that is the case here.
I have a reputation, whether I feel it's right or not, and certain members hang onto it and wont let it go.
Thus......the circle continues.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:24 pm Here's my honest, no-strings-attached question: do you think you are funny?
So as to not derail this thread anymore, (growth, right?) I'll post my response to this in the meta thread.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:24 pmI don't think that you have the history around here that you think you do. It's fine to make a light-hearted jab. But for that to work, everyone has to understand that that's what it is. But I don't think you have that persona. It certainly didn't come across as a light-hearted jab to me. And looking at your most recent interactions with malchior, do you honestly think he's going to see it that way? There are ways to make it obvious that something is not meant to be taken serious (like the potentially over-used emoticons). But when you include nothing, and you don't have a history for making jokes (like hepcat or dbt), well, then it comes across as a serious statement. i.e. you calling out the members of the forum for their behavior/reaction to criticism.
I mean I just sort of blew it off because light-hearted jab or not it seemed to be a lazy comment in general. Not worth the fuss at least is how I see it. I definitely didn't take it to be directed at me. I mean it'd be ironic when it's an edit of a post calling the party of the left clownshoes. 8-)

Back on the main topic though S.1 is up for a vote tomorrow. Sorta. I mean they say they scheduled a vote but there won't be a vote as McConnell whispers the power word for his 8th level 'filibuster' spell.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Moved to meta thread.
Last edited by TheMix on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:35 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:24 pm Here's my honest, no-strings-attached question: do you think you are funny?
So as to not derail this thread anymore, (growth, right?) I'll post my response to this in the meta thread.
Good call. I'll move mine as well.

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm moving all mine to General Gaming....
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Edit: me too, to meta.
Last edited by Unagi on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 am Who the hell doesn't think the Democrats are bad at politics? I'll raise that to appallingly incompetent!
It'd be nice if they could, you know, figure it out. I'm not sure why it's hard. Well, I have guesses.

Politics right now is like watching two sides of a rope pulling contest. One side are mostly lined up and pulling in the same direction to yank their opponents into the pit. The other side has opted to split their rope into 43 individual lines and pull on all of them in different directions. A few have decided that sitting and cloud-watching is more optimal.

It's really sad. For America. It doesn't work when it's a one-party nation.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It's frustrating, because the only choices are incompetent vs. evil. I'd dearly love to vote for a progressive party that was out to kick ass and take names, but sadly that's not in our stupid limited two party system.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm our stupid limited two party system.
this is still a problem
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:53 pm
gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm our stupid limited two party system.
this is still a problem
Indeed.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:56 pm
gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 am Who the hell doesn't think the Democrats are bad at politics? I'll raise that to appallingly incompetent!
It'd be nice if they could, you know, figure it out. I'm not sure why it's hard. Well, I have guesses.

Politics right now is like watching two sides of a rope pulling contest. One side are mostly lined up and pulling in the same direction to yank their opponents into the pit. The other side has opted to split their rope into 43 individual lines and pull on all of them in different directions. A few have decided that sitting and cloud-watching is more optimal.

It's really sad. For America. It doesn't work when it's a one-party nation.
Democrats are a coalition. Republicans are a cult.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Meanwhile trolling the far right news sites I see that Trump gave another interview saying he never conceded and that Pence should have sent the election back to the states. We should have the wonderful audit results soon which I'm sure won't be totally cooked numbers. ;) I'm expected the 4th of July will have some kind of nutty protest from his clan. So depressing how one shitty man can cause so much trouble. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's not just one man. It's the GOP mainstream that only cares about money and power. It's also the sad, pathetic incompetent Democrats who are essentially their cowed handmaids cleaning up the mess in time for the GOP to swing back through and fuck some more shit up.

I was just reading about through the For The People Act coverage and its clear this wasn't even really a serious effort. Manchin's 'bipartisan deal' talk was self-promotion and Biden didn't give a damn about the bill at all. He spent zero capital on the most pressing issue in our democracy. It's insane when you can clearly hear them correctly identify the danger to democracy and on the other hand pretend they'll try to do something about it without any real effort. It's very hard not to feel it is hopeless right now.

Edit: One more thing - if you haven't seen some of the deep dives the reason Democrats in Congress are mad at Manchin about all this? He won't sign on to this procedural vote today to fail overcoming the filibuster. They want to have a unified response to try to open debate. Which I get if the plan was to carve out a filibuster change to allow this to pass. Instead it is so that they can say they 'tried for 2022'. That's their plan. Seriously. That's the actual plan. "Hey guys we tried real hard, please vote for us. We promise we'll get stuff done next time." Their own version of Lucy holding the ball to their increasingly incredulous base. It's madness. :grund:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:26 pm It's not just one man. It's the GOP mainstream that only cares about money and power. It's also the sad, pathetic incompetent Democrats who are essentially their cowed handmaids cleaning up the mess in time for the GOP to swing back through and fuck some more shit up.
This, this 1,000x this.

Except for the first time, I am actually starting to consider the possibility that the old school/mainstream D's are not fighting tooth and nail for a reason. I'm not sure it's JUST cowardice and incompetence. I think it's very possible they realized (probably a while back), that they Lost with a capital "L". Won the battle, lost the war, and all that.

It's like some deep R strategist started playing the long game decades ago maybe, and it was such a slow burn, that no one REALLY noticed until recently. By now, it's too late. All the work that has been done under the radar for years has finally come to fruition for them. The gerrymandering, the courts, the state governments, etc.....it's all kind of culminating....now. What do the dems have? The Executive. Nothing to sneeze at, sure, but it PALES in comparison to the underlying might of the Empi....Republican power stranglehold.

It might explain why so many of these older school R's seem to have absolutely NO problem telegraphing these shocking, UNPRECEDENTED thoughts, whereas before they were playing a lot more closely to the vest. Openly flauting the norms and rules was probably not smart until they were sure they had things in the bag. Because they KNOW they've won, too.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Big news! They did it. They have their super duper strong message for 2022 locked down!

Edit: LOL - to achieve this epic victory Schumer had to announce that he promised Manchin that his bipartisan compromise would be the first amendment to be considered if they get 10 Republicans to sign on. The world's *GREATEST* *DELIBERATIVE* *BODY* is working again!

Last edited by malchior on Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Buried in the article:
Even with Manchin’s yes vote, the effort is expected to fall far short of the numbers needed to overcome Republicans’ filibuster.
Maybe next year, maybe no go