COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Zaxxon »

I was pleased to read this morning that my red county plus most of the rest of the Denver metro area has surpassed 70% of the population with at least one dose.

Now if we could only get our kids some shots, I'd be much less stressed...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 pm
disarm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:09 pm I think you would be surprised by a lot of hospital employee vaccination data. The health system that I work with in CT has only reached about 70% vaccination among employees at this point, and it doesn't seem like they're going to get much better any time soon
Right, but with them being in the healthcare line of work, you would think they'd know the risks the most. And yes, they only started offering the vaccine to healthcare workers here recently as well. Hypothetically, If I were offered the vaccine in that line of work, I would be jumping at the chance. Especially when we've seen our district be ravaged with LTC and hospital outbreaks in a time when we haven't enough doses. To see healthcare workers refuse it is pretty selfish. What are they doing in the healthcare profession if they aren't willing to protect themselves?? They knew what they were signing up for. Refusing it not only puts themselves at risk, but everyone else, including co-workers and patients at risk. It's so negligent.
Flu vaccines are mandatory where I work. I don't think any of us expected the COVID vaccine to be any different. I believe we had over 90% of on-site done by February. Granted we still had a lot of WFH so the overall system rate was lower but as people come back they get vaccinated.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As far as I know everyone who comes in is getting vaccinated. They did a public survey of staff and I don't know if it was shaming/lying but our office was at 100% self reporting. Vaccination is not mandatory and we still require masks and limited occupancy in shared spaces and while moving about. You must take training and agree to compliance before being allowed to come and go without prior authorization. Hybrid work is entirely at the discretion of the employee if work circumstance does not dictate you to be on premise. We also still deny entry to anyone who admits to having symptoms or has increased temperature and temperature taking is required to enter the building. I'm not sure about interstate/international travel anymore. I know we still update hot zones but I don't recall seeing them on the daily building entry form. I'm guessing this all persists at least until labor day.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 am temperature taking is required to enter the building.
We've done this for a year on a site with around 500 people. We've never had temperature screening catch anyone despite people onsite with active cases. I wish we could do away with it - it's annoying.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 am temperature taking is required to enter the building.
We've done this for a year on a site with around 500 people. We've never had temperature screening catch anyone despite people onsite with active cases. I wish we could do away with it - it's annoying.
I don't know about doing away with it. I haven't thought about it much and we don't have 500 people waiting to enter the building. However, he have had two cases on site and temp checking caught neither of them. Neither case cause spread in office or ended up being debilitative, as we are so isolated from each other, <whew>. Both cases were with young 20 somethings. It's funny. HIPPA protects reporting who was ill but CYA required the office to inform people potentially exposed. So you look around and say "well, who's not here for the next two weeks" out of the very few people allowed/necessitated in the office and you know exactly who is in isolation.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 am
stessier wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 am
I don't know about doing away with it. I haven't thought about it much and we don't have 500 people waiting to enter the building. However, he have had two cases on site and temp checking caught neither of them. Neither case cause spread in office or ended up being debilitative, as we are so isolated from each other, <whew>. Both cases were with young 20 somethings. It's funny. HIPPA protects reporting who was ill but CYA required the office to inform people potentially exposed. So you look around and say "well, who's not here for the next two weeks" out of the very few people allowed/necessitated in the office and you know exactly who is in isolation.
I should have waited 5 minutes to post - they just dropped the temperature screening requirement. Woo-hoo!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Congrats? (Again, to my knowledge, it has been 0% effective in helping screening. As far as I know contact tracing is the only indicator that has affected our office)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:08 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 pm
disarm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:09 pm I think you would be surprised by a lot of hospital employee vaccination data. The health system that I work with in CT has only reached about 70% vaccination among employees at this point, and it doesn't seem like they're going to get much better any time soon
Right, but with them being in the healthcare line of work, you would think they'd know the risks the most. And yes, they only started offering the vaccine to healthcare workers here recently as well. Hypothetically, If I were offered the vaccine in that line of work, I would be jumping at the chance. Especially when we've seen our district be ravaged with LTC and hospital outbreaks in a time when we haven't enough doses. To see healthcare workers refuse it is pretty selfish. What are they doing in the healthcare profession if they aren't willing to protect themselves?? They knew what they were signing up for. Refusing it not only puts themselves at risk, but everyone else, including co-workers and patients at risk. It's so negligent.
Flu vaccines are mandatory where I work. I don't think any of us expected the COVID vaccine to be any different. I believe we had over 90% of on-site done by February. Granted we still had a lot of WFH so the overall system rate was lower but as people come back they get vaccinated.

Yeah, exactly. One would think that if flu vaccines are mandatory, a mandatory vaccine for something more contagious should not be a surprise. If anything, it should be expected that all healthcare workers be vaccinated against what's contagious as part of the job. Those refusing it are not helping the system or the healing the civilization.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:31 am Popped into CVS this morning and was mildly shocked to see that most people in there didn't have masks on. It wasn't crowded, so sample size issue I guess, but something like 5 of 8 people were unmasked. This is one neighborhood over from my leftist mask-loving neighborhood.
I went grocery shopping unmasked for the first time today...mainly because I forgot to bring one with me and haven't replaced the disposable one I keep in my car. No biggie; the overwhelming majority of shoppers and employees are unmasked, so wearing one is basically just theater now.

Last night we went out to dine indoors for the first time (not counting the breakfast out that we had last weekend). The 110 Grill had a 45-minute wait. There were open tables both indoors and out, but the hostess explained that they don't have enough servers to cover them. Nobody there was masked. So we tootled across the street to Unos, which had a "masks required" sign on the door. Wife managed to produce one for each of us. The place was dead, and since masks were only required when away from one's table, that was just theater, too. We wore a mask between the front door and sitting down, then again while leaving. At least all the employees there were masked, so that much was consistent.

I'm pretty much done with masks for the time being. The data strongly say that fully vaxxed people are effectively immune in most settings, and community transmission did not increase in Mass. after the great unmasking two weekends ago. The positive test rate hovers comfortably below 1% and new cases average below 150/day, while the vaxxed percentage keeps creeping slowly upward. The risk of covid is very low, so I'm going to take advantage of that while it's still true.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The amount of infections and death and with an unvaccinated mother here, I'm still mask wearing in spite of being vaccinated. It's not about me. I assume I am nigh invulnerable at least for the moment but I also have no reason to believe that if I pick up the virus as a hitch hiker, I won't be passing to others.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 pm I also have no reason to believe that if I pick up the virus as a hitch hiker, I won't be passing to others.
The data suggests you will not.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know that data at this point. Can you point me to it?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am I don't know that data at this point. Can you point me to it?
CDC.
A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others.
More from that link:
Data from multiple studies in different countries suggest that people vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine who develop COVID-19 have a lower viral load than unvaccinated people.(50-54) This observation may indicate reduced transmissibility, as viral load has been identified as a key driver of transmission(55). Two studies from the United Kingdom found significantly reduced likelihood of transmission to household contacts from people infected with SARS-CoV-2 who were previously vaccinated for COVID-19.(26, 56)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My workplace has stopped mandated twice-weekly testing for COVID if you have the vaccination card. However, since we are often in vehicles with others, masks are still mandatory.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

All but one person masked at Aldi today and I think she was genuine as her child was masked. But again I think Michigan is still trailing most states with regard to new infections and deaths.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A family came to my garage sale today fully masked, so I respectfully donned mine. I consider it a triumph of parenting that my still-unvaccinated children are extremely uncomfortable in a social situation where others are not wearing masks. It's second nature to them right now.

Still, my daughter has had a runny nose for a few days, first sign of a cold since this whole thing started. There was a story on the news this morning that also mentioned colds are becoming more prevalent.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yesterday MA recorded only 33 new cases and no deaths, in a state of 7.1 million. Those are the lowest numbers since 3/17/20, before we knew what was coming.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:37 pm Yesterday MA recorded only 33 new cases and no deaths, in a state of 7.1 million. Those are the lowest numbers since 3/17/20, before we knew what was coming.
It's good to live in a blue state. I looked at data for California counties today, and the vaccination rate was a direct correlation to votes for Trump. The more votes given to Trump in a given county, the fewer vaccinated people there are in that county. It's frustrating, but at least most of the large cities are blue enough that I'm not worried about hordes of unvaccinated as I go about my daily business.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Novavax efficacy trial results in: 90.4%
Maryland-based Novavax makes vaccines by sticking proteins onto microscopic particles. They were the first company to release Phase 3 trials showing that a protein-based vaccine provides strong protection against Covid-19. In a study on nearly 30,000 volunteers in the United States in Mexico, they estimated the vaccine’s efficacy at 90.4 percent.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Folks, I got a haircut today for the first time in ~16 months.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Sellout...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My neck is cold.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've had one haircut in that same period, last October.

I am now at the same point I was then, am I going to get it cut or am I going to be a 51-year old man with long hair?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You're old. I think as a spry 50 year old I was able to pull off the long hair, but I don't know about at 51.

I'm going into the office to work for the first time since this started on Thursday (I did go in once for a quick trip to pick up some items I needed) so I figured I should make myself look presentable to avoid having security called on me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm Folks, I got a haircut today for the first time in ~16 months.
ah man, you ditched the pig tails?
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My wife refused to braid my hair anymore, so what's the point?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've been cutting my own hair since last March. It started off.... poorly. But I've since gotten some better clippers that make it a lot easier. I'm not sure anyone would confuse it with a professional haircut, but it does the job just fine for me. Of course, I can't really see what's going on on the back of my head....
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I had long hair for the first half of the last decade so this is familiar territory. What I'm unsure of is whether I want to stay in it. It's a lot of trouble, and it's hot in the summer. But you fit in better at metal concerts.

I've never had a beard this long though. I've always wanted to try growing a long one, but found it too frustrating. Unfortunately I'm not completely pleased with the results.

I'll also have to decide what to do when I'm eventually recalled to the office. But it's not a particularly professional joint and I'm working nights right now, so I have options.
Last edited by Sudy on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Get the beard styled by a pro before you destroy it. They will likely have advice and tips.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:07 pm I've been cutting my own hair since last March. It started off.... poorly. But I've since gotten some better clippers that make it a lot easier. I'm not sure anyone would confuse it with a professional haircut, but it does the job just fine for me. Of course, I can't really see what's going on on the back of my head....
I too bought some clippers and have barbered myself three times, thereby recouping the cost and then some. Wife helps me with the back and sides. It's adequate for someone who works at home anyway; I have very little human contact, and my haircut isn't prominent in a Zoom window.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Been using clippers for at least 15 years now. Not bad for a ~$25 investment. I did somewhat recently drop down to only using a 2 spacer now. So it's pretty short. Makes it far more manageable. And causes less problems with the VR headset strap.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Funny, I have decided to get a haircut tomorrow since I too will be returning to the office on Thursday for the first time in a long time.

I've been in the building plenty over the course of the year but I just scurry down the employee elevator to my office in the basement where there are now two people working where there were a hundred previously.

But now...I've got to go Upstairs, to Mahogany Row to retrieve equipment from fired or retired executives' offices. There is a VERY professional AA that I will be dealing with and I don't want to disappoint her with how far I have let myself slide. Plus, I'm about to get fired too and I need her as a reference...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My cutter opened June or July last year. Didn't get to realize much in the way of savings.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks to my preference for a shaved head, I haven't been in a barber chair since the early 90s.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Does your wife wear sunglasses?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Sudy wrote:I had long hair for the first half of the last decade so this is familiar territory. What I'm unsure of is whether I want to stay in it. It's a lot of trouble, and it's hot in the summer. But you fit in better at metal concerts.

I've never had a beard this long though. I've always wanted to try growing a long one, but found it too frustrating. Unfortunately I'm not completely pleased with the results.

I'll also have to decide what to do when I'm eventually recalled to the office. But it's not a particularly professional joint and I'm working nights right now, so I have options.
I have not shaved since December and my beard is long and glorious, but shaggy. I love it and want to keep it and not screw it up myself.

However, I'm very nervous about going in for a professional shave. Not sure what I'm going to do.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ah haircuts. So I had this lady who had literally been cutting my hair since I was in my late teens. She was really good, but she kept moving from salon to fancy salon to fancier salon and prices kept going up and up and up. But it was a gradual thing, sort of like a frog being boiled, until I was paying like double what I actually wanted to pay for a haircut out of loyalty. Which is dumb, I know, but I'm just the kind of person that would feel bad about saying "Hey, I know you've literally cut my hair for TWO DECADES but I've decided to start seeing other people."

So then COVID happened, and I had an excuse not to go back since they weren't open. My wife cut my hair for several months, ranging from "that looks pretty good!" to "Oh well, I'm not going in public anyway." Once my regular place opened back up I just never made another appointment and kind of ghosted them.

I still needed to find someone to cut my hair, so I finally broke down and went to a chain haircut place, figuring it couldn't be any worse than what my wife was doing. I wound up absolutely loving it, and now I've got a regular over there that charges half of what I was paying for a cut I like much better than my old one. So life lesson learned.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife sent me to her hairdresser to keep our exposure bubble small. There was no savings but she loves to hear family stories.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 pm I still needed to find someone to cut my hair, so I finally broke down and went to a chain haircut place, figuring it couldn't be any worse than what my wife was doing. I wound up absolutely loving it, and now I've got a regular over there that charges half of what I was paying for a cut I like much better than my old one. So life lesson learned.
In the before times I used to go to a chain store within walking distance. It started as BoRics, then became Great Cuts, then became Supercuts. I went there 2-3x a year for at least 25 years, I rarely see the same people twice, and nobody knows I'm a 25-year regular or knows the history of their business, or even cares. It is probably the longest I've ever patronized a business without forming any kind of relationship beyond "it's convenient and cheap," because everyone but me is just passing through.

It the time before the before times, when even dbt1949 was young, me and my dad got haircuts together from a barber named Lester the Barber (I assume). When Les moved across town, we made the drive. When Les retired, he put a chair in his basement and kept serving his lifelong customers. They had a ritual where Les refused to take my dad's money because he loved cutting hair so much, so dad would put a $20 on the counter to pay for Les's greens fees. $20 was a lot to pay for two haircuts in the 1970s.

Eventually Les got too old to do that and/or I got too old to want to go there, but he gave me every haircut from my first until my mid-teens.

Check your local listings for Episode 2 of Kraken's Hair -- "When Hair Stylists Got Sexy."

(edit) On topic: Nobody had covid then.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That’s because your barber was there ready to protect society from the first signs of sickness.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon