The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:49 pm This is an interesting take. I wonder if 'red states' will rush through 'anti-COVID discrimination' legislation like they've been taking back emergency powers.
Like these?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Some info about what's happening in NYC:

According to Very Important People™, we've moved, in the last 7 days, from a situation of vaccine scarcity to appointments going unreserved.

Here in NYC, only 44% of residents have had at least one shot.

This is.... bad.
Basically, if this is a snapshot of what we can expect nationwide, we're in a new phase and our vaccination strategy needs to change; we need to be focusing on the hesitant and making sure whatever barriers to vaccination exist are removed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Free vaccinations by DoorDash.

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:27 pm Free vaccinations by DoorDash.
You laugh, but in the before times there were pilot vaccination programs done by Uber (2014-2016) and UPS(2019). I know in Jerz they were doing mobile vaccinations for the homebound using J&J, but that all stopped.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Waiting for an article, but the number of clots associated with J&J is now up to 15 women, only two were using oral contraceptives; none were pregnant or postpartum. 7 were medically obese.

They're discussing it now, and allegedly voting on what to do ~5pm.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pm We need more vaccinations at breweries!
Genius.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They have a great tour even if a vax wasn't involved.
malchior

Post by malchior »

These reporters...are...the...worst. Imagine you have access to the spokesperson for the President. Is this is what you would actually ask? Repeatedly? Really?

malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a US Senator folks.

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

As good an idea as I think vaccines are, I don't think we can force them on people. Bodily autonomy is a thing.

But we can certainly encourage them.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Little Raven wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:50 pm As good an idea as I think vaccines are, I don't think we can force them on people. Bodily autonomy is a thing.
Well, unless you're pregnant. Then (according to the GOP), body autonomy doesn't exist.

Regardless, you're correct - we're not going to force anyone to do anything vaccinated related. However, I fully believe (and support) policies and protocols that make sure those that are willfully choosing to skip being vaccinated aren't able to fully benefit from the social contract I've agreed to.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Got my second shot (Moderna) last night. So far so good. No real reaction symptoms that I can point to, but my body doesn't feel "right" or "normal". Of course that could all be in my head. Both my brothers and sister in law had fatigue, aches and fever for about a day starting about 24 hours after receiving their shots, so we'll see how it goes. But all is ok for now.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, that's how I felt after my second Moderna shot. Arm pain increased significantly after ~8 hours. Next day was body aches and I had that "foggy" feeling you're talking about for a full 48 hours later, post shot. No fever; no other symptoms. Relatively minor, imho. Hopefully you're in the same position. Just listen to your body. Naps are your friend (but I strongly suspect you already know that).
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

As soon as a vaccine or vaccines get formal FDA approval, employers will be able to require workers to be vaccinated. And I think they will, especially after what happened at the nursing home from an unvaccinated worker who caused a death. That equals liability to corps, and they don't like liability.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Massachusetts has the lowest vaccine hesitancy in the nation.
Only 6.98 percent of residents were hesitant to get the vaccine, the lowest percentage in the nation. That contrasted with the highest state in the nation, Wyoming, where more than 30 percent of people were hesitant, according to the federal estimates.

Still, within Massachusetts, the estimated percentage of people who are hesitant to take the vaccine varied, from 8.68 percent in Bristol County to 5.8 percent in Norfolk County (the least hesitant county in the nation), according to the estimates.
I live in Norfolk County. Once we can include children, herd immunity will be ours.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

J&J is back on, and polls show that the pause seemingly did not increase vaccine hesitancy. I've never been happier to be wrongish.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:17 pm

:think:
1. Congrats on 70,000 posts. I just re-read all of them.
2. This is your most confusing post. What do tax rates have to do with vaccine hesitancy?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1. Thank you
2. The wife wants to move somewhere colder and a lot of places are in play for a lot of reasons.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:21 am 1. Thank you
2. The wife wants to move somewhere colder and a lot of places are in play for a lot of reasons.
Ah, OK. I didn't realize that post was for her.

For Mrs Isg then, I've lived in MA since 1986 and still love it here. I deleted at least 10 attempted sentences after that one because IDK what you're arguing about. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The two braking factors are my career and her MIL is residence.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 pm As soon as a vaccine or vaccines get formal FDA approval, employers will be able to require workers to be vaccinated. And I think they will, especially after what happened at the nursing home from an unvaccinated worker who caused a death. That equals liability to corps, and they don't like liability.
At least until state governments make that illegal. I don't comprehend how 'anti-vaxxer' is now being treated as a protected class.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:38 am
Lorini wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 pm As soon as a vaccine or vaccines get formal FDA approval, employers will be able to require workers to be vaccinated. And I think they will, especially after what happened at the nursing home from an unvaccinated worker who caused a death. That equals liability to corps, and they don't like liability.
At least until state governments make that illegal. I don't comprehend how 'anti-vaxxer' is now being treated as a protected class.
Federal labor board (which is the final arbitrator on labor issues) has already issued a statement. And anti-vaxxer is not a protected class in any way shape or form so if an employer decided to require vaccinations, employees would have to get them. Now there *may* be a religious exception but I do not know about that either way.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:01 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:49 pm This is an interesting take. I wonder if 'red states' will rush through 'anti-COVID discrimination' legislation like they've been taking back emergency powers.
Ohio was trying to a few weeks ago (IIRC) - trying to make it illegal to discriminate based on vaccination status. However, they didn't specifically state COVID, it was *all* vaccines. So (for example) the current policies of Ohio hospitals to require annual flu vaccines for employment would be tossed.
Labor board has said employers can do it. Now I would think there'd be plenty of push back by businesses over a law like this because the businesses are on the hook for the liability. Now if the state wants to cover the liability costs then that'd be fine, but as long as businesses would be held liable for Covid infections/deaths then they are not going to accept that laying down I wouldn't think. Universities are already doing it.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:44 am And anti-vaxxer is not a protected class in any way shape or form
No, they're absolutely not. But some lawmakers are trying to treat them as if they are.

Note that I didn't say 'successfully.' I can't see it standing up in court (for the reasons you stated), but it could definitely clog things up while everything's being settled.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:58 am
Lorini wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:44 am And anti-vaxxer is not a protected class in any way shape or form
No, they're absolutely not. But some lawmakers are trying to treat them as if they are.

Note that I didn't say 'successfully.' I can't see it standing up in court (for the reasons you stated), but it could definitely clog things up while everything's being settled.
I don't see it in court per se but businesses, especially corporate deep pocket businesses are not going to go along with it.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

My wife and I got our second Pfizer shots yesterday. We’re both sick as dogs today. At least I knew what I was in for this time around. She, on the other hand, is SHOCKED that she’s having this reaction. So much for her oft espoused theory that she’s just a lot tougher than me!!! 😀

(She absolutely is a lot tougher than me, but even she’s not invulnerable.)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get my 2nd Pfizer on the 11th. How long after the shot did you start feeling bad? I ask because I get my shot that morning and I have a days worth of town stuff to do afterwards. Will I have time to get stuff done before it hits me? Its my normal food shopping day the shot falls on.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:46 pm I get my 2nd Pfizer on the 11th. How long after the shot did you start feeling bad? I ask because I get my shot that morning and I have a days worth of town stuff to do afterwards. Will I have time to get stuff done before it hits me? Its my normal food shopping day the shot falls on.
I didn't really feel bad at all after my second shot, except for the sore arm. From what I've heard, though, if you do feel poorly it normally comes on multiple hours afterwards. If you are doing your errands right after the shot you should be fine.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:46 pm I get my 2nd Pfizer on the 11th. How long after the shot did you start feeling bad? I ask because I get my shot that morning and I have a days worth of town stuff to do afterwards. Will I have time to get stuff done before it hits me? Its my normal food shopping day the shot falls on.
You should be able to get all your errands run before any side effects (other than arm soreness which seems to be the quickest) set in.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:31 pm
I didn't really feel bad at all after my second shot, except for the sore arm. From what I've heard, though, if you do feel poorly it normally comes on multiple hours afterwards. If you are doing your errands right after the shot you should be fine.
For me it hit about 12 hours later. It also was the acutely worst I've felt in years and it lasted a couple of days. Glad to have the shot but there was a period where I was like...fuck you if you think I'm getting a booster.

I'm over that now. Especially after I recently heard a story about an acquaintance's brother - early 40s and was in good healh - who was waiting for his spot and just died of COVID.
Last edited by malchior on Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife gets Pfizer II next Friday and I get mine on Saturday. If we do both get sick, I hope the 24-hour difference means we won't both be down at the same time.

She had a stronger reaction to Pfizer I than I did.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Other than a weird first night the first shot just made my arm sore. Hoping the 2nd isn't any worse or much worse. Im alone here and my little dog depends on me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I had a pretty acute reaction to both the first and second shots, but, for me, there was a definite delay both times, also about 12 hours for me (my wife, too).

Got ours at noon yesterday, felt great during the day, but was feeling poorly by midnight when I tried to go to sleep. Then the increasing body aches and headache made it difficult to get any rest, and I woke up today feeling like I got steamrolled.

Still, as annoying as it is, it’s not something you can’t gut through if you have to.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm Got my second shot (Moderna) last night. So far so good. No real reaction symptoms that I can point to, but my body doesn't feel "right" or "normal". Of course that could all be in my head. Both my brothers and sister in law had fatigue, aches and fever for about a day starting about 24 hours after receiving their shots, so we'll see how it goes. But all is ok for now.
Well, I did end up with a stronger reaction. About 24 hours after the shot, I started getting aches and chills, around 8-9pm or so. Went to bed and slept until 1:30 pm the next day, and after that was fine, though a little tired. It wasn't bad, neither the chills or aches were really bad in my case, more annoying than anything else, and I had no problem sleeping it off.

So all has been well for the last 20 hours or so.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Wound up with no major reaction. Definite soreness in the injected arm, some mild general soreness in general. Felt somewhat gross when I went to bed that night, but woke up totally fine.

Kind of disappointed - I was hoping to have to stay in bed all day yesterday. :(
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I realize it's his entire shtick and that I shouldn't let it get to me, but I have to admit that I hate this raging asshole more than most.

Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"
To think that a single kid could legitimately be harmed by this (mainly due to CPS agencies diverting actual resources to screening this bullshit) is infuriating. Mainly because you know with 100% certainty that his army of mouth-breathing MAGA moron followers will actually do it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They hide behind the “reasonable person” legal facade. He has 4M+ viewers. If 4k follow his instructions, it’s still his defense. Only 1 in a thousand did it, so those must not be reasonable people.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tucker Carlson should be held accountable for selling propaganda. He’s sold his soul for influence.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon