[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by YellowKing »

$iljanus wrote:And on an even more exciting note I finished one Purge group and a crew so I think I’ll finally play the intro scenario sometime in the future. The way things are set up I actually have more opportunities to paint a mini vs actually playing a game. The civilians aren’t painted just primed but at this point I’m not too concerned.
I'm in the same boat. I find I have a half hour here and there in the evenings to knock out a mini but not enough time to complete a session. I've pretty much decided to just focus on finishing up the minis first and then dedicating a chunk of time one weekend to playing. The clear bases are so arduous that I've taken to just doing two a night. I think the end result will be awesome but damn is it a pain.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hentzau wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:15 pm I wouldn't put the varnish on a wet pallet. I'm not sure why, but I would be afraid of what it would do with the extra liquid. Have an old blister pack or something? Just cut out some of the plastic and use that.
I’ve been using plastic palettes with the U-shaped well for the varnish. We have a bunch of them around the house so easy peasy!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:21 pm
$iljanus wrote:And on an even more exciting note I finished one Purge group and a crew so I think I’ll finally play the intro scenario sometime in the future. The way things are set up I actually have more opportunities to paint a mini vs actually playing a game. The civilians aren’t painted just primed but at this point I’m not too concerned.
I'm in the same boat. I find I have a half hour here and there in the evenings to knock out a mini but not enough time to complete a session. I've pretty much decided to just focus on finishing up the minis first and then dedicating a chunk of time one weekend to playing. The clear bases are so arduous that I've taken to just doing two a night. I think the end result will be awesome but damn is it a pain.
And due to the pain factor I’ll be cheering you on in your heroic endeavors while I work at not having my human minis look like some freaks from a carnival. :lol:

Murderous murder bots and aliens weren’t too bad to paint. Humanoids with their little pouches, man purses and doohickeys are a real pain in the ass. And why do they insist in wearing their jacket open with a t-shirt underneath that I now have to paint? Are they the frickin’ Sopranos in outta frickin’ space?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote:
I was able to knock all of mine off in one night. I just used a brand new knife blade and they came off like butter. The tricky part was figuring out the angle to hold the base against the cutting mat to make sure I wasn’t putting undue pressure on the ankle (and keeping my fingers out of the way.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I usually use a sprue cutter and snip on each edge of the foot first. It gives me a lot more room to work when it comes to cutting off that final bit.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'm definitely working with subpar tools. My knife isn't great, I don't have a proper cutting mat, and a sprue cutter would be really helpful. I may hold off on the rest until I can order some of the above. While the three I've done so far have turned out OK, I'm not doing myself any favors in the labor department.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This tip is only if you're confident with knives:

X-Acto knives are the standard, but there's an alternative that's almost as cheap, but is sharper more durable: surgical scalpels. A handle plus a pack of blades is not at all expensive on Amazon.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hey Blackhawk (or anyone else), what primer colors are you using for your Fallout figs? There aren’t tons of miniatures in the game so I think it would be a good project to tackle. I have the base game and New California expansion.
Black lives matter!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

$iljanus wrote:Hey Blackhawk (or anyone else), what primer colors are you using for your Fallout figs? There aren’t tons of miniatures in the game so I think it would be a good project to tackle. I have the base game and New California expansion.
I used Army Painter tan, but that was more because it's what I had handy than for any particular reason. However, I did want to say that painting those Fallout figures was the most fun I've had painting in quite some time. It's rare that I start and finish a full set without getting distracted, but that project just seemed to fly by.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 pm
$iljanus wrote:Hey Blackhawk (or anyone else), what primer colors are you using for your Fallout figs? There aren’t tons of miniatures in the game so I think it would be a good project to tackle. I have the base game and New California expansion.
I used Army Painter tan, but that was more because it's what I had handy than for any particular reason. However, I did want to say that painting those Fallout figures was the most fun I've had painting in quite some time. It's rare that I start and finish a full set without getting distracted, but that project just seemed to fly by.
It helps that I have a sense of what color palette to use with Fallout characters. And instead of finding that limiting it’s freeing since it gives me some direction and I think will make the process go a lot quicker.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the metallic pieces (Mr. Handy, two power armored figures) I used black. For the NC non-metallic characters I used white. I don't recall what I used for the base game non-metals, but it would have probably been gray or white.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you want to see my reference images for New California, let me know and I'll post 'em.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:30 pm If you want to see my reference images for New California, let me know and I'll post 'em.
Whenever you have time, I’d be happy to see them. Thanks!
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm going to spoiler these to avoid spamming everyone else. I've identified everything except for a fully dressed NCR ranger wearing the specific outfit on the miniature, but I do have pictures of the armor itself, and of a regular NCR soldier. They seem to have used a combination of New Vegas and Fallout 4 models. Caveat: With the New Vegas screenshots (just the merchant, base NCR soldier, and the regulator overcoat in-game shots, but none of the 'model' shots) I'm using improved textures in-game, but they maintain the colors and designs of the original and just increase the resolution. Fallout 4 (Mr Handy) is vanilla.

Mr. Handy and the power armor:
Spoiler:

Merchant, NCR Ranger, and Regulator (or whatever the character was called)
Spoiler:

Weapons
Spoiler:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will look around and see if I can dig up the references I had for the base game, but that was a couple of years ago so no promises.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Bojack Horseman (Van Geyser from Altar Quest)

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And here's my accomplishment for the evening. One of the NPCs from Core Space. Great fun as always to hang out, listen to some good nerd talk, and make headway on a project.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work while monitoring a change for work...

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Again more painting and no playing...

Here's a complete crew and Purge for Core Space:

Enlarge Image

And the eternal struggle of humans vs a murderous AI continues...

Enlarge Image

(murder spider seems to be going the other direction, probably to stop by the local bot bar for some lubricant and to chat up a hunter-killer drone)

Really enjoyed painting the Terminators since all I did was prime them with a chain mail color, gave them a dark wash and painted the pulse rifles of the T-800s black then drybrushed them with a lighter metallic color to give it some contrast. Gave a few of them red eyes but after starting to feel some eye strain on my end I put a stop to that. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with my murderous bots and I've painted enough humans to actually play a Terminator game...at midnight or some such time if I don't fall asleep due to my advancing age. :lol:
Black lives matter!

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Finally painted my first mini of the year. New D&D campaign, new minis.
Here is Arcanis's character, champion of Wee Jas.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Just got to the Demolitionist's 5th level unlock in Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion and the minute I saw it, I knew I wanted to paint it immediately. I've put it in spoiler tags for those who haven't got there yet. But it was SO much fun to paint, and I feel like I did some of my best work without having to you know, work at it.
Spoiler:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We're not using the Demolitionist in our JotL campaign, so I took a peek at that spoiler. Very cool! I think we're going to try to plow through more of the game over the holiday break (we're only on mission 5), so hopefully I'll get to open the mystery boxes for the other characters soon.

In my miniature painting news, I finished painting the hero minis from War of the Ring: the fellowship members + the Witch King, Saruman, and Mouth of Sauron. They weren't especially fun to paint, since they're pretty small figures (with the dwarf and hobbits proportionately smaller) and the quality is a mixed bag. But I think it will help playability, because otherwise many of the heroes are hard to distinguish on the tabletop.

No pictures, because when I finally finished I was pretty much ready for it to be over. But at least it's done!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm currently knee deep in the middle of painting Hellboy: The Board Game (retail). Fortunately aside from the characters, the enemies are all frogmen so it's been a pretty quick set to paint. Lots of green (though I did paint each frogman "faction" in a different shade for quick identiifcation). Hellboy himself was a ton of fun to paint.

I'll post some pics when done, but for right now I'm just taking my time. Work + holiday prep has been so time consuming I haven't had much boardgaming time, so I'm not in a rush. I've got a week off after Christmas that I can hopefully get it to the table.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work. The Rocketeer printed on my Anycubic Photon Mono SE. Painted by me. Image
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That looks great hentzau, I really like the color scheme.

Here's what I got done yesterday. Not all of them completely from scratch, but I did finish most of the basing/touch-up/varnishing on everything while we were chatting last night. Everything here except for the big guy are ready for the table, so I'm going to try to get my first scenario in today. (Game: Hellboy: The Board Game)

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That’s a lot of painting for a single day. Good job!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here are the Fallout: The Board Game (New California expansion) pieces I've been working on off and on over the past few weeks. One of the time sinks on this one is that almost everything was straight out of the games. Every piece of clothing, every weapon, every accessory is an in-game model. The merchant is wearing New Vegas leather armor and holding a Fallout 4 fusion core, for instance. That means that they involved a lot of research and then required extra painting to recreate the 'canon' look. The only exception was the NCR Ranger (tan with a sniper rifle.) She's wearing combat armor, but as far as I've been able to determine, the NCR Rangers never wore combat armor. They had their own custom armor. At the same time, all NCR gear followed the same color scheme, which Fallout combat armor never did. IE - that particular combination of gear and colors never existed, so that one I just painted the combat armor with the NCR color scheme. This is my first experiment with my new eye painting technique (ie - not painting eyes.) You can tell the difference in these blown up, zoomed in photos, but held in hand? you honestly can't tell the difference.

I've also been trying to improve my miniature photography. One big problem I've had in the past was photos looking entirely different from the actual miniature. The problem, it seems, was cheap lighting. I switched my LED bulbs for photography bulbs, and I'm much happier with the result.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Love these!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nice work. BH!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Really love the leather tones and detailing, BH. And quite inspiring for my own projects too. Thanks as always for sharing!
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks! The woman in the first one doesn't actually have a beard. When she doesn't have two 9-inch bulbs four inches from her, that just looks like a deep shadow.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:Thanks! The woman in the first one doesn't actually have a beard. When she doesn't have two 9-inch bulbs four inches from her, that just looks like a deep shadow.
Hey, in the post apocalypse who's to judge someone's personal grooming or identity choices?
Black lives matter!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

(Apologies in advance, as I’ll sure this has been asked before.)

Little B 11.9 got an amazing Christmas present from one of the other players in our D&D group. She received a set of starter paints, brushes, and miniatures that matches both her (halfling rogue) and my (dwarven cleric) characters.

She wants to start painting, but I’m not sure where to help her begin. Is there a particular “Mini Painting 101” video or guide that you’d recommend?

TIA
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Zarathud »

I recommend RealmSmith as he focuses on getting tabletop quality miniatures. Friendly Canadian banter and encouragement on getting done the pre-primed miniature lines.

There are many others on YouTube including Dr Faust’s Painting Clinic but it is often helpful just to search for someone painting the same miniature.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If you guys are attached to the characters, she may want to start with some other models to practice on, because all of our first figures are our worst figures.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zarathud wrote:I recommend RealmSmith as he focuses on getting tabletop quality miniatures. Friendly Canadian banter and encouragement on getting done the pre-primed miniature lines.

There are many others on YouTube including Dr Faust’s Painting Clinic but it is often helpful just to search for someone painting the same miniature.
And earlier in the thread but not too far back, Blackhawk posted a link to Dr Faust's videos.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And he has again!

This is a fantastic series that has become my point-to for new painters. He does a great job of tackling everything a few steps at a time in short, easily digested videos. Each builds on the earlier videos, so you can watch a few, paint, watch a few more, and paint better.

I'd also add a video on prep and maybe one on priming.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Awesome, thanks y’all. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If its a Nolzurs or Deep Cuts miniature, the priming is already done.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon