Download videos from YouTube

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gbasden

Download videos from YouTube

Post by gbasden »

I'd like to grab some moving backgrounds from YouTube for some video calls, and there are some posted there for that purpose. I can't find any way to download said videos, though, and the services that claim to do that mostly appear to be malware distributors. Can anyone recommend software for this purpose?

Thanks!
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Download videos from YouTube

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gbasden wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:17 pm I'd like to grab some moving backgrounds from YouTube for some video calls, and there are some posted there for that purpose. I can't find any way to download said videos, though, and the services that claim to do that mostly appear to be malware distributors. Can anyone recommend software for this purpose?

Thanks!
I'd suggest following the instructions provided in the video below to avoid the malware rubbish you mentioned:

EDIT: Evidently, the aforementioned Youtube instructions were apparently memory-holed. Anyway, here's a similar guide that walks you through using Chocolatey to easily install both youtube-dl and ffmpeg at the same time (just scroll down for the Windows installation instructions), then install ytdl-explorer and you're all set.

EDIT 2: The original video instructions can still be viewed using this Wayback Machine link instead.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Thanks!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Way too complicated. I use 4K Video Downloader on my home computer and y2mate.com on my work laptop (use in-browser and don't have to install anything).
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

I use JDownloader since it allows selection of video quality and separate downloading of audio tracks.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I also use 4K Video Downloader, works great.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gilraen wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:43 am Way too complicated. I use 4K Video Downloader on my home computer and y2mate.com on my work laptop (use in-browser and don't have to install anything).
That's your prerogative, but the shareware 4K Video Downloader does have costs, limitations, and ads (depending on which version you use), whereas the tools mentioned in the video are completely FOSS (Free & Open Source Software) without any limitations or ads at all. And realistically, they take less than two minutes to set up and install. Evidently YMMV, but using Chocolatey.org to automate set up of both FFmpeg and YouTube-dl significantly simplifies the process of installing them separately or manually. Then it's just a matter of using ytdl-explorer to integrate into Windows Explorer, and you're good to go and ready to download videos, audio tracks, or entire playlists directly to any folder you like from your right-click context menu.
Chraolic wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:49 am I use JDownloader since it allows selection of video quality and separate downloading of audio tracks.
FWIW, YouTube-dl does also allow you to do this.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Acevedo

Post by Acevedo »

I have been spamming