Juneteenth

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

dbt1949

Juneteenth

Post by dbt1949 »

I think that's how you spell it. The feds just made it a national holiday. What for?
I think it has something to do with some Union troops at the end of the ACW who found some slaves and told them they were no longer slaves.
Is that about it? This is national holiday material?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Re: Juneteenth

Post by Alefroth »

Emancipation should definitely get a national holiday. Whichever day that those most closely affected by it choose doesn't matter to me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What you should know about this important day:
On June 19, 1865, Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger, who had fought for the Union, led a force of soldiers to Galveston, Texas, to deliver a very important message: the war was finally over, the Union had won, and it now had the manpower to enforce the end of slavery. The announcement came two months after the effective conclusion of the Civil War, and even longer since Abraham Lincoln had first signed the Emancipation Proclamation, but many enslaved black people in Texas still weren't free, even after that day.

"'If you want to commemorate something, you literally have to buy land to commemorate it on' is, I think, just a really potent example of the long-lasting reality of white supremacy," Walsh said.

Nevertheless, black Americans found a way to continue to celebrate and lift each other up. Early on, Juneteenth celebrations often involved helping newly freed black folks learn about their voting rights, according to the Texas State Historical Association. Rodeos and horseback riding were also common. Now, Juneteenth celebrations commonly involve cookouts, parades, church services, musical performances and other public events, Walsh explained.

It's a day to "commemorate the hardships endured by ancestors," Walsh said. He added, "It really exemplifies the survival instinct, the ways that we as a community really make something out of nothing. ... It's about empowerment and hopefulness."
It's pretty sad that as an American man closing in on 50, I had to learn about Juneteenth from the Internet and the Tulsa race massacre from a show on HBO. Maybe things will be better for the next generation.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Will there be mail delivery tomorrow?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm Will there be mail delivery tomorrow?
Can't stop the signal:
“The U.S. Postal Service is fully supportive of the new Juneteenth National Independence Day Act and making June 19 a federal holiday. Unfortunately, it is not possible to cease the operations of the Postal Service to accommodate an observance over the next 24-48 hours," the postal service said in a statement.

"We are part of the nation’s critical infrastructure and our customers are relying on us to deliver our essential services. Closing down our operations without providing appropriate time would lead to operational disruptions and be a disservice to our customers and those who rely upon us. For that reason, the Postal Service will be operating on June 18 and 19, 2021, on a normal schedule, serving our customers to the best of our ability."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's what I figured. I work at a credit union, and we aren't closing either. We had already planned to close Saturday before it became official.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My company made this a US company holiday last year, and did a ton of education along with it. Glad to see the nation following suit.

Now, how about a national voting holiday?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm It's pretty sad that as an American man closing in on 50, I had to learn about Juneteenth from the Internet and the Tulsa race massacre from a show on HBO. Maybe things will be better for the next generation.
I'm 64, and same experience.

Mass. made it a state holiday last July, so tomorrow is the first official observance. The Institute is closed and I have no work to do. In fact, the administration made a point of urging everyone to stay off our email and screens. Well OK then.

I had thought that we were ahead of the curve here until I read that 48 states had some form of official recognition. Feels overdue, even if it's new to me.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm
It's pretty sad that as an American man closing in on 50, I had to learn about Juneteenth from the Internet and the Tulsa race massacre from a show on HBO. Maybe things will be better for the next generation.
i continue to be dismayed at the lack of knowledge of Black American history in general in this country, especially amongst certain people i know (online and off) who _should_ know better. there are a lot of areas that i took for common knowledge that have turned out to not be.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yeah lets hang a LGBTQ and racially inclusive glove on the fascist fist. That'll do it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It has a terrible name.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's full name is Juneteenth National Emancipation Day.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 pm Emancipation should definitely get a national holiday. Whichever day that those most closely affected by it choose doesn't matter to me.
This. Right along side of memorial day, thanksgiving, and Independence Day. It's a day of observance.
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm It's pretty sad that as an American man closing in on 50, I had to learn about Juneteenth from the Internet and the Tulsa race massacre from a show on HBO. Maybe things will be better for the next generation.
Also this, though both on the Internet in his 40s.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm What you should know about this important day:
On June 19, 1865, Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger, who had fought for the Union, led a force of soldiers to Galveston, Texas, to deliver a very important message: the war was finally over, the Union had won, and it now had the manpower to enforce the end of slavery. The announcement came two months after the effective conclusion of the Civil War, and even longer since Abraham Lincoln had first signed the Emancipation Proclamation, but many enslaved black people in Texas still weren't free, even after that day.

"'If you want to commemorate something, you literally have to buy land to commemorate it on' is, I think, just a really potent example of the long-lasting reality of white supremacy," Walsh said.

Nevertheless, black Americans found a way to continue to celebrate and lift each other up. Early on, Juneteenth celebrations often involved helping newly freed black folks learn about their voting rights, according to the Texas State Historical Association. Rodeos and horseback riding were also common. Now, Juneteenth celebrations commonly involve cookouts, parades, church services, musical performances and other public events, Walsh explained.

It's a day to "commemorate the hardships endured by ancestors," Walsh said. He added, "It really exemplifies the survival instinct, the ways that we as a community really make something out of nothing. ... It's about empowerment and hopefulness."
Not in FL where they banned teaching it in schools. It's great they did this, but I also agree that Election Day should be a national holiday. Maybe swap it with Columbus Day. Dude was a creep who refused to ask for directions.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:It's pretty sad that as an American man closing in on 50, I had to learn about Juneteenth from the Internet and the Tulsa race massacre from a show on HBO. Maybe things will be better for the next generation.
I literally had never heard the term before last year, and learned it from this forum.
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 am
Smoove_B wrote:It's pretty sad that as an American man closing in on 50, I had to learn about Juneteenth from the Internet and the Tulsa race massacre from a show on HBO. Maybe things will be better for the next generation.
I literally had never heard the term before last year, and learned it from this forum.
I learned it from watching Black-ish.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Someone tell me why Washington's Birthday and Columbus Day were already federal holidays, and this was not.

Drazzil wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 pm Yeah lets hang a LGBTQ and racially inclusive glove on the fascist fist. That'll do it.
Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:34 pm I think that's how you spell it. The feds just made it a national holiday. What for?
I think it has something to do with some Union troops at the end of the ACW who found some slaves and told them they were no longer slaves.
Is that about it? This is national holiday material?
That’s the story behind ‘the day’, but the holiday is to honor/celebrate emancipation for all the slaves, for our history.

Honest question : do you Not feel that’s national holiday material?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't feel it's important enough. But then again I don't think half the federal holidays are important enough.
But then I'm not in charge so I accept them all.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am I don't feel it's important enough. But then again I don't think half the federal holidays are important enough.
Now I'm curious which ones make the cut.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am I don't feel it's important enough. But then again I don't think half the federal holidays are important enough.
There's always another holiday that could be added to the list of Federal holidays. It's all about timing.

Personally I'd rather see Juneteenth take on cultural significance organically than get a Federal holiday that gets largely ignored.

For the last 5 years I've marked it with a co-worker who brought the tradition to the office. She left last the company week, actually, and I'm really feeling her absence today.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think it has taken on significance organically (see all the people in this thread who have learned about it in the last few years), and making it a federal holiday is a step in furtherance of that.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm 100% on board. It's overdue.

Now, if we can just convince someone to turn Columbus Day into Indigenous Peoples' Day...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 am It has a terrible name.
June 19th acquired the name Juneteenth as folk terminology long before anyone "officialized" it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 am
Me too.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:42 am I think it has taken on significance organically (see all the people in this thread who have learned about it in the last few years), and making it a federal holiday is a step in furtherance of that.
To be clear, I have no problem with the federal holiday, I just think it is half-assed and right now is fodder for the CRT nonsense.

Having overwhelming support first and then declaring the holiday tends to be more sticky. Heck, MLK day still isn't what I would consider a full on holiday after ~30 years. No mail, federal offices, and some banks are closed. That's it. To me that highlights a problem rather than celebrates progress. I mean fuck, some states celebrate King-Lee day, honoring MLK and Robert E Lee. Can't wait to see that they come up with for Junteenth.

Juneteenth as a national holiday is great but for too many people it's a triumph or a purging of guilt. It's not, it's barely a start.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 am It has a terrible name.
June 19th acquired the name Juneteenth as folk terminology long before anyone "officialized" it.
And if the people that the holiday is about want to call it something, that's what we call it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I'd like to find a good documentary (or failing that, a YouTube video) on the history of the holiday to have the family watch tomorrow. I need to look into that.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The twins had a few videos last year they received from school, but they were aimed at kindergartners, so I'm guessing that probably wouldn't help you. ;)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently. I learned about it probably 30+ years ago while I lived in Texas. Since then I've heard about it off and on as a bit of historical trivia / on this day in history type of thing. Is the specific event itself worthy of a big national holiday? Shrug, probably not but neither is the actual events that we have turned into Thanksgiving.

My biggest feeling is that it feels like a better Federal holiday than MLK day. Something about a Federal holiday celebrating one person bugs me. I'm a fan of President's Day over Washington's Birthday also.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Personally the only holidays that make the cut for me are. Independence Day, Memorial Day and New Years. We don't need holidays for people's birthdays. Labor Day? Please. religious holidays in a country where we try to separate religion and government? Not Columbus day or even veterans day.
I would go for a an Emancipation holiday if it were for maybe Lincoln's Emancipation of the slaves or perhaps the 13th amendment. Indigenous People's day instead of Columbus day would not be out of the question. I'm not sure about Thanksgiving. What are we celebrating? Religion?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

In l33t speak, wouldnt juneteenth be the 16?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently.
It's hip and trendy to be a woke white person these days, so there's that......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently. I learned about it probably 30+ years ago while I lived in Texas.
I never remember it being mentioned even a single time when I attended public school in Utah and Colorado. First time I ever heard of it was in college, and even then it was only briefly mentioned in passing during a history class.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently. I learned about it probably 30+ years ago while I lived in Texas. Since then I've heard about it off and on as a bit of historical trivia / on this day in history type of thing. Is the specific event itself worthy of a big national holiday? Shrug, probably not but neither is the actual events that we have turned into Thanksgiving.

My biggest feeling is that it feels like a better Federal holiday than MLK day. Something about a Federal holiday celebrating one person bugs me. I'm a fan of President's Day over Washington's Birthday also.
My understanding is that Juneteenth had always been more widely celebrated in the South, and in particular in Texas. I remember hearing about it years ago because there were news reports of parties in Atlanta, but those reports seemed to focus more on "OMG! Black people are gathering and partying!" than on the reason for the celebrations. I only became aware of the actual reason for it a few years ago, I think.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had never heard the term until the last couple of weeks.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I grew up in a lot of places, but while I was around large Asian and Hispanic communities, I never lived anywhere with a large Black community. I'd never heard the term until last year myself.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am
Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently.
Mostly as a result of it becoming hip and trendy to be openly racist. White people were largely (self-) deluded into thinking that a thing we didn't see didn't exist anymore, so we didn't pay much attention. Certain segments of the population have shown us how wrong we were. So you can throw around 'woke' like a slur, but it really is just another word for 'educated.'
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

good interview about juneteenth the application of it as a holiday, critical race theory (the actual context) and its positions and misuse, and how all of this plays out across politics. 31:35.
The particular thing I learned was that CRT is a legal theory are of study. I new it was just a Academia area of study i didnt realize it had to do with torts. Mmmm tortes.

Also Maddow her opener might get you misty eyed and convey anecdote of what this holiday is about.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:41 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am
Mostly as a result of it becoming hip and trendy to be openly racist. White people were largely (self-) deluded into thinking that a thing we didn't see didn't exist anymore, so we didn't pay much attention. Certain segments of the population have shown us how wrong we were. So you can throw around 'woke' like a slur, but it really is just another word for 'educated.'
I couldn't think of a reply so I'll just say this one is perfect.

Complaining about a holiday that celebrates the liberation of an enslaved race (an historical fact, no matter what Fox News and Trumpers tell you) is far more damning for you.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.