Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:40 am
Archinerd wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am One of my work friends said he fell asleep trying to watch it last night.
i fall asleep watching stuff (even good stuff) all the time. That's the peril of only being able to watch something starting at 10:00 pm or later . . . .

I'll probably try to watch this tonight, but I suspect I'll fall asleep midway and have to figure out where to restart it for attempt two at some point.
Also just an age thing. The sofa in our living room gets a LOT of pre-midnight ‘z’s’ these days.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:51 am
Archinerd wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am One of my work friends said he fell asleep trying to watch it last night.
i fall asleep watching stuff (even good stuff) all the time. That's the peril of only being able to watch something starting at 10:00 pm or later . . . .

I'll probably try to watch this tonight, but I suspect I'll fall asleep midway and have to figure out where to restart it for attempt two at some point.
Also just an age thing. The sofa in our living room gets a LOT of pre-midnight ‘z’s’ these days.
He's only 35, not like you old farts.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is this available by streaming or theater only?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Theater and HBOMax.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:51 am

He's only 35, not like you old farts.
Heh. Ok, retracted! :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just finished watching on HBO Max and loved every minute of it.

Only two quibbles:

First, I thought Lady Jessica came across a little weaker than she should have. I've always thought of Jessica as a badass in the books and here they are downplaying it.
Second, I knew this going into it but this is only about half of the story, just kind of ends, and it is going to be a long wait for the follow-up.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Lady Jessica was a badass in this movie. I didn't really see a difference between the book and the film there.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I guess my issue was more of her body language. Very emotional and shaky as opposed to cold and commanding. It’s possible that she grows into that type of role though after her experiences in the first part.

Just little things too that are missing because of the lack of inner monologues.
Spoiler,
Spoiler:
During Paul’s test in the book it mentions that had he failed, she would have immediately tried to kill the reverend mother even if it led to her immediate death. The depiction in the movie did not portray that she possesses that level of forcefulness or contempt.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So, I hope you can excuse my patheticocity, but I have literally no knowledge of Dune other than "the spice must flow" and the existence of sandworms. I do enjoy epic sci-fi/fantasy. Should I see this?

Bonus, I have HBO Max in a room with a 4k HDR projector, 7.1 surround and ~100" screen, so it's "free."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:39 pm I guess my issue was more of her body language. Very emotional and shaky as opposed to cold and commanding. It’s possible that she grows into that type of role though after her experiences in the first part.

Just little things too that are missing because of the lack of inner monologues.
Spoiler,
Spoiler:
During Paul’s test in the book it mentions that had he failed, she would have immediately tried to kill the reverend mother even if it led to her immediate death. The depiction in the movie did not portray that she possesses that level of forcefulness or contempt.
My copy isn't nearby, but I can't remember that sentiment being expressed in the book.
Spoiler:
In the book, Jessica is very shaken by the Reverend Mother. She tells her that she both loves and hates her, but I can't recall any will to oppose her. She feels absolutely helpless as she waits outside the door during the Test, and that's what we see in the movie.
In the first half of the book, most of Jessica's strength is in defending her choice to bear a son for Leto. This movie lacks a lot of that because it doesn't have much time for her to dialogue with the Reverend Mother.
Spoiler:
She really comes into her own power as a Reverend Mother in Part Two.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm So, I hope you can excuse my patheticocity, but I have literally no knowledge of Dune other than "the spice must flow" and the existence of sandworms. I do enjoy epic sci-fi/fantasy. Should I see this?

Bonus, I have HBO Max in a room with a 4k HDR projector, 7.1 surround and ~100" screen, so it's "free."
Did you like other Villeneuve SF films (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, etc)? If so, this is a must-see.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm So, I hope you can excuse my patheticocity, but I have literally no knowledge of Dune other than "the spice must flow" and the existence of sandworms. I do enjoy epic sci-fi/fantasy. Should I see this?

Did you like other Villeneuve SF films (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, etc)? If so, this is a must-see.
It looks Arrival is the only thing in his filmography I have ever seen and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Searching his name got me this headline:
Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ Can Convert Any Sandworm Virgin

I guess I'll give it a look.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, I'm only a half hour in, but it is so refreshing to see a space opera movie with high production values that is not Star Wars or Star Trek. And the narrative is more clear and concise than I remember from the book, not to mention that muddled mess from 1984.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Saw it in IMax. Enjoyed it. I can see touches of The Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 in it. I purposely avoided any trailers other information and was surprised to see it was Part 1. I am only disappointed in having to wait for the rest. I will give it 7.5 tentacles.
Spoiler:
My only complaint is Jessica seems to be portrayed as too weak and not very well in control of her emotions. I do not fault the actress for this. We shall see how she is in the second half.
words
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Montag wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:20 pm
Spoiler:
My only complaint is Jessica seems to be portrayed as too weak and not very well in control of her emotions. I do not fault the actress for this. We shall see how she is in the second half.
Spoiler:
Ugh, this is disappointing, it means there was no thought given to what the Bene Gesserit actually were. That seems a huge disservice to the character.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Maybe that will be in the full ass version.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:50 pm Maybe that will be in the full ass version.
Then it would be worth the wait.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumor is that there will be a quarter ass version for tv.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 pm Rumor is that there will be a quarter ass version for tv.
Do they go all-in and trim it to 4:3 aspect ratio?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What’ya looking for, a 1/8 ass version?
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:56 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 pm Rumor is that there will be a quarter ass version for tv.
Portrait mode for the Tik-Tok crowd.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm
So in the second movie, we can look forward to Paul and Feyd having a dance-off?
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I saw it last night and really, REALLY enjoyed it. It moved slow in parts, but even then it it obviously setting up the next big set piece. I was amazed at how much of the Lynch version was present, but then again I guess that's a testament to how much of the source material they both tried to get in. I've only dabbled in the book as a youth, but from what I remember, Chalamet is a much more appropriate choice over McLaughlin. He knocked out of the park, as did all the other choices. My wife was shocked every time a new actor appeared that she recognized. I thought it would be way too plodding for her, but she really liked it.

Excited for Part 2.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's damning it with faint praise. Lynch's version was an unmitigated disaster IMO. Any relation to it is certainly NOT a good thing.

And if you dare to disagree with me, I will channel my inner-Sting and I WILL KILL YOU!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You REALLY want to hate this movie, don’t you? :lol:
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife and I watched it tonight. She's a complete Dune newbie, I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book which I had not read since a teen. We both loved it. It does a fantastic job with the world-building.

I guess my only complaint is that it's only part one, and I don't want to wait for part two!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Saw this in the movie theater tonight and really liked it. I re-read the book earlier this year, for the first time since I was like 14, and I'm impressed by how closely they hewed to the text.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I have severe FOMO right now. I won't see this until Sunday earliest. My wife is away and I promised not to watch it until she gets back.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 pm You REALLY want to hate this movie, don’t you? :lol:
No, I really want to love it. I'm only responding to the multitude of negative stuff others are posting. I really don't see how a meek and weak Jessica is going to be anything close to the text where she is anything but.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What “multitude of negative stuff”? :?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:48 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 pm You REALLY want to hate this movie, don’t you? :lol:
No, I really want to love it. I'm only responding to the multitude of negative stuff others are posting. I really don't see how a meek and weak Jessica is going to be anything close to the text where she is anything but.
She's not Atomic Blonde, but seems to be a pretty strong willed mother.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:48 pm
She's not Atomic Blonde, but seems to be a pretty strong willed mother.
I thought she was kind of a weenie. The only times she ever came across as confident was at the beginning, talking to the son, and her fight scene. That said, having not read the books, the only preconceptions I had about her were from this thread.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I just wonder why she didn't use The Voice more, it's pretty bad ass. Is there a limited mana pool or some shit?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

decided to shell out for the '4DX' viewing - that was kinda interesting. the 4DX trailers for the new Spider Man and The Immortals beforehand overdid this gimmick and made me a bit physically ill, so i thought they were going to totally overdo the seat-shaking, but it was fine. would have been cool to have 3D at the same time.

but anyways, i was not disappointed. the cinematography and sound design were what i was hoping for. Shai Hulud! Muad'Dib! but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay. i was fine with most of the casting - except for Duke Leto.
Formix

Post by Formix »

We watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I may have required an occasional nudge from my wife in the last hour due to me being an old fart. I see a LOT of nods to other films in here, and I too missed the inner monolog. I get why you don't do it, but for some of the more "wheels within wheels" stuff, you miss it. It felt like they weren't on Dune long enough before the attack, somehow that felt rushed to me.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:56 am I just wonder why she didn't use The Voice more, it's pretty bad ass. Is there a limited mana pool or some shit?
In the novel, she attempts to use the Voice on the Fremen they meet (on Jamis, specifically, at the start of the fight). Jamis complains "the witch is trying to cast a spell on me!" which is against the rules, so she abides. (The Fremen are already acquainted with the Bene Gesserit). This exchange isn't part of the movie, so I understand your confusion there.

I don't understand the critique that Jessica displays emotion though. She only ever does it when she's alone or with her son, and I read it as being conflicted about her Bene Gesserit responsibilities and the love she feels for her son. Bene Gesserit aren't void of emotion you know, they're just as human as anyone else, they're just capable of hiding it from others when they wish. In the book, she's terrified when the Reverend Mother tests Paul, knowing it could mean his death. She is described to love her Duke greatly, and is shattered when she feels he has died.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Formix wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:19 amand I too missed the inner monolog.
Yech, good riddance. Voiceovers are terrible for cinema. Really amateurish of Lynch to even think of using it back then. Inner motivation need to be acted out performatively in dramatics, or else incorporated in dialogue.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm
So in the second movie, we can look forward to Paul and Feyd having a dance-off?
Dancing and fighting, there' no difference. ;)
Is there anyone in hell?

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched it last night and loved it. Every scene was visually striking and I thought the movie was pretty easy to follow, as did my girlfriend who had never read the book. The only thing I thought they could’ve made clearer was
Spoiler:
why the Emperor went through all this trouble to betray House Atreides. They briefly mentioned that the emperor thought they were getting too powerful/getting an army that could rival his, but you don’t really see much evidence of that. And the whole plan seemed pretty convoluted.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am decided to shell out for the '4DX' viewing - that was kinda interesting. the 4DX trailers for the new Spider Man and The Immortals beforehand overdid this gimmick and made me a bit physically ill, so i thought they were going to totally overdo the seat-shaking, but it was fine. would have been cool to have 3D at the same time.
I wanted to try the 4DX thing, but Archinerd, Seppe and Zarathud (who then bailed on us) insisted that they were too old and that the added stimuli would confuse and perhaps unsettle them.

What else happens during that kind of showing? I read that they actually do more than just shake seats.
He won. Period.