Planning a new rig, opinions on components?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Planning a new rig, opinions on components?

Post by Daehawk »

Congrats!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 pmCongrats!
Thanks! I'm a nervous wreck of course, wondering if I forgot something or made an error, but I've checked the build list from Falcon and everything seems in order. Now it's fingers crossed time that everything turns out well, but at least if something is wrong or broken when it arrives they will ship it back one day air and fix it.

I made the decision to order today because of the Valhalla specs. I just wish I had known of this last week so the rig would be here for WD Legion, but that's how these things inevitably happen. I figure the rig is good for at least a half-dozen years and since I just turned 67 I'm wondering if this will be the last gaming rig I actually ever order. If so, at least I'm going out in style :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aw it should be good longer than that....the 6 years not the end of you :). Mine is all 2010 2011 build. Its just now to where I couldn't run stuff at all or at a fun rate. A few games having given me trouble the last couple years. Some I blame on bad dev work like The Division 2. Wit ha couple upgrades I could still be pretty ok but not been able to like the old days. I figure it will last until I get the home paid for in another 4 years. By then Ill either be dead, quit PC, or be ready for a new system. In the 90s I upgraded every year and rebuilt a full system about every 3. By the time Im able to do something new it will be 14 years for this one. Nuts. Tech really slowed.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What specs did you settle on?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

:D :D Naw, I'm waiting for the 16K monitors :D

Final configuration:
Chassis: Talon 20th Anniversary Edition
Chassis Logo Insert: RGB Light
Side Panels: Tinted Glass Side Panels
Fan Pack: Noiseblocker eLoop® White - High Performance
Power Supply: EVGA® SuperNOVA G3 1000 Watt
Motherboard: Asus® ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-10850K 10-Core - 3.6GHz to 5.2GHz
Overclock: No Overclock
Processor Cooler: Asetek® Liquid Cooling 680LS 280MM
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) - 3200MHz
Video Card: EVGA® GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB
Sound Card: On-Board
Networking: On-Board
Operating System Drive: Samsung® 970 EVO Plus 1TB - M.2 SSD - PCI Express
Data Drive: Western Digital® Blue™ SN550 1TB - M.2 SSD - PCI Express
64-Bit Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Monitor: Asus® ProArt PA278QV 27" - 2560x1440 - 75Hz
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
JCC

Post by JCC »

I still think you are investing too much in the CPU. I would make the argument that you are spending too much on the video card too if you are limiting yourself to 1440p. Regardless, I hope you love the PC and it arrives problem free.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JCC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm I still think you are investing too much in the CPU. I would make the argument that you are spending too much on the video card too if you are limiting yourself to 1440p. Regardless, I hope you love the PC and it arrives problem free.
The step up from i7 to i9 was on!y $34, so I figured what the heck. As far as the 3080, I figure I'm future proofing if I decide to step up to 4K.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the everlasting truism from these 'advice' threads is that people tend to make technology purchases based on emotion, and there is no logic one can state to change their minds :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:10 pm the everlasting truism from these 'advice' threads is that people tend to make technology purchases based on emotion, and there is no logic one can state to change their minds :)
I would guess this also applies to new cars and spouses :wink:. But I also saw this article on Tom's Hardware, Best Graphics Cards for Gaming in 2020. I just picked the one top of the list :horse:
naednek

Post by naednek »

JCC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm I still think you are investing too much in the CPU. I would make the argument that you are spending too much on the video card too if you are limiting yourself to 1440p. Regardless, I hope you love the PC and it arrives problem free.
Ya, The monitor doesn't match up with the card in terms of specs. I would have been either looking at a 4k monitor or lower the card.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am
Ya, The monitor doesn't match up with the card in terms of specs. I would have been either looking at a 4k monitor or lower the card.
But the card will match up with the monitor when I pick up a 4K one sometime in the future. Gotta plan ahead. Just didn't want to push my luck and spend the shekels for a very nice 4K one right now as well as the uber-rig. Christmas is coming in a couple of months after all.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And speaking of the availability of RTX 3080 video cards :wink: I initially received a 21 day build estimate which I politely questioned, since the configuration screen told me it was a 14 day build (their normal build time). I got a reply today saying that the extended build time estimate was due to supply vs. demand levels on the 3080 and 3090, but it does appear that they have sufficient quantities of the 3080 EVGA cards. So I'm back to a 14 day build time, shipping on October 29th. I'm fine if it slips a bit, my last one slipped a bit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found that I spent quite a bit more in peripherals as opposed to the PC itself. Little things like USB hub, better keyboard, speakers, monitor-stand, and stuff like that. But then, I'm kinda collector of things I have minor interest in. ;) One of these days I have to start a podcast of me playing all these games. I think I tried to narrate my latest Cold Waters video. I think it came out okay. :D

But yeah, that sounds like a nice rig.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So here's the latest update, for those one or two of you who still care :wink:

The estimated completion date of the 29th came and went with no updates. Finally this morning I sent an email asking for status. Amazing enough the reply was that my rig was scheduled to ship today :D . So a few days beyond their initial estimate, but I know one guy who a month ago was told that he could expect his RTX 3080 in January, so I'm happy I could get one this soon.

I got notification from UPS this evening that the packages have been picked up and I can expect them next Wednesday :dance:. Expect pictures then, unless something goes wrong :grund:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The new rig arrives tomorrow so I took the opportunity to set up a temp table and move over my old rig and monitor. Then I went to work under my desk... holy crap there were a lot of wires down there! I had some external drives hooked up plus some peripherals so I had extra USB hubs and power supplies. I even found cables that weren't hooked up to anything :?. I've removed the USB hubs and rerouted the remaining cables to make it more tidy. And I chased away the dust bunnies... for now :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope you called in sick ahead of time :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This is where I found a couple "plug savers" (mini extension cords) helps a lot in keeping the cable pile somewhat under control, as you can see things better. AND a lot of hook-n-loop cable ties.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 am Hope you called in sick ahead of time :)
I'm retired, so every day is my own... except when my wife says it isn't :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Im gonna ask like a hooker at a micro penis convention....Is it in!? Is it in!?? :) Did it arrive?
stessier

Post by stessier »

How could you use "Did it arrive" over "Did it come"? You should go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:06 pm How could you use "Did it arrive" over "Did it come"? You should go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And it arrived this afternoon, I'm just now coming up for air and to post some pics. The three boxes, computer, monitor and goodies :D

Oh yeah, the Falcon NW mask. There was also a T-shirt, sadly too small for me.

The Falcon Fuel coffee and mug. Sadly I don't drink coffee, but I'm sure someone does:

A nice velcro bag from EV3A (who made the video card) with about twenty connector cables, those not used in the build.

And a nice box (Falcon logo on top) with all the other parts and pieces not used in the build. Falcon NW always sends to the buyer all the parts, even ones not used in the build. The little red gadget at bottom left is the emergency recovery USB drive.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The desk with the new monitor and the obligatory Falcon NW mouse pad :D

Yes, the large Falcon box contains a slightly smaller Falcon box with lots of padding. Lots of it.

Wrapped like a mummy:

The Falcon logo on the front is actually an outlined Falcon NW logo backlit with and RBG panel.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The guts of it all. Glass side panels that swing out at a touch:

The 3080:

That Falcon logo is the cover over the water cooled processor. And of course it is an RBG light :D

Doesn't show up too well, but here is what the inside looks like in the dark:

The front logo light and the square light around the power button:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've installed and tried Watch Dogs Legions and Ghost Recon Breakpoint. For WDL I went from basically medium settings to ultra-everything :D and it definitely looks much nicer than on my old rig. I can't really tell too much about the ray tracing and the DLSS, I think it has to be darker and/or wetter in the game.

Breakpoint however looks awesome. Again I went from medium to ultra and the game world has so many details I didn't see before. And with the wind blowing grass, branches and leaves are swaying yet looking super sharp. Everything on the screen looks better, even the menus. I may have to replay the game again! :D

I'm installing AC Valhalla right now, but since in a few days we are leaving for our 41st anniversary (which I believe requires a present composed of niobium) for several more days, so I don't think I want to get too much into Valhalla before the break. And I have a lot of installing of programs, copying over folders and that sort of thing.

I can tell you why getting my new uber-rig now is such a good idea. I'm 67 and spending a hour last night crawling around under my desk fixing up wires and then another couple of hours today lugging a 40+ pound rig around and again crawling under the desk to wire things up had pretty much wiped me out. I couldn't imagine doing it again by the time I turn 70 :|
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lol.

Looks very clean. The lighting is cool. Not seeing a cd rom drive. I know many people do without them these days but I have so much old media plus I backup photos and such on DVD I have to have one. So many cases dont have the slot for one now.

Dont see a sound card. Do you just use onboard?

Anyways thats a spiffy speed demon ya got there. Glad you're happy with her. :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:30 am Not seeing a cd rom drive.

Dont see a sound card. Do you just use onboard?
No CD or DVD ROM drive, although I do have an external one if I need it. I haven't used the one on my old machine in a couple of years. And yes it is an onboard sound card, I don't really care all that much about fancy sound cards.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks great - I hope you get lots of good use out of it. :D

I've considered getting a Falcon for a while (like forever) but never pulled the trigger. Maybe some day...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm pretty happy with it so far. One thing I didn't notice last night, because I had a couple of floor fans on, was that this Falcon is a bit noisier than the last, but since the last was almost inaudible, that's not a lot.

And just because, my flamingo now has the Falcon Northwest mask:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That's a lot of cores!

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

How much room is in the case for additional SSDs?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:12 am How much room is in the case for additional SSDs?
Good question! I don't really know, but let me go to the Falcon NW page... ah, besides the operating drive and data drive, which are both M.2 SSDs, there are two SATA 2.5" bays and two SATA 3.5" bays.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I recognize those boxes! I have a bunch of them in my basement for all my past Falcons, as well as the current one.

I'm due for a new one (this one is from 2014), so I have been occasionally playing with the Falcon Configurator, but just haven't felt right spending that kind of cash right now. Soon...

Enjoy it!
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im jealous of you Falcon owners. I admit it. Ive wanted a Falcon since 1995. Back then it was the MACH V that was the bad boy. I build my own. If I ever get a new one Ill build it. I can never ever afford a Falcon. But to you guys that get them congrats. They are spiffy.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:10 pm Im jealous of you Falcon owners. I admit it. Ive wanted a Falcon since 1995. Back then it was the MACH V that was the bad boy. I build my own. If I ever get a new one Ill build it. I can never ever afford a Falcon. But to you guys that get them congrats. They are spiffy.
My first Falcon (in 2000 I think) was a Mach V. The others have been Talons.

I have friends who keep up with the latest HW trends, and know which parts will work well together and which won't. I no longer have the time or inclination to keep up with that stuff when it is knowledge I'll only use every 6 years or so (I don't buy new computers very often). I don't mind paying these guys who know all those answers, and to be honest the Falcon guys have put together every machine as if it were their own.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My first Falcon was a Mach V in 2003. I stripped the guts and now it is my side table :D. My second was a Talon in 2014. They don't even have the Mach V model anymore, but damn the 2020 Talon is huge. It also has glass side panels, which caused my wife to roll her eyes when she saw the unit powered up with all the RBG lights going through their color patterns. I told her that it would have cost extra to have solid metal side panels, so it was all about keeping costs down. That got another eye roll :D.

Hrdina, as you say, the boxes are familiar, but now the computer comes in a Falcon box within another Falcon box with padding all around. They emphasize that the boxes have to be kept so that if the computer has to be sent back it can be properly shipped. Do you still have your leatherette bags with the extra cables, disks and paperwork? I have the one for my 2014 rig but haven't been able to locate the one that came with my 2003 computer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I am noticing one minor annoyance. When I first wake the computer from sleep, I hear a quick clack-clack-clack sound which I imaging is one of the fans tapping against its housing. The sound grows fainter and then disappears within a minute and I never hear it again till I again wake the computer from sleep (or start it). Is this normal for folks? The rig has two 140mm and one 120mm fans.
malchior

Post by malchior »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:36 am I am noticing one minor annoyance. When I first wake the computer from sleep, I hear a quick clack-clack-clack sound which I imaging is one of the fans tapping against its housing. The sound grows fainter and then disappears within a minute and I never hear it again till I again wake the computer from sleep (or start it). Is this normal for folks? The rig has two 140mm and one 120mm fans.
Diagnosing it should be straightforward. You could just sleep/wake it with each fan unplugged until you find the culprit -- you'd probably need to give it a little time to cool down between runs but with 3 fans you should be able to figure it out in an hour. Another thought is it also could be trapped air in the liquid cooling loop.