2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

raydude

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by raydude »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:01 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:38 am Florida's new Surgeon General is anti-mask and anti-vaccine mandates. What could go wrong?
Nothing. They're essentially already following his plan.
So, I get that people aren't dying enough to cause Santis to change his mind but what about economic pressure? Each death is one less person in the workforce. At some point, critical businesses are going to feel the hit as there are not enough healthy workers.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

raydude wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:54 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:01 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:38 am Florida's new Surgeon General is anti-mask and anti-vaccine mandates. What could go wrong?
Nothing. They're essentially already following his plan.
So, I get that people aren't dying enough to cause Santis to change his mind but what about economic pressure? Each death is one less person in the workforce. At some point, critical businesses are going to feel the hit as there are not enough healthy workers.
Do these "critical" businesses donate to his campaign?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Blame the shortage on the Dems giving away free money. Which is totally what they are doing. I see countless stories of restaurants going out of business because they can't hire people. The extra benefits ended but that's not stopping them from blaming it. :roll:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This can't be real, right? If so, I guess we can expect a shortage of snake bite kits soon? JFC already.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

uhh, would that do anything? I assume not - seems like the person would wind up vaccinated after this process, right? So maybe we should push this?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think the vaccine itself will not be affected, but it should pull out the 5G chip.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:08 pm uhh, would that do anything? I assume not - seems like the person would wind up vaccinated after this process, right? So maybe we should push this?
Amazingly, the immune system reacts instantly. Like, if you immediately had your arm chopped off, the vaccine would still be effective. It's weird.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:20 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:08 pm uhh, would that do anything? I assume not - seems like the person would wind up vaccinated after this process, right? So maybe we should push this?
Amazingly, the immune system reacts instantly. Like, if you immediately had your arm chopped off, the vaccine would still be effective. It's weird.
Could we get them to chop off their arm and have them believe tourniquets are the invention of the DEMs?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:49 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:22 pm She brought it up today but they literally aren't planning for any of this stuff.
If she gets her hands on the work memo that indicated the pandemic is over, I'd like a copy.
Still no memo but they're as of today they are now out of several raw materials from their suppliers. They also manufacture raws for food and cosmetics but Ida remnants flooded/destroyed part of the production facility so....

Maybe unrelated but we've have had a steady drumbeat of cancelled Amazon and Chewy subscriptions for various food products the last month. Our specialty cat food? Unavailable everywhere. I went to Lidl *and* Trader Joe last night to be able to piece together my shopping list. It looks like a lesser version of mid-April. The only reason I'm mentioning this is just now we just sat on the phone with Walgreens while they searched for a prescription. My wife tried to pick it up 3 weeks ago but they only had 1 of 3. She kept chasing them and they just did a wide search and found "a few" 30 miles away. There is some really weird shit happening right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:58 pm This truck drove around Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte before the Panthers game this past Sunday:

Does that building sometimes flip upside down?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm This can't be real, right? If so, I guess we can expect a shortage of snake bite kits soon? JFC already.

Enlarge Image
Given that venom extractors are also psuedoscience, I say to spread this far and wide. The anti-vaxxers can go get 'de-vaccinated' all day long.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Snake Bite Foundation
The scientific reasons that venom cannot be easily sucked out of a wound are multifaceted but a basic explanation is that:

(a) venom is composed of a range of different sized molecules that rapidly diffuse into various tissue compartments including the intravascular and extracellular spaces and spread away from the site of the bite. They don’t just sit in a perfect and easily accessible chamber waiting to be sucked out again. Careful examination of one of the main studies Sawyer cites as a reason to buy their product revealed that the serosanguinous fluid sucked out of the wound was only 1/10,000th the concentration of rattlesnake venom, meaning that it extracted virtually nothing at all.

(b) fangs are curved and tissues slide back and forth in the body, the combination of which leaves the venom with no open path straight back to the surface where it could be sucked out of. Interestingly, studies have found that there was more venom in fluid allowed to leak from the wound naturally than there was in samples obtained after use of the Sawyer Extractor. It seems that the Sawyer extractor not only fails to suck fluid out of the wounds but actually collapses the wound tracts near the surface by drawing the skin up into the suction cup and may actually force that venom even deeper into the tissues. Oops!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:04 pm (Also, that Boone Oakley sign is annoying, what is that?)
It's the ad agency (literally) behind the "funeral home" vaccination ad campaign.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

At what point can we conclude that the world would be better off with the Antivaxx crowd? I mean I sorta feel bad for their families, and really feel bad for the people in their orbit that they will take down most of all... But I'm kinda rooting for the virus. Its going to kill a lot of our political enemies.

I know I'm horrid. But with elections getting even closer. I wonder if historians will look back and finger COVID as one of the things that threw the elections our way.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How's that weeklong break going?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:31 pm How's that weeklong break going?
Yeah I know I should have taken the second weeklong break. Any time I take time away from my computer seems to be a great time in my RL.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 pm I mean I sorta feel bad for their families, and really feel bad for the people in their orbit that they will take down most of all...
I don't get that impression.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Lovely, we have reports of anti-mask store owner in Elk Grove (near Sacramento), California, where father and 8-year-old daughter was told "take off your mask or leave", yes, even for the little girl. This is in direct contradiction of Sacramento County's mask mandate. However, there's currently no enforcement or penalties for violators.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:49 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:58 pm This truck drove around Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte before the Panthers game this past Sunday:

Enlarge Image
No, but the only ones who come there for Oakley are bats.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:49 pm

It's slowly rolling down the hill.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am Lovely, we have reports of anti-mask store owner in Elk Grove (near Sacramento), California, where father and 8-year-old daughter was told "take off your mask or leave", yes, even for the little girl. This is in direct contradiction of Sacramento County's mask mandate. However, there's currently no enforcement or penalties for violators.
Gezus. Elk Grove, CA where MHS and I (and my step-mother) were last weekend for my SIL's celebration of life. (My step-mother was born and raised in Elk Grove Village, a Chicago suburb near O'Hare...)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Vaccine mandates are getting real in Ontario's healthcare sector.

172 Windsor, Ont., hospital staff suspended without pay for not getting COVID-19 shots
About 172 staff members at Windsor, Ont., hospitals have been suspended without pay for not getting their COVID-19 shots by the deadlines set out by their employers.

Windsor Regional Hospital (WRH) and Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare (HDGH) both have policies mandating that as of Wednesday, Sept. 22, all staff and physicians must have had at least one dose of the vaccine to continue working unless an approved exemption is provided.

WRH confirmed in a news release that 96 per cent of its employees are fully vaccinated, but as of Wednesday, 140 employees plus seven professional staff members had not complied, with 84 of them considered clinical staff. The staff who have not complied are now also placed on a two-week unpaid leave.

An official at HDGH confirmed the hospital has a 96 per cent vaccination rate. However, as of Wednesday morning, 32 employees have been suspended without pay.
Meanwhile, the suspended employees at HDGH have until Oct. 6 to get their first vaccinations, or face "termination with cause," according to a representative.

Staff at WRH have until Oct. 7 to do the same, or face termination or having their privileges suspended.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Meal wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:25 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am Lovely, we have reports of anti-mask store owner in Elk Grove (near Sacramento), California, where father and 8-year-old daughter was told "take off your mask or leave", yes, even for the little girl. This is in direct contradiction of Sacramento County's mask mandate. However, there's currently no enforcement or penalties for violators.
Gezus. Elk Grove, CA where MHS and I (and my step-mother) were last weekend for my SIL's celebration of life. (My step-mother was born and raised in Elk Grove Village, a Chicago suburb near O'Hare...)
Say hi next time! We were probably just a few miles away. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hell to the yes.

NEW: Delta Air Lines says it has banned 1,600 people from flying and it is calling on other airlines to share their internal no-fly lists of unruly passengers, saying in a memo, “A list of banned customers doesn’t work as well if that customer can fly with another airline.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Covid cancel culture!

:angry-screaming:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, but...I'm still nervous about the inevitable abuses that'll happen from airlines having a coordinated "don't fly this person" list.
Black Lives Matter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

In other news, Dutch 12-year old boy has won a court battle to get COVID vaccine so he can spend time with end-stage cancer grandma. His father is antivax, his mother is provax. Dutch law says under-17 needs both parents to consent, but if parents disagree, a judge is allowed to be the tiebreaker.

Meanwhile, in Quebec, Canada, a man walked into a pharmacy and punched a nurse for giving his wife the COVID vaccine without his permission. Unfortunately, there's no surveillance video, and the police needs some help in apprehending this COVIDiot.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

For all the assholes who don't get vaccinated and then kill themselves and the people around them.

Hope they spend eternity in hell living the last five minutes of their lives, choking in their own broth, thinking about the family members and friends they killed with their willingness to be deceived.
Last edited by Drazzil on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:15 pm Hell to the yes.

NEW: Delta Air Lines says it has banned 1,600 people from flying and it is calling on other airlines to share their internal no-fly lists of unruly passengers, saying in a memo, “A list of banned customers doesn’t work as well if that customer can fly with another airline.”
But that's corporate communism! FREEDOMMM!!!!!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm For all the assholes who don't get vaccinated and then kill themselves and the people around them.

Hope they spend eternity in hell living the last five minutes of their lives, choking in their own broth, thinking about the family members and friends they killed with their willingness to be deceived.
How's therapy going?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:50 pm But that's corporate communism! FREEDOMMM!!!!!
The free hand of the market is only good when it benefits meeeeee! (Or those oligarchs I've been told have my best interests at heart.)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:04 pm
I wonder if the CDC could put some program in place requiring extensive reporting/tracing/documenting on confirmed cases? Enough so to be a significant burden on schools (and thus giving them a financial incentive to minimize cases, and thus acting as a de-facto mask mandate.) It was essentially what Indiana did that pushed my son's school into mandatory masking.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm Yeah, but...I'm still nervous about the inevitable abuses that'll happen from airlines having a coordinated "don't fly this person" list.
I agree. For something like this to be universal there would need to be some transparency, including documentation of the incident plus an appeal/review process. Being completely blocked from flying could end careers, prevent family from being there for loved ones, and have major impacts on the people around that person. If it is completely at the airlines' whims, it would just take a Captain who doesn't like someone's shirt to cause major damage.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm I wonder if the CDC could put some program in place requiring extensive reporting/tracing/documenting on confirmed cases? Enough so to be a significant burden on schools (and thus giving them a financial incentive to minimize cases, and thus acting as a de-facto mask mandate.) It was essentially what Indiana did that pushed my son's school into mandatory masking.
States should already being doing enough of this to have excellent data. "Should" is the operative word here.

In other news, we never learn. 19+ months later and part of the plan involves trusting people to do the right thing. JFC already.

"CDC puts faith in ‘self-attestation’ of Americans to not get a booster before they’re eligible". That has as much chance to succeed as the May announcement to drop need for masks except in the unvaccinated
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My entire town seems to be a Russian roulette wanna be. Ive never seen so many obese people of all ages maskless waddling around. Its like Emperor Penguins strutting their stuff to the beat of a death metal band where death is literal. People aren't afraid or dont seem to care. They dare Covid to get them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hypothetically, I am eligible for a booster now as I'm 51 and diabetic. Right?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:49 pm Hypothetically, I am eligible for a booster now as I'm 51 and diabetic. Right?
Assuming you did receive the Pfizer vaccination originally (that seems to be a point of confusion), yes.
Individuals 65 years of age and older
Individuals 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19
Individuals 18 through 64 years of age whose frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2 puts them at high risk of serious complications of COVID-19 including severe COVID-
Here's the list of "at high risk of severe COVID-19", from the CDC.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm I wonder if the CDC could put some program in place requiring extensive reporting/tracing/documenting on confirmed cases? Enough so to be a significant burden on schools (and thus giving them a financial incentive to minimize cases, and thus acting as a de-facto mask mandate.) It was essentially what Indiana did that pushed my son's school into mandatory masking.
States should already being doing enough of this to have excellent data. "Should" is the operative word here.
Data, schmata. I'm not talking about actually gathering information for information's sake, I'm talking about making students getting sick so effing unpleasant for the school that they require masks to lessen their own workload. Appealing to their self-interest, in other words, as that seems to be the only motivator that works.

As a reminder, Indiana laid down policies that required extensive contact tracing (obnoxious, expensive workload for schools.) The Governor then allowed kids who wore masks at all times around the affected student to be exempt as a close contact. Perhaps not the best approach, but the result was that the schools started requiring masks, not to protect the students, but to make their own jobs easier.

The federal government keeps getting their stick taken away. They need to start using the carrot instead. If people are going to be selfish, use their selfishness to control them. *Bond villain laugh*