What is cancel culture?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: What is cancel culture?

Post by Defiant »

It goes back even further - look at the comic book scare in the 50s that led to the Comics Code Authority, or risque movies and movie star scandals that led to the Hays code for movies in the 30s.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:06 am I guess I'm not really looking at it as a right-wing boogeyman or in any political context, but as a by-product of social media. To me, cancel "culture" is the ability for social media to make people judge, jury, and executioner for any perceived slight. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's not.
Just jury.

Which, of course, is -huge- and in many contexts forces the hand of the judge and executioner.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am It is most definitely not the province of the left. The first time I remember it being a thing was with D&D as a child and then it was PMRC and the Fox network (ironically) as a teen ager.
I think that's where confusion arises (including for me, because it gets blurry). The ignorant or disingenuous sometimes equate e.g. #metoo with censorship and content banning. There may be parallels and connections, but it's not a blanket. The mob is not always bad... its power just needs to be respected, and its motives examined. So-called cancel culture is great at holding powerful individuals, corporations, and governments accountable. But it can, as others have mentioned, just as easily single out people and causes that are less clear-cut. Not everyone who piles on is informed.

In an ideal society the will and concerns of the populace would usually coincide with that of the justice system and those in power.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am
It is most definitely not the province of the left. The first time I remember it being a thing was with D&D as a child
To be fair, you and I did end up as Satan worshiping occultists. Which reminds me, will I be seeing you at the Samhain Summer Soiree next week?
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am
It is most definitely not the province of the left. The first time I remember it being a thing was with D&D as a child
To be fair, you and I did end up as Satan worshiping occultists. Which reminds me, will I be seeing you at the Samhain Summer Soiree next week?
You know, I dig me so Danzig and I love me some Misfits but Samhain never appealed to me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Party wit’ the witches, bitches!

The campus communists also threw the best parties.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've seen examples of both good and bad. I think it can be incredibly rewarding to see someone taken to account for some wrongdoing and learn from it.

On the other hand, on the negative side of things, I think when it's abused to target individuals who' ve done nothing wrong, the mob mentality can be incredibly petty. This I've noticed tends to closely align with SJW's who scream the loudest and believe they're doing a good thing but end up going much too far. A recent example I've heard about concerns LeVar Burton's hardcore fans (Ironically enough) who desperately want him to get the job, and are trying to sink Ken Jennings in the process by digging up any dirt they can find on Twitter. I like LeVar Burton, and I do think he'd make a great Jeopardy host, but admittedly upon hearing this, I began to feel uncomfortable. I'd like him to get the job based on his own merits and performance as guest host, not because fans have tried to manipulate the outcomes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:21 pm I've seen examples of both good and bad. I think it can be incredibly rewarding to see someone taken to account for some wrongdoing and learn from it.

On the other hand, on the negative side of things, I think when it's abused to target individuals who' ve done nothing wrong, the mob mentality can be incredibly petty. This I've noticed tends to closely align with SJW's who scream the loudest and believe they're doing a good thing but end up going much too far. A recent example I've heard about concerns LeVar Burton's hardcore fans (Ironically enough) who desperately want him to get the job, and are trying to sink Ken Jennings in the process by digging up any dirt they can find on Twitter. I like LeVar Burton, and I do think he'd make a great Jeopardy host, but admittedly upon hearing this, I began to feel uncomfortable. I'd like him to get the job based on his own merits and performance as guest host, not because fans have tried to manipulate the outcomes.
I fear the days of getting ahead or a job based on merit alone are long gone.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"It's not what you know, it's who you know" has been around for a long time though.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Show business has always been about demographics not merit.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Looks like this could be an example of bad cancel culture:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:21 pm I've seen examples of both good and bad. I think it can be incredibly rewarding to see someone taken to account for some wrongdoing and learn from it.

Yeah. The first (modern) thing it is, is an internet mob behavior.

The mob can be correct or incorrect in its raw reaction.

The second (modern) thing it is, is a weaponized and encouraged tool to manipulate mob behavior.

The third (modern) thing it is, is the new outrage machine version of "political correctness" whining by the RW, usually as unreliable narrators (see Bari Weiss andothers, who basically misstate their previous behavior and specific behavior to play the whiny victim all because they were and are being dicks and don't want to be held accountable for it. Note that those whining the most about it loved seeing Colin Kaepernick get blackballed by the NFL, wanted to rename French Fries during the 2nd Iraq war, etc.

The long term human thing it is, is just plain mob enforcement of social values. Think Hester Prynne's Scarlet Letter. Think Socrates being forced to drink hemlock.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Get this asshole out of here.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Please don't engage.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

WhitePride wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:28 pm Afraid of an intellectual discussion?
You would be a pioneer.

You sure your comfortable using the word intellectual?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:24 pm Please don't engage.
^
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: OO got a white supremacist. This has to be a joke by another member. If so, kudos on capturing the stupidity.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:38 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: OO got a white supremacist. This has to be a joke by another member. If so, kudos on capturing the stupidity.
Yeah, my money's on an alt. We haven't drawn a genuine troll in years. I'm kinda flattered if we have a real one.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enlarge Image
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

WhitePride has been banned. Carry on.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

If it was an experiment in cancel culture, it demonstrated that cancellation can be well-deserved.

A troll with foresight would have played that card explicitly while they had the chance, though. Weak play. No points.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Now I have to report Holman for calling Pyperkub an asshole! :whistle:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Man, I really missed the opportunity to say "WhitePride has been canceled." My apologies to the forum.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:52 am Now I have to report Holman for calling Pyperkub an asshole! :whistle:
:lol:
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:20 pm The long term human thing it is, is just plain mob enforcement of social values. Think Hester Prynne's Scarlet Letter.
This is something that bothers me. I reflexively dislike the idea of mob enforcement of social values even when it is social values that I applaud.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:32 am
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:20 pm The long term human thing it is, is just plain mob enforcement of social values. Think Hester Prynne's Scarlet Letter.
This is something that bothers me. I reflexively dislike the idea of mob enforcement of social values even when it is social values that I applaud.
Mobs always suck. I believe 'a mob' has lost the ability to check themselves.
However, we need to be careful when we use the word, because just a group of like-minded people doesn't automatically make them a mob.

I think this is just how it works, like it or not.... 'The mob' is the group of people who have social values being challenged. It's circular. Of course they want to have the values they have, or else they wouldn't be considered 'values' and be worth defending/supporting. If there are enough people with those same values, we consider it a culture, or perhaps to the point of being a law. When a country has split/opposing values, it's going to tear itself up.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:52 am Now I have to report Holman for calling Pyperkub an asshole! :whistle:
@Holman - WTF! ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:08 am
@Holman - WTF! ;)
Outta my way, I'm a one-man mob!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:32 am
Who or what should enforce them then?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 pm
I would rather have well respected organizations (eg, Southern Poverty Law Center, Anti-Defamation League, etc) investigating the claims thoroughly and calling out bad behavior than social media mobs rushing to a conclusion.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:01 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 pm
I would rather have well respected organizations (eg, Southern Poverty Law Center, Anti-Defamation League, etc) investigating the claims thoroughly and calling out bad behavior than social media mobs rushing to a conclusion.
The thing here is that in Internet time, with our current volatility and the prevalence of bad faith lies driving mob behavior, that's not necessarily effective. Gossip travels faster than the truth.

I do think that a reporting algorithmic approach that manages to account for bad faith actors somehow is the only thing that will work.

How to do it? Ultimately some of it will need to come down to the accounts posting and those reporting items need to be evaluated for their bad-faith-iness, and their reports, etc. downvoted somehow and given less credence.

Of course, quis quistodiet ipso custodes.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Gossip has always tarred and feathered the potentially innocent. It used to be at the church or social club or office. Now it’s randos on the internet. It’s not worse, it’s different.

Celebrity is a fickle bitch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's worse. In the old days you could go a few towns over and start fresh. That's no longer possible.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:45 pm Gossip has always tarred and feathered the potentially innocent. It used to be at the church or social club or office. Now it’s randos on the internet. It’s not worse, it’s different.

Celebrity is a fickle bitch.
I dunno about that. Employers do Internet searches now and memes have surprisingly long memories. A(n im)properly tarnished reputation could follow you for a lifetime. A poloroid could have been scandalous and made you get up an move somewhere else. Someone posting "a sex tape" could get you a TV deal and make you billions in name recognition... Wait... That's not how it's supposed to work...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

A good example of how complicated 'cancel culture' can be-

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/22543 ... helicopter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Conservatives: It's not cancel culture when we do it!

Short version: Was supposed to be an event on the "Forget the Alamo" book. Texas AG cancelled the event because the book dared to make the claim (one which seems to be factually accurate) that the Alamo was primarily about ensuring that slavery was preserved in Texas. Conservatives simply won't abide that so, as they are doing with any and all historical events that make white people look less than awesome, they simply cancelled any opportunity to discuss it.

As a member of the Preservation Board, I told staff to cancel this event as soon as I found out about it. Like efforts to move the Cenotaph, which I also stopped, this fact-free rewriting of TX history has no place
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:58 pm It's worse. In the old days you could go a few towns over and start fresh. That's no longer possible.
Or move from one parish to another.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:58 pm It's worse. In the old days you could go a few towns over and start fresh. That's no longer possible.
Or move from one parish to another.
Which is why bigamy was actually such a thing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zachary Petrizzo
@ZTPetrizzo
A growing number of accounts on Jason Miller's new right-wing "Gettr" site posting "Sonic the Hedgehog furry porn" are being banned from the platform -- and now there is a push among leftist users to argue that "furry porn is protected under the first amendment."
I don't do social media, but if I did I would be tempted to go on Gettr and start posting Onion style praises of Nazis to see how many idiots would bite.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:23 am I have a vague notion I suppose but it is rather confusing to me.
It's when left is against some thing right did but allows left for doing the same thing. It's also when right is against some thing left did but ok if it was done by a right.
Also if a left becomes a right or a right becomes a left, that will not equal a good or bad, but a super bad or super good.
Hope that clears it up.
Last edited by UsulofDoom on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.