Floor stands for heavy laptops?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Floor stands for heavy laptops?

Post by Blackhawk »

My regular laptop died a few months ago. It was a nice, light, portable machine that died an unfortunate cluttter-related death.

All I have now is an amazing laptop that was given to me. The only problem - it's a 17" and weighs about 7 pounds. It's a desktop substitute, not a portable laptop. I use it constantly for reading, watching shows, some gaming, and writing this message. But I also need it to serve the function my old one did: to provide me access to text, video, and reference images while I'm working (painting, or studying, or whatever else.) I don't want it on the desk due to all of the liquids, paints, and so forth that I use there. What I'd really like is a floor stand so that I can set it next to the desk instead. I'm just concerned about the laptop stands I'm seeing. Those that are ideal (don't have a big footprint on the floor) worry me that they'd be top heavy with a laptop that weighs more than double the average, while those that look sturdier take up a lot of floor space, which is a problem.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Re: Floor stands for heavy laptops?

Post by TheMix »

My suggestion would be a tv stand. Not the kind for holding a tv, but the kind that the shows always have the people using to eat their tv dinners while watching tv...

Something like this.

I had to do "tv tray stand" on the search.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Confirming you want a free-standing piece of furniture vs a laptop desk mount?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Have you considered a potable monitor? They can be had for $100-$150 pretty easily and take up a lot less space than a laptop stand (declutter!). You'd just need to add some longer cables.

I use one as my main screen for a NUC but have found enough uses around the house to plan on getting a second one.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:48 pm My suggestion would be a tv stand. Not the kind for holding a tv, but the kind that the shows always have the people using to eat their tv dinners while watching tv...

Something like this.
I have that exact TV tray. It is directly related to this statement:
My regular laptop died a few months ago. It was a nice, light, portable machine that died an unfortunate cluttter-related death.
Clutter surrounded me; to the left, to the right. I tried to stand, but was blocked. I tried to move back, but clutter stood there, too. I turned to seek another route, and cheek met TV tray. It fell, and with it went the last moments of my Lenovo touchscreen.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:00 pm Have you considered a potable monitor?
I'll just add a few drops of bleach to the one I have.

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:52 pm Confirming you want a free-standing piece of furniture vs a laptop desk mount?
I think I'm actually coming around toward something like that. I already have stands for my PC monitors, so I'm pretty familiar with them. Most of the laptop arms I've seen are rated for normal sized laptops, though. This one is huge, heavy, and a gift, and I don't want to take a chance on it doing a belly flop. I would, at the very least, get a high-end arm and find a way to secure the laptop to it (those I've seen with brackets for holding it down are for much thinner laptops.) At that point, it wouldn't be terribly convenient as a regular laptop anymore (this thing isn't going to be living in the bedroom.;

As to portable monitors, I'd have to also find a place to put the laptop itself, plus a keyboard anyway. That would involve, most likely, a monitor/keyboard arm.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri May 21, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At this point, I'm almost considering moving my 'reference' PC into the bedroom permanently. It's made of third-hand parts leftover from upgrades (I upgrade mine, my parts go to my son's PC, then his old parts go to the TV or reference PC.) I only really use it while gaming to bring up maps/guides/etc.

I'm thinking it would be simpler to just haul it into the bedroom permanently and set the laptop on my gaming desk if I'm playing a game that isn't alt-tab friendly. The reference PC is already on a monitor/keyboard dual arm. I'd just need to see if I can find the grommet hardware, as the edge clamp wouldn't work in there.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A bit late to the topic, but I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097GMHXG

Wheeled, adjustable height, solid stable.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds