Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Post by hepcat »

The first 30 minutes or so were pretty good. They set us up with an interesting group and a pretty damn good Amanda Waller. But then they just sink it all with crappy action scenes, too much CGI and too little character depth, and an ending that would make Michael Bay proud.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Watched this on the flight home today. I now have a new low bar for superhero movies.

Outside of Robbie (who may be the most beautiful woman on the planet), that movie was just awful.
You have got to watch Green Lantern. Oh, and any of the Schumacher Batman films. They make Suicide Squad look like friggin' Citizen Kane in comparison.
Ice to meet you.
If you watch Batman and Robin with a view towards an Adam West pastiche, it's not as horrible. If you watch it as an extension of the Keaton films, yeah, it's a train wreck.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess I wasn't expecting anything. Maybe it was the reviews but the movie was what it was. An action movie with comic book villains as kinda heroes. I didn't get the relationship between Deadshot and Harley and that was a brief distraction but aside from that it was what it was. A throwaway story to watch at the tail end of evening at home for a couple of bucks. If I expected the film to advance genre or give me two hours of breakout Harley Origin story, Ida been disappointed but I had no such expectation. I never felt like "Why am I spending my time watching this again? Is my chore of my time really worth less than the $1.50 I spent renting this movie?" That's really become my gauge and when I'm smart, I just turn the movie off and do something else... Precisely like I wasn't with Passengers. ;)

I am mildly surprised more of the movie wasn't given to the Colonel. They seemed to want to make the movie about Will Smith and not about what it was, which would be how a team of criminals got caught in a three way relationship gone bad with Ghostbusters like consequences. If I had made the movie, he would have been the central focus rather than an outside plot device to keep Harley and Deadshot moving until they discover other motivators. Still, it was what it was.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:You have got to watch Green Lantern. Oh, and any of the Schumacher Batman films. They make Suicide Squad look like friggin' Citizen Kane in comparison.
Ice to meet you.
I've learned to almost like the Schumacher films. Once I stopped looking at them as the sequels to the Burton films and started to look at them as spiritual successors to Batman '66, they took on a different light.

Except for Jim Carrey's Riddler. Nothing makes that any better.

/edit - scooped by Isgrimnur. That's what I get for replying before catching up on the thread.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:dance:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote:
hepcat wrote:You have got to watch Green Lantern. Oh, and any of the Schumacher Batman films. They make Suicide Squad look like friggin' Citizen Kane in comparison.
Ice to meet you.
I've learned to almost like the Schumacher films. Once I stopped looking at them as the sequels to the Burton films and started to look at them as spiritual successors to Batman '66, they took on a different light.

/edit - scooped by Isgrimnur. That's what I get for replying before catching up on the thread.
Don't forget that Batman Forever received THREE technical Oscar nominations!
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote:
Ice to meet you.

Schumacher's have always fallen in the "so bad they're good" category for me. Suicide Squad was just...bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote:
Outside of Robbie (who may be the most beautiful woman on the planet),.
Side note - if you haven't already, you should watch this SNL sketch.
Black Lives Matter.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

El Guapo wrote:Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.
:wub: The Batman movie was on TV the other week and watched a few minutes of the movie. Fun stuff!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
:lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Ice to meet you.

Don't forget that Batman Forever received THREE technical Oscar nominations!
He wouldn't come down off the building ledge for 2.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I finally watched this and it was just as bad as I had feared. I have a question though. In the movie the government needed a team of metas or super villains or whatever they were calling them to combat mega powerful threats. So two that they recruit are Boomerang and Harley Quinn. Boomerang was shown to be a bank robber who threw boomerangs. Harley Quinn is a 105lb girl who somehow knows how to fight (because she's crazy I guess???).

I know zero about these characters other than what I saw in the movie. What in the world makes them more special than a good soldier with a gun? Their inclusion in this team was really weird.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're right. In fact, the short answer to your question is 'comic book.' Boomerang has been a member since the comic first kicked off, and he's bit more dangerous than the film showed. The past couple of runs have had it become almost a Harley Quinn book. Of course, from the comic perspective (not to mention the movie), Katana is way, way out of place. She was never in the comics (until the movie), and just doesn't fit in with the team in the film itself. Vixen would have been a much better choice, with her being the opposite of the villains - a hero who loses control.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Skinypupy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
OMG that was hilarious!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

DD* wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
OMG that was hilarious!
I LOL'd.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cinematic universe? What cinematic universe?
It’s no secret that Warner Bros. and DC Films have had trouble finding their way as far as the DC Extended Universe is concerned, but there seems to be agreement that they may finally be hitting upon a solid road ahead. This summer’s Wonder Woman, the fourth film under the DCEU banner after Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad, was the studio’s first unqualified success both commercially and critically (it’s about to become the highest grossing superhero origin story ever), and the touchstones of that movie are paving the way forward in more ways than one.

Fans and critics alike noted Wonder Woman’s emphasis on warmth, humanity, and humor over grit and depression, and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns has already noted those are touchstones for future DCEU films. But in a new lengthy profile in Vulture, it’s revealed that the DC Films folks are taking another lesson from Wonder Woman: pull back on the whole “cinematic universe” thing. DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson, who along with Johns has helped forge this path forward, broke the news:
They’re not giving up on the idea of continuity, but they want to deemphasize the idea that all of these flicks are occupying the same space. “Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn’t make sense, but there’s no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity in that universe,” says Nelson, drawing nods from the top brass around her.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Maybe that's the next evolution in comic book movies. You could have Superman movies with one actor playing Superman in stand alone Superman movies. You could have another actor play Superman when he occasionally appears in a Wonder Woman movie. You could have villains in Suicide Squad movies who do not appear in Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman movies, or if they do another actor plays them. I wouldn't care, as long as the movie is good.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

But you have to have a brief origin story in each one of them. So, by the 4th Wonder Woman movie, the camera zooms into a beautiful cloud-enshrouded island, only to watch Diana get flung by a catapult over the horizon.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I've read of it, there and elsewhere, it doesn't mean they're all standalone and unconnected. Their main line of movies will still be connected, but it will be closer to the way Marvel does it. Iron Man and Thor stood entirely on their own. Other than a Nick Fury cameo, they weren't there just to set up Avengers or Captain America.

Batman v Superman, on the other hand, served mostly to set up Justice League. My impression was that the previous plan was for all of the films to share the same overarching plot that way. That's what they're abandoning. I'd expect the single-character films to be less about the DCEU storyline in the future, which is a good thing.

In addition, they will have some standalone films that aren't connected to the main universe, a little like the way Star Wars is doing it, but without them being canon to their main series. Comics do this all the time. They'll put out a short run, maybe four-issues exploring some aspect of a certain character or villain that isn't tied into their main series and isn't canon for it. For instance.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this was on in the background (with subtitles) at an outside eatery yesterday. it... did not look good. like straight-to-video quality.
McNutt wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:48 pm I finally watched this and it was just as bad as I had feared. I have a question though. In the movie the government needed a team of metas or super villains or whatever they were calling them to combat mega powerful threats. So two that they recruit are Boomerang and Harley Quinn. Boomerang was shown to be a bank robber who threw boomerangs. Harley Quinn is a 105lb girl who somehow knows how to fight (because she's crazy I guess???).

I know zero about these characters other than what I saw in the movie. What in the world makes them more special than a good soldier with a gun? Their inclusion in this team was really weird.
aside from the fact that Harley Quinn didn't exist in the 80s (when i was reading this comic), this was _the_ problem with trying to translate this comic to this kind of movie with this kind of plot. comic book movies tend to have problems with keeping the stakes a bit lower... MUST SAVE THE WORLD/UNIVERSE EVERY TIME. needless to say, it shouldn't've been done.

are there any actual good DC Universe films? i admit i haven't seen many of the new crop... maybe only Wonder Woman, actually.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:30 pm are there any actual good DC Universe films? i admit i haven't seen many of the new crop... maybe only Wonder Woman, actually.
Blackhawk may argue the point (though more likely to cite the animated stuff), but you've already seen the good one. We'll let you know when there's another.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a shame they don't just let the creative teams behind the animated movie division run the live action one. They routinely make great movies.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

WW was the best. Aquaman was good summer popcorn fun (although it had flaws as a film.) I actually really liked Shazam as a superhero comedy. As far as upcoming films, we really haven't seen much.

I'm very hesitant about the new Batman film. We haven't seen much of it yet other than the trailer, but my impression is that they're going for the super-grounded style of the Dark Knight films, which was my least favorite element of them. It looks like it'll be the kind of film that 'serious' critics love, but could be lacking in a lot of the flavor that the Batman comics have. That's kind of vague to describe. The Tim Burton films had a little too much of it, the Nolan films had too little of it. To be honest, only the MCU has really done a good job of hitting the sweet spot between 'comic book' and 'reality' that keeps the flavor of the source material while making it believable and not overly silly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RT
THE SUICIDE SQUAD Release Date: August 6, 2021
THE BATMAN Release Date: March 4, 2022
FLASH Release Date: November 4, 2022
AQUAMAN 2 Release Date: December 16, 2022
SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GODS Release Date: June 2, 2023
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oops, forgot about Gunn's Suicide Squad. That one's easy. It's either the next Guardians of the Galaxy or an absurd, horrible flop.

I mean, Polka Dot Man, Weasel, and Arm Fall Off Boy. It's going to be great, or it's going to be awful.

/edit - and the first shots from the set of Black Adam showed up a couple of days ago, so it's in active production. I still want Nightwing and Lobo, dammit.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess I should finally check out Aquaman at some point. It looks like it is on HBOMax, yay free!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:40 pm Oops, forgot about Gunn's Suicide Squad. That one's easy. It's either the next Guardians of the Galaxy or an absurd, horrible flop.

I mean, Polka Dot Man, Weasel, and Arm Fall Off Boy. It's going to be great, or it's going to be awful.
If that's the squad, they have to be able to finally squeeze in Paste Pot Pete, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everyone point and laugh at the guy that doesn't know Marvel from DC!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:41 pm Everyone point and laugh at the guy that doesn't know Marvel from DC!
Look, they can just gin up some DC equivalent like they do all the time. "Portable Paste Pat". Boom - done.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Glue Bowl Dave won't make hepcat happy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:50 pm Glue Bowl Dave won't make hepcat happy.
Well, sure, because that doesn't have the alliteration. But for something that does...after years of trying to get Hollywood to see the brilliance of a live action Paste Pot Pete, I think he'll be fine with getting Portable Paste Pat on the big screen.

Presumably the Marvel team will see how foolish they've been and greenlight a solo Paste Pot Pete film as a result, as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:41 pm Everyone point and laugh at the guy that doesn't know Marvel from DC!
Look, they can just gin up some DC equivalent like they do all the time. "Portable Paste Pat". Boom - done.
Marvel's just jealous they didn't think of Condiment King first.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I haven't watched Birds of Prey yet (the Harley Quinn movie), but it was supposed to be good. I haven't seen Joker either, but some folks love it (and others hate it). Do those count as superhero movies?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:49 pm
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-dc-rip-offs/

this is far from all of them, however.

unrelated, but "Captain Marvel" (DC) vs "Captain Marvel" (Marvel) is still funny
disarm

Post by disarm »

ImLawBoy wrote:I haven't seen Joker either, but some folks love it (and others hate it). Do those count as superhero movies?
Joker is good, but it's not really a superhero movie... more of a study on how a damaged man becomes a sociopathic criminal. I think it's definitely worth seeing, but it's a tough movie to watch because it's so relentlessly negative. I honestly can't remember one good thing that happens to the main character in the two hours leading up to him becoming the Joker.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:50 pm Glue Bowl Dave won't make hepcat happy.
I feel like you people are making fun of my valid belief that a guy who can efficiently and quickly glue things together would make for a compelling character study.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I think it's the lack of a common first letter that would throw hepcat off.
Like if it was Glue Guy Gabe or Glue Goblin Gus I think he'd go for it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe a play on PPP's other alias Trapster ... the Gotcha Guy.