[Scalzi] Old Man's War

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

[Scalzi] Old Man's War

Post by Zaxxon »

Given the status of this book, I'm amazed that it doesn't have a thread here. I started the book late last night and am a third of the way done this morning. What an entertaining and original (in my experience, at least) tale so far. Any love from other OOers? Is the whole series this good?
McNutt

Re: [Scalzi] Old Man's War

Post by McNutt »

I really liked it too. If you like Old Man's War I highly recommend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It's the same theme of future war where you can never truly go back.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I thought it was more derivative than original, feeling a LOT like Starship Troopers with a more engaging action element to the story. That said, I thought it was an extremely enjoyable read and I liked it very much. It was the story I wished Starship Troopers had been. The two sequels were each successively less good, but I still liked them.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

It doesn't have a thread, but it gets plenty of mentions. I don't remember if that's why I read it or not. I thought it was pretty good but I never touched any sequels.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I enjoyed them all well worth reading
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I believe I got to about Zoe's Tale before I grew tired of the series. Read them all in quick succession though, so that may have had something to do with it. Scalzi has a new one out in June called Redshirts, which parodies the Star Trek away team paradigm.

I actually really liked Scalzi's first work, Agent to the Stars. A quirky little fun tale. I believe he made it available for free at some point.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finished the book (and am halfway through book 2 and still enjoying the series immensely).
McNutt wrote:I really liked it too. If you like Old Man's War I highly recommend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It's the same theme of future war where you can never truly go back.
It's on my to-read list.
Odin wrote:I thought it was more derivative than original, feeling a LOT like Starship Troopers with a more engaging action element to the story. That said, I thought it was an extremely enjoyable read and I liked it very much. It was the story I wished Starship Troopers had been. The two sequels were each successively less good, but I still liked them.
It's certainly inspired by Starship Troopers, but I'd peg it closer to 'original' than 'derivative' on the original-to-derivative meter. Also, there are 4 sequels, no? I'm on 'book 2 of 5'.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ChaoZ wrote:I believe I got to about Zoe's Tale before I grew tired of the series. Read them all in quick succession though, so that may have had something to do with it. Scalzi has a new one out in June called Redshirts, which parodies the Star Trek away team paradigm.

I actually really liked Scalzi's first work, Agent to the Stars. A quirky little fun tale. I believe he made it available for free at some point.
Nice post timing--yours came in while I was composing my last reply. I heard about this Redshirts book and will definitely have to check it out. Ceiling is high on that one. :) Thanks for the Agent to the Stars heads-up.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Spoiler:
Most of the characters are essentially the same in ideology, tone, and verbal style. If you're looking for dept of characterization, turn elsewhere.

The plot progresses by means of combat set pieces. The main character resolves each scenario through a display of intelligence. We're expected to think his peers and superiors are smart but that he's brilliant; however, it comes across as if he's equipped with a grasp of the obvious and everyone around him is dull witted.

The book reads, in language and construction, as if the author had one eye on movie adaptation at all times.
There's worse light fare, but this is pretty thin gruel.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Spoiler:
Most of the characters are essentially the same in ideology, tone, and verbal style. If you're looking for dept of characterization, turn elsewhere.

The plot progresses by means of combat set pieces. The main character resolves each scenario through a display of intelligence. We're expected to think his peers and superiors are smart but that he's brilliant; however, it comes across as if he's equipped with a grasp of the obvious and everyone around him is dull witted.

The book reads, in language and construction, as if the author had one eye on movie adaptation at all times.
Yeah but that'sthe point with these types of book, there are thousands of literay geniuses out there to read but as an avid reader amongst the literature there needs to be some decent pap.

Variety is the spice of life and some decent pap is not to be snubbed and this is decent stuff.
Odin

Post by Odin »

ChaoZ wrote:I believe I got to about Zoe's Tale before I grew tired of the series.
Lucky for you, that's the last book in the series. :wink:
Zaxxon wrote:there are 4 sequels, no? I'm on 'book 2 of 5'.
Nope. From his website, the books in the OMW series are:

Old Man’s War (2005)
The Ghost Brigades (2006)
The Last Colony (2007)
Zoe’s Tale (2008)

And note that, by and large, only "The Last Colony" would arguably count as a sequel, as it's the only one to focus on the same main character as OMW. And Zoe's Tale is more a sequel of The Last Colony than of OMW. But they're all tied together.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was going off Shelfari, which lists a short story called 'The Sagan Diary' as book 5. Whups.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Reemul wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah but that'sthe point with these types of book, there are thousands of literay geniuses out there to read but as an avid reader amongst the literature there needs to be some decent pap.
A valid point, I guess.

I found it disappointing. But then, I'm pretentious!
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Grundbegriff wrote:I found it disappointing. But then, I'm pretentious!
Sometimes, that makes it so hard to find a book you enjoy unequivocally.

I think my expectations for this one going in were not super-high, so I could like it for what it was. All the more reason to avoid the sequels though.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am I highly recommend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It's the same theme of future war where you can never truly go back.
$1.99 for ebook version today.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am I really liked it too. If you like Old Man's War I highly recommend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It's the same theme of future war where you can never truly go back.
I recently read this after buying it at a used book store. Very good book and in my opinion more original than Scalzi. It was written in the early 70's and you can tell that. Kind of reminded me of some Vonnegut I had read.

I did read Old Man's War first, and currently am about to read the the fourth book in the series.

I would also recommend Haldeman's Accidental Time Machine. Very simple, interesting story.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Similar to Old Man's War is an older book that's a personal favorite:
Armor by John Steakley
Enlarge Image
The planet is called Banshee. The air is unbreathable, the water is poisonous. It is home to the most implacable enemies that humanity, in all its interstellar expansion, has ever encountered.

Body armor has been devised for the commando forces that are to be dropped on Banshee—the culmination of ten thousand years of the armorers’ craft. A trooper in this armor is a one-man, atomic powered battle fortress. But he will have to fight a nearly endless horde of berserk, hard-shelled monsters—the fighting arm of a species which uses biological technology to design perfect, mindless war minions.
The story switches up at some points and feels disconnected, but eventually it all ties together and pays off.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Haldeman rarely fails to deliver.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I haven't read OMW. Or, for that matter, anything by the author (that I'm aware of).

I remember enjoying Haldeman's novel, though I remember nothing about the story itself. Isn't there a sequel of sorts now?

Steakley's novel is one of my favorites. I've read it multiple times. Much like Ender's Game, its a novel that, if I pick it up, flip to a page, and start reading... I'll be hooked until I finish it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just finished The Forever War (currently $2 on Amazon, for Kindle) and it was amazing. Scalzi did the forward in the copy I read and he said he had no idea about The Forever War when he wrote Old Man's War. I liked Scalzi's story, but The Forever War blows it away by a mile - really, quite...prescient. Would absolutely recommend to anyone.

EDIT: Corrected
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Old Man's War is a fun read. There's nothing fun about The Forever War.

I don't remember specifics about the war, only that you are left feeling how awful and pointless the war was. I'm sure that was his goal. I need to read some of his other books.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I meant to add that my go to for "pap", or what I'm understanding that to be, is probably MIke Resnick's stuff. I tend to classify it as science-fantasy/space opera. Like Star Wars. Action, fun, but very little depth or actual science.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:34 pm I just finished The Forever War (currently $2 on Amazon, for Kindle) and it was amazing. Scalzi did the forward in the copy I read and he said he had no idea about The Forever War when he wrote Old Man's War. I liked Scalzi's story, but Old Man's War blows it away by a mile - really, quite...prescient. Would absolutely recommend to anyone.
I can't tell from this post which book you liked better.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoops, my bad. The Forever War was (IMHO) so much better than Old Man's War (which I also enjoyed). They're on a totally different level, in terms of tone (as suggested by McNutt).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I did read all of those... a long time ago.

My personal thought on the Forever War... It's basically an EXTREME scifi-driven version of Vietnam War, where the civilian government had a TOTAL disconnect from the actual fighters, due to the relativistic effects. It's sorta the ultimate parable / satire of the real Vietnam war.

Steakley's "Armor"... it's a very different story. It's basically a tortured soul story presented as action and a lot of mystery.

Scalzi's "Old Man's War" is really about exploitation of a segment of population. Scalzi chose "old people", and in a way it's ingenious, but also in a way, it kinda doesn't make sense. But it's an interesting story nonetheless. Other authors chose different populations to exploit.

(Isaac Hooke's ATLAS series chose "immigrants" and William C Dietz chose "dead people")
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds