Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: Random randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Do you know how many sex offenders live near you? Say within a one or two mile radius? I do. I get updates from a cyber monitoring firm ever since my data was hacked back in the nineties as part of the enormous OPM (Office of Personnel Management) breach. Because I was in the military and my data was accessed in that breach, I get free cyber monitoring for life for my address, my name, my phone numbers, my email addresses, credit cards, etc.

So at least monthly I've been getting an update and they are almost always for sex offenders who have moved into the area. Sex offenders apparently are the most likely group to use identify theft for obvious reasons. And my area is basically defined as within a couple of miles of my address. In the past year they have notified me of at least two dozen new offenders who now are registered as living within my area. Plus of course any who were previously registered near me, I just don't have the energy to go back through all the reports.

Really opens ones eyes it does.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've checked once or twice. Since I live in a densely populated area, there are lots of them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Air conditioners, activate!

The temperature in Philadelphia spiked to 90 yesterday and hit 85 today, and it might reach 94 this weekend. We gave in and turned on the AC (since my wife and I sleep on the third floor).

In the past, we've seldom had to do this before June.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Left mine on for 2 hours today while I worked on flushing the water heater and other things. This weekend is supposed to at least tie old records....93 94 94 95. Id prefer to let records stay records.

Looks like Ill be getting up early to mow on the day I do that. Probably around 9am mowing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pickup truck driver harasses and tries to run over homeless man and his cat.
https://newschannel9.com/news/local/ash ... 3QheMOOSHY

Trucks just lucky some armed person wasn't there to end him.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I want to replace my window AC unit that a friend gave me 20+ years ago (and it was already 10 years old then), because it's loud, it doesn't cool very well anymore, and it's so heavy I can barely lift it. So I googled "best lightweight window air conditioners," and the top choice weighs 48 lbs. Guess I'll flog the old Panny for another year, if I can manhandle it into the window again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

KENMORE 87050 Window Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
Cooling area: 150 square feet, 5,000 BTUs
Unit dimensions: 15.25" x 16" x 12"
Weight: 40 pounds
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The little things are heavy for their size. And they dont have a good way to grab them so makes it worse. I used to yank out and put in 12,000 btu things as a 20 something. Last one I did about 2016 was 8,000 or 10,000 btu and I barely got it out of the window. It sits about 3 feet from where it was in the window still in front of my fireplace. Replaced it wit ha 5000 btu one and it works better than the older bigger one. Need to replace the bedroom one sometime as it freezes up on high and barely blows on low . But I cant get to it plus cant afford a replacement. One day.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That's why I use an in-room AC unit. It's just as heavy and takes up some floor space, but to set it up I just need to roll it into position and hook up the intake and exhaust hoses to a plastic adapter panel fitted to the window. As an added bonus, I can use it as a space heater in winter when necessary.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a hiker been missing in TN for 9 days now. I dont know how many are looking now but the way they seemed to handle it seems awful. The guy went walking with his dog and didn't come back for supper that night . The next day the Sheriff i think it was was on tv saying he was an experienced hiker and they had their deputies out searching and he was sure he would turn up soon just fine. Around the 4 day mark the dog showed back up and they said they'd search near where he showed up. On about the 5th day they asked for seasoned hikers who knew the area to come help. The next day they announced they had a 'few' and everyone else could stay home and dont bother showing up. Well 9 days and still nothing. Id want everyone I could get searching.

From the outside the way that Sheriff has handled it is very shitty. The guy probably fell and died or got hurt and died. He MAY still be alive but doubt it. Seems the Sheriff was relying on the guy being a experienced hiker. That wont do a lick of good if you get hurt or totally lost...or dead.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:13 pm KENMORE 87050 Window Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
Cooling area: 150 square feet, 5,000 BTUs
Unit dimensions: 15.25" x 16" x 12"
Weight: 40 pounds
40 lbs mocks my definition of "lightweight," but I guess AC technology didn't make the breakthrough I wanted. I shall direct my friends in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering to get right on it. Also, I am happy to learn that Kenmore still exists. It's probably 15 lbs lighter than the one I have. I used to store it 25' away in my office off-season, but for the past couple of years it's either been in the window or sitting right in front of it, waiting for me to lift it again.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:09 pm I want to replace my window AC unit that a friend gave me 20+ years ago (and it was already 10 years old then), because it's loud, it doesn't cool very well anymore, and it's so heavy I can barely lift it. So I googled "best lightweight window air conditioners," and the top choice weighs 48 lbs. Guess I'll flog the old Panny for another year, if I can manhandle it into the window again.
Here are the top 3 recommended Windows AC units from the Consumer Reports buying guide:
ConsumerReports.org wrote:1. LG LW6019ER, price $271.34 -- 5,000 TO 6,500 BTU/HR. (COOLS 100-300 SQ. FT) -- Overall score 75

2. Frigidaire FFRE063WAE, price $240.25 -- 5,000 TO 6,500 BTU/HR. (COOLS 100-300 SQ. FT) -- Overall score 75

3. Midea MAW06R1YWT-E (Sam’s Club), price $180 -- 5,000 TO 6,500 BTU/HR. (COOLS 100-300 SQ. FT) -- Overall score 73
Of the three, the Midea appears to weigh the least, clocking in at 44.7 lbs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kenmore isn't the old brand of days gone by. Heck no brand is the same as it once was. Now days one company makes multiple brands..same product different badge.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 pm On about the 5th day they asked for seasoned hikers who knew the area to come help. The next day they announced they had a 'few' and everyone else could stay home and dont bother showing up. Well 9 days and still nothing. Id want everyone I could get searching.
I've been in that area (the Pocket Wilderness.) It's complex, it's rugged. They asked for experienced hikers with area knowledge. They were probably having a bunch of middle aged guys who power walk around the cul-de-sac showing up with sneakers and a bottle of Gatorade, hoping to either be a genuine help, or to be the hero.

The last thing you want during a S&R is to start having to rescue the rescuers. You skim off a few actually knowledgeable people to help and act as guides, you thank the rest, and you get them the hell out of the way before they wander off to pee and you have to send another search party.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Huh.....didnt know bagpipe quintets playing mariachi versions of Joni Mitchell songs was so popular.
Congrats on the gig, hepcat.
Can you get Mike Patton to autograph a custard pie for me?

He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, but I think I might have an autograph from the second Darren from Bewitched lying around somewhere if you'd like. It's technically a restraining order, but he didn't realize it at the time.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:54 am
Kraken wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:09 pm I want to replace my window AC unit that a friend gave me 20+ years ago (and it was already 10 years old then), because it's loud, it doesn't cool very well anymore, and it's so heavy I can barely lift it. So I googled "best lightweight window air conditioners," and the top choice weighs 48 lbs. Guess I'll flog the old Panny for another year, if I can manhandle it into the window again.
Here are the top 3 recommended Windows AC units from the Consumer Reports buying guide:
ConsumerReports.org wrote:1. LG LW6019ER, price $271.34 -- 5,000 TO 6,500 BTU/HR. (COOLS 100-300 SQ. FT) -- Overall score 75

2. Frigidaire FFRE063WAE, price $240.25 -- 5,000 TO 6,500 BTU/HR. (COOLS 100-300 SQ. FT) -- Overall score 75

3. Midea MAW06R1YWT-E (Sam’s Club), price $180 -- 5,000 TO 6,500 BTU/HR. (COOLS 100-300 SQ. FT) -- Overall score 73
Of the three, the Midea appears to weigh the least, clocking in at 44.7 lbs.
Thanks, that just tells me that "lightweight" doesn't really apply to these machines. I was hoping for something more like 25-30 lbs; 45 lbs isn't much of an improvement over what I've already got. Might still upgrade anyway, as the old unit is so inefficient.

(edit) The LG says it weighs 8 ounces. I suspect that's wrong.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:44 am
(edit) The LG says it weighs 8 ounces. I suspect that's wrong.
56 pounds
https://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/ ... onditioner
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We've used different brands over the years because it came down to price for us. The last bigger one was Frigidaire. This one thats so good that replaced it is a Norpole. Got it at Fingerhut because payments. It was to replace this bedroom one one day but we'd had it sitting there for 4 or 5 years when the bigger one died for the main room so used it there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fingerhut still exists!?!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:12 pm Fingerhut still exists!?!
Yup and they will gladly finance just about anything for you at the highest interest rate that is legal in your state!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My stepson and his wife have sold their soul to them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Fire inspection next week means that it's time to clean the apartment for the first time since the last one 15 months ago! :banana-explosion:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Whenever someone dies tragically, the news story only talks about how they were "fearless", "big-hearted", or "genuine". You never hear people say, "Yeah, he was a real son of a bitch, but we still miss him."

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:43 pm Whenever someone dies tragically, the news story only talks about how they were "fearless", "big-hearted", or "genuine". You never hear people say, "Yeah, he was a real son of a bitch, but we still miss him."
Reminds me of a random George Carlin line. "He was an asshole, but a WELL-MEANING asshole."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Went to the kitchen and flipped on the light and there was a big Huntsman Spider on the counter. I just let him sit there. He didn't move when I reached for the spoon beside him. Maybe he likes ants.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Of the three two and one former close friends that I've had, two of them were assholes. Now I have a matched set.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ordered a set of eight RAM modules from a NewEgg Marketplace seller (why yes, i will name names - Ram-Store). what i received was just one RAM module, and it was a totally different model # from the product listing. i had NewEgg get on their case, and Ram-Store emailed me with:
So sorry about it. There should be something wrong with the item title. The order is for 1 stick, not for 8 sticks of rams . Sorry. And the ram you got is also compatible . Could you try to install it to check if it works in your computer ? Thank you very much .

Kindly Regards,​
Ram-Store Service Team
so apparently the fact they have a completely inaccurate product listing up bothers them not very much (certainly not enough for them to actually change it to reflect what they think they're selling).

replied with my terms once again (the actual product listed, or alternatively, another module just like the one they sent and a monetary refund of the difference for the other six unshipped RAM modules) - if they try to sidestep the issue once more, i think going to NewEgg to get some sort of resolution might be the smart thing to do.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:13 pm Of the three two and one former close friends that I've had, two of them were assholes. Now I have a matched set.
I hadn't noticed an assholy vibe from you before, but Ima start building a case now, since you're new around here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I never claimed to be one, just that I appear to collect them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I feel Burger King should rename their 'Big' Fish Sandwich to something smaller like The Minnow or something. Thing is little. Its on a bun about like a regular McD hamburger. it tasted just ok. Also got an Impossible Whopper to try. Not impressed. Was tougher than a normal one, was drier, and had a burned flavor to it. No more thanks.

Also Walmart.....I think out of 100 people that 5 were masked including me. All workers seemed to be masked though.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:02 pm Also Walmart.....I think out of 100 people that 5 were masked including me. All workers seemed to be masked though.
Fret ye not.

If you're worried about people not wearing masks, get vaccinated (and if memory serves, you already have been). If you're vaccinated, then you don't need to worry about who's wearing masks. After you've been vaccinated, continuing to put your faith into the protective value of the flimsy and filthy cloth chin-diapers typically worn by Walmart randos as a safeguard against COVID infection makes about as much sense as superstitiously relying upon the surety of a lucky pair of socks to insulate you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I defer to the experts, but there doesn't seem to be 100% certainty that fully vaccinated individuals can't spread covid. Masking indoors in high-infection areas may help protect the immunocompromised and unvaccinated/partially vaccinated. It also seems wise as an additional layer of protection for yourself if you have any high-risk health conditions. The best vaccines seem to prevent severe infections, but so much of the science continues to evolve.

Anonymous Bosch

Sudy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:12 pm I defer to the experts, but there doesn't seem to be 100% certainty that fully vaccinated individuals can't spread covid.
So what? There's no "100% certainty" that clumsily-worn, flimsy cloth facial coverings prevent the infected from spreading COVID-19 either. But the effectiveness of the vaccine is what has dramatically slowed the spread of infection across the US rather than randos wearing cloth-chin diapers.
Sudy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:12 pmMasking indoors in high-infection areas may help protect the immunocompromised and unvaccinated/partially vaccinated.

It also seems wise as an additional layer of protection for yourself if you have any high-risk health conditions. The best vaccines seem to prevent severe infections, but so much of the science continues to evolve.
Perhaps, but with almost 128 million Americans having now been fully vaccinated, where's the evidence that indicates such additional precaution is necessary? To quote the CDC: "fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask or physically distance in any setting" because:
CDC.gov wrote:Currently authorized vaccines in the United States are highly effective at protecting vaccinated people against symptomatic and severe COVID-19. Additionally, a growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others.
The point being, in terms of protecting the immunocompromised and others from the spread of COVID, vaccination is vastly superior than flimsy cloth chin-diapers.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You keep saying "cloth chin diapers" as if you perhaps have some kind of bias against masks.

I'm not an expert on the state of covid in the U.S., but the CDC, while noteworthy, isn't the only source of information and some organizations are questioning their edict. Everyone can do their own research.

Anonymous Bosch

Sudy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:41 pm You keep saying "cloth chin diapers" as if you perhaps have some kind of bias against masks.
I say that, because any genuine preventive benefit from masks is also hugely dependent upon the wearer doing so correctly to prevent airborne particles from finding their way around any gaps between the mask and face to inhibit airborne infection. And I've lost count of how many times I've seen randos in public wearing masks that do not cover their nose, or that have their masks pulled down under their chin for one reason or another. Suffice to say, I have a great deal more trust and confidence in the vaccine's scientifically-established 80-94% effectiveness against asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection and transmission than that of American randos reliably wearing their rubbishy cloth facial coverings.
Sudy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:41 pmI'm not an expert on the state of covid in the U.S., but the CDC, while noteworthy, isn't the only source of information and some organizations are questioning their edict. Everyone can do their own research.
Whatever floats yer goat. But I'll take the preventive effectiveness of the vaccine vs. throwing bones, wearing a lucky pair of socks, or randos wearing a cheaply-made piece of cloth under their nose or chin any day. :wink:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's kind of like saying birth control pills are 80-94% effective, so you're not going to bother wearing a condom/asking your partner to wear one, because you can't trust people to wear their condoms properly. That risk may be acceptable to you, but somebody out there's getting pregnant.

You can control your own condom. And you can encourage other people to wear condoms properly. And condoms worn improperly may still be better than none at all in some cases.

But yeah, get vaccinated ASAP, obviously. Many people may not wear masks properly, but there's never been any question they have a positive effect on transmission rates when they are worn properly. I'm not looking up stats to back me up on that one, but if you have research from multiple reputable sources that masks have zero effect across the board, I'll eat my hat.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When I went to get my vaccination at a hospital I wore my industrial strength Bane-style mask, but they made me wear a cloth face diaper!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will still wear a mask because last week people were filling bags with gas
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Too bad there isn't a thread for this kind of bullshit discourse.