Ergo mouse

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

Ergo mouse

Post by Jaymon »

so I am getting cramps in my little finger, from curling it while gripping the mouse.

does anybody have an ergo mouse, and can you share me some stories about it? Specifically, where does your pinky land when you are gripping it? maybe one of them vertical ones?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hitbyambulance

Re: Ergo mouse

Post by hitbyambulance »

i use a big ol Kensington trackball. highly recommended
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:01 pm so I am getting cramps in my little finger, from curling it while gripping the mouse.

does anybody have an ergo mouse, and can you share me some stories about it? Specifically, where does your pinky land when you are gripping it? maybe one of them vertical ones?
These are the pointing devices of professionals:

Enlarge Image

Not as clumsy or random as a mouse; an elegant pointing device for a more civilized age.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When I was writing about gaming I was at a computer non-stop, sometimes 14+ hours per day. I developed really bad carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome. A switch to a split keyboard and a trackball did the trick in no time. There'd be a learning curve with the trackball, but it can be just as precise as a mouse for the average person. I remember coming out on top quite a few times in Unreal Tournament 2k4 using the trackball. I miss my old Trackball Explorer!

If you don't want to go that route, look into a vertical mouse.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is the one i use, with the wrist-rest.

https://www.kensington.com/p/products/e ... trackball/

i like the scroll ring. i map the other two buttons to 'middle-click' and 'browser backwards'
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I bought this mouse when I was having carpal tunnel issues a few years back. It worked pretty well for my wrist.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I bought this mouse as my work from home mouse and it is really comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076F ... UTF8&psc=1
Probably not great for gaming, but I do love the vertical mice and would have one for my gaming computer but the ones I ordered were about 1/4 inch too tall and will not fit on my keyboard pull out tray and I end of hitting my hand on the desk all the time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I ordered a mouse with a pinky rest. And I will start using a wrist rest. Well I like a rolled up blanket more than one of them gel things, but the principle is the same. Will see how it goes. if that doesn't help, will try one of the vertical mouse as suggested.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:51 pm And I will start using a wrist rest. Well I like a rolled up blanket more than one of them gel things, but the principle is the same. Will see how it goes. if that doesn't help, will try one of the vertical mouse as suggested.
Be careful. These can make it worse it not used right. It's more important to have the position and the height right (if you're holding your arm out to the side or too high/low it puts strain on you.) It's also important that if you need to make more than small adjustments you should be moving your arm, not just your wrist, and this is where the wrests can really get you if you use it to lock down your arm.

You said it was pain in your pinky. Where at? Does it ever feel numb or tingly? is the ring finger (or space between the pinky/ring fingers) or wrist ever affected? Things nowhere near the pinky can cause pinky pain - like cubital tunnel or ulnar tunnel syndromes, both of which can come from mouse use. If it sticks around after you get the new mouse, pay attention to any weird sensations. The next step may be sleeping with a brace for a while or talking to a doctor rather than another new mouse.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:38 pm
Jaymon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:51 pm And I will start using a wrist rest. Well I like a rolled up blanket more than one of them gel things, but the principle is the same. Will see how it goes. if that doesn't help, will try one of the vertical mouse as suggested.
Be careful. These can make it worse it not used right. It's more important to have the position and the height right (if you're holding your arm out to the side or too high/low it puts strain on you.) It's also important that if you need to make more than small adjustments you should be moving your arm, not just your wrist, and this is where the wrests can really get you if you use it to lock down your arm.

You said it was pain in your pinky. Where at? Does it ever feel numb or tingly? is the ring finger (or space between the pinky/ring fingers) or wrist ever affected? Things nowhere near the pinky can cause pinky pain - like cubital tunnel or ulnar tunnel syndromes, both of which can come from mouse use. If it sticks around after you get the new mouse, pay attention to any weird sensations. The next step may be sleeping with a brace for a while or talking to a doctor rather than another new mouse.
+1 to all that
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

im getting pinky pain, because its all cramped up from curling it to try and keep it on the mouse instead of letting it drag along the desktop.
This happened because my good mouse died a while back, and I bought a cheap replacement, which I think it too small. Having a pinky rest and a full sized mouse should prevent my from curling it up into a cramped position

ive been getting some tension in my wrist during long sessions at work, undoubtedly caused by poor posture and arm positioning.
I have a severe slouching habit.
So I need to raise my chair, sit up higher. the rolled up blanket goes under my forearm which promotes me moving my arm instead of just my wrist for mouse movements, because it props my arm off the table. I noticed I had my arm completely flat on the table, and was just moving my wrist about to move the mouse.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's kinda sad that other than Razer (in a very minor way with Naga) , and Mad Katz (the R.A.T. series), the "really customizable mouse" trend never caught on in the US.

James Donkey 007 Pro has enough parts to make 54 different configurations. You decide which version of attachment you want to attach. You can't move the buttons though.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-007A-00FB6

This used to be MUCH MUCH cheaper, like as low as $20-30 USD.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds