Fan over CPU Heat sink

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dfs

Fan over CPU Heat sink

Post by dfs »

A few days ago my desktop started screaming in the middle of the night. Opened up the case and started taking it down and unplugging the fans to try and locate which one was causing the noise and...don't you know....It was the dang fan sitting over the heatsink over the cpu. It was purchased where the cpu, heat sink and fan were packaged in the same box. (go to new egg and search Item#: N82E16819117727
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I77700 Desktop Processor if you care)

I don't recall if the heatsink and fan were separate assemblies or if they just snapped into the motherboard as a single unit. I'm pretty sure it was that latter. I suspect that means in order to replace that one fan, I have to replace the heat sink as well. shoot.

Is there a better way?
hitbyambulance

Re: Fan over CPU Heat sink

Post by hitbyambulance »

dfs wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:31 pm A few days ago my desktop started screaming in the middle of the night. Opened up the case and started taking it down and unplugging the fans to try and locate which one was causing the noise and...don't you know....It was the dang fan sitting over the heatsink over the cpu. It was purchased where the cpu, heat sink and fan were packaged in the same box. (go to new egg and search Item#: N82E16819117727
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I77700 Desktop Processor if you care)

I don't recall if the heatsink and fan were separate assemblies or if they just snapped into the motherboard as a single unit. I'm pretty sure it was that latter. I suspect that means in order to replace that one fan, I have to replace the heat sink as well. shoot.

Is there a better way?
maybe the fan just needs relubrication? or a dis-and-reassembly?
dfs

Re: Fan over CPU Heat sink

Post by dfs »

Actually I just disconnected the fan and found...it's the fanless power supply making that whinning noise.
Yeah, shut that *hit down right now.

pain to order a new power supply, but easier to install than taking off and on the heat sink.