LOTR TV series @ Amazon

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: LOTR TV series @ Amazon

Post by hepcat »

After the first season we’re all just going to ask why they didn’t use the giant eagles to get where they needed to go, aren’t we?
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:The big drama of Numenor is that Sauron seduces its rulers to the Dark Side of the Force, even leading them to attempt an invasion of the far Western Undying Lands across the sea. The island is eventually sunk beneath the waves with some Numenoreans escaping and making it to mainland Middle-earth.

Sauron at this time is a seductive and beautiful superhero rather than a giant eye and shadow, so he could easily be a main character with dialogue and everything.

Fun fact: in early versions of his writing, JRRT imagined the Numenoreans as having almost 19th-century levels of technology, complete with steam-powered battleships. This dropped away in published versions.
It would be cool if they had steampunk tech and used airships.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Man, how cool would it be if the elves all drove Camaros?
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm Man, how cool would it be if the elves all drove Camaros?
And the Riders of Rohan found the secret of Harleys!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooooh damn, son. You’re laying’ down some solid ideas. And what if Gandalf showed up in a van....with Gandalf painted on its side!?

Next up: why the dwarves should all be leather daddies.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And more Warhammer battles!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm Man, how cool would it be if the elves all drove Camaros?
Yeah! And we could have the orcs stand in for minorities/poor people and have Will Smith be the chosen one!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:58 pm Ooooh damn, son. You’re laying’ down some solid ideas. And what if Gandalf showed up in a van....with Gandalf painted on its side!?

Next up: why the dwarves should all be leather daddies.
And the Hobbits are actually criminals running pipe weed across Middle Earth. Elves are particularly vulnerable to being addicted to the stuff. The Hobbits can be the "Sons of Middle Earth" but way smarter than that other gang on FX...
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:59 am
Yeah! And we could have the orcs stand in for minorities/poor people and have Will Smith be the chosen one!
Well, that went places I didn't expect. :shock:
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:59 am
Well, that went places I didn't expect. :shock:
I think he was referring to the Netflix series, Bright with Will Smith which was a ripoff of Alien Nation. But I liked it.
Black lives matter!

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I actually liked Bright a lot, but it employed some questionable stereotypes and tired tropes. Apparently they're still planning to shoot a sequel, but it's been delayed due to Smith's schedule.
Last edited by Sudy on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it. I was a little surprised there until you put it in context. :wink:

Not a big fan of Bright. Interesting concept dumbed down for Hollywood...or at least that's how it felt to me.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Ah, got it. I was a little surprised there until you put it in context. :wink:

Not a big fan of Bright. Interesting concept dumbed down for Hollywood...or at least that's how it felt to me.
It certainly isn't as good as our vision for LOTR but it was watchable.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let's be honest: If Tolkien had known about muscle cars and cool ass vans back in his day, those things would have been all over Middle Earth.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm Let's be honest: If Tolkien had known about muscle cars and cool ass vans back in his day, those things would have been all over Middle Earth.
Under. They would have been build by Dwarves ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nope. Saruman. "He has a mind of metal and wheels; and he does not care for growing things..." Isengard always felt like a metaphor for industrial excess (although Tolkien denied that there were any intentional metaphors in LotR, save perhaps for the Hobbits themselves.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Refresh my memory, the hobbits were a metaphor for people who ate too much and were short, right?
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Actually, the hobbits were modeled after "powder monkeys"... the boy seamen who transported gunpowder from a ship's hold to its artillery pieces. During the war, Tolkien lost many of his nephews and younger friends to this occupation and it was his way of memorializing them.

And Saruman was based on Colonel Sanders.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am Refresh my memory, the hobbits were a metaphor for people who ate too much and were short, right?
He wrote them to represent the British 'common man.'
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So yes.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am Refresh my memory, the hobbits were a metaphor for people who ate too much and were short, right?
He wrote them to represent the British 'common man.'
I thought they were an ironic metaphor to explain Andre the Giant.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trouble in Tolkienworld.

Until last year, the eminent Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey was on board in the position of senior scholar. He was announced as the guiding light who would keep the details accurate and the show true to Tolkien's vision. He left the show on unfriendly terms in April 2020.

Now it looks like there have been further cast shake-ups (despite the fact that the first episodes have already been filmed). The overall pattern suggests "creative disarray."
While having a few cast members drop out is not an intrinsic sign of trouble, it represents a trend mirrored behind the scenes. Notably, the once-promising consultancy of former Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman abruptly ended before the pilot was completed, according to TheOneRing. Along with an array of producer exits, the production also declined the services of artist John Howe, a longtime illustrator and map-maker for J.R.R. Tolkien literature, who—along with fellow legend Alan Lee—set the mythology’s live-action aesthetic template as one of the lead artists on director Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings film trilogy. Additionally, prominent Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey, who was serving as a consultant on the series, “unamicably” exited.

All of these exits are being attributed to creative differences, a fairly common reason writers or directors leave. However, the apparent rejection of Amazon’s approach by authoritative voices in the Tolkien world makes this appear ominous, especially regarding the ambitious scope of the series and its adherence to the overwhelmingly intricate lore—specifically set in Middle Earth’s Second Age, which is over 3,000 years before the author’s main novels.
I'd rather this project evaporate than be done badly. Amazon has already sunk hundreds of millions into it, though, so we're at risk of getting badly.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Eek, that doesn't sound good. I know those names (Howe, Shippey) and have books and/or art by each of them, and TheOneRing.net has been a reliable source on Tolkien happenings for 20+ years now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the price of Amazon Prime is going to go up:
Amazon Studios' The Lord of the Rings television show is going to cost all the gold in the Lonely Mountain.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Amazon will spend roughly NZ$650 million — $465 million in U.S. dollars — for just the first season of the show.

By comparison, HBO's Game of Thrones cost roughly $100 million to produce per season, with its per-episode cost starting at around $6 million for season one and eventually rising to around $15 million per episode in season eight.

The eye-popping Lord of the Rings price tag almost certainly doesn’t reflect season one’s production cost alone. The rights to the Tolkien property cost an estimated $250 million. Plus there are considerable startup costs when bringing Middle Earth to life — such as sets, costumes and props — that will be used throughout the series.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, I want to see it, but even I think that’s way too much money.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats screams fail.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would take just 10 mil and give them an amazing adhesive centric antihero.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fly Paper Paul?
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Costs a lot of money to give the elf ears just the right amount of pointyness.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, this isn't Amazon news, but still:

Holman

Post by Holman »

WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM is said to be "set in the same universe as the Peter Jackson films," which I assume refers more to visual style than to the fact that they're both in Tolkien's Middle-earth.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:40 pm WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM is said to be "set in the same universe as the Peter Jackson films," which I assume refers more to visual style.
I always knew Elijah Wood was an anime character. Those eyes are huge!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:40 pm WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM is said to be "set in the same universe as the Peter Jackson films," which I assume refers more to visual style than to the fact that they're both in Tolkien's Middle-earth.
I hate to say it, but I think you are giving em too much credit... They are trying to be sure it's clear, to the Jackson fans... alas (IMO).
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe some good news about this project?

tl;dr: The report here says that the Tolkien estate is happy with the way things are going, as are Tolkien scholars who have been brought on board (presumably to replace Tom Shippey?) as advisers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont get the sexless nudity point. So? Big deal I say. More dwarves in fountains then Im to assume?

Why is your brother bathing in the fountain?
Thats me sister laddy.
But...the beard.
Yes its a fine one aint it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:16 pm I dont get the sexless nudity point. So? Big deal I say. More dwarves in fountains then Im to assume?

Why is your brother bathing in the fountain?
Thats me sister laddy.
But...the beard.
Yes its a fine one aint it.
There was a big controversy over a leak that this LOTR casting including a nudity clause for some actors and extras. Everyone assumed that this meant they were going GAME OF THRONES.

If the recent reporting is correct, the nudity occurs not in sex scenes but in crisis moments such as when Sauron (or Morgoth?) transforms some elves into the first orcs.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming in September, titled The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, I was hoping they were going with the original title, Lord of the Rings: Ass, Gas or Grass
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well,that was boring.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

We have announcement videos for titles now?

I need to go create a reaction video of my jaw hanging open.