Enough is enough - we need better regulation.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Of children's bicycles.
A Brooklyn lawmaker is throwing down the gauntlet for anyone who rides around the city on two wheels — proposing that everyone including little kids carry a license and that all of their rides have registered plates.

State Sen. Simcha Felder (D-Brooklyn) will introduce a total of four new bills later this week to require all city cyclists, bikers and e-scooter rides wear a helmet, take a safety pre-licensing course and slap plates on their vehicles.

“The other day I was driving to work and I almost killed a cyclist who came out of nowhere and cut me off. I was so shaken by the experience that I said, enough is enough,” Felder said via a spokesperson.

“The streets of NYC have become the wild, wild west. The de Blasio administration has allowed a growing number of completely unregulated bicycles, e-bikes, electric scooters and dirt bikes/ATV’s on our city streets.”
Huh. I assume this is just a crazy legislator with an axe to grind?
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Isgrimnur

Re: Enough is enough - we need better regulation.

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ain't no problem unless it's my problem.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Crazy isn't limited to someone with an R after their name.
Hodor.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm Crazy isn't limited to someone with an R after their name.
Yeah, but those guys are crazy-r.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:14 pm Of children's bicycles.
Presenting this as merely "regulating children's bicycles" really mischaracterizes it.
“The streets of NYC have become the wild, wild west. The de Blasio administration has allowed a growing number of completely unregulated bicycles, e-bikes, electric scooters and dirt bikes/ATV’s on our city streets.”
Dirt bike, ATV, and other small-vehicle stunt-driving is a big part of street culture in cities these days, and the vehicles are often unregulated. There are multiple groups of dirt-bike/ATVers around Philadelphia who make a game of weaving in and out of traffic. It's kind of a problem when pedestrians are involved, and I assume NYC has it too.
Huh. I assume this is just a crazy legislator with an axe to grind?
He may have been prompted by the news this weekend of a beloved NYC stage actress being in critical condition after been struck by a scooter.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Am I to assume that there are no laws on the books to substantially address these issues?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:09 pm Am I to assume that there are no laws on the books to substantially address these issues?
It's a problem in DC. And it's illegal for people to drive dirt bikes and ATVs and the like on city sidewalks and streets. But, the police are explicitly told not to chase after them.
Hodor.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have been pulled over twice for reckless driving, while on my bicycle.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:09 pm Am I to assume that there are no laws on the books to substantially address these issues?
The point of proposing legislation here might just be to light a fire under the mayor and the NYPD to encourage new efforts at discouraging reckless street behavior by non-cars.

My point is that dismissing it as "crazy" ignores an actual problem.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:18 pmMy point is that dismissing it as "crazy" ignores an actual problem.
Uh, you can have an actual problem and a crazy response.

It sounds like the NE has a problem with adults doing bad things on the sidewalk. That doesn't mean the answer is making sure every six year old needs to register their bicycle.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

First bike registration, then bike confiscation!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:41 pm First bike registration, then bike confiscation!
It is perhaps indicative of just how wide the cultural divide in our country can be.

NY - Kid on a tricycle with no license? That's a ticket.
Texas - Over 21? Just go ahead and carry that loaded gun whenever you like.

Too bad centrism is falling out of style. :(
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Witnessed a cyclist get hit by a car this weekend. Bike was going eastbound in a westbound lane, very fast. Eastbound car turning left didn't see him and turned into him as he crossed the intersection. Loud crunch as his pedal (I think?) made contact with bumper. He got up and kept riding but the driver stopped and got out. Eventually the cyclist came back. They checked to be sure everyone was OK (they appeared to be, except for a cut on the cyclists leg) and went their separate ways.

What was funny is I was walking the kids to the park and saw the bike zoom past us and I said to them, "wrong side of the road, he's going to get hit!" Not one second later, crunch.

But good luck regulating. If you thought traffic stops were problematic, wait for random bike license stops.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 pmBut good luck regulating. If you thought traffic stops were problematic, wait for random bike license stops.
Unless I misread proner's link, that's exactly what happened in DC. Too many people got killed when police tried to enforce laws on ATVs, so now they don't do that.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Freyland wrote:
pr0ner wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm Crazy isn't limited to someone with an R after their name.
Yeah, but those guys are crazy-r.
I see what you did there.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:33 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 pmBut good luck regulating. If you thought traffic stops were problematic, wait for random bike license stops.
Unless I misread proner's link, that's exactly what happened in DC. Too many people got killed when police tried to enforce laws on ATVs, so now they don't do that.
What is the deal with ATVs in urban areas? This weekend one was hit by a car on Montrose Beach (I happened to be there a few hours prior supporting the daughter's friend's flag football team). Apparently a crowd attacked the driver and passengers of the car and 4 or 5 people ended up in the hospital. It's the first I'd heard of ATVs here, other than the ones the police drive around the lakefront. I assumed they were illegal on the roads.

Lots of motorcycle carcasses too.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:33 pm
You didn't misread. That's exactly why MPD doesn't get to do anything about it now.

People on bikes and ATVs occasionally wind up on the Beltway on weekends blocking traffic to do stunts. Nothing is done about that very often either.
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This reminds me of one time when I was a kid and a cop pulled my brother and I over while we were riding bikes and asked for our licenses. He was just joking with us but I was scared to death. I think he felt a bit bad about it afterward. :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bike licenses were a thing when I was a kid. You went to the fire station, paid a buck or two, and got a reflective metallic license sticker on your seat post. Cutting down on theft and helping with recovery was the motive.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:54 am Bike licenses were a thing when I was a kid. You went to the fire station, paid a buck or two, and got a reflective metallic license sticker on your seat post. Cutting down on theft and helping with recovery was the motive.
We had those, too (midwest thing?). They weren't mandatory, though.

I can see a concern about people stunting and being intentionally reckless to the point that it endangers others, but this broad licensing "solution" isn't a good answer. Teens/young adults who do this kind of thing aren't going to stop because they see the bicycle version of "Blood on the Pavement". Enforcement will be difficult, at best. It also adds a potential burden to low cost, easy access transportation for those who could most use it. (I say all of this without actually reading the proposed laws to see if my concerns are addressed, because that's how I roll.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!