Games Finished: 2017 - Now with 100% less 2016.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Games Finished: 2017 - Now with 100% less 2016.

Post by Blackhawk »

2016 is dead! Happy New Games!

Here's a place to list the games you've been playing and finishing, a tradition that comes from the Before Times, when we were called by a different name, when the Overlords had yet to arise. List games you finished this year, using your judgment on open-ended games. An 'abandoned' section to your list is fine, too.

To begin with, post once, then edit that post to serve as a sort of 'master list.'

Remember, give this thread a couple of weeks for everyone interested to claim a spot on the first page or two for their list, then it will open up for general discussion.

Here are the previous Games Finished threads, edited for the first post:

2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Re: Games Finished: 2017 - Now with 100% less 2016.

Post by Blackhawk »

Time for another go. Perhaps this year I will try and wipe a few shorter games off of my to-do list.

Finished (PC unless specified):
  • Torchlight II (in co-op)
  • Total WarWar: Warhammer
  • TRAUMA
  • Warhammer End Time: Vermintide
  • Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter + Trials of the Luremaster
  • Fallout 4 + all DLC*
  • Borderlands (in co-op), two play throughs plus all DLC
  • Shadow Warrior (2013)
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior
  • The Deadly Tower of Monsters
  • Doom (2016)
  • Infested Planet
Playing:
  • Skyrim
Side Games (multiplayer, coop only etc):
  • Overwatch
  • Warhammer End Time: Vermintide
  • Sanctum 2 (co-op)
1-1 - Starting the year off right with a finished game. The kids and I finished a cooperative run through of Torchlight II. It was generally a good game, although I had a few issues with it (the effects were so big that I couldn't see myself or enemies half the time, and the loot drops seemed off.) Still, it was great time.

1-25 - Finished my second long campaign in Total War: Warhammer. I love this. I've been wanting a good fantasy Total War game since Medieval.

1-25 - TRAUMA. What the hell did I just play.

2-9 - Warhammer End Times: Vermintide. Although I will continue to play it with others, I did finish the campaign on multiple difficulties (probably several times over by now.)

3-13 - Icewind Dale + all expansions. A blast from the past that has been on hold for too long. I'm glad to have finally finished it, although I didn't care for the Luremaster expansion.

3-27 - I finished Fallout 4 with all of the DLC. Well, technically I didn't finish Fallout 4 again, as I didn't see the main quest through. I'm not too worried about it, as I just finished the main quest about a year ago, right after release. This time I was mainly interested in exploring the DLC and all the stuff the mod community has come up with. The install is at ~100GB, so I certainly got that out of it. My first playthrough ended at 188 hours, and Steam shows me at 402 hours now over about five months. I finished all of the DLC. I consider that enough to call it finished - besides, I'm so powerful now that it isn't much of a challenge.

I didn't really like many of the story related DLC. Automatron was actually pretty good, but Nuka World was written to only make sense to a single type of character, and Far Harbor, while a great setting, let me talk myself into a situation that made absolutely zero sense with no alternative options. The others, which just added building stuff, were fine. It's still a great game, but I'm glad to be done for a few years (and to get a huge fraction of my SSD back!)

4-16 - Finished Shadow Warrior at 22 hours. Fun old-school shooter. It's got enough options to give the combat some depth, and had some entertaining environments, although there were times it got a little repetitive. Definitely worth the play.

6-30 - Finished Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior. Interesting. A little meditative for a personality with a completionist personality. I've got the full game, but haven't given it a whirl yet. I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, which has really cut into my 'finish games' plan, but I'm trying to mix it up to avoid burnout.

7/3 - The Deadly Tower of Monsters
Spoiler:
I just polished off The Deadly Tower of Monsters. The premise is simple: You are watching a VHS of an old low budget 50s pulp sci-fi B movie while the director records the commentary for the DVD release.

You control the characters (leading man, space woman who has never seen a man, robot) through a sort of 3D action-shooter-platformer, complete with VHS video artifacts, cheesy sci-fi soundtrack, and the director commenting on the actors, the filming, and the oddities that don't make any sense (like how player deaths were just footage accidentally left in, or how much the prop guy hated having to re-build all of the crates that got smashed.) The gameplay was fun, challenging at times, but not really tough on normal difficulty. There were optional collectibles, weapon upgrades, basics skills, and special abilities. The story has you climbing a massive, massive tower that goes from ground level to orbit, and at any point you can look down and see the entire thing, or even jump off and fall all the way down to any point you'd been at previously, landing with your trusty jetpack at the last second (and you could always teleport back.)

They pull off the B movie schtick brilliantly. The VHS effects really work, and the look is spot-on. The 'monsters' you fight are obviously guys stuck in a rubber suit, and if anything flies you can clearly see the wires. When larger monsters appear, they're animated in such a way that they look like the were filmed using stop-motion photography. You carried two melee and two ranged weapons from a large selection, all typical fun sci-fi nonsense (including one blaster that was obviously an electric razor, and one gun that was a small vacuum.)

My only real complaints were that the last chapter's narrative kind of went off the tracks, and that some of the special abilities were never really communicated to the player (I still don't know exactly what the big bubble thing that everyone had actually did.) It was a little too easy at times, but again, I played on normal. It was still tough enough that boss fights required some effort, but never to the point of being dull or frustrating. It was the perfect length for that, too, being maybe 4-5 hours. Any longer and it would have gotten tedious, but it was fine for that length of time.

Not a perfect game, but a ton of fun and a great setting. Maybe a 7.5/10.
8-12 - Doom (2016) is done. A good, solid old-school shooter. I got all the secrets, collectibles, and so on on my first playthrough, which was a mistake. It disrupted the flow of the game. I may come back to this one a second time some day and just play it.

9/7 - Infested Planet (with thanks to hitbyambulance for the PIFF.) The best way to describe this would be to imagine Starcraft's Terran campaign against the Zerg, except without the elaborate base building and resources. You only have one resource, and you get that by taking down enemy points. The only building you do is plop down some buildings in the corner that are essentially power-ups for your troops, plus maybe a turret here and there. Then you lead six or eight marines around RTS style, going up against tens of thousands of alien insects. It was a fun game, and lasted just long enough to get enough without ever feeling like it was too much.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

In In In
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finished

Watch_Dogs (1/1/17) (90% of the work was done in 2016, but rules are rules)
Deadfall Adventures (1/4/17)
Batman: Arkham Knight (2/15/17)
DOOM (2016) (3/11/17)
Call of Duty Ghosts (3/11/17)
Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (3/15/17)
ABZÛ (3/21/17)
Battlefield 1 - Single Player Campaign (4/2/17)
GTA V (5/25/17)
Firewatch (7/15/17)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (main story) (9/9/17)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (10/9/17)
Orwell (10/16/17)
The Last Door (12/29/17)

Abandoned

Skullgirls (2/20/17)

11 games finished in 2016
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

FINISHED
Reigns - Fun but tedious toward the end - JAN
Pony Island - Weird little puzzle game - JAN
Mirror's Edge - A bit frustrating at times, I'm looking at you New Eden Atrium jump - JAN
Dear Esther - I'm not actually sure this is a game - JAN
more Twilight Struggle games - mostly losing to ElGuapo, but it's fun. - JAN thru DEC
Battle Brothers - MAR thru AUG
Oxenfree - Glad I kept playing even though the dialogue cut other character's lines off. Still annoying but worth it. - MAR
SteamWorld Heist - MAR
Pague Inc Evolved - A couple of games. Filler game good for short distractions. - JUNE
Life is Strange - Somehow overcomes its many flaws to be a worthwhile "game" - JUNE
Gwent standalone - SEP, OCT, NOV
Atom Zombie Smasher Revisited. Still fun, played a few games of it. - NOV

2016 - 15 games finished
2015 - 12 games finished
2014 - 4 games finished
2013 - 21 games finished
2012 - 12 games finished
2011 - 27 games finished
Last edited by Archinerd on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 am, edited 18 times in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I claim this land for Spain.

Games I should have finished in 2016, but got distracted:
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS - I am about 15 hours in and I suspect at least another 10 more
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse for the 3DS - In the final annoying dungeon to the big boss:
Spoiler:
God - as in the Judeo-Christian creator... only in a Japanese game
Stardew Valley - Married and in Year 2, but... oooooh.... new and shiny!
Last edited by baelthazar on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Let's get this party started...

Finished
01/04 - Endless Legends (Wild Walkers - Normal)
01/21 - XCOM 2 (Veteran, liberal use of quicksave)
01/28 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
02/18 - Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Nisha)
02/26 - Hard West
03/20 - Hard West: Scars of Freedom DLC
03/31 - Divinity: Original Sin EE (co-op)
04/05 - The Lord of the Rings: War in the North (co-op, Normal difficulty)
04/22 - Ghost Recon: Wildlands (100%)
08/06 - Fallout 4 (Survivor - Brotherhood of Steel)
09/02 - BioShock Remastered
10/09 - Far Cry 2
10/10 - Saint's Row IV: Gat Out of Hell (story complete, still working on the last few collectibles)

Ongoing
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (almost all missions on Nightmare)
Rainbow Six: Siege
Diablo 3 (Season 10 - Necromancer)
Killing Floor 2
Path of Exile
Last edited by TheMix on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am, edited 14 times in total.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Last year I finished very few games. Here is where I will tell of the even fewer I will likely finish in 2017 (turned out to be lots of little short games).

5/10 Miniature: The Story Puzzle (PC) -Twelve scenarios with five static scenes each to put in sequential order. Cute but too short and easy, 45 minutes and dumped back to the main menu with zero replay value.
9/10 The Beginner's Guide (PC) - This is what I would want to do if I were creative in this medium. A game about the people who make games and the people who play them. Or just people...but -1 for no game.
7/10 Armikrog (PC) - Sort of follow up to The Neverhood from years ago, but it has some serious problems as point-and-click adventures go. Still, I'm glad I played it. No hints used!
8/10 A Date in the Park (PC) - A nice little one hour free game about a guy looking for a girl and finding some unexpected things.
8/10 Nightmares From the Deep 2: The Siren's Call (PC) - All of this company's hidden object games seem to be pretty high quality, other than the fact that you tend to do a lot of the same disguised as different.
9/10 Beautiful Japanese Scenery Animated Jigsaws (PC) - Did every size of every puzzle. I liked this better than Pixel Puzzles even though the pieces don't rotate in this game. Cool moving pictures!
8/10 Wild Animals Animated Jigsaws (PC) - Did every size of every puzzle. Same idea as Beautiful Japanese Scenery, moving pictures, but I didn't think the blurry scenery around each animal was very fun as a puzzle.
8/10 klocki (PC) - Solved all of the puzzles in about 2 hours. They were clever puzzles, not too hard, but for $1 you get a very short game.
8/10 interLOGIC (PC) - Solved all of the puzzles in about 2 hours. They were clever puzzles, not too hard...wait, didn't I just say this?
7/10 Fantasy Mosaics 14: Fourth Color (PC) - Plain old picross mosaic logic game, with a lame hint system that you shouldn't need. A couple of images really did come down to a guess or two, but most were okay.
8/10 Glass Masquerade (PC) - Not a perfect jigsaw puzzle game, but the artwork is beautiful. Difficulty is low, game is about 4 hours of content.
7/10 The Walking Dead: Michonne (PC) - Hard to compare to the earliest episodes of the series, so kind of a take-it-or-leave-it mini-season, but worth playing if you want more Telltale Walking Dead.
2/10 Taiku Mansion (PC) - Saved from a 1/10 by actually being playable for the 10 minutes it takes to finish the game, this must be a joke. The problem is that it's not funny. Better web browser games are free.
8/10 The Bunker (PC) - A great interactive movie, with the emphasis on movie, not the interaction. If you want interaction with meaningful gameplay, this is more like a 4/10, meaning it works but that's about it.
9/10 Maize (PC) - Great single player adventure game that's like Portal minus puzzles plus more Alice in Wonderland. And corn. Very satisfying game.
6/10 Hare in the Hat: The Abyss (PC) - Cheap DLC for Hare in the Hat that takes less than an hour, but the puzzles are okay.
8/10 Rusty Lake Hotel (PC) - Great, creepy room escape game. Very original, only hurt by being short and Flash.
8/10 Rusty Lake: Roots (PC) - Longer and more story than Hotel, but I'm docking a point for a cheap way to drag out to epilogue to more play time.
6/10 Sakura Fantasy, Sakura Angels (PC) - I admit I finished two of these...typical visual novels with a decent story, nothing special.
Last edited by JetFred on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 24 times in total.
I have but one advocate.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Coop's games completed in 2017!
Sniper Elite 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ryse: Son of Rome
Mass Effect Andromeda
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Bloodborne
The Surge
Persona 5
Life is Strange
Factorio
Middle Earth: Shadow of War - I didn't complete the Act IV grind, but it's just a grind with no story, so I am calling it done
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Need for Speed: Payback
Nioh
NieR:Automata

Coop's games abandoned completely in 2017!
Torment: Tides of Numenera (paid for it years ago, I suppose I should play it) - gave the key away once I understood what the game was
Mirror's Edge
Pathfinder Adventures

Coop's games he expects to play in 2017!
State of Decay 2
Crackdown 3 (maybe?)

Future Release Tracking
Last edited by coopasonic on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I resolve to play harder and eat less in 2017. :horse:
Let's start with what I bought on the winter sale today (January 1st):

Primordia
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart
Borderlands 2 Game of the Year
Final Fantasy VII
The Age of Decadence
Dungeonmans
Salt
Gold Rush! Anniversary Special Edition
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Choice of Robots
Undertale
Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition
Hero of the Kingdom II
The Quest
Hero of the Kingdom

FWIW - I remember when I spent this much on a single game - THESE are the good old days :mrgreen: FINISHED

Betrayal at Krondor - (2/26/17) today this game has the singular honor of being the only RPG that I've played to the end TWICE. The first time was on a 13" CRT in 1993 when it came out. It was a joy to play over again - even in all its 27" pixelated glory. If you love RPGs, BaK is an absolute must...

Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC - on my ipad - 3/1/17 --- was a perfect LITTLE tactical time-filler for 15-20 minutes breaks a work. I emphasize "little" because I was caught by surprise when I thought I was heading out for another mission and the game credits were suddenly rolling down the screen. So I guess this gem even had a "surprise" ending for me :roll:

Age of Decadence - (3/30/17) I played as a thief and found myself loading/saving a lot to conserve skill points at skill checkpoints throughout the game. My story tailored itself around being a thief and I really enjoyed the walls-of-text and the choose-your-own-adventure style of play. I read somewhere there are 20+ different endings. Well, I ended my game by becoming the God Agathoth's #1 thrall. Very cool! (FWIW in this playthru I got 27 of the 109 achievements.)
Last edited by Dave Allen on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished
Tyranny
80 Days
Shadowrun Hong Kong (extended edition)
Torment: Tides of Numenara ~ (Male) Observant Nano who Brandishes a Silver Tongue
Civ VI
Dead Space 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Tower of Time (pre-release)
Prey
Age of Decadence ~ a Persuasive, Streetsmart Merchant who carries a Dagger but which is only for show
Asura
Gorogoa

In Play
Darkest Dungeon
Banner Saga

Abandoned
Betrayer
A lot of fun, initially. Unfortunately, I fell into the "downward spiral" of dying, running out of ammo, and running out of of funds to replenish ammo. I do, however, recommend this to anyone who (unlike myself) does not suck horribly at FPS games that rely on sneaking, accuracy, strategy, and possess patience.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004
Last edited by Jolor on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 46 times in total.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - 9/10 - January
The Room 3 - 8/10 - January
Abzu - 5/10 - January
Aragami - 7/10 - January
Orwell - 8.5/10 - January
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - 8.5/10 - February
Yarn Yoshi - 8.0/10 - February
Lifeline - 6.0/10 - March
Teslagrad - 4.0/10 - April
Infinity Blade III - 7.5/10 - April
Planetbase - 6.5/10 - April
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9/10 - May
Dawn of War III - 7.0/10 - May
Doom (2016)- 5.5/10 - May
Type: Rider - 4.0/10 - May
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 7.0/10 - May
Monument Valley 2 - 8/10 - June
What Remains of Edith Finch - 8/10 - June
SPACEPLAN - 7.0/10 - June
Invisible, Inc. - 8.0/10 - June
The Mooseman - 5.0/10 - July
Pyre - 9/10 - August
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 8/10 - August
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 7.0/10 - September
Uncharted 4: A Thieves End - 8.5/10 - September
Super Metroid - 7.5/10 - September
Prey - 9/10 - September
Samus Returns - 7.5/10 - November
Warioland 4 - 7.5/10 - December
Hollow Knight (True Ending) - 9.5/10 - December

Previous Years
2016 - 27 games finished
2015 - 18 games finished
2014 - 39 games finished
2013 - 46 games finished
2012 - 53 games finished
2011 - 38 games finished
2010 - 21 games finished
Last edited by Lordnine on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop20906's 2017 Games Finished List

In Progress
  • Fallout 4
Finished
  • Quantum Break - (9/10) Big budget, launch title, stellar graphics, sci fi AND time travel, accompanying TV show, popular actors, branching paths with choices, tons of little side/optional content ... if I was trying to describe my dream game then Quantum Break would be it. And THIS is a 10 star game however it also feels a little bloated and over done at times and the story seems to miss its point and rambles around to fit in all the neat story ideas and game elements that it had. Still, I loved all the polish. Its incredible the amount of effort that was put into this game. From all the backstory email/articles/radio shows/paintings to just the overall level design everything feels real or at least real in the universe. At the same time you can see all the silly little bits the developers dropped for fans like the references to Alan Wake. However, the TV show was a big miss to me and pretty much proves the point that video does not improve the gaming experience. Having the real actors and shooting real scenes sounds great but it felt tacked on explored mostly uninteresting side characters. I could have done without it and the major hit to my hard drive. Also, the illusion of choice didn't work out so well and who could be surprised. When you dump in all the costly assets you can't let a choice by the gamer cause them not to be used. At the end of that I think you could strip out the choices and the emphasis on its side characters and I think the game would have been all the better for it. Oops, need to mention that combat is fun and playable and the powers turn into something pretty neat. So in summary: Great game but would have been better with less extra. Jan. 8, 2017
  • ABZU - (8/10) This game is an awesome screen save to just have on in the background. The music, colors, sights and sounds and all the neat fish and mammals. Just so relaxing and so fun. There aren't really any objectives other than just to follow the journey. The art style slightly reminds of Prince of Persia which is another game that just looked great. I think if you just want a break from objectives, quests, times, and stats give this one a try. Take a little break from it all. Jan. 9, 2017
  • The Witch 3: Wild Hunt - (10/10) REVIEW GOES HERE. Feb. 2, 2017
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - (6/10) REVIEW GOES HERE. March 4, 2017
  • Alien: Isolation - (8/10) REVIEW GOES HERE. September 8, 2017
Previous Years
Last edited by Scoop20906 on Wed May 29, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Games Finished:

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4)
Lapland Solitaire (PC)
The Maw (XB1)

Working on:

Witcher 3 (PC)
Last edited by YellowKing on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Let's see what I manage to finish this year.

Finished:
Warhammer: Vermintide (the base game, all missions, two of the three dlc)
Bear With Me Episode 1
Bear With Me Episode 2
The Room 2
Hidden Folks

Ongoing:
Warhammer: Vermintide
Elder Scrolls Online
Last edited by Bad Demographic on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I am playing Civ 6 this year. I am not aware of any other game coming out this year that would cause me to stop playing Civ 6.
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Finished pandemic legacy successfully. Had score ~570. Was a good run.
Batman Arkham Knight - enjoyed the Batmobile except when I didn't.
Last edited by Montag on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
words
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New update!

Quantum Break - (9/10) Big budget, launch title, stellar graphics, sci fi AND time travel, accompanying TV show, popular actors, branching paths with choices, tons of little side/optional content ... if I was trying to describe my dream game then Quantum Break would be it. And THIS is a 10 star game however it also feels a little bloated and over done at times and the story seems to miss its point and rambles around to fit in all the neat story ideas and game elements that it had. Still, I loved all the polish. Its incredible the amount of effort that was put into this game. From all the backstory email/articles/radio shows/paintings to just the overall level design everything feels real or at least real in the universe. At the same time you can see all the silly little bits the developers dropped for fans like the references to Alan Wake. However, the TV show was a big miss to me and pretty much proves the point that video does not improve the gaming experience. Having the real actors and shooting real scenes sounds great but it felt tacked on explored mostly uninteresting side characters. I could have done without it and the major hit to my hard drive. Also, the illusion of choice didn't work out so well and who could be surprised. When you dump in all the costly assets you can't let a choice by the gamer cause them not to be used. At the end of that I think you could strip out the choices and the emphasis on its side characters and I think the game would have been all the better for it. Oops, need to mention that combat is fun and playable and the powers turn into something pretty neat. So in summary: Great game but would have been better with less extra. Jan. 8, 2017

Jump to Scoop20906 2017 Games List

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New update!

ABZU - (8/10) This game is an awesome screen save to just have on in the background. The music, colors, sights and sounds and all the neat fish and mammals. Just so relaxing and so fun. There aren't really any objectives other than just to follow the journey. The art style slightly reminds of Prince of Persia which is another game that just looked great. I think if you just want a break from objectives, quests, times, and stats give this one a try. Take a little break from it all. Jan. 9, 2017

Jump to Scoop20906 2017 Games List

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Montag wrote:Finished pandemic legacy successfully. Had score ~570. Was a good run.
Congrats. That is a hell of a good game.

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Finished
  1. Gridiron Solitaire (Jan 8) Rating 6/8. Football is about managing a hopeless situation well enough to let miracles happen, and this game does a remarkable job of simulating that. I played two seasons on Rookie difficulty. My Georgia Peaches did poorly in the first season, but their subsequent draft picks carried them to the second season's quarterfinals where they got creamed 45-3.
  2. Ingenious (Jan 9, iOS) Rating 6/8. This is an adaptation of a board game in which you place tiles of different colors to match colors and score points. The best part is the scoring; when the board is full, your lowest-scoring color is compared to your opponent's lowest-scoring color to determine the winner. This means you need to pay attention to all the colors instead of just dominating the board with one or two. I'm able to beat the Hard AI about 25% of the time (on untimed mode).
  3. Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition (Apr 9, PC, 171 hours, Very Hard difficulty, Hardcore mode) Rating 5/8. (opinion) (mod list)
  4. King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (Apr 26) Rating: 6/8: Even 25 years after release, this game holds up. It has a charming, humorous world to explore, a good pace, and mostly fair puzzles. I needed a few hints to win the game, and even then, I didn't get the optimal ending. As good as this game is, it's still bested by my nostalgic favorite, KQ4.
  5. Poker Night at the Inventory (Jun 30, 77 minutes) Rating: 4/8. Fun and funny way to learn and play Texas Hold 'em, though its appeal is short-lived. I played a couple of Tournaments on Hard difficulty, winning one.
  6. But to Paint a Universe (July 7, Adventure mode, 4 hours): Rating: 4/8. Match-3-like game in which the object isn't to clear gems but to get them to fall into certain slots before you run out of clicks. Each board adds a twist that can be neat or annoying.
  7. Persona 5 Take Your Heart Premium Edition (Oct 21, PS4, 278.5 hours) Rating: 5/8 (opinion)
  8. The Last of Us Remastered (Nov 7) Rating: 4/8 (opinion)
  9. Scanner Sombre (Nov 30, PC) Rating: 5/8. Introversion's walking simulator has you spelunking a pitch black cave. You "paint" the walls with a handheld scanner so you can find your way around. Visually striking, a challenge to navigate. Story is decent.
Rating system: 6-8 Heh; 4-5 Meh; 0-3 Bleh.

Playing
  1. Aquaria: I've played this underwater Metroid-like game for 20 hours. I like it, though it can be tedious because of the far-apart save points and the general lack of direction.
  2. Earthbound: I'm in the second town. This game can be funny, goofy, and challenging, but does it deserve its status as a classic JRPG? Too early to say.
  3. Lost Odyssey: I'm on disc 2 of 4. So far it's an average JRPG with an occasionally amazing story.
  4. Luna Silver Star Story Touch: I had put this game away for a year and a half because I was frustrated by the Vile Crustacean boss battle. Recently, I picked the game back up and won the battle after a couple of attempts. So I just might finish this supposed classic JRPG after all.
  5. Out There: Omega Edition: It's like FTL but the enemy is now resource scarcity instead of other ships. I've earned the Green ending so far and hope to earn the other three endings. Playing on "Easy" difficulty.
Abandoned
  1. Vigil RPG: A retro RPG that distills the genre down to a combat-centric puzzle-like challenge. Kinda cool but also grindiose.
  2. Close Order: This shmup reminds me of an old coin-op game named Tac-Scan. You control a formation of ships that you can rearrange, replace, and upgrade. There's even a story. But the game's way too hard. I can't even complete the first mission.
  3. Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers: This physics puzzler is cute, innovative, and annoying. One hour was enough for me.
  4. King's Quest V: Maybe this game is good, but I could only stand a half-hour of it. It seems so noisy and disorganized.
  5. Dollar Dash: Chaotic, shallow, multiplayer-focused arena arcade game.
  6. Never Alone: I was having an OK time with this beautiful, culturally significant puzzle platformer until I hit lagging performance issues in the third chapter that made the game unplayable and even forced my PC to shut down. I may come back to this once I get a better computer.
  7. Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater: I enjoyed the first MGS game on PC and heard MGS3 was the best in the series, so I was looking forward to trying this one. But the 3DS version is marred by clunky controls and poor visibility. I never finished the first chapter.
Finished games of yore: 2006 (15); 2007 (14); 2008 (20); 2009 (23); 2010 (13); 2011 (15); 2012 (17); 2013 (25); 2014 (25); 2015 (9); 2016 (8)
Last edited by Hipolito on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
EddieA

Post by EddieA »

Games Finished
=============
Batman : The Telltale Series (PS4, Platinum Trophy)
The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess Picross (3DS, 15 hours)
Sky Crew (PC)
Blackwell Unbound (PC) - 4 hours
Mystika 3 (PC)
Johnny's Payday Panic (3DS) - 15 hours
Ratchet & Clank : Up Your Arsenal HD (PS3, 26 hours, 68% Trophies)
Corridor Z (PS4) - 100% Trophies
Pac-Man 256 (XBox One) - 22 hours, 900G
Temple of Life : The Legend of Four Elements (PC)
Last edited by EddieA on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Tyranny
A really fun game that builds (and improves upon) Pillars of Eternity. Shorter, granted, but more focused and more geared towards replay. The 'evil empire' setting is intriguing and well done. In standard RPGs, you would lose reputation or some|such when choosing an "Evil" response. While your companions do have different reactions to your problem solving approach, the general populace seems to accept actions such as bribery requests or outright stealing as expected. The opening conquest sequence is gorgeous and your decisions there directly impact the story.
7 o' 8 tentacles
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I really want to play Tyranny but just waiting for the price drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Scoop20906 wrote:I really want to play Tyranny but just waiting for the price drop.
When it does, you'll enjoy it...although if the Planescape game is out, it'll be a tough decision.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

80 Days

Thoroughly engaging and hella fun! Have played it a few times and the number of different paths to your final destination - as well as the decisions to be made along the way - make this one of games where replay is so incredibly enjoyable.
8 o' 8 tentacles
Last edited by Jolor on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Jolor wrote:80 Days

Thoroughly engaging and hella fun! Have played it a few times and the number of different paths to your final destination - as well as the decisions to be made along the way - make this one of games where replay is so incredibly enjoyable.
8 o' 8 tentacles
This is my favorite game to play on my IPhone while on a Plane or Train. The music and sound effects just make me feel like I am on an adventure.

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

80 Days ...
This is my favourite game to play on my IPhone while on a Plane or Train. The music and sound effects just make me feel like I am on an adventure.
That last point made me realize how much I appreciate how the lackadaisical lull that the music, sound and conversations contrasts with the urgency of making it around the world in the 80 days. Planning things out are so important to come in on time and on budge...WHAT THE? IT'S A PROJECT MANAGEMENT SIM?!?!?!?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remember Me (courtesy of pyperkub) - Climbing 'puzzles' and timing based combos, with the odd quick time event to fight the powers in NeoParis that are in control of everyone's memories. 8/10.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Finished my second long campaign in Total War: Warhammer. The game has a lot of stuff to do, but I'm done for now, and two long campaigns is enough that I have no problem putting it on my list. I still hate CA's approach to DLC (there is too much of it, and it is too expensive for what you get, and some of it shouldn't be paid at all - like the blood effects), but this is the best Total War game I've played in quite a while. I haven't been so drawn in since Medieval II.

I also just finished TRAUMA. I gave it about an hour, which is enough time to actually finish all four 'missions' plus some. It's a point-and-click Flash game. It was well made, although the controls weren't perfect. I can't say I liked it, though. It was way, way to abstract and artsy for me, like I was stuck inside a giant metaphor. Perhaps I'm just way too literal of a thinker, but I had absolutely no idea what anything I was doing meant or was meant to represent.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Finished: Tyranny
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

The story and writing are wonderful strengths. Everything else had a MotS feel to it - except the dekking. I did not enjoy the mini-game 'hacking', nor the timing required to make it past the 'sniffers'. I would also have liked more control in how my party levelled up instead of just being to choose a single perk for them. For example, letting me multi-class them or even buy them new goodies from the store would have made the game far more enjoyable.

Despite those frustrations / limitations, I did enjoy my play-through as a Street Samurai - largely due to the great story and dialogue.

6 o' 8 tentacles
CatsNeverDie

Post by CatsNeverDie »

Completed in 2017:
Quantum Break
Dark Souls 3

Playing:
Gears of War 4
Mortal Kombat XL
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Witcher 3 Complete Edition

Wishing for :P
Resident Evil 7
Mass Effect Andromeda
Tekken 7
How to find out which life the cat is on?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just finished Icewind Dale, finally. I've started it three times, but always got distracted. I loved the game, but it reminded me how much I hated the era of insanely difficult final bosses. That one fight took me probably six or eight tries (with a long unskippable dialog) over the course of two hours. It was designed in such a way that three of my six characters couldn't even participate.

Other than that (and much of Trials of the Luremaster), it was a great game.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Real late to the party this year (and I've sponsored this thread for a few years, Sigh . . . .) Any ways slight change up because mostly mobile games this year (loving my Ipad)

Gummy Drops - (everlasting)
SimCity Buildit - (everlasting)
Gardenscape - abandonded: impossible levels without pay

PC - Completed
Ghost Encounters
Queens Quest

Playing
Cities Skyline
Deus Ex Mankind
The Quest

Biting at the bit (wanna play)
Ghost of a Tale
Dishonored 2
AKA: Dajjer
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finished Fallout 4 with all of the DLC. Well, technically I didn't finish Fallout 4 again, as I didn't see the main quest through. I'm not too worried about it, as I just finished the main quest about a year ago, right after release. This time I was mainly interested in exploring the DLC and all the stuff the mod community has come up with. The install is at ~100GB, so I certainly got that out of it. My first playthrough ended at 188 hours, and Steam shows me at 402 hours now over about five months. I finished all of the DLC. I consider that enough to call it finished - besides, I'm so powerful now that it isn't much of a challenge.

I didn't really like many of the story related DLC. Automatron was actually pretty good, but Nuka World was written to only make sense to a single type of character, and Far Harbor, while a great setting, let me talk myself into a situation that made absolutely zero sense with no alternative options. The others, which just added building stuff, were fine. It's still a great game, but I'm glad to be done for a few years (and to get a huge fraction of my SSD back!)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Torment: Tides of Numenara

It certainly retains what made PS:T great. The scope seems more limited but the incentive to replay to try out different outcomes seems greater.

It took me until after I took the airship trip to really start getting a handle on the plot and what I should (as opposed to could) do next. It took me a bit longer before I started to get comfortable with managing crises and deploying inventory to the right character, and making better choices when levelling. I still think my Skills/Abilities choices need massive improvement.

Yet, I don't see this as a negative.

It, along with the desire to choose a different character, choose different characters, and make different RP choices is a big draw to replay.

8 o' 8 tentacles
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Civ VI
Day one purchase which is a rarity for me. Icewind Dale may have been the last time I did this.

However, Civ VI has yet to hold my interest. I'm not sure why as I'm "ok" with all of the changes (just as I don't mind adjusting for each new major release ... it's what keeps the series fresh, after all).

I should probably dig into this further to better understand the "why" ... but I don't really care to.

I'm sure I'll play this as the desire warrants; I doubt, however, that I'll be springing for expansions that improve the experience ... those days are passed.

(for the record, played Civ II, Test of Time, Call to Power, III, IV and V)

5 o' 8 tentacles
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Dead Space 2

The gunner sequence at the end of the last game is why I took so long to take this on. I remembered it as a difficult game with over the top bosses. Not so here. The end of the first chapter did have a challenging boss battle but, after that, it was "unfold the story" time. Maybe I was just more used to the weapons, controls and level-up scheme the second time around; I did focus almost exclusively on pouring points into the plasma cutter and pulse rifle and then the line rifle once they were at the level I wanted. And there did seem to be more story to unfold here.

The ending is a clear setup for DS3. The question, though, is do I play it?

6 o' 8 tentacles
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Spec Ops: The Line
Not as moralistically challenging as I had thought - but, then again, I'm an RPG player where this has been the norm and, more so, a trend of late.
The only thing that I can complain about is the drift when in sniper mode. But, perhaps, the game didn't want you to sit back in snipe-mode so that was done deliberately. Pretty positive overall.

My ending
Spoiler:
Survived until the rescue mission found me. Dropped my weapon and "headed home".
6 o' 8 tentacles