Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Defiant »

Ben Sasse:

"The House, if they come together and have a process, I will definitely consider whatever articles they might move, because as I told you, I believe the president has disregarded his oath of office," the Nebraska senator said.
https://www.newsweek.com/ben-sasse-firs ... ce-1560034
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Moving on, I'm also not seeing the lack of a deluge of immediate arrests as being indicative that these asshats are going to skate. The worst of them - which are the ones we should be focused on - are the ones with significant social media presence. I think we'll see the FBI going after these folks, but I think it takes some time and it takes resources, but this isn't the only thing on their plate right now (e.g., IT security breaches stemming from 1/6, preparing for a safe and secure inauguration, keeping an eye on a crazy POTUS, etc.).
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:10 pm The only good thing is that as the arrests increase and the FBI starts their investigations, I need to believe the people that are picked up are going to do anything and everything to communicate the people that were with them in an effort to not be charged with federal crimes.
I don't think so. The preponderance of these traitors think they are victims and patriots. Sure you'll have several FacebookFreedomFighters reduced to panicked tears but I think most are believers and too many want a civil war and may even think they will remembered by history beyond their Instagram account.
It's unfortunate that this needs to start from zero 2+ days later, but I'm confident the worst of the worst are going to be identified as investigators are able to piece together the web of connections.
I need to believe this in spite of my other thoughts. I know I couldn't sit on a jury as one of their peers. I am so angry at everything I could never be just or rational.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Both the FBI and state police departments have pages of stills from the videos asking for help identifying them. It'll take time, but I think there will be a lot more arrests coming.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:23 pm
I need to believe this in spite of my other thoughts. I know I couldn't sit on a jury as one of their peers. I am so angry at everything I could never be just or rational.
No worries. I'll take that jury seat for you. :)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So apparently one of the deaths was due to being trampled to death:
A Trump supporter was “trampled to death” as a mob stormed the Capitol according to her family who pleaded with her not join the protest.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/us-poli ... 59871.html
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bummer :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:05 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am
Lorini wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:21 am So the FBI is having a lot of difficulty tracking down the rioters because the police couldn't be bothered to arrest them for any number of crimes they obviously committed.
It's a mystery why the FBI is having such difficulty. There are countless photos and videos. There are also probably TBs of location data and breadcrumbs.

Also, FWIW, there were several arrests. But assuming it takes at least one cop to arrest one individual (being generous), how many arrests can we expect? Heard about a marketing firm CEO from the Chicago suburbs that was arrested in the Capitol and was suspended (or terminated?) yesterday.

The video shows people leaving the capitol, walking by police and nothing was done. Believe it or not, because this is a free country or was, the FBI doesn’t have a photo database of 350 million citizens. We can expect the police to arrest those who have clearly committed crimes. They are excellent at arresting those who haven’t, what’s the problem here?

Last seen, they’ve arrested 37 people for the actual break in. I saw way more than 37 people involved, but again video shows the cops ignoring them.

Alright folks, I’m out. Thanks for reading.
This is typical of large scale riots/unrest. See this summer. Not everyone gets arrested. In fact, most don't.

I'd agree that the police response in this case seemed woefully inadequate but they were also woefully unprepared.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Defiant wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:27 pm So apparently one of the deaths was due to being trampled to death:
A Trump supporter was “trampled to death” as a mob stormed the Capitol according to her family who pleaded with her not join the protest.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/us-poli ... 59871.html
That's not even like a "Panic" issue, like people being killed when a crowd surges to escape a burning building.

That's just disgusting levels of disregard for your fellow humans in order to take part in a felony.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Trump tweets that he won’t attend the inauguration. Not unexpected behavior from a spoiled child.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Countdown to Biden inauguration as President:

12 DAYS

Agolf "concedes" by saying there will be a transition to a new administration. Democrats vow to impeach.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:36 pm Trump tweets that he won’t attend the inauguration. Not unexpected behavior from a spoiled child.
To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.
And there was much rejoicing. Also is now the closest statement he's made to an actual real concession?
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

“This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike,” the speaker wrote. “The situation of this unhinged President could not be more dangerous, and we must do everything that we can to protect the American people from his unbalanced assault on our country and our democracy.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 84580.html
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Defiant wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 pm
“This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike,” the speaker wrote. “The situation of this unhinged President could not be more dangerous, and we must do everything that we can to protect the American people from his unbalanced assault on our country and our democracy.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 84580.html
Al Franken nailed it. Don't strip him of the codes, just give him wrong ones.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

If this is true, that’s some instant karma:

-something witty-
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:59 am
Grifman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:41 am
Lorini wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:21 am So the FBI is having a lot of difficulty tracking down the rioters because the police couldn't be bothered to arrest them for any number of crimes they obviously committed. I was very happy to hear Biden's concern about how the police reacted to people who were obviously breaking the law vs people who were obviously meeting the law. I could hope that all of the police involved in the insurrection are fired, but there's probably little point as the new ones would likely be as bad as the old ones. When can we find police who are committed to the rule of law and the Constitution?
Where are you reading this? I've seen dozens of them being identified on Twitter, the idiots are posting this stuff on their social media for heaven's sake. There's no reason for the FBI to have problems identifying many of them. And you bring in one, threaten them to get them to cooperate and name others, this isn't hard stuff.
The NYT has reported that because many of the mob were not arrested even though they had obviously broken the law, the FBI has had trouble identifying them. You do realize that not all of them and in fact probably not even most of them are boasting about this on social media? Some of them may actually care about their freedom? Threatening people to get them to cooperate assumes that all of them knew the names of the rest of them there, which is very unlikely.
Obviously, they will never get everyone, and I don't think it it reasonable to expect that they will.. But they can certainly make prosecute and make examples of every idiot/fool that can be identified, especially the ones stupid enough to post on social media or even do interviews with TV stations.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also the priority should be individuals who were ring leaders, individuals who seem to have made organized plans to target congressional leadership (esp. people with the zip ties and whatnot), and anyone who destroyed property or especially took anything sensitive.

Random members of the rabble (the selfie types) have earned prosecutions too, but I don't care as much if they go free.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its no mystery to me why the FBI is having trouble identifying the suspects. All white folk in maga hats look the same.

But seriously. The reason these folks were able to gain entry, is because of the systemic racism in our country. And that is why we had to march all summer, and we had so many marches in the past, and why we must continue to march.

When a group of white people want to protest, it is their right and duty as Americans. After all, America was created by protest and rebellion.
But when a group of any other color protests, they are troublemakers and criminals, and must be stopped.

I am sick and tired of it.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords..

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

In these dark times, we've got to take humor where we can find it, and I find this to be incredibly funny:

A QAnon promoter stormed the Capitol. Now, he's upset people are saying he's 'antifa'.

The MAGA and Q crowd have been pointing to the AC: Valhalla-looking Norseman as proof that the insurrection on 1/6 was really an ANTIFA operation. But the dude is a famous Q guy. Their "Shaman," in fact! And he's pissed that Lin Wood and company are calling him out as a pedo-tattooed, ANTIFA/BLM activist.
Angeli has sported his distinctive look in Arizona since at least 2019, when he hit the media's radar for appearing at pro-Trump and QAnon rallies. From the Arizona Republic: "Angeli, in a 2020 interview with The Arizona Republic, said that he wears the fur bonnet, paints his face and walks around shirtless with ragged pants as a way to attract attention. Then, he said, he is able to speak to people about his beliefs about QAnon and other truths he says remain hidden."

Despite his well-documented history as a Trump supporter, on Wednesday night the right-wing media ecosystem turned on him. Lin Wood, the lawyer behind several failed suits to overrun the presidential election, tweeted a photo of Angeli and others who broke into the Capitol with the caption, "Indisputable photographic evidence that antifa violently broke into Congress today." The tweet is no longer available as Wood's Twitter account was banned.

The talking point was also picked up by Pastor Mark Burns, another big name on the pro-Trump social media circuit. "This is NOT a Trump supporter...This is a staged #Antifa attack," he tweeted with a photo of Angeli posing on the Senate dais.

Angeli himself responded to the Wood tweet, trying to clarify that he is, in fact, pro-Trump.

"Mr. Wood. I am not antifa or blm," he wrote. "I'm a Qanon & digital soldier. My name is Jake & I marched with the police & fought against BLM & ANTIFA in PHX. Look up OAN's coverage of July 4ths rally in PHX capital. I was standing against the BLM mob out numbered but unphased. Look it up..."

You couldn't make up this stuff if you tried.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Enough wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:06 pm I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords..

Frustrating for so much potential progress to now tip solely on weasels like Manchin.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymon wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 pmWhen a group of white people want to protest, it is their right and duty as Americans. After all, America was created by protest and rebellion.
But when a group of any other color protests, they are troublemakers and criminals, and must be stopped.
One wonders if, had there been even one person of color present, that person would have been one of the four fatalities on the protester's side.

I haven't studied the pictures in intense detail, but I honestly don't recall seeing anyone who wasn't white. (Footnote, I had to correct a Freudian typo there and had "shite" instead of "white")
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A 'digital soldier'?' What, he plays Fortnite?

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Weren't there a handful of Rs who supported the $2K payment? If so, they may not need Manchin (assuming, of course, that Mitch doesn't rein them in).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Re: Manchin post above: this is not the last time we will see this. Because of the stark partisanship and the way our system works, this guy is now (or will be once the newbies are seated) one of the most powerful dudes in the Senate. I don't know much about him, I guess I better start reading because I get the feeling he is going to be prominently in the news for the next two years.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unsurprisingly, some insurrectionists are now turning on Agolf who incited them to riot one day and threw them under the bus the next.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm Weren't there a handful of Rs who supported the $2K payment? If so, they may not need Manchin (assuming, of course, that Mitch doesn't rein them in).
Oh definitely, that's the hope. I just really thought this shows the new dynamics. In some ways, having moderates in such power at this time in our history might not be all bad...

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymon wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 pm Its no mystery to me why the FBI is having trouble identifying the suspects.
Also, have we forgotten the head of the FBI was appointed by Trump? Arguably one of Trump's biggest accomplishments was weeding out the Deep State (TM) career government workers, and replacing them (often, when needed), by Trump loyalists. Not saying Wray is necessarily a Trump loyalist, but I would bet a lot of money that more than a couple of people at the top of the FBI, but under Wray, are.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:17 pm This is not the last time we will see this. Because of the stark partisanship and the way our system works, this guy is now (or will be once the newbies are seated) one of the most powerful dudes in the Senate. I don't know much about him, I guess I better start reading because I get the feeling he is going to be prominently in the news for the next two years.
He's in an interesting position - he's kind of the John Roberts of the Senate (except ideologically reversed). He's a Democrat, but a conservative Democrat from a Republican state. He's up for reelection in 2024, and if he votes party line D until then my guess is he loses to a R then. He won with less than 50% of the vote in 2018, so his margin is already pretty thin.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 pm
On NYT The Daily podcast this morning they had audio of them screaming for Pence's head inside the Capitol and a good cohort actively looking for him. We were within minutes of something much more serious happening. There were two main groups: yocal locals that came to stop the steal but were largely naive and most had probably only been to a Trump rally and never had joined in more hardcore militia style protests. And of course the other group are the Y'all-Qaeda types that are geared-up and trained-up ready for paramilitary action. The later group was armed and ready.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:17 pm This is not the last time we will see this. Because of the stark partisanship and the way our system works, this guy is now (or will be once the newbies are seated) one of the most powerful dudes in the Senate. I don't know much about him, I guess I better start reading because I get the feeling he is going to be prominently in the news for the next two years.
He's in an interesting position - he's kind of the John Roberts of the Senate (except ideologically reversed). He's a Democrat, but a conservative Democrat from a Republican state. He's up for reelection in 2024, and if he votes party line D until then my guess is he loses to a R then. He won with less than 50% of the vote in 2018, so his margin is already pretty thin.
Oh great, just what we need right now.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Representative Jackie Speier (D) CA, who was in on a conference call of Democrats, makes a good point on CNN:
Impeachment is essential to establish that inciting an insurrection is absolutely an impeachable offense and cannot be ignored. She would not divulge discussions about nuclear codes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 pm
Yeah, with the problem being that he is unfortunately required to run in West Virginia. I don't know if anyone has met the West Virginia electorate, but we should thank God every day that we managed to get Joe Manchin out of them.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm Weren't there a handful of Rs who supported the $2K payment?
Were they Perdue and Loeffler, in a last minute bid to win some votes?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm Weren't there a handful of Rs who supported the $2K payment? If so, they may not need Manchin (assuming, of course, that Mitch doesn't rein them in).
There were, before the GA runoffs. Whether they feel the same way now remains to be seen.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The man photographed sitting at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s desk has been arrested and charged with three federal counts including theft of public property, federal officials said Friday.

Federal officials said Richard Barnett of Arkansas was taken into custody Friday morning in Little Rock.
A good start.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He also has an outstanding PPP loan.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:17 pm Re: Manchin post above: this is not the last time we will see this. Because of the stark partisanship and the way our system works, this guy is now (or will be once the newbies are seated) one of the most powerful dudes in the Senate. I don't know much about him, I guess I better start reading because I get the feeling he is going to be prominently in the news for the next two years.
Another thing it does is amplify the power of small states and rural areas.