Good 10" tablet?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

Good 10" tablet?

Post by Zenn7 »

Wife's tablet died a while ago, it was an older one (don't remember how old, but 6+ year anyhow). It was 10" Samsung Tab 2.

She finally decided she needs to get it fixed, suggested we just get a new one at this point.

She found something on Amazon for Mieze brand tablet. I was thinking to get a Samsung (having never heard of Mieze and thinking off-brand tablets are likely not going to be as good).

From a sure quality perspective (Apple is not an option), should we stick with Samsung or any other decent tablets out there for maybe cheaper?

She uses it for playing games like most do on their phone, it's just bigger/easier to see. Good for when she goes out of town especially, but uses it alot in the living room too.
Alefroth

Re: Good 10" tablet?

Post by Alefroth »

It's hard to beat a Samsung Tab A7, but I'd consider an Asus Zenpad 10 too.
Last edited by Alefroth on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its even named after him?>? Neat.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you can live on the Amazon ecosystem, Fire 10. It's cheap, fast enough for media, great battery life, etc.

For pure Android, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus 2nd Gen, starts from $150, but you really want the $200 version.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
JCC

Post by JCC »

I don't use tablets anymore, but these days if I decided I wanted one I am pretty sure I wouldn't buy anthing but a vanilla iPad ($329) or a Fire 10 tablet ($149). If you don't want to use the Apple or Amazon ecosystems, then I guess Samsung is the best brand for Android tablets. Personally, I would probably opt for a (touch screen) Chromebook over an Android tablet. You can still run Android apps and even you couldn't they are still pretty damn functional and cool.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you go the Fire route, make sure that the games she plays are available. There's also a good chance her progress won't transfer.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Compared to Samsung tablets, Fire tablets are noticeably slow and weak. I have one now just because I don't need a tablet for much, and it was dirt cheap. But I had 2 Samsung ones in the past, and boy, does it make a difference to have good hardware (I used them for years until they became hopelessly obsolete).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sounds like Samsung is the way to go if we are staying android.

I'd considered the chromebook but suspect it'd be more of a pain (for me as my wife screws something up or tries to figure something out that she can't :p ).

Thank you all for the feedback! :)
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 pm It's hard to beat a Samsung Tab A7, but I'd consider an Asus Zenpad 10 too.
+1

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab a7. It's great for casual tablet-y stuff. Nothing fancy, but it works well for what it is. Nice for Netflix, etc too.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, Woot's having a Samsung tablet sale now, factory refurb (4/14/21)

https://www.woot.com/plus/a-selection-o ... _dly_price
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

I have the one that is $99 at that sale. Best tablet I've owned. Perfect size and not apple.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've actually just replaced an old 7" Samsung tablet with an A8. The hardware outlasted its support by Google to the point that it wouldn't be updated anymore and actually started losing some functionality. It was running a 2014 version of Android, and it surprised me how long it was still supported for, but it was definitely time for an upgrade.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just to tack onto this. Its time I start saving for a tablet. If I save a bit for 2 or 3 months I might be able to get a cheap one. From this thread and other things Ive decided I want a Samsung. Does anyone know a site online to get used ones safely? I mean open box or used refurb is great. Im guessing Tab A but not sure on that. Like I said it will still take months to get one when I do.

Mine has a crack in the back casing almost half way across from the charging port. Sometimes it wont charge. When I charge it or use it it gets HOT. And while using it it will sometimes just black screen and no sound as if it turned off then start back up. I dont trust it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you don't mind doing a little hacking, Amazon's Fire HD 10 can be easily hacked to add Google Play Services and third-party launcher, and disable Amazon's autoupdate, so it becomes essentially an Android tablet. And at well under $200 ($149 for current model, 125 for previous year model) it's quite affordable. NOTE: There's also a "10 plus" which has 4 GB of RAM instead of 2, IIRC, and wireless charging for $219.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats part of the problem. This one IS an Amazon Fire. So was the last one. They both have broken at the charging port. Plus they are SLOW. So slow I cant stand it . Everything takes time to do. Wait wait wait. Sometimes Ill tap a app and almost 2 min later is starts. Ive cleaned it as best i can. Even added a memory card. No more Amazon...if I can help it.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:Just to tack onto this. Its time I start saving for a tablet. If I save a bit for 2 or 3 months I might be able to get a cheap one. From this thread and other things Ive decided I want a Samsung. Does anyone know a site online to get used ones safely? I mean open box or used refurb is great. Im guessing Tab A but not sure on that. Like I said it will still take months to get one when I do.
Quick search at Best buy.com makes it look like you can probably get a decent deal on an 'open box' Galaxy Tab when you're ready. I'm on my second Samsung tablet now and they've both been great.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If you aren't in a hurry, watch Woot. They used to have Samsung tablet sales with some regularity. Though it feels like a while since the last one.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:00 am Thats part of the problem. This one IS an Amazon Fire. So was the last one. They both have broken at the charging port. Plus they are SLOW. So slow I cant stand it . Everything takes time to do. Wait wait wait. Sometimes Ill tap a app and almost 2 min later is starts. Ive cleaned it as best i can. Even added a memory card. No more Amazon...if I can help it.
fair enough. I use a magnetic tip cable so I never have that issue with the charge port. :) And I need a Gen 8 Fire HD 8... I thought I have one around, but it doesn't fit the docking case for some reason. :-\
Rumpy

Re: Good 10

Post by Rumpy »

disarm wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:20 am
Daehawk wrote:Just to tack onto this. Its time I start saving for a tablet. If I save a bit for 2 or 3 months I might be able to get a cheap one. From this thread and other things Ive decided I want a Samsung. Does anyone know a site online to get used ones safely? I mean open box or used refurb is great. Im guessing Tab A but not sure on that. Like I said it will still take months to get one when I do.
Quick search at Best buy.com makes it look like you can probably get a decent deal on an 'open box' Galaxy Tab when you're ready. I'm on my second Samsung tablet now and they've both been great.
There are far fewer options in the tablet market than there have been several years ago. I think I heard it said that the market is slowly drying up. That said, it means fewer options from Samsung. I recently bought a Tab A 7 (2019). I've had to replace my old one which was no longer being supported.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:24 am If you aren't in a hurry, watch Woot. They used to have Samsung tablet sales with some regularity. Though it feels like a while since the last one.
They have a bunch on sale today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant get anything unless I am able to save a bit . Stuff comes up and slows me down. Could be a couple months or a year. Never know. Ill look though so as to get an idea. Didn't Amazon buy out WOOT?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 pm I cant get anything unless I am able to save a bit . Stuff comes up and slows me down. Could be a couple months or a year. Never know. Ill look though so as to get an idea. Didn't Amazon buy out WOOT?
Yup. Years ago. Now they use it to clear out their warehouses. But that doesn't mean that you can't get good deals.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to love their Bag of Crap. I got one on my birthday once and was hooked. I managed to snag about 3 more before Amazon got them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks for bumping this. My Lenovo Flex laptop died and gravity-inspired death a couple of months ago ( :doh: :cry: ), and it was my main means of reading both comics and .pdf files, both of which are things I (used) to do regularly. I've been considering getting a cheap-ish tablet sometime in the next year or so that's big enough to serve that purpose.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)