Evergreen GOP Obstruction Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Evergreen GOP Obstruction Thread

Post by malchior »

The 2021 Session is off to a cracking start with Graham obstructing the hearing for Merrick Garland - of all people. Graham is pointing at the impeachment trial which he has already called unconstitutional and 'missing paperwork' as problems. Essentially it amounts to whatever BS excuse was at hand at the moment.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) rejected a Democratic request on Monday to schedule a confirmation hearing next week for Merrick Garland, President Biden's pick to be attorney general.

Though Democrats have the Senate majority, Graham is still the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman because the chamber hasn't yet passed an organizing resolution for the 117th Congress.

That means the Senate panels are still operating under last year's setup — in which Republicans had the majority.

Graham's letter comes after Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), the incoming committee chairman, urged him to schedule a hearing for Feb. 8, arguing that there was "simply no justification" for not scheduling it and hinting that behind-the-scenes talks were at an impasse.

But Graham, in his own letter, said Garland should have a two-day hearing and pointed to the upcoming impeachment trial, scheduled to start next week, as a roadblock.

"The Senate is about to conduct its first ever impeachment trial of a former president, and only its fourth trial of a president, incumbent or not. Under the procedure the Senate has adopted, Donald Trump’s trial is set to start on February 9. But you want us to rush through Judge Garland’s hearing on February 8. An impeachment is no small thing. It requires the Senate’s complete focus," Graham wrote.

He added that Democrats "do not get to score political points" through the impeachment trial while "also trying to claim the mantle of good government." Graham also noted that the committee is missing paperwork from Garland.
Smoove_B

Re: Evergreen GOP Obstruction Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't understand how we're not at the stage where people in Congress are literally clubbing each other yet. I don't understand how you're supposed to work with people that pivot on a dime like this and instantly feel it's their job to stop anything from progressing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I thought that they had made a deal on a new organizing resolution? That still hasn't been passed yet? When is it supposed to be passed?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:13 pm I thought that they had made a deal on a new organizing resolution? That still hasn't been passed yet? When is it supposed to be passed?
It is still being 'finalized' whatever the heck that means.
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:09 pm I don't understand how we're not at the stage where people in Congress are literally clubbing each other yet. I don't understand how you're supposed to work with people that pivot on a dime like this and instantly feel it's their job to stop anything from progressing.
It's also built on a pile of manure. Paperwork? The guy is the presiding judge on the DC Court Circuit of Appeals and was nominated to be a Supreme Court justice. What skeleton is waiting to jump out of the closet? It's a thin veneer over pugnacious tantrums at this point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:13 pm When is it supposed to be passed?
Right about now:
A deal has been reached in the Senate in principle on a power-sharing agreement that had precluded Democrats from taking control of the committees, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced Wednesday morning.

"I am happy to report this morning that the leadership of both parties have finalized the organizing resolution for the Senate," Schumer said on the Senate floor. "We will pass the resolution through the Senate today, which means that committees can promptly set up and get to work with Democrats holding the gavels."
Need to see more details:
t was unclear as of Wednesday morning what was holding up the deal. Party leaders had been haggling over a final few points, including how to structure committee budgets, before finalizing the power-sharing agreement that will officially allow Democrats to take their chairmanships, Senate officials familiar with the talks told CNN earlier this week.

The delay was already having an impact on Biden's Cabinet nominees going through the Senate confirmation process. Sen. Lindsey Graham, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, rejected a Democratic request on Monday to schedule Garland's confirmation hearing on February 8, arguing that the Senate needs to focus on the impeachment trial of former president Donald Trump, which is set to start the following day.
I refuse to believe the GOP will be working with anyone in any capacity.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Does this mean that Durbin can go ahead after today and schedule Garland's hearing for the day that he wanted?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:40 pm Does this mean that Durbin can go ahead after today and schedule Garland's hearing for the day that he wanted?
I guess we'll see. Speaking of obstruction:
In a strict party-line vote, all 50 Senate Democrats voted to advance a budget resolution to speed the aid package through Congress without Republican support. Forty-nine Republicans voted against the resolution. Republican Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania was absent because of snow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just preparing the ground here - Graham voted for the calling of witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial. He had previously threatened to call a bunch of irrelevant witnesses if the House Managers brought in witnesses to obstruct the process. It is impeachment but it'll also probably be shameless obstruction.

Edit: Here is how this will go. There will be an organizing motion passed with a list of witnesses but it is amendable. So they'll vote on a list of witnesses. The prediction is Graham, Cruz, Hawley, etc. will just keep adding amendments for irrelevant witnesses to obstruct the process.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote:The prediction is Graham, Cruz, Hawley, etc. will just keep adding amendments
You’re talking about Trumpsters in a GOP thread.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:02 pm
malchior wrote:The prediction is Graham, Cruz, Hawley, etc. will just keep adding amendments
You’re talking about Trumpsters in a GOP thread.
Is there really a difference anymore? :(
malchior

Post by malchior »

And just to cap off this. Obstructionism wins again.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Indeed. Unless a bill has the full three "readings" instead of just adding it to the Senate Business Calendar as most bills are, the American people are powerless to find out what is in it. A line-by-line reading by a beleaguered Senate worker will surely inform the public fully!

Edit: I forgot the best part. This isn't meant to delay...then he went on to threaten tons of amendments meant to drag out the process. Saying the quiet part out loud in true GOP moron fashion.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Here is MTG again delaying the business of the House before voting on the Senate's version of COVID relief bill.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The fight for diseases and to punish poor people never sleeps.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One of his qualifications is that he's actually been the U.S. Surgeon General before, and yet...

Murthy is a Harvard/Yale trained physician whose experience includes already having been U.S. surgeon general.

During that time he advocated for mental health and did an awareness campaign with Elmo. Then he wrote a book about combatting loneliness.

But, 57/43.
I'm amazed there were 7 (R) senators that voted yes. I can only assume their states will start the censure process immediately. Remember when the GOP stalled his appointment by Obama because he came out against guns? Maybe this is related; no idea.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:21 amI'm amazed there were 7 (R) senators that voted yes. I can only assume their states will start the censure process immediately. Remember when the GOP stalled his appointment by Obama because he came out against guns? Maybe this is related; no idea.
Especially since he has in the past committed the grave sin of connecting gun violence to public health.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm curious which Biden nominee has received the most yes votes to date.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:26 am I'm curious which Biden nominee has received the most yes votes to date.
I think it was Austin - 93-2.

Edit: Vilsack was 2nd - 92-7. Yellen was 84-15.

Edit 2: Found a good summary. Some cabinet-level positions got more votes - US Trade Rep was 98-0 and Chairperson of the Council of Economic Advisers was 95-4.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm trying to find out the "why" around this clip. However, since it is Tom Cotton I'll assume it is something something bad faith.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

DeSantis took lessons from McConnell and is sitting on his hands about scheduling a special election for Alcee Hasting's seat (He died on April 6th.) Florida law leaves it up to the Governor and the Governor has seemingly thumbed his nose at democracy.

There is even an implication in the following piece that perhaps the Republicans will bust up his district during redistricting. That actually seems accurate. I still expect the GOP will swing at least 3 seats to GOP members this year via gerrymandering just in Florida.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They're still trying to obstruct, in case anyone was wondering.
The Senate on Tuesday voted to confirm Kristen Clarke as the new head of the Justice Department's civil rights division in a tight 51-48 vote, with Sen. Susan Collins (Maine) the only Republican to cross party lines and vote for her.

Clarke will be the first Black woman to lead the influential wing of the Justice Department and will serve as assistant attorney general for civil rights.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Her first job should be to start serious investigations into ALL GOP members of the house and senate...money, travel, property..you name it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

How Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema can continually go on about bipartisanship in the face of near-complete opposition from Republicans is beyond me.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 pm

How Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema can continually go on about bipartisanship in the face of near-complete opposition from Republicans is beyond me.
How Breyer can apparently refuse to retire now is beyond me.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Agreed but I'm still waiting for the media to stop pretending this is a functioning system of governance. Words like that are essentially fuel for "civil war" or whatever form the breakdown of this system will take.

Edit: Let's also not pretend that Breyer resigns and Biden is able to sit anyone that Manchin doesn't approve of. They may very well be essentially a Republican.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'm not sure how anyone thinks this is how government is supposed to function or what the Founding Fathers intended.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:18 pm Agreed but I'm still waiting for the media to stop pretending this is a functioning system of governance.
I would advise you to reconsider.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:13 pmYeah I'm not sure how anyone thinks this is how government is supposed to function or what the Founding Fathers intended.
Anyone who has spent any time studying government will recognize that the current American situation is actually extremely common in democratic-leaning government structures. As far back as ancient Greece (and probably considerably before that...we just don't have any surviving sources) scholars have noted that while democracy should, in theory, produce a government more responsive to the needs of its citizens, in practice, democracy is often hopelessly mired in political infighting, rendering it unable to respond to anything that isn't an immediate, overwhelming priority. (And sometimes, even then. Just look at Israel!) These problems can be mitigated, though not eliminated, by carefully screening your electorate - the smaller and more homogenous your voters are, the more quickly they will come to consensus. But even France, which is something like 20% the size of the US and considerably less diverse, has gone through 5 Republics since 1804. Democracy is hard, and famously unstable. The US is actually doing amazingly well at things, given the enormous obstacles we face.

I know I keep beating the drum, but seriously....none of this stuff is new.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Thank goodness it isn't new. My anxiety level just went down to 2.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As you may have surmised, I haven't spent any time studying government. Though that doesn't make me feel any better. :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

It true that some things we are seeing are not new. The most relevant being that the recent historical pattern sees modern democracies backslide and die at the ballot box instead of via military coups in advanced economies. That is what it looks like will happen here even though we had some people agitating for military action (including Trump). The American take on democratic backsliding is probably a little different though in that our mix of individualism + penchant for fantasy thinking has accelerated our decline faster than even the experts expected.
“Turns out, things are much worse than we expected,” Daniel Ziblatt, one of the “How Democracies Die” authors, told me this week. He said he had never envisioned a scenario like the one that has played itself out among Republicans on Capitol Hill during the past few months. How could he have? It’s hard to imagine anyone in America, even when “How Democracies Die” was published, a year into Trump’s term, seriously contemplating an American President who would unleash an insurrection in order to steal an election that he clearly lost—and then still commanding the support of his party after doing so.

Three years ago, it was still conceivable, if not likely, that Trump and Trumpism could be expunged by an overwhelming result at the ballot box or a clear-cut impeachment and expulsion from public life. But Ziblatt and Steven Levitsky, his co-author, never thought that would happen. Instead, they highlighted a more realistic possibility: that Trump’s electoral defeat would not stop the continued polarization, flouting of political norms, and increased “institutional warfare” in America—leaving the country a battered “democracy without solid guardrails” that would be “hovering constantly on the brink of crisis.” The crisis, however, turned out to be even more existential than they had predicted; the present is “much more worrisome,” Ziblatt told me. In contemporary Germany, he pointed out, an incitement to violence of the kind deployed by Trump and some of his backers might be enough to get a political party banned. But, in America’s two-party system, you can’t just ban one of the two parties, even if it takes a terrifying detour into anti-democratic extremism.

This is the worrisome essence of the matter. In one alarming survey released this week, nearly thirty per cent of Republicans endorsed the idea that the country is so far “off track” that “American patriots may have to resort to violence” against their political opponents. You don’t need two Harvard professors to tell you that sort of reasoning is just what could lead to the death of a democracy. The implications? Consider the blunt words of Judge Amy Berman Jackson, in a ruling on a case involving one of the January 6th rioters at the Capitol, issued even as it became clear that Republican senators would move to block the January 6th commission from investigating what had caused the riot:

The steady drumbeat that inspired defendant to take up arms has not faded away; six months later, the canard that the election was stolen is being repeated daily on major news outlets and from the corridors of power in state and federal government, not to mention in the near daily fulminations of the former President.

It’s worth noting that Jackson released this ruling this week, the same week that Trump issued statements calling the 2020 vote “the most corrupt Election in the history of our Country,” touting himself as “the true President,” and warning that American elections are “rigged, corrupt, and stolen.”
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:15 pmAs you may have surmised, I haven't spent any time studying government.
And there is no shame whatsoever in that. There are only so many hours in a day.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is Deathwatch material but nails the problem.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What's amazing to me is that Senate Majority Leader McConnell was nowhere to be found by the news media, and when they did find him, they never pressed him with questions.

Senate Minority Leader McConnelll is seemingly meeting with news media at least weekly (sometimes more), and he can't stop talking to them about what he's doing or what his thoughts are on the Biden administration. And still, the news media can't seem to really question his actions.

I didn't really think of it in terms of Zimmer's tweet, but that sounds about right.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:18 am This is Deathwatch material but nails the problem.

Huh. At least the news I listen to was absolutely pounding on the leading "just how unusual is this?!" questions during the last half or so of the Trump admin. So much so that it was really starting to piss me off (and I posted about it here at least once). It pissed me off because it leads to NOWHERE.
Journalist: "So the Trump administration did X today, Mr. expert. Just how unusual IS that?"
Mr. Expert: Oh, it's quite unusual, Señor Journalist. Quite. I would even go so far as to say VERY unusual.
Journalist: OK, thanks. And moving to world politics...

Noticing and calling out that a behavior or action is unusual is meaningless and powerless as far as I'm concerned. OK, so some experts agree X behavior is unusual. And?? Let's all just sit and wonder at how unusual it is. :grund: :grund:

And to be fair, I don't have an answer for "OK, now what?!" but the journalism that did seem to take the above approach seemed to treat it as the end all, the goal of the interview, and once confirmation of that leading question happened, their job was done somehow, mission accomplished.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:24 pmHuh. At least the news I listen to was absolutely pounding on the leading "just how unusual is this?!" questions during the last half or so of the Trump admin. So much so that it was really starting to piss me off (and I posted about it here at least once). It pissed me off because it leads to NOWHERE.
Journalist: "So the Trump administration did X today, Mr. expert. Just how unusual IS that?"
Mr. Expert: Oh, it's quite unusual, Señor Journalist. Quite. I would even go so far as to say VERY unusual.
Journalist: OK, thanks. And moving to world politics...
Right I see this more out in the cable news space and less in the traditional network or print 'news space'. And even then it is more on the "opinion" side of the house. In the network/print sphere, we see the tweet have meaning. And that is where the all important 'middle' generally gets their information if they seek it at all.
Noticing and calling out that a behavior or action is unusual is meaningless and powerless as far as I'm concerned. OK, so some experts agree X behavior is unusual. And?? Let's all just sit and wonder at how unusual it is. :grund: :grund:

And to be fair, I don't have an answer for "OK, now what?!" but the journalism that did seem to take the above approach seemed to treat it as the end all, the goal of the interview, and once confirmation of that leading question happened, their job was done somehow, mission accomplished.
That's the problem in a nutshell. It is by definition what they should be doing. They don't have legislative power. They are supposed to help *us* put pressure on our elected officials. Instead we now see that public opinion and majoritarian policy desires have less space in our politics. They are trying to suppress transparency and get away with appalling abuse of power. And they are getting away with it. It is part of is why we see such a steep decline.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It is obstruction when the schedule is set and not changed?
The schedules set up by Congress last December—with the pandemic still raging and the Senate majority undecided pending the special election in Georgia—are proving unworkable just six months later. Something's gotta give, and that something is the ridiculous amount of recess they've currently got scheduled over the next three months.

As the calendar now stands, the House is scheduled to be in session for just nine days from July 2 through September 19. Nine. The Senate is now scheduled to leave Thursday for a 10-day July 4 recess, and then to be out starting August 6 until September 13. That leaves them about 16 days for legislative work between the end of this week and a whole lot of critical deadlines tied to the end of the fiscal year on September 30.
So it's pretty obvious (to me) everything the GOP has done in Congress from 1/20/21 was done to get to this point - where they're now going to be MIA until the end of Q3 2021. And when they do come back, everything will be about budgets and money, not the insurrection and voting rights.

I know I shouldn't be surprised as they delayed and disappeared last year rather than approve relief money going out, but really. At some point it's pretty obvious where it's all headed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is why I was banging on the drum about committees and legislative momentum a couple of months ago. This is a normal pattern since August is fund raising month. It is going to be all mid-terms all the time soon and the Democrats have nearly jack shit to show for it. Funny enough I don't think we can pin much of this on the Republicans. They only filibustered *twice* in the Senate and Pelosi could have updated the schedule in the House. In fact she still can. Meanwhile the Democrats negotiated against themselves and essentially frittered away all the time mostly on their own.

In the end, that piece only elevates my sense that we are going to just see more and more absolute absurdity. All enabled by the filibuster.