Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:50 pm CNN
Federal prosecutors say Sean McHugh of Auburn, California, fought with police as they fended off the massive mob of Trump supporters outside the Capitol on January 6. During the scuffle, McHugh was recorded by police body-worn cameras heckling the officers with a megaphone.

According to prosecutors' description of the footage, McHugh allegedly shouted, "You guys like protecting pedophiles?" "you're protecting communists," "I'd be shaking in your little s--t boots too," and, "there is a Second Amendment behind us, what are you going to do then?"
McHugh was convicted in 2010 on a state charge of unlawful sex with a minor, according to California court records reviewed by CNN and lawyers involved in McHugh's cases. McHugh was sentenced to 240 days in jail -- though he served less -- and got four years of probation.

There was DNA evidence that connected McHugh to the girl, former prosecutor Todd Kuhnen told CNN. The victim was 14 years old and McHugh was 23 when the crime occurred, Kuhnen said. The victim also alleged that she was intoxicated when the incident occurred.
At the time of the riot, McHugh was on probation for misdemeanor convictions for driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license, according to federal court documents.

McHugh has a long rap sheet of misdemeanor convictions, including multiple DUIs and trespassing offenses, according to Negin and a CNN review of California state court records. He is one of many rioters with criminal records, and he is one of a few rioters who were on probation or parole for other unrelated crimes when they went to the Capitol on January 6.
It's always projection with these guys.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

sure does seem that way.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:12 am Heck they can't figure out a way to serve a lawsuit from one Congressman to another Congressman.

Months to serve a lawsuit to a man in the same building? He never leaves his office? He never has dinner out in public? He is never in his home Congressional office?
GOP Rep. Mo Brooks finally served court papers in Jan. 6 lawsuit after dodging private investigator.
Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala., admitted Sunday that he was finally served court papers in a lawsuit brought by fellow Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Cali., over his alleged role in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol building.

Brooks had spent at least a week dodging a private investigator hired by Swalwell to deliver the documents, which would officially begin proceedings in the case. While on the run, he taunted Swalwell incessantly on Twitter over the California Democrat's apparent inability to locate him.

In another tweet Sunday, Brooks admitted that someone had finally tracked down his wife at the Congressman's family home and given her official notice of the lawsuit — but in the process claimed that the individual had trespassed on his property, while seemingly threatening to bring another lawsuit against the person.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Didn't realize budding fascists were so slippery! Damn.

He IS known for his tricksy disguises, though:

Enlarge Image
malchior

Post by malchior »

I recommend clicking through to the letter to get a view inside one of these folk's very scary and very delusional headspace.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this thread dead now? Because it would seem like Gohmert's comments should really be...investigated.

This is a whopper of an allegation (without any supporting records) from Rep Louie Gohmert (R-TX) … saying Capitol police told *him* they expected Trump opponents disguised in MAGA gear to appear on Jan 6 at Capitol
It would seem it's Gohmert's week in the barrel. What a complete tool this man is.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, that is some seriously "lying" body language.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:40 pm Is this thread dead now? Because it would seem like Gohmert's comments should really be...investigated.
Yup. We have a date (evening of Jan 5), so we know which Capitol officers were on duty, and we have the claim that they were briefed that day on this crazy idea.

Seems like the investigation would take about twenty minutes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, things are still happening, which is good to see:
Six members of the militia group known as the Three Percenters have been charged with the siege of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6th, in an indictment filled with chilling fantasies of executions and chatter about weapons and “insurrection.”

Two of the men charged—Alan Hostetter and Russell Taylor—were reportedly seen with Donald Trump’s friend and advisor Roger Stone the day before the riot. Their accused conspirators are Eric Scott Warner, 45; Felipe Antonio “Tony” Martinez, 47; Derek Kinnison, 39; and Ronald Mele, 51. Hostetter is a former police chief in California, a yoga instructor, and a “Stop the Steal” organizer. Stone, a self-described dirty trickster who has been tied to multiple accused rioters, has not been charged with wrongdoing.
So weird how Roger Stone was associated with all this. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just a coincidence for sure. If only we had a way of looking into it. Well on that topic the dilly-dallying continues without any urgency whatsoever. However, to be a little fair the calculations are a little complex as this deep dive shows. My only question is why not figure this out beforehand? Did they just make Plan A (the bill)? I mean the Republicans are always cooperative, right.
One widely discussed option, a select committee, is a specially created panel of members of Congress aimed at addressing particular measures or issues – fit for the purpose of investigating an attack on the heart of the federal government in Washington, D.C. Such committees are characterized by their relative brevity; once the issue at hand has been dealt with, the committee is no longer renewed. It is easy to see why this type of approach would appeal to supporters of an investigation. A select committee could be created by a simple majority vote, and the singular function of the committee lends it a focus and gravitas, as opposed to attaching the investigation as an ancillary onto existing standing committees that are already overburdened with other tasks. Jim Townsend, director of the Levin Center at Wayne Law School, notes that while a select committee or standing committee would have the same authority to subpoena witnesses, take depositions, and hold hearings, a select committee would “eleva[te] the importance of the January 6th insurrection and concentrat[e] resources to its investigation.” By providing members with a “singular mission which prioritizes fulfilling that mission over other competing committee interests,” a select committee can avoid the distractions a busy standing committee might have and underscore the seriousness of a congressional response to the Jan. 6 attack.

Austin Evers, executive director of American Oversight, highlighted several virtues of a select committee, including its ability to avoid the distractions of other bodies and the opportunity to “streamline traditional obstacles to congressional oversight.” Because a select committee would be founded with the express intent to investigate, Evers notes that it could be empowered from the start with the resources and abilities necessary for proper scrutiny, such as being able to hire outside counsel and staff or litigate subpoenas. He also points to the ability of Speaker Pelosi to appoint members to the committee as a way to preserve the integrity of the investigation: “The January 6 investigation will face bad faith attacks regardless of the form it takes. The best thing the Speaker can do is to stock a select committee with members of both parties who will rise above the fray even as they pursue the truth aggressively.” Donald Wolfensberger, Congressional Scholar at the Wilson Center, adds that it takes “time to authorize, appoint and organize any such new entity.” Townsend, however, sees this as a potential benefit, as staffing a new committee would provide an “opportunity to have a unified staff that serves all members regardless of party” and allow the committee to recruit “legal and investigative talent that may be available for only a limited amount of time.”

Wolfensberger, however, is skeptical that Democrats will get what they want from a select committee, even as he agrees that one drawing on members from multiple committees of jurisdiction is the obvious next step in pursuing an investigation. He sees Republican recalcitrance as something that will force Democrats into pursuing what will be viewed as a “much more partisan undertaking.” Given the public’s weariness with partisan squabbling, this may provide those in the GOP with significant fodder to argue that Democrats intended to politicize the investigation for the 2022 elections.

Select committees also have a potentially fatal flaw – participating members of Congress must be newly selected. Townsend sees this as a critical issue for the panel — a select committee would be a preferable alternative to the current status-quo approach only if its co-chairs are “members of strong character, resilien[t] to political posturing, and have a commitment to the facts and bipartisanship.” But Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who strongly opposed investigating the attack through an independent commission, would be able to appoint members to a select committee, and Wolfensberger expects McCarthy to stack the deck “with the most fiercely partisan, hand-to-hand combatants.” Evers believes that this problem could be mitigated by the committee chair’s subpoena power and the careful appointment of members by Speaker Pelosi.

Because it appears likely that a select committee cannot avoid the partisan bickering engulfing Washington, some see little value in expending the time, resources, and political capital necessary to form one. Several standing committees – permanent committees established by the House – are already engaged in their own fact-finding, soliciting information from intelligence agencies and conducting hearings on the attack. While he recognizes the logistical appeal of centralizing the inquiry into one body, Michael Stern, former Senior Counsel to the House of Representatives, believes that absent “a group of Republicans who are prepared to participate on the committee and share a more or less common objective with the chair/majority,” a select committee makes little sense when multiple standing committees are already investigating the attack. What’s more, standing committees already have the infrastructure and relationships in place to negotiate the particularities that arise in an investigation.

Stern leans toward a “multi-committee option with some sort of coordinating mechanism to provide guidance and assistance to the different investigating staffs,” such as the Government Accountability Office. He referred to the use of multiple committees in the Ukraine investigation as an effort that “worked tolerably well.” Andy Wright, a founding editor of Just Security, also distinguishes an “every committee for itself” approach from one more coordinated: “There is value in coordination and a unified voice, or failing that, consolidated voices.” An investigation that relied on a number of cooperating standing committees, as well as a select committee, would “have a broader mandate than a single committee or a bunch of committees acting independently.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if the the creation of a "select committee" has the pageantry of what was shot down a few weeks ago. Was that part of the plan - knowing the (R) would need to extend themselves in some way to officially stop the investigation from happening? It's possible, but until the political ads start coming out using it as a cudgel, I can only wonder.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am I don't know if the the creation of a "select committee" has the pageantry of what was shot down a few weeks ago. Was that part of the plan - knowing the (R) would need to extend themselves in some way to officially stop the investigation from happening? It's possible, but until the political ads start coming out using it as a cudgel, I can only wonder.
There will be no ads. The Democrats somehow didn't think talking about Impeachment was useful during the election. The Republicans make up problems and beat their opponents over the head with them relentlessly for years. They dirty up opponents in advance. When the Democrats have actual ammunition they sort of longingly look at it like it might be useful. :roll:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 am Well, things are still happening, which is good to see:
Six members of the militia group known as the Three Percenters have been charged with the siege of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6th, in an indictment filled with chilling fantasies of executions and chatter about weapons and “insurrection.”
Wow. ANTIFA managed to infiltrate the Three Percenters???
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's a good disguise. Now that they are exposed, soon the GOP led by DJT will have to go after the Three Percenters for advancing ANTIFA/BLM violent Anarchist Marxist terrorism attempting to defund the police and fix the election.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am I don't know if the the creation of a "select committee" has the pageantry of what was shot down a few weeks ago. Was that part of the plan - knowing the (R) would need to extend themselves in some way to officially stop the investigation from happening? It's possible, but until the political ads start coming out using it as a cudgel, I can only wonder.
Neither the pageantry/coverage, nor the teeth, most importantly.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Surprise?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm beginning to think there's a real problem in Congress

Former Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, who Kevin McCarthy once quipped was paid by Russia, in the crowd on Jan 6.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Profiles in courage
A DC Metropolitan Police officer who defended the US Capitol on January 6 blasted GOP Rep. Andrew Clyde on Wednesday evening for what he called "disgusting" behavior during a tense exchange.

Michael Fanone, who was stun-gunned several times and beaten with a flagpole during the riot, told CNN's Don Lemon on "Don Lemon Tonight" that he had come across Clyde in the Capitol and had been dismissed by the congressman after approaching him outside an elevator Wednesday afternoon.

Fanone's account comes after 21 House Republicans, including Clyde, voted against legislation to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the officers who had defended the Capitol. The vote stood as the latest reminder that members of Congress still cannot agree on the facts of the deadly January 6 riot, and prompted the officer's visit to Capitol Hill.

"I was very cordial. I extended my hand to shake his hand. He just stared at me. I asked if he was going to shake my hand, and he told me that he didn't who know I was. So I introduced myself. I said that I was Officer Michael Fanone. That I was a DC Metropolitan Police officer who fought on January 6 to defend the Capitol and, as a result, I suffered a traumatic brain injury as well as a heart attack after having been tased numerous times at the base of my skull, as well as being severely beaten," Fanone said. "At that point, the congressman turned away from me."

Once the elevator doors opened, Fanone said, the congressman "ran as quickly as he could, like a coward."

Clyde's office did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment. The congressman also previously ignored questions from CNN asking to explain his vote against the Congressional Gold Medal bill.

Clyde, a Georgia Republican, has repeatedly sought to downplay the Capitol riot and sugarcoat the actions of former President Donald Trump and his supporters. During a House hearing last month, Clyde said that while there was an "undisciplined mob" and "some who committed acts of vandalism," many were behaving orderly, comparing them to a "normal tourist visit."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you wanted to see a video of a retired NYC police officer attacking a capitol police officer with a flagpole:
The Justice Department on Thursday released horrifying new police body camera footage from the January 6 assault on the US Capitol, after CNN and other outlets requested the tapes.

The footage was used in the case against Thomas Webster, a former Marine and retired police officer from the New York City Police Department accused of participating in the Capitol attack.

Prosecutors say that the 56-second tape shows Webster, wearing a red coat among a large crowd of pro-Trump rioters, screaming profanities at officers, threateningly wielding a flagpole, and finally rushing at the officers, who engaged in hand-to-hand combat with him and other members of the mob. One of the officers eventually wrestles away the flagpole, but Webster then tackles the cop to the ground.
Why are we just seeing this now?
More than a dozen news outlets, led by CNN, spent months seeking access to videos used in court against Capitol riot defendants. These videos include police body camera footage, surveillance tapes from the Capitol complex, and more. The Justice Department used these clips in dozens of court cases but didn't publicly release them, as court proceedings have been conducted virtually during the pandemic. Media outlets have struggled to even view these clips.

A federal judge recently decided to force media outlets to seek access to Capitol riot evidence, including video clips, on a case-by-case basis. Other judges are reviewing whether to release videos in additional Capitol riot cases where clips have been used in court against defendants.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Antifa was deep.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Antifa?

Oh, you mean the group that organized January 6th?
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 am Antifa?

That's the one. This guy went through the Marines and the police for his cover.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 am Antifa?

That's the one. This guy went through the Marines and the police for his cover.
90% of Qanon is deep-cover Antifa. In fact, most fascists are actually anti-fascists working the long game.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The only solution is to investigate to see how deep the conspiracy goes. I bet they even infiltrated Trump’s confidants.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump is actually Antifa. That bible he held up? It was actually a fake cover on a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook!

side note: i find it weird that I always want to end any conspiratorial joke with the line "We traced the call...IT'S COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!". :?
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Long thread but a look into one type of the folks who were 'pied pipered' into this insurrection. In this case, a 'sovereign citizen' who won't discuss release conditions because the system has no power over her. Clearly true as she now sits in the slammer.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Speaking to a large crowd of supporters outside the White House on Jan. 6, President Donald Trump warned that he was about to bore them.

“I’m going to read you pages” of purported evidence of con in the 2020 election, Trump said. “I hope you don’t get bored listening to it. Promise? … Don’t get bored, don’t get angry at me because you’re going to get bored because it’s so much.”

It took a few minutes to get to that “evidence,” given that Trump wanted to riff on how bad the media was and how bad Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) was. But soon enough, he made his case.

For example, that “you had 205,000 more ballots than you had voters” in Pennsylvania — a claim that had already been debunked and was described by a state official as “obvious misinformation.” He made other untrue or debunked claims about Pennsylvania, claims that were also quickly dismantled. He made claims about Wisconsin that had been taken apart a month earlier. He claimed a broken pipe in Atlanta was something suspicious; if so, the suspicion should be about the quality of plumbing and not about vote-counting.

Despite Trump’s insistence that the evidence of fraud was overwhelming, it was not. In fact, it was all but nonexistent, and what evidence one might have pointed to was not credible. In the months since, other theories of fraud have emerged and faded, with no such claim — including myriad new assertions from Trump — withstanding any extended scrutiny.

One might assume, then, that the burst of speculation that the election had somehow been stolen might fade over time. That Americans predisposed to assume that President Biden had taken office only after a massive effort to steal the vote would consider the collapse of every effort to prove that point as evidence that perhaps that wasn’t what happened.

That isn’t what has happened.

On Monday, Monmouth University released polling showing about a third of Americans think Biden won only because of voter fraud — the same fraction of the electorate that held that view in Monmouth’s polling in March, in January and in November.

Despite the lack of credible evidence for the claim and the amount of time that has passed during which such evidence could have emerged, Americans are as likely to ascribe Biden’s victory to unfounded claims of fraud as they were seven months ago.

That’s driven by Republicans, as you might expect. Six in 10 Republicans think Biden won only because of fraud. That number is down from January, but Monmouth’s pollsters explain the apparent drop is largely a function of more respondents identifying themselves as Republican-leaning independents. Among Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, about two-thirds have consistently said they think Biden won only because of fraud.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I turned on TV today to see Pelosi has put together a Select Committee on Economic Disparity and Fairness in Growth. I mean that's important but we still don't have a 1/6 investigative approach. Maybe we will fall into authoritarianism, maybe we won't but the Democrats are essentially meekly looking down while the GOP runs their play. The Democrats are pathetic wimps.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some sorta good news but it looks like Pelosi finally has moved in the direction of a decision on a plan to move forward with a Select committee. It'll be a mess compared to the bill they passed but we absolutely need a public accounting. Hopefully they'll put someone with an actual clue like Schiff in charge of it.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:59 pm Some sorta good news but it looks like Pelosi finally has moved in the direction of a decision on a plan to move forward with a Select committee. It'll be a mess compared to the bill they passed but we absolutely need a public accounting. Hopefully they'll put someone with an actual clue like Schiff in charge of it.

"About damn time"? How about "too damn late.". GOP already won that one.

Pelosi doesn't care, she's got hers.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I suspect it’s more than that: she is at the age and in the certain wealth and power category where the strongest instinct is to protect what you’ve ‘earned’. (Strongly related to 'I've got mine', but maybe one step farther)

Probably 95% of her energy is likely maintaining the status quo (for her). Effecting or even trying to effect the real, substantive change we need (months/years ago - prob too late now) would mean risk to her position/wealth/power/status.

This is why I was pounding my fist earlier in the year that we need someone in leadership MUCH younger, with less to lose. Even firebrands age (not saying Pelosi ever was, I don’t know), and tend to mellow over time, into comfortable acceptance of things they might have previously railed against.

Well, maybe not Bernie, but he seems to be an exception.

Reminds me of a boss 2 or 3 levels above me that I once had. He was the intl sales director for a 15K employee publicly traded company. Probably made $250-$350K a year. Had a huge, beautiful flat in downtown London that overlooked the city. No wife or kids. Maybe 55 at the time? 60?
Anyway, he had asked me if he could tag along on one of my sales trips to Brazil, and I think we were walking in a relatively nice section of the Rio business district, when he confessed he was nervous. IIRC he kind of freaked out and said he didn't want to keep walking down a certain street. Note that this was probably mid morning, not like we were wandering around at dusk or night in suits in a bad area. Also note that I had been going to Brazil on a very regular basis (every few months), to multiple cities, for at least 10 years at that time. I knew the risks, the areas to avoid, etc. And he knew this.

So we hopped in a cab (2 blocks from our meeting) and he kind of apologized and spilled his guts about now that he has so much, he is almost always paranoid about losing it somehow, fears for his life (and weirdly, to me, the implication that "if I die, ALL MY STUFF WILL BE GONE!") His candor surprised the hell out of me since we didn't really know each other that well, but also disgusted me a bit, and my opinion of him dropped slightly.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think that is generally right and Pelosi is highly regarded for her ability to manage the caucus, That seems to not regard her effectiveness achieving actual political success for the caucus. It is a big cultural difference between Republicans and Democrats.

She didn't need to sanction Benghazi style theater hearings but almost nothing? You have the sense this leadership team is always overmatched by the GOP and are hopelessly behind the ball. Take the 1/6 commission bill as an example. You can imagine some beleaguered aide asked, "What happens when the Republicans say no?" And they were met with derision, incredulity, or handwaving. That vote was weeks ago and Pelosi still is foot-dragging on a decision and is pushing for bipartisanship to bring the bill back. Come on. After some thought, I'll be entirely unsurprised if the messaging above was a test balloon. Seeing that no real fuss is being raised she'll calculate no one cares and move on.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:26 am I suspect it’s more than that: she is at the age and in the certain wealth and power category where the strongest instinct is to protect what you’ve ‘earned’. (Strongly related to 'I've got mine', but maybe one step farther)

Probably 95% of her energy is likely maintaining the status quo (for her). Effecting or even trying to effect the real, substantive change we need (months/years ago - prob too late now) would mean risk to her position/wealth/power/status.

Yeah, this is what I mean. She has her wealth and power, no need to upset the apple cart. She and her family are, and will continue to be, just fine.

Her role is to keep her half of the aisle in line and compliant.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

First sentencing hearing for 1/6. A woman from Indiana received the maximum sentence the government asked for in their plea deal (3 years Federal probation, 40 hrs. community service, and a small fine $500).

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:22 pm First sentencing hearing for 1/6. A woman from Indiana received the maximum sentence the government asked for in their plea deal (3 years Federal probation, 40 hrs. community service, and a small fine $500).
I love how Putin tried to draw a parallel between the trials against the 1/6 insurrectionists and Russia's treatment of Navalny. They should fine Navalny 500 bucks, put him on probation for 3 years and then assign him 40 hours of community service if they want anyone to buy into that bullshit defense. Instead, he'll end up dead.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

That 'grandmother' from Indiana who got sentenced to probation the other day? She made tearful statements about how it was wrong to participate in it. Now this. (To paraphrase) "It wasn't that bad. I didn't see people breaking windows. I just followed a 74-year old woman in. No big deal." Deplorable piece of shit.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did I hear right? Did Ingram describe her experience as traumatic? The consequences (including job loss) for insurrection in which multiple people died and we put a stain on the peaceful transition of power going back 150 year in an attempt to overturn an election, the consequences are concern for the trauma to the criminal. Isn't anger at concern for criminal welfare one of the hallmarks of contemporary Trumpism?
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trumper has to behave herself for 3 years or else. And we’re surprised she’s asking Fox to hold her beer on day 1?

She’s an idiot who isn’t going to make 3 months.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pelosi announced a Select Committee - 8 members chosen by Pelosi and 5 members chosen by McCarthy. No word on who will Chair it and there are hints that Pelosi will name a Republican as one of her 8 picks (Kinzinger is my guess) as a conciliatory measure.

Edit: Math fail - fixed.

That doesn't make 100% sense in retrospect as that'd leave it a potential 6-6 split and enable obstructionism. Maybe she is striking a deal with the promise of some sanity. That said, let's see if McCarthy drops a clown car into the committee. MTG? Gym Jordan? Gaetz? The sky is the limit to the amount of derpy noise they can inject.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:52 pm Pelosi announced a Select Committee - 8 members chosen by Pelosi and 5 members chosen by McCarthy. No word on who will Chair it and there are hints that Pelosi will name a Republican as one of her 8 picks (Kinzinger is my guess) as a conciliatory measure.

Edit: Math fail - fixed.

That doesn't make 100% sense in retrospect as that'd leave it a potential 6-6 split and enable obstructionism. Maybe she is striking a deal with the promise of some sanity. That said, let's see if McCarthy drops a clown car into the committee. MTG? Gym Jordan? Gaetz? The sky is the limit to the amount of derpy noise they can inject.
I'd say Gym Jordan is almost a certainty, as he is the top House attack dog. MTG or Gaetz would be unproductive distractions.

The other Republicans will be reliable Freedom Caucus extremists who carry no baggage because we never hear from them.