[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Blackhawk »

I do believe I see some Scale75 metallics in the background!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Would it be safe to say the Contrast paints have dramatically changed your ability to get miniatures to the table?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 am Would it be safe to say the Contrast paints have dramatically changed your ability to get miniatures to the table?
Absolutely.

And I've been taking my time with this minis as well. I've been taking like half hour breaks between colors to allow for drying time, watching TV, doing dishes, etc. So each figure I've presented here, total brush time is probably 1-1.5 hours a figure.

I am getting a little frustrated about the range of colors, though. Compared to the AP range, or the GW standard range, or [insert your favorite paint line here], you're pretty limited. Like for Chit's pants, I really wanted more of a wine color, but that red was the closest I could get.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't follow GW industry news, but I'm assuming if this initial round of contrast paints was/is successful, they'll likely expand to include more? I'm quite curious to see how it works on the Marvel Crisis miniatures mainly because quite a few of them look (to me) like they were sculpted with painting in mind - very defined areas where this contrast paint can be "walled in" and flow to where it needs to go and then stop. Or if you were just painting them, the detail is defined enough to make careful brushing easier.

My test with the contrast paints and a Core Space mini was highly, highly successful. I mentioned it a page back but I primed with stix (it was handy) and then used the colors you recommended. I'd be surprised if this was 5 minutes of total time and it looks great on the table.

Enlarge Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 am I don't follow GW industry news, but I'm assuming if this initial round of contrast paints was/is successful, they'll likely expand to include more? I'm quite curious to see how it works on the Marvel Crisis miniatures mainly because quite a few of them look (to me) like they were sculpted with painting in mind - very defined areas where this contrast paint can be "walled in" and flow to where it needs to go and then stop. Or if you were just painting them, the detail is defined enough to make careful brushing easier.

My test with the contrast paints and a Core Space mini was highly, highly successful. I mentioned it a page back but I primed with stix (it was handy) and then used the colors you recommended. I'd be surprised if this was 5 minutes of total time and it looks great on the table.

Enlarge Image
Yeah, I knocked off all of the purge in an evening. It was great.

The crew is a bit more fiddly. Also spending time to try and find the paint to match up with their illustrations. It's funny, looking through the pictures, for Captain Sondar, in the few minis pictures they have, his skin is like an olive color rather than the redish-purple in the illustration.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 pm What I've learned with Contrast Paints so far...
  • When using the paints from the pot, BE CAREFUL! Those pots tip over easily. I have tipped over two pots so far, and at $8 a pop, that hurts.
A solution?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think I'm going to break down and buy a decent set of contrast paints. I'm at the point in my painting where finishing minis and getting them to the table is far more important than painting perfection. If they'll help me knock out my backlog, I'm all for it and it will be well worth the investment.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Check on eBay. I just purchased a random lot of 12 for $60. Amazon prices aren't too bad. I have no local option but maybe yours is better.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 pm What I've learned with Contrast Paints so far...
  • When using the paints from the pot, BE CAREFUL! Those pots tip over easily. I have tipped over two pots so far, and at $8 a pop, that hurts.
A solution?
Yeah, there's a couple out there. I saw one on a youtube video that I really liked, but it was a prototype that apparently never went into production. Plus, printing from thingiverse is practically free. So once I get my templates finished, I'll print up a few different ones and see which one I like.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:56 pm I think I'm going to break down and buy a decent set of contrast paints. I'm at the point in my painting where finishing minis and getting them to the table is far more important than painting perfection. If they'll help me knock out my backlog, I'm all for it and it will be well worth the investment.
I have a full set (except for one color, I just discovered.) So if you have any questions about them, feel free.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

SmooveB wrote:Check on eBay. I just purchased a random lot of 12 for $60. Amazon prices aren't too bad. I have no local option but maybe yours is better.
Will do. My FLGS does carry them, but their color selection is limited and I haven't checked price. So looks like between them, Amazon, and eBay I've got some options.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I broke down and took the last of the 'fun' money I had sitting around from Christmas, and...
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:57 pm Check on eBay. I just purchased a random lot of 12 for $60. Amazon prices aren't too bad. I have no local option but maybe yours is better.
I'm pretty sure I bought the same set - 12 for $60.

A couple of years ago I went through all my old Ral Partha and Grenadier miniatures, all that pure 80s and early 90s lead, and I separated out the ones that weren't godawful. I ended up with 15-20 humanoid miniatures. All of them were off-scale due to the move from 25mm to 28mm in the 90s, and most of them just weren't up to modern quality standards. I cleaned them, washed them, based them, primed them, and set them aside to use as the generic bandits that pop up in every campaign. They don't justify the hours-long painting jobs I normally give things. I painted a few last year, trying to get into the hang of speed painting, and cheating using dips. The rest seem like the perfect place to experiment with contrast paints!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and I printed and laminated that set of test pieces that somebody posted here recently.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

When I saw that chart I'd meant to post these that I'd seen elsewhere. I think they're a little more detailed and show contrast on a typical white primer and metallic in addition to the "official" contrast primers...

Last edited by Daveman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:38 pm So, I broke down and took the last of the 'fun' money I had sitting around from Christmas, and...
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:57 pm Check on eBay. I just purchased a random lot of 12 for $60. Amazon prices aren't too bad. I have no local option but maybe yours is better.
I'm pretty sure I bought the same set - 12 for $60.

A couple of years ago I went through all my old Ral Partha and Grenadier miniatures, all that pure 80s and early 90s lead, and I separated out the ones that weren't godawful. I ended up with 15-20 humanoid miniatures. All of them were off-scale due to the move from 25mm to 28mm in the 90s, and most of them just weren't up to modern quality standards. I cleaned them, washed them, based them, primed them, and set them aside to use as the generic bandits that pop up in every campaign. They don't justify the hours-long painting jobs I normally give things. I painted a few last year, trying to get into the hang of speed painting, and cheating using dips. The rest seem like the perfect place to experiment with contrast paints!
When I started painting and when I want to experiment, I have a big bag of Army Men from the dollar store. I just prime them as needed and test different things out. It's a super cheap way of experimenting.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've done that in the past, and it isn't a terrible approach. In fact, I grabbed a bunch of old sculpted bases I made before I switched to using clear bases and made a few passes at those with the contrast paints before I pulled out the bandits.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

First experiment. An 80s lead barbarian. Decent sculpt, but he's about as tall as a modern dwarf. This is between five and ten minutes of work, all contrast paints over white primer (either Stynlrez or Army Painter, it's been a while - it felt more like Stynlrez, though):

That isn't too bad at all. It isn't a good paint job. But getting it to the same point with the 'good' tag would have taken me a couple of hours.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dude, that looks awesome.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah man, that looks really good to me. Has a comic-book aesthetic to it. Unless you don't like that or were trying for something else. Then I'm wrong. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't mean that it looks bad. I meant that some of the shadows and highlights are in the wrong places, the lines are a little sloppy, the shading doesn't have enough contrast. That sort of thing. Using full paint jobs as the benchmark, it isn't all that great. For a ten minute job, I'm very happy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What did you use for the metal coloring?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't. I just splashed the Wyldwood over the bosses while doing the leather. I wanted to see how other paints went over them. If I were going to try and recreate that color with metallics, I'd try Viking Gold or Old Copper by Scale75.

It's now a 25-30 minute paint job:

I'm pretty happy with it for the effort it took. I could do a dozen figures in a long afternoon, which is significant, as I used to get one or two done in that time. The quality still isn't the same, but unless it is a character or villain, most people wouldn't notice. Hmm...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tomorrow I think I will run one sepia wash over the bosses to tone them down, then call it done.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Finished up the last of the current crews needed for Core Space (Still have 2 more to eventually get done.)

Next up is the galactic corps, and I’m doing an experiment with zenethal highlighting and contrast paints on these guys. They’re mostly black and gray anyway, so prime candidates to try.
hentzau

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by hentzau »

Started with this...

45 Minutes Later...

So, it is way darker, and the highlights don’t pop nearly as much. Not 100% happy, and I’m not real happy with the metals on here...I think they’re too bright. And the visor I had to freehand because they didn’t have solid lines showing where it ended. And I used a scale 75 Alchemy color and it didn’t do what I was hoping. I may try and fix that.

So, it will work. But...not sure it’s better than if I would have just used white.
Last edited by hentzau on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I've read, zenithal works with contrast paints, but is generally only effective with darker colors.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Continuing painting Mansions of Madness investigators. I feel my output has generally been more consistent and I’m down to only 5 left (not counting the expansion I’ve not bought yet. I was super proud of Akachi Onyele - felt like I got skin tone pretty close and colors look good.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Core Space Galactic Corps Juggernaut. Contrast paints over zenethal. About 45 minutes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Since we're going to be kicking off some Pathfinder 2e in a month or two, I decided it was time to start working on some PF specific miniatures. Works in progress, and nine other PF goblins not started yet.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just accepted a commission to paint two miniatures. I've painted lots of miniatures as favors or gifts, but I've never painted one for pay. The biggest reason is that I'm neither a consistent painter, nor am I a fast painter. One in every few pieces I paint ends up with me hating the result. That's the lack of consistency. The slow painting problem is the bigger one. The prices pro painters charge are based on them knocking them out fast. If they charge $15 and knock one out every hour or two, that's pretty good income. If I charge that same amount and it takes me six hours, I'm working for $2.50 per hour.

This one I accepted at $20 each. They're Pathfinder Deep Cuts, which aren't high end miniatures that require a ton of detailing, don't require assembly, and she doesn't want fancy sculpted bases. It's worth a go.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:19 pm I just accepted a commission to paint two miniatures. I've painted lots of miniatures as favors or gifts, but I've never painted one for pay. The biggest reason is that I'm neither a consistent painter, nor am I a fast painter. One in every few pieces I paint ends up with me hating the result. That's the lack of consistency. The slow painting problem is the bigger one. The prices pro painters charge are based on them knocking them out fast. If they charge $15 and knock one out every hour or two, that's pretty good income. If I charge that same amount and it takes me six hours, I'm working for $2.50 per hour.

This one I accepted at $20 each. They're Pathfinder Deep Cuts, which aren't high end miniatures that require a ton of detailing, don't require assembly, and she doesn't want fancy sculpted bases. It's worth a go.
Just want to say good luck! Based on what you’ve posted I don’t think you will have a problem.. maybe just think of it as 2 of your models that you’re giving away instead of worrying about the money part.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Couple of things...most successful 3D printed mini yet. Cape was a little wonky and ragged, but I can work with it.

Now that I have the slicing and supports and position laid out, I’m going to replace my .4mm nozzle with a .2mm nozzle and try and reprint it. See if I can get it even better.

Also, I’m a sucker for a gadget. Picked up this minis holder from RGG. The top of it rotates, so you can spin the mini with your thumb. Useful? Remains to be seen.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or you could use a flower nail.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:27 pm Or you could use a flower nail.
I'm not sure that using an icing bag is the best way to paint minis... Although having the option to eat your mistakes sounds good.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm
I'm not sure that using an icing bag is the best way to paint minis... Although having the option to eat your mistakes sounds good.
:clap:

:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Punisher wrote:
It’s just a 3D printer that uses a 4mm nozzle...
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:56 pm
Punisher wrote:
I pretty sure it's not safe to eat the filament that comes out of a 3D printer although I'm sure someone has tried...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Punisher wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm
hentzau wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:56 pm
Punisher wrote:
I pretty sure it's not safe to eat the filament that comes out of a 3D printer although I'm sure someone has tried...
PLA is based on corn...of course, who knows what the dye is made of.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Spent a good chunk of the day knocking out some Cthulhu: Death May Die minis.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nice!