THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Something goofy with the server clock?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Kratz

Something goofy with the server clock?

Post by Kratz »

Just noticed that everything is an hour slow today... I checked my profile and I'm on the correct timezone (GMT -7), so... is it just me? Anyone else seeing this as well in this timezone? Anyone in a different timezone?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I set up ntp to update from the tock.usnavy.mil yesterday. Maybe I have the zone set wrong. I will double check.

For the record it shows exactly the right time for me.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Does military time account for daylight savings? Are you in a location w/ no daylight savings?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

FWIW, it's doing just fine here (MDT which is set to GMT -6 in my profile).

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

The Meal wrote:FWIW, it's doing just fine here (MDT which is set to GMT -6 in my profile).

~Neal
Wait... are we supposed to be -6 though because of daylight savings time? Does the GMT not change for DS? I thought we were always -7.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DST is crap. I'm in the Central time zone and am usually GMT -6. I've had to reset a few boards to EST (GMT -5) after the DST change.

I don't think GMT has daylight savings.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I had to change this one to GMT -5 as well, FWIW.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kratz wrote:
The Meal wrote:FWIW, it's doing just fine here (MDT which is set to GMT -6 in my profile).

~Neal
Wait... are we supposed to be -6 though because of daylight savings time? Does the GMT not change for DS? I thought we were always -7.
GMT never changes. When we go to Daylight time, we have to change. Indeed, we're currently at DST-6.

Don't blame me. I'd prefer sidereal time. :P

~Neal
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

This brings up the question... if that is the case, why haven't I noticed before? Am I that clueless? Did something change w/ the new clock yesterday (seems plausible since you changed the clock and I immediately noticed an issue w/ the clock). Perhaps phpBB doesn't handle DST on its own... wouldn't be unheard of. Anyhoo...

Rip, do you have your profile set to the 'right' timezone, or did you set it one off because of DST?

Is the server now, w/ the new clock, set to GMT instead of the server local time? Was it local time before?

so many questions... heh
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'll let Rip comment on the recent clock change (there was one), but I've had my setting at GMT -6 since the recent move to DST a few weeks ago, and my settings have been correct that whole time. If you didn't manually change from GMT -7 to GMT -6 a couple of weeks ago then I have no idea how your forum time would have been reading correctly.

~Neal
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

The Meal wrote:If you didn't manually change from GMT -7 to GMT -6 a couple of weeks ago then I have no idea how your forum time would have been reading correctly.
Yeah - there is always the chance it hasn't been right and I just now noticed.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kratz wrote:This brings up the question... if that is the case, why haven't I noticed before? Am I that clueless? Did something change w/ the new clock yesterday (seems plausible since you changed the clock and I immediately noticed an issue w/ the clock). Perhaps phpBB doesn't handle DST on its own... wouldn't be unheard of. Anyhoo...

Rip, do you have your profile set to the 'right' timezone, or did you set it one off because of DST?

Is the server now, w/ the new clock, set to GMT instead of the server local time? Was it local time before?

so many questions... heh
My profile is set to GMT -5 right now. I am in the central timezone. I actually keep the server clock set to local time. It automatically updates for DST. I think that phpBB is aware and converts the server time to GMT and alters that by the setting in your profile. Thereby causing what you see (or don't) that the server adjusts for DST automatically but the forum does not.

I'm suprised there is not a mod to make it DST aware, or maybe there is. Gedd! Gedd! Gedd! (It's kind of like bettlejuice, you have to chant his name 3 times :wink: )

Rip
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Mmm...wha? I was just taking the most wonderful nap.
Rip wrote:I'm suprised there is not a mod to make it DST aware, or maybe there is.
Not really, and I imagine it's because it's not such a big deal to change the user profile time setting. It would be nice if there was some sort of board-wide adjustment that occured, with an optional toggle in the user CP, but alas, we'll have to settle for adjusting it manually twice a year.

For the record, the server time is correct for me, and I'm adjusted to GMT-4 which is the Eastern time zone setting during (or after, I can never remember which this is) DST.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Did we have to do this at GG also? I don't remember ever having to change my setting. I assumed it used the time from my PC clock. Apparently I was wrong.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

GG always ran at the time of the server -- you never had to set your own personal differential from GMT.

~Neal