Things trump got sort of right, more or less

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

msteelers

Re: Things trump got sort of right, more or less

Post by msteelers »

Jaymon wrote:He wasn't the president we needed. He was the president we deserved.
Sad but true
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Maybe he educated the American public on the need to get the hell off their collective asses and vote every time no matter how "in the bag" they think it is for their candidate?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Trump did raise the federal minimum age to buy tobacco products from 18 to 21, so there’s that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pmYup, that was what I had in mind. Despite the clumsy trade war and all those tariffs that we've paid, the issue of IP theft is at least out in the open now, and is going to have to be addressed as part of re-normalization.
Actually IP issues were a huge cornerstone in the TPP agreement. It would have committed all the signatories to protecting IP rights and put pressure on China. Now that China has formed its own economic sphere they don't need to worry about IP rights at this scale. They'll probably make some improvements but continue to steal away. Here is a opinion piece that goes into the details. I'm all for giving credit where it is due but he doesn't deserve any credit for this. Obama had set it up already and built the tough partnerships to make it work and Trump gave it all away to China.
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 pmThere should never be any treating of him as a flawed but sincere opponent. He's a criminal who abused the power he was given, and he kept at it until the very end. He's doing it right now.
I think there were likely some people that were brought into the administration who genuinely were good actors. But they remained good actors by flying under Trump's radar of corruption or as you said accidental good acts or ones that aligned with his personal interests. He is an aberration but I'm sure there are some bright spots. The national security people mostly held up for instance. That is a bit of faint praise and anecdotally I know a lot of "agency" cybersecurity people fled out into the private sector. Maybe they'll go back but for my vantage the pay jump makes it a one-way street.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 am
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 pmThere should never be any treating of him as a flawed but sincere opponent. He's a criminal who abused the power he was given, and he kept at it until the very end. He's doing it right now.
I think there were likely some people that were brought into the administration who genuinely were good actors. But they remained good actors by flying under Trump's radar of corruption or as you said accidental good acts or ones that aligned with his personal interests. He is an aberration but I'm sure there are some bright spots. The national security people mostly held up for instance. That is a bit of faint praise and anecdotally I know a lot of "agency" cybersecurity people fled out into the private sector. Maybe they'll go back but for my vantage the pay jump makes it a one-way street.
I'm sure there were plenty of highly decent people sprinkled throughout lower levels of the administration. (We saw a few of them when they came to testify, for example...)

But if good actors did good by flying under the radar, they certainly aren't anything *Trump* did right.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I don't think we have to worry about Trump getting "the Bush treatment," where we have rich liberals talking about what a great guy he is 10 years from now.

If nothing else, he's made it perfectly clear he doesn't want it and won't accept it.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pretty sure he once called the whole Russia thing, “A Fake Witch Hunt”, which kinda means it wasn’t a witch hunt.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:38 am He didn't start any wars. Bad as he was, he has definitely been the President least inclined to military action that we've had in a long time.
+1

I worry that BidenHarris will owe-ski too much to whatever organisms kicked in all of that dark money. I fear that we will be in a new shooting war by May 2021. I Sooooo Hope I'm wrong and Biden is the sweet old fellow you all assure me that he is.

We make more enemies with foreign military entanglements than we can count and those grudges last for generations.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am I worry that BidenHarris will owe-ski too much to whatever organisms kicked in all of that dark money.
Um, what?
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am
Yojimbo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am I worry that BidenHarris will owe-ski too much to whatever organisms kicked in all of that dark money.
Um, what?
Sorry, obscure on my part. 501(c) organizations that support candidates with money that is largely untraceable. One can hope that much of this money is given freely with no strings attached. One also can hope that the creek will run with Lime Jarritos any day now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... r-n1239830
https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespen ... e=U&chrt=P

That's a smack ton of money given Either for Biden or against Trump. Since Trump repeatedly refused to start any new wars, I have the logical concern that some of the people who want him out might be selling tanks and not shampoo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:38 am
Um, what?
Sorry, obscure on my part. 501(c) organizations that support candidates with money that is largely untraceable. One can hope that much of this money is given freely with no strings attached. One also can hope that the creek will run with Lime Jarritos any day now.

That's a smack ton of money given Either for Biden or against Trump. Since Trump repeatedly refused to start any new wars, I have the logical concern that some of the people who want him out might be selling tanks and not shampoo.
I agree with no new wars (at least until he lost the election - fingers crossed). And Moscow Mitch opposed the troop draw down...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:38 am
Um, what?

I know what Dark Money is. It's your assumption that donors want a war that seems ridiculously specific.

And in case you weren't watching, weapon manufacturers did enormously well under Trump. Raytheon's revenue went up significantly every year under Trump, including a 40% (!!) increase in 2020. Lockheed and Grumman also did very well.
Last edited by Holman on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Getting boots off the ground in the middle east is always a good goal. Let the middle east sort itself out. They will be irrelevant in ten years anyway (fingers crossed).
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:03 am
Agree with both posts. Now you have to fight JeffV for the thread. :horse:
Nah, the beer would get in the way and we'd just end up in a drunken hug.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think someone already touched on this, but maybe trump's doing us a backhanded favor by uncovering our system's holes and blind spots -- showing how much is governed my norms and expectations or by unenforceable laws. Whether that gives the next wannabe dictator a handy road map, or allows us to fix the exploits, is up to Moscow Mitch. We could start by reining in an outgoing president's authority during the lame duckency, such as by restricting his power to fire and appoint people in the interregnum, for example.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

He was right the election was rigged, but it wasn't the democrats doing the rigging.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Trump "recommended" that Emily Murphy begin the transition process to a Joe Biden Presidency.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Frum's an anti-Trump conservative who is a restrictionist on immigration, so I don't agree with the asylum changes that he includes in here, but otherwise this seems like a pretty reasonable list.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He correctly determined the vote in Wisconsin was not 100% correct, so he demanded an audit in order to reduce his count by 271 votes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is that an “Old Man Yells at Cloud” image ?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 pm Is that an “Old Man Yells at Cloud” image ?
Old people know thats where the computers are these days. They aint dumb.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Agolf demanded $2,000 per person in Covid19 relief. It had no chance of getting approved by Repugnicans in Congress, and my sink their ship in the GA runoff.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 pm Agolf demanded $2,000 per person in Covid19 relief. It had no chance of getting approved by Repugnicans in Congress, and my sink their ship in the GA runoff.
The Donkeys should have already prepared a Georgia advertising campaign ruthlessly attacking the Elephants on their non-support of hard hit families and businesses. They should be leaking these ads now to potential fence-sitters, and maybe even Moscow Mitch to put some fear into him.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Purdue and Loeffler came out in support of the $2000, which is clearly just an effort to help their runoff chances. After all, both were very recently on record as being against any direct payments.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moscow Mitch is not allowing a vote on the $2,000 relief amount, paying lip service to Afolf's 230 idiocy and voter "fraud." Doubt if that will save him from the wrath of the Twittler.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just a thought...

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The 14 points of light...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I found one!

Former president Trump called Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell a “dumb son of a bitch”...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Eh I wouldn't call Mitch dumb at all. He is evil, conniving, greedy, mean, assholy, did I say evil?, power hungry, ruthless, hell bound, evil, and evil mean.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

sort of
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

His ineptitude contributed to one of the greatest workplace shifts I can remember, where millions of people suddenly discovered that they could work from home and their employers suddenly had to be okay with that.

This is not a paradigm that will easily fall backwards and will likely only gain momentum.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

95% of these are accidental, incidental or “in the shadows, unbeknownst to Trump”. Based on the OP none of those should count.

Is the spirit of the question not “what did TRUMP himself actively do that was a positive thing.”?

i.e.
-Spearheaded a massive infrastructure initiative
-Helped reform healthcare in a meaningful way
-Specifically looked for, and found life on a different planet.

Both the Rx drug cost reform and the criminal justice reform are “W’s” for him I think. Until we find out three months from now that the Rx deal was dirty AF and the Trump campaign somehow benefited greatly.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Although there was recognition of the need to upgrade American infrastructure from both sides of the political aisle, no major infrastructure bill was passed due to disagreements over the details of such a spending package, namely, what to spend on, how much to spend, and how to pay for it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:19 pm 95% of these are accidental, incidental or “in the shadows, unbeknownst to Trump”. Based on the OP none of those should count.

Is the spirit of the question not “what did TRUMP himself actively do that was a positive thing.”?

i.e.
-Spearheaded a massive infrastructure initiative
-Helped reform healthcare in a meaningful way
-Specifically looked for, and found life on a different planet.

Both the Rx drug cost reform and the criminal justice reform are “W’s” for him I think. Until we find out three months from now that the Rx deal was dirty AF and the Trump campaign somehow benefited greatly.
I'm hesitant to give him much credit for criminal justice reform. It had little to do with Trump. In fact, you can thank Jared for badgering Trump to signal he'd sign the bill which eased its passage. Trump was against it initially. In the end this was mostly Congress actually doing its job for once. Even if Trump had vetoed it...it had a lot of votes. It might have survived through a veto override but who knows if they would have dared to cross 'dear leader'.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So we’re down to one thing?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Maybe I've already floated this one, but I think the guy deserves some credit for Operation Warp Speed, even if his role was just to greenlight it and stay out of the way.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:19 pm 95% of these are accidental, incidental or “in the shadows, unbeknownst to Trump”. Based on the OP none of those should count.

Artemis. A good thing (accelerating a trip back to the moon) even if for bad reasons (look how awesome Trump is!!1).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 am

Artemis. A good thing (accelerating a trip back to the moon) even if for bad reasons (look how awesome Trump is!!1).
This is a good example of trump only accidentally doing something positive.

Obama abandoned Bush's moon plans in favor of shifting versions of an asteroid mission, which nobody ever warmed to. Trump's people returned the focus to the moon, where it should have stayed, and got the boss's buy-in by promising that the landing would occur in his second term. Then, in an Oval Office photo op with Jim Bridenstine and Buzz Aldrin, trump revealed his lack of interest in Artemis by telling Bridenstine that NASA really ought to listen to Buzz, who advocated bypassing the moon and heading straight for Mars. Even as Bridenstine tried to explain why the moon was the way to Mars, it was clear that trump was only interested in maximizing publicity and reflected glory. For a long nail-biting moment it looked like trump might overturn his own policy and send NASA back to the drawing board again.

What trump got right was reversing Obama's detour and reviving Bush's policy, which was possible because Constellation --> SLS/Orion survived all of these changes. Even if he only did it because he was obsessed with reversing everything Obama, he finally set NASA on a sustainable path to a worthy goal -- one that Biden is carrying forward.

For a better example of trump actively doing a positive thing, I'd point to promoting the commercial crew initiative. As a wannabe capitalist, that was more in trump's wheelhouse.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think an asteroid mission would be awesome.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote:I think an asteroid mission would be awesome.
We have a few of those.
It's almost as if people are the problem.