Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

AWS260

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by AWS260 »

Why is AWS's title "Spaceman" while everyone else at her rank is "Private"?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm Why is AWS's title "Spaceman" while everyone else at her rank is "Private"?
I think it's a quirk of being a LAM pilot, for some reason they use space ranks instead of mechwarrior ranks.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As a noob...

I found this reference: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/index.php?title=Crusader

The important bits, I assume are:
Heat Sinks - 10
Speed - 64.8 km/h
Armament
  • 2x LRM-15s
    2x SRM-6s
    2x Medium Lasers
    2x Machine Guns
However, it looks like our versions are modified. Can someone translate for me?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'd like as many Clan lasers as possible on my Grasshopper... :mrgreen:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I would like an entire clan mech to (potentially) lead my Recon group. So there!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Leraje wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:45 pm
AWS260 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm
NickAragua wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:33 am "mech nutz"
This :D
Spoiler:
Mackie C

Mass: 100 tons
Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 300 XL
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor: Standard
Armament:
2 ER PPC
1 Gauss Rifle
1 Laser AMS
5 Medium Pulse Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3050
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-F-E
Cost: 26,296,000 C-bills

Type: Mackie
Technology Base: Mixed (Advanced)
Tonnage: 100
Battle Value: 3,852

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 10
Engine 300 XL 9.5
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3
Double Heat Sink 20 [40] 10
Gyro 3
Cockpit 3
Armor Factor 307 19.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 50
Center Torso (rear) 12
R/L Torso 21 32
R/L Torso (rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 34
R/L Leg 21 42

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Heat Tonnage
Double Heat Sink LL 2 - 1.0
Jump Jet CT 1 - 2.0
Triple Strength Myomer CT/RT/RA/LA 1/1/2/2 - 0.0
Jump Jet RT 1 - 2.0
Triple Strength Myomer CT/RT/RA/LA 1/1/2/2 - 0.0
Laser AMS RT 1 5 1.0
Gauss Rifle Ammo (24) RT 3 - 3.0
2 Double Heat Sink RT 4 - 2.0
2 Triple Strength Myomer CT/RT/RA/LA 1/1/2/2 - 0.0
Double Heat Sink LA 2 - 1.0
2 ER PPC LA 4 15 12.0
Jump Jet LT 1 - 2.0
5 Medium Pulse Laser LT 5 4 10.0
2 Double Heat Sink LT 4 - 2.0
Double Heat Sink RL 2 - 1.0
ECM Suite HD 1 - 1.0
2 Triple Strength Myomer CT/RT/RA/LA 1/1/2/2 - 0.0
Gauss Rifle RA 6 1 12.0
Double Heat Sink RA 2 - 1.0

Features the following design quirks: Easy to Maintain, Protected Actuators, Rugged (1 Point), Oversized
I don't think my Mackie looks like that. But I'll take those upgrades please... :D
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I'll reincarnate and join again -- Thunderbolts seem to be good luck for me so I'll be happy to jump into one again (if there happens to be a TDR-7M that would be nice).

Future chassis wish list:
Falconer, Rakshasa, War Dog, Thor, Vulture, Mad Cat
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:39 pm As a noob...

I found this reference: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/index.php?title=Crusader

The important bits, I assume are:
Heat Sinks - 10
Speed - 64.8 km/h
Armament
  • 2x LRM-15s
    2x SRM-6s
    2x Medium Lasers
    2x Machine Guns
However, it looks like our versions are modified. Can someone translate for me?
You're driving a modified 3L variant - so the SRM/6s are downgraded to SRM/4s, the LRM/15s downgraded to LRM/10s, and the machine gun ammo is dropped to half a ton. In exchange it gets 4 jump jets, 2 extra heat sinks and a little extra armor. So basically it's more mobile and has less heat issues but a good bit less firepower.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:39 am
NickAragua wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:33 am
Pick three
[X] El Guapo
[X] Leraje
[] Freyland
[X] Siljanus
[] Wolf
[] AWS
As for the contract, seems like a good contract, but have we finished our Clan refits and training montages? If not I'd recommend waiting until we're at least mostly done with those before we jet off anywhere.
This sounds about right.

"Sure, go off and retire, make me step up and be in charge. Thanks a lot. Alright you rookies, quit slacking and let's see what ya' got! AND TURN THE HEAT UP ALREADY!!!"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, so my priority list in terms of upgrading my Marauder would be this:

(1) as many double heat sinks as possible;
(2) upgrade the PPCs to ER PPCs;
(3) upgrade the medium lasers to ER medium lasers (if space and heat make this practical) or to pulse medium lasers if not;
(4) upgraded engine if feasible;
(5) mech nutz

Depending on what's available and priority within the unit.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

(6) Dirigible attachment points.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:46 pm (6) Dirigible attachment points.
Well, that's for the separate Balloon Brigade that I'm forming.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:48 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:46 pm (6) Dirigible attachment points.
Well, that's for the separate Balloon Brigade that I'm forming.
So... we need 4 commanders. The Guap's gonna be captain of the Blimp company.

If you're hoping they'll air drop your Marauder, you might want to add jump jets to your list of upgrades - make the landing a little softer.
moleymoleymoley

Post by moleymoleymoley »

OH MY GOD WE'RE BACK!

Am i too late to continue? If I can I'll continue with my character and his thud (it's the JJ one yeah?) I'm not a fan of wholesale mech redesign so I'd love to replace the med lasers with the clan meds? And the PPC > cPPC if there's one spare/it doesn't ruin my heat curve?

So glad you're back!
moleymoleymoley

[x] El Guapo
[X] Leraje
[x] Freyland
[] Siljanus
[] Wolf
[] AWS

Also I petition that as I'm a 2/2 pilot I should definitely be more than a private :pop:

As for the mission, I say take the training, they're always great contracts for leveling up the little folk, definitely going to be useful against the clans.
moleymoleymoley

Slightly off topic, but @Nickaragua , I remember in the previous one you said you use a 'tracks' system for as the basis for these stories / missions, which books do I need to buy to find some of these? I thought the digital scenarios I got from the Kickstarter might be it but they're just one off fights.

Obviously not asking for the one you're going to use here as that would ruin your story but a book that will give me some tracks to use in my own mekHQ game in this clan invasion period would be awesome
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
El Guapo ||||||||
Leraje ||||||
Siljanus ||||
Freyland |||||
Wolf ||

Pass, hang out on outreach - almost unanimous
In the end, El Guapo, Leraje and Freyland get the company command slots and the requisite promotions to Captain. El Guapo will take charge of Alpha Company, Leraje will take charge of Gamma Company and Freyland will lead Delta company. Siljanus is promoted to Lieutenant and given command of Beta-Hunter lance, while Wolf is promoted to Lieutenant (junior grade) and given command of Gamma-Striker lance.

We've got two more Lieutenant slots, with eight candidates:

Cpl. Kwan-Uk Virmani - drives a Grasshopper. An elite mechwarrior, but nobody actually recommended him, and he's got no command experience or known command ability whatsoever, but he's been pestering our command staff and somehow his file wound up on Zenn7's desk.

Cpl. Loren Burgess - drives a Catapult. Amazing at getting maneuvering performance out of his mech, and has displayed some basic capability for tactical thought.

Pvt. Allen Nattore - drives a Trebuchet TBT-3C (an up-gunned, up-heatsinked version of the standard Trebuchet). An expert in night time and swamp ambush warfare, but has not received any command endorsements.

Pvt. Tom Chagares - we're pretty sure his application is some kind of prank. He's a good shot with his Griffin, but has no leadership skills whatsoever, preferring to goof off and play pranks on his fellow mechwarriors.

Pvt. Daniel "Moley MkII" Adepapo - drives a Thunderbolt. An expert on amphibious warfare and has an excellent tactical sense.

Pvt. Nadezda "Stefan MkV" Sikora - No idea how her file wound up on Zenn7's desk, must have been a clerical error. We'll revisit the idea in a few years.

Pvt. Tomoyuki "Bass" Owen - Has taken to the Phoenix Hawk 3M like a fish to water, with an uncanny ability to effectively engage multiple targets. Displays a reasonable understanding of tactics and our command staff feel he's got high potential.

Cpl. Varada "Cylus MkII" Sunondo - An ace mechwarrior in a Grasshopper (of course we have spares). Has absorbed an extensive amount of tactical knowledge through osmosis.

Once we eliminate those with no leadership capability whatsoever, we've actually got three people left. Let's pick 2:
[] Loren Burgess - tactics 1, "can't teach an old dog new tricks"
[] Moley Mk II - tactics 3, capability for a little more training in other leadership areas
[] Cylus Mk II - tactics 3, capability for substantial training other leadership areas
[] Bass - tactics 1, capability for extensive training in other leadership areas

---

"Got some bad news for you, pal." Isgrimnur's tech informs him.

"Yeah, and what's that?" The mechwarrior replies, in a thick Scottish accent frequently cultivated by those originating from Caledonia.

"We can put the hatchet on, but we're gonna have to take off a PPC, or most of your SRM tubes."

"Most?"

"Yeah, all but four. Or we can keep all the armor and just give you a streak-two and a hatchet."

"Uh..." our mechwarrior pauses, thinking. "What if I could get you an extended range PPC, think you could replace the left arm one as well?"

[] Keep the Thug as is - no hatchet
[] Remove the right arm PPC, replacing the left arm PPC with a clan ER model. Minor reduction in long range firepower.
[] Remove the right arm PPC and a heat sink, replacing the left arm PPC with an Inner Sphere ER model. Significant reduction in long range firepower, and trades one of the crappy light mechs we've got lying around in mothballs, but isn't basically irreplaceable.
[] Keep both PPCs, drop down to four SRM tubes and one ton of ammo. Retains long range firepower, but serious gap in short range firepower.

---

El Guapo's mech-tech proposes two options:

[] Convert single heat sinks to doubles, dropping down to 15 total (30 heat), convert medium lasers to clan ER mediums.
[] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then drop heat sinks down from 16 to 15 (30 heat) to put back the extra ton of gauss ammo.
[] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then swap the PPCs for clan versions, using the saved tonnage to put back the ton of gauss ammo and an extra ton of armor. Putting a lot of eggs in one basket, though.

---

Xwraith's Thunderbolt will get refitted to a 7M, although we'll be dropping half a ton of MG ammo to add more armor. After that, however, we run out of double heat sinks.

Leraje's tech team examines his proposed changes skeptically, pointing out that they'll turn the mech into an oven, but grudgingly concede that they can get it done.

We also decide that, since we have an XL engine of the appropriate size sitting around, to upgrade one of our Ostscouts. Putting an XL engine on it really frees up a lot of tonnage, which we use to mount the two spare pulse lasers (our tech read about the possibility of doing this in Mechs Monthly), just about max out the armor, and add a few heat sinks (with an engine that big, the weight savings are pretty crazy).

---

Our next months' contract options:

Saffel "Relief" Duty - it appears that a biotech conglomerate out of FedCom has hired a mercenary outfit to extract data and samples from the Saffel Medical Institute. Unfortunately, these mercenaries screwed up and got themselves captured. Our job would be to land on the planet, rescue or eliminate the mercenaries depending on the feasibility of said rescue attempt (before they talk enough to cause a diplomatic incident), and complete their original job. The good news is that we can expect excellent salvage opportunities - the bad news is that, in addition to planetary militia, the 36th Dieron Regulars are currently stationed there. Saffel itself is a cool, relatively low gravity world with about 50% water coverage on the surface. The estimated force commitment level is a batallion, so we may as well bring everyone we've got.

Details:
Liaison command
100% transport coverage
70% salvage rights
80% support costs coverage
Regular/C allies
Regular/B opposition
4 month contract duration, 1 month travel time
15 high-tech part orders
242M expected profit

This is an excellent contract, financially speaking. And, upon contract completion, the conglomerate is willing to go "to bat" for us and get us in line for some purchases of high-end parts, depending on our performance there. If a little icky, given both the current state of affairs and because we may wind up being the clean-up crew.

---

Hanover "Relief" Duty - the Draconis Combine wants a "discreet" force to travel to Hanover, where we are to rendezvous with local militia who reportedly put up an excellent fight against the invading clans there, destroy military assets that the DCMS wants to deny the enemy and extract any surviving personnel. The difficulty being that, excellent fight or not, the clans won and are now consolidating their gains on the planet, although their scariest mechs appear to have departed in exchange for a mixed garrison force. On the one hand, this gives us a chance to give some clanners the what-for, but, on the other hand, we're not necessarily ready to take them on again right now. Hanover is a non-descript, pretty cool and dry world with no major industry of note that we care about, but the DCMS feels differently.

Details:
Liaison command
100% transport coverage
40% salvage rights
100% battle loss compensation (re-negotiated from 10%)
Veteran/D allies
Regular/B estimated opposition
4 month contract duration, 6 month travel time
14 high-tech part orders
90M expected profit

This is a high-risk, high-reward contract, in terms of salvage anyway. Even 40% of clan tech is still 40% of clan tech. Additionally, upon contract completion, we'll be able to place some orders at factories within the DC for high-end equipment. The downside being, we might just get turned into paste, and it doesn't pay that well. Although the DCMS liaison does admit that 10% battle loss compensation is complete bullshit against the clans when our negotiators point it out.

[] Saffel Relief Duty - Rescue Mercs/Seize Assets
[] Hanover Relief Duty - Rescue Militia/Destroy Assets
[] Pass, wait another month
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:53 am Slightly off topic, but @Nickaragua , I remember in the previous one you said you use a 'tracks' system for as the basis for these stories / missions, which books do I need to buy to find some of these? I thought the digital scenarios I got from the Kickstarter might be it but they're just one off fights.

Obviously not asking for the one you're going to use here as that would ruin your story but a book that will give me some tracks to use in my own mekHQ game in this clan invasion period would be awesome
An "alpha" version (adapted for MekHQ without a full GM) of what I've been using will actually be in the next MekHQ release. For the Zoetermeer campaign I used a lot of scenarios from the most recent Battle of Tukayyid sourcebook, but I don't think I even touched a quarter of the ones that were in there.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:(
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:52 pm Once we eliminate those with no leadership capability whatsoever, we've actually got three people left. Let's pick 2:
[] Moley Mk II - tactics 3, capability for a little more training in other leadership areas
[x] Cylus Mk II - tactics 3, capability for substantial training other leadership areas
[x] Bass - tactics 1, capability for extensive training in other leadership areas

---
[x] Remove the right arm PPC, replacing the left arm PPC with a clan ER model. Minor reduction in long range firepower.
[] Remove the right arm PPC and a heat sink, replacing the left arm PPC with an Inner Sphere ER model. Significant reduction in long range firepower, and trades one of the crappy light mechs we've got lying around in mothballs, but isn't basically irreplaceable.
[] Keep both PPCs, drop down to four SRM tubes and one ton of ammo. Retains long range firepower, but serious gap in short range firepower.

---

[] Convert single heat sinks to doubles, dropping down to 15 total (30 heat), convert medium lasers to clan ER mediums.
[x] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then drop heat sinks down from 16 to 15 (30 heat) to put back the extra ton of gauss ammo.
[] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then swap the PPCs for clan versions, using the saved tonnage to put back the ton of gauss ammo and an extra ton of armor. Putting a lot of eggs in one basket, though.

---
[x] Saffel Relief Duty - Rescue Mercs/Seize Assets
Contract choice is a tough call, but I think we better wait to take the clans on again until we have gotten our newbs integrated and trained up a little. I certainly won't object if the rest feel the desire to jump right into the fire though.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I don't recall our present financial situation, but unless we're loaded, easier money sounds best right now. Also, we haven't had a chance to be a cohesive fighting force yet.
Oh, and I need a mech, please.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:52 pm
[x] Moley Mk II - tactics 3, capability for a little more training in other leadership areas
[x] Cylus Mk II - tactics 3, capability for substantial training other leadership areas
[] Bass - tactics 1, capability for extensive training in other leadership areas

Zarathud

Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Zarathud »

Clean-up crew job may get icky, but it’s better than taking on the Clan. If we can’t handle it, we’re not gonna make it in this galaxy anyway.

Best of all, it pays well. If we’re going to fight, we need to build the cash reserves.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In the end, El Guapo, Leraje and Freyland get the company command slots and the requisite promotions to Captain. El Guapo will take charge of Alpha Company, Leraje will take charge of Gamma Company and Freyland will lead Delta company. Siljanus is promoted to Lieutenant and given command of Beta-Hunter lance, while Wolf is promoted to Lieutenant (junior grade) and given command of Gamma-Striker lance.
Congratulations to all!
[X] Moley Mk II - tactics 3, capability for a little more training in other leadership areas
[X] Cylus Mk II - tactics 3, capability for substantial training other leadership areas
---
[X] Saffel Relief Duty - Rescue Mercs/Seize Assets
*The Hanover contract seems risky. At least until more of the new recruits get some experience. Saffel may be a bit "icky", but if I understand correctly, it's got some potential for some decent rewards with substantially less risk.

Edit: Changed my first vote. I was so busy reading the descriptions/fluff text, I missed the summary with actual skills. I am assuming that like the PC game, having higher Tactics is better. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:11 pm
Congratulations to all!
[X] Moley Mk II - tactics 3, capability for a little more training in other leadership areas
[X] Cylus Mk II - tactics 3, capability for substantial training other leadership areas
---
*The Hanover contract seems risky. At least until more of the new recruits get some experience. Saffel may be a bit "icky", but if I understand correctly, it's got some potential for some decent rewards with substantially less risk.

Edit: Changed my first vote. I was so busy reading the descriptions/fluff text, I missed the summary with actual skills. I am assuming that like the PC game, having higher Tactics is better. :)
Pretty much what TheMix said! I’m all for going up against the Clans again but we’re not quite there yet. But their time is going to come...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:11 pm
Congratulations to all!
---

Pretty much what TheMix said! I’m all for going up against the Clans again but we’re not quite there yet. But their time is going to come...
I second this second!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Pvt. Nadezda "Stefan MkV" Sikora - No idea how her file wound up on Zenn7's desk, must have been a clerical error. We'll revisit the idea in a few years.
Money talks ;)

Saffel clean up contract.
moleymoleymoley

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:52 pm Once we eliminate those with no leadership capability whatsoever, we've actually got three people left. Let's pick 2:

---
[X] Keep the Thug as is - no hatchet
[] Remove the right arm PPC, replacing the left arm PPC with a clan ER model. Minor reduction in long range firepower.

---

[x] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then drop heat sinks down from 16 to 15 (30 heat) to put back the extra ton of gauss ammo.
[] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then swap the PPCs for clan versions, using the saved tonnage to put back

---
I've basically chosen the options that will benefit us most when it comes to eventually fighting clans.

The Thug - a pretty great mech by itself, moving to a single PPC drastically reduces one of its key benefits, durability, a single lucky hit would render it ineffective against anything moving slightly faster than it. Hatchets, whilst fun, are a lot of tonnage for a very situational weapon.

The MAD refit - it's already a bit of a badass with that Gauss, if we put too much clan weaponry on it it's a monumental disaster if we lose it, better to spread it thinner amongst others.

The contract - we need higher tech before we can survive clanners, seems like a good way to get it and earn an absolute fortune at the same time. Maybe get some nice salvage too?
moleymoleymoley

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:55 pm
moleymoleymoley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:53 am Slightly off topic, but @Nickaragua , I remember in the previous one you said you use a 'tracks' system for as the basis for these stories / missions, which books do I need to buy to find some of these? I thought the digital scenarios I got from the Kickstarter might be it but they're just one off fights.

An "alpha" version (adapted for MekHQ without a full GM) of what I've been using will actually be in the next MekHQ release. For the Zoetermeer campaign I used a lot of scenarios from the most recent Battle of Tukayyid sourcebook, but I don't think I even touched a quarter of the ones that were in there.
God I can't wait for that. Throw in a persistent opfor, and maybe an AI GM and I'd play mekHQ til my eyes bled I reckon.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:30 am

---
[X] Keep the Thug as is - no hatchet

---

[] Refit to a MAD-5S (heat sinks to doubles, PPCs to inner sphere extended-range) then swap the PPCs for clan versions, using the saved tonnage to put back

---
I've basically chosen the options that will benefit us most when it comes to eventually fighting clans.

The Thug - a pretty great mech by itself, moving to a single PPC drastically reduces one of its key benefits, durability, a single lucky hit would render it ineffective against anything moving slightly faster than it. Hatchets, whilst fun, are a lot of tonnage for a very situational weapon.

The MAD refit - it's already a bit of a badass with that Gauss, if we put too much clan weaponry on it it's a monumental disaster if we lose it, better to spread it thinner amongst others.

The contract - we need higher tech before we can survive clanners, seems like a good way to get it and earn an absolute fortune at the same time. Maybe get some nice salvage too?
This all makes sense. I'll confess to not totally understanding the second Marauder refit option (why would we swap to inner sphere ER PPCs, and then immediately to Clan ER PPCs?), but the core logic of not putting too much Clan Tech in one mech at this point seems to make sense.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:52 pm
[x] Moley Mk II - tactics 3, capability for a little more training in other leadership areas

Leraje

Post by Leraje »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:03 am This all makes sense. I'll confess to not totally understanding the second Marauder refit option (why would we swap to inner sphere ER PPCs, and then immediately to Clan ER PPCs?), but the core logic of not putting too much Clan Tech in one mech at this point seems to make sense.
Refitting to an established variant first is faster and easier than assembling a design from scratch.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One question - are we using any of the Clan ER PPCs under the likely refit plans? Seems like we should find a way to put at least two of the three that we have into mechs, so that they don't go to waste.

I'd recommend taking one and shipping back to our home world for tech research (assuming that has some in game effect, as it seems to).
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 am One question - are we using any of the Clan ER PPCs under the likely refit plans? Seems like we should find a way to put at least two of the three that we have into mechs, so that they don't go to waste.

I'd recommend taking one and shipping back to our home world for tech research (assuming that has some in game effect, as it seems to).
I like this approach. I think we definitely need to think about the long game. Potentially improving armaments down the road is worth taking a small hit now.

Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:27 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 am One question - are we using any of the Clan ER PPCs under the likely refit plans? Seems like we should find a way to put at least two of the three that we have into mechs, so that they don't go to waste.

I like this approach. I think we definitely need to think about the long game. Potentially improving armaments down the road is worth taking a small hit now.
Short term loss for long term gain. I like it.

(provided we live long term...)

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Moley |||||||
Cylus |||||||||
Bass ||

Saffel - unanimous
Cylus and Moley get the last two lieutenant slots in the company. With Freyland climbing into a Wolverine (an appropriate mech for a company commander), we've got a full officer roster, but we're short about a company's worth (12) mechwarriors. So we'll need to do a little recruiting while our mechs are being refitted.

Wolf's Grasshopper refit completes, but then we decide to pull one of the two streak SRM ammo bins (there's no mech in the galaxy that needs a hundred shots of streak SRM/2 ammo) and install an extra heat sink instead.

We also scoop up a Stingray F-92 fighter. It's a little pricey, at 4.4M C-Bills, but it's got all the high tech toys we could want - ER PPCs, ER Large Lasers, double aero heat sinks. Additionally, in the spirit of combined arms, we pick up a Shreck PPC Carrier (basically an Awesome on treads) and a Falcon hovertank (12 SRM tubes, medium laser). We've learned enough about how to coordinate the various types of units that we're pretty confident in being able to deploy auxiliaries with out mech lances

One last refit choice. This is a list of all the mechs in the company that have PPCs, with my opinion on whether they can take a clan PPC upgrade.

Awesome AWS-8Q - 3x PPC. Nope (it can barely fire the three PPCs it's got)
Blackjack BJ-3 - 2x PPCs means it'll be weird upgrading just one, and no way it can handle +10 heat
Catapult CPLT-K2 - same problem as the Blackjack
Grasshopper GHR-5N - 1x PPC - yes, although the +5 heat will be difficult to manage
Griffin GRF-1N - 1x PPC - yes, although it'll have to alternate PPC and LRM fire
Hatamoto-Hi HTM-27U - 2x PPC, meaning same problem as the Blackjack
Mackie MSK-8B(G) - same problem as the Blackjack
Marauder MAD-5S - already discussed
Merlin MLN-1A - 1x PPC - yes, it'll throw off the heat curve but may take the mech from "not very good" to "passable"
Thunderbolt TDR-5SS - 1x PPC - yes, the heat curve will be a little more difficult to manage

So, let's pick up to two clan ER PPCs to carry out upgrades.
[] Grasshopper GHR-5N (Hyena's ride)
[] Merlin MLN-1A (Stefan's ride)
[] Thunderbolt TDR-5SS
[] Griffin GRF-1N
[] Write-in

Using the two clan ER PPCs will leave us with 1 of those and the five clan ER medium lasers. We can either ship those back to our R&D facility or use some to upgrade our mechs (we have very many mechs with medium lasers, so it won't be an issue to find somewhere to put them).

[] Ship remaining weaponry back to Dowles
[] Use some of it to upgrade our current mechs

As it turns out, our refits will take longer to complete than we have time to wait for the Saffel contract - basically that means that we'll be down four heavy hitter mechs (El Guapo's Marauder, Xwraith's Thunderbolt, Wolf's Grasshopper and Leraje's Black Knight), plus an Ostscout (but who cares) and our mechwarriors will have to ride in spares for the duration of the contract. Not a huge deal, but a shame. Additionally, even with our recruitment drive, we still come up two lances short of our full strength.

Our current budget (after our retirees took their payouts and the retired Major Scrub took about three billion C-Bills back to Dowles to help jump start the R&D scene there) is 657M C-Bills, with 13.5M C-Bills going out per month.

Or, we could pass and just wait for the refits to complete - there's probably no shortage of mercenary work.

[] Go do the contract anyway, we'll see our mechs when we finish up (or have them shipped in if possible)
[] Pass, wait for refits to finish

If we decide to do the contract anyway, those who are still waiting for refits should pick replacement mechs from the remaining rides in the first post.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Is there an appreciable difference in terms of research speed if we send all the ER Clan Medium Lasers to the labs vs some of them? A pair of Clan lasers on a mech could go a long way on the battlefield.

Also if we go for the refits are we at a big disadvantage with the replacement mechs? I don’t know enough to make an informed decision.
Black lives matter!

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm
[X] Grasshopper GHR-5N (Hyena's ride)
[X] Merlin MLN-1A (Stefan's ride)
[X] Thunderbolt TDR-5SS
[] Griffin GRF-1N
[] Write-in

Using the two clan ER PPCs will leave us with 1 of those and the five clan ER medium lasers. We can either ship those back to our R&D facility or use some to upgrade our mechs (we have very many mechs with medium lasers, so it won't be an issue to find somewhere to put them).

[x] Use some of it to upgrade our current mechs

[x] Go do the contract anyway, we'll see our mechs when we finish up (or have them shipped in if possible)

If we decide to do the contract anyway, those who are still waiting for refits should pick replacement mechs from the remaining rides in the first post.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm
[X] Merlin MLN-1A (Stefan's ride)
[X] Thunderbolt TDR-5SS
[] Griffin GRF-1N
[] Write-in

[x] Go do the contract anyway, we'll see our mechs when we finish up (or have them shipped in if possible)

Last edited by gbasden on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm So, let's pick up to two clan ER PPCs to carry out upgrades.
[x] Merlin MLN-1A (Stefan's ride)
[x] Thunderbolt TDR-5SS
[] Griffin GRF-1N
[] Write-in

Send at least 1 of the clan ER ML's back for research.

3 BILLION??? WOW!!! That's one heck of jump start!