Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by AWS260 »

Lagom Lite wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:22 am
Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:56 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 pm Rumor is that there will be a quarter ass version for tv.
Do they go all-in and trim it to 4:3 aspect ratio?
Portrait mode for the Tik-Tok crowd.
So in the second movie, we can look forward to Paul and Feyd having a dance-off?
Dancing and fighting, there' no difference. ;)
Dancing without rhythm.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:16 am Watched it last night and loved it. Every scene was visually striking and I thought the movie was pretty easy to follow, as did my girlfriend who had never read the book. The only thing I thought they could’ve made clearer was
Spoiler:
why the Emperor went through all this trouble to betray House Atreides. They briefly mentioned that the emperor thought they were getting too powerful/getting an army that could rival his, but you don’t really see much evidence of that. And the whole plan seemed pretty convoluted.
The reasoning is spelled out, but in the movie it comes in a so-quick-you-could-miss-it kind of way:
Spoiler:
Duke Leto tells Paul that the other Great Houses look to him for leadership.

The Reverend Mother informs the Baron that the Emperor is on board to help them destroy the Atreides, but that his involvement (support from the Sardaukar) must remain secret. The Baron notes that there are no satellites over Dune (this is true to the book), so no outsiders will see.

Basically, the Emperor sees an Atriedes-led coalition of Great Houses as a threat to his power, so he wants the Atreides eliminated. But he can't directly attack the Atreides without provoking a larger war. We do get all this in the script.

Not mentioned in the movie but pointed out in the book is that the Atreides and Harkonnens are already in a state of "kanly" (a formally declared feud), so other Other Great Houses will not become involved in violence between the two.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:16 am Watched it last night and loved it. Every scene was visually striking and I thought the movie was pretty easy to follow, as did my girlfriend who had never read the book. The only thing I thought they could’ve made clearer was
Spoiler:
why the Emperor went through all this trouble to betray House Atreides. They briefly mentioned that the emperor thought they were getting too powerful/getting an army that could rival his, but you don’t really see much evidence of that. And the whole plan seemed pretty convoluted.
Spoiler:
It's not about armies, it's about politics in "the Landsraad" (Senate-ish) - the Emperor needs the support of other Great Houses in the Imperium, of which there are loads. Without it, his power is marginalized even with his elite Sardaukar troops. Duke Atreides, being a good and honorable guy, is becoming very popular among the other Great Houses and could become a challenger to the Emperor.

It's a classic case of divida et impera. The Baron goes along with it because he hates the Duke and wants to end him.

The treachery isn't that the Harkonnen launches an invasion (that sort of thing is a normal part of feudal politics), it's that they launch an invasion supported by three legions of elite Imperial troops, without which it might not succeed. In the novel, the Sardaukar are disguised as Harkonnen troops. It's all a ruse to give the Emperor plausible deniability of involvement.

The plan is:

1. Get all the Atreides away from Caladan and onto Arrakis. Make sure everything is sabotaged and banged up.
2. Give three Imperial Sardaukar legions to the Harkonnen in secret.
3. The Baron invades and genocides all the Atreides.
4. Later on in the Landsraad, the Emperor can denounce Harkonnen actions but only dole out a symbolic punishment. Give back Arrakis to the Baron. Problem solved.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lagom Lite wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:14 am
Formix wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:19 amand I too missed the inner monolog.
Yech, good riddance. Voiceovers are terrible for cinema. Really amateurish of Lynch to even think of using it back then. Inner motivation need to be acted out performatively in dramatics, or else incorporated in dialogue.
This. Voiceovers seem to indicate the director couldn't adequately portray the story. Or the movie execs couldn't follow it, e.g. Blade Runner.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm generally not a fan, but they can work in noir crime films.

Sunset Boulevard, The Third Man, etc.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But not Dark City.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay.
and the Spacing Guild! perhaps the idea of getting too many factions involved could have overcomplicated the film flow, but i liked it in the book.
hepcat wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:55 am
I wanted to try the 4DX thing, but Archinerd, Seppe and Zarathud (who then bailed on us) insisted that they were too old and that the added stimuli would confuse and perhaps unsettle them.

What else happens during that kind of showing? I read that they actually do more than just shake seats.
you also get strobe lights, specific back lighting on the screen (for some scenes), breezes in the theater and puffs of air for the seat, mist (theater wide and individual, the latter of which can be disabled on the seat console), the whole sub-aisle of seats can roll, bank and tilt around, and 'stabbed in the back' (specific pokers in the seat itself). i went with a few people from my bike club - two thought it all was slightly distracting, two turned off the water feature and one complained of mild whiplash afterwards. again, i was ok with it, but if it had been constant (like in the two Marvel 4DX trailers), i would have not been feeling well afterwards.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay.
and the Spacing Guild! perhaps the idea of getting too many factions involved could have overcomplicated the film flow, but i liked it in the book.
The Spacing Guild is mentioned but doesn't have much of a presence in the first half of the book. (In the movie you do seem some early-stage guildsmen arrive with the Emperor's envoy on Caladan: they're wearing helmets filled with orange spice gas.)

In the novel, the only guildsmen we see are in the final pages, and they look like regular humans (in fact wearing contact lenses to conceal their spice-addicted eyes). David Lynch's scene with the Emperor and the big Navigator is completely invented. Herbert doesn't show us a Navigator until the second novel.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We've already talked about how Feyd-Rautha isn't in this movie and will but probably be introduced at the start of Part Two.

But there's another missing character I wonder about...
Spoiler:
Count Fenrig also isn't in the first part of the novel, but I hope he won't be completely erased. If he does appear, I wonder if he might actually be the Emperor's envoy who brought the paperwork to Caladan. There would be some narrative economy in that.

It's possible that we won't have him, though, especially since Lady Fenrig's note to Jessica wasn't included in the script.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Tried reading the book years ago, got bored. Never liked the previous movies.

Was mildly excited for this (don't know why) asked for the complete book series for Xmas. Watched the 1st 50 minutes in two sittings, only to have fallen asleep.

Just boring. The movie just basically starts with not much explanation, and the scenes just jump around, making it hard to follow.

Wondering if I should take the books off my list, but my parents already done their shopping, and knowing my dad who is a huge Dune fan probably already bought it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm Did we know this would be the case during the initial LOTR run? I did not, I was not expecting a forthcoming full-assed version so I got suckered into the half-assed version (but it was at Zaxxon's house, so that reduced the sting some).
That's actually the half-assed version. It's a very long con.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Got Wife's buy-in to watch this tonight, or at least to start it. Will probably break it into two nights; 2.5 hours is a heavy lift.

I read the trilogy at least twice, but the last time was just about 40 years ago so I only remember bits and pieces. Didn't like the previous movie. Wife thinks she started the first book once but didn't finish it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 pm Got Wife's buy-in to watch this tonight, or at least to start it. Will probably break it into two nights; 2.5 hours is a heavy lift.

I read the trilogy at least twice, but the last time was just about 40 years ago so I only remember bits and pieces. Didn't like the previous movie. Wife thinks she started the first book once but didn't finish it.
Did you watch the miniserieses? (they did the Dune Messiah, too)
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:59 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm Did we know this would be the case during the initial LOTR run? I did not, I was not expecting a forthcoming full-assed version so I got suckered into the half-assed version (but it was at Zaxxon's house, so that reduced the sting some).
And Zaxxon lives much further away now.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jeff V wrote:
Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 pm Got Wife's buy-in to watch this tonight, or at least to start it. Will probably break it into two nights; 2.5 hours is a heavy lift.

Really? I need to watch that again. Dune Messiah is essential to the overall story and leaving it at Dune is a major disservice.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jeff V wrote:
For the record, that was not the half-assed versions of LotR that we watched at Zaxxon's house. That was all 11 hours and 36 glorious minutes of the Extended Editions consumed in one day...along with equally epic amounts of Krispy Kreme donuts, Donato's pizza, and beer Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw it this afternoon and loved it. It did seem to spend a little too much time on the period between
Spoiler:
The fall of House Atreides and Paul and Jessica being accepted by the Fremen to a sietch
but overall I was very happy with the way the story unfolded. They did a fantastic job of explaining enough to let you understand the world of Dune while not bogging the story down with too much detail. I didn’t feel like anything was left out that would confuse an audience that was paying attention. It’s a dense story with a lot of political maneuvering so of course it’s got a lot of moving parts.

I also disagree with the belief that
Spoiler:
Lady Jessica was meek or cowering. She only expressed doubt and fear when she was alone or with the elder Bene Gesserit. And only then because her enemy was fate itself. Her fear was for the men she loved, the Duke and her son. As we see in her confrontations with soldiers and other enemies of flesh, she’s a major ass kicker.
As for the soundtrack, I thought it captured the Lawrence of Arabia feel they were obviously going for.

I do wish someone had told the Fremen that adding goggles to their damn stillsuits would be a good decision on a planet with sandstorms though.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I enjoyed the first 1.5 hours and will polish it off tomorrow night. It captured the feel of the book as I remember it. The production is top-notch.

I do wish they'd shot the whole thing as a 5-6 part miniseries rather than breaking it into two widely separated movies, but I understand that there are still people who go to theaters and they need to cater to that market for awards purposes.

Also, I learned that people who prefer the first movie are called old spicers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t understand how they could have filmed the first one without ensuring the second one was going to be made. The LotR movies were one book chopped into 3 films, so what Dune is doing here isn’t that far out of the norm. But they knew the rest of the story would be told.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Before we got streaming, I was all about movies. Since we've been streaming I've watched series almost exclusively and decided that they're a better format for storytelling, as they can be chopped into as many suitably-sized chapters as the story demands. IDK if I'll ever go to a theater again, so I'm only talking about the home viewing experience.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I want to watch it again.
Holman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:22 pm We've already talked about how Feyd-Rautha isn't in this movie and will but probably be introduced at the start of Part Two.

Spoiler:
Count Fenrig also isn't in the first part of the novel, but I hope he won't be completely erased. If he does appear, I wonder if he might actually be the Emperor's envoy who brought the paperwork to Caladan. There would be some narrative economy in that.

It's possible that we won't have him, though, especially since Lady Fenrig's note to Jessica wasn't included in the script.
Spoiler:
We were talking about Count Fenrig in our movie debrief. Despite having read the book (again) only last year, I can't actually remember what his role is in the story. So... he may not be necessary?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lagom Lite wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:43 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's not about armies, it's about politics in "the Landsraad" (Senate-ish) - the Emperor needs the support of other Great Houses in the Imperium, of which there are loads. Without it, his power is marginalized even with his elite Sardaukar troops. Duke Atreides, being a good and honorable guy, is becoming very popular among the other Great Houses and could become a challenger to the Emperor.

It's a classic case of divida et impera. The Baron goes along with it because he hates the Duke and wants to end him.

The treachery isn't that the Harkonnen launches an invasion (that sort of thing is a normal part of feudal politics), it's that they launch an invasion supported by three legions of elite Imperial troops, without which it might not succeed. In the novel, the Sardaukar are disguised as Harkonnen troops. It's all a ruse to give the Emperor plausible deniability of involvement.

The plan is:

1. Get all the Atreides away from Caladan and onto Arrakis. Make sure everything is sabotaged and banged up.
2. Give three Imperial Sardaukar legions to the Harkonnen in secret.
3. The Baron invades and genocides all the Atreides.
4. Later on in the Landsraad, the Emperor can denounce Harkonnen actions but only dole out a symbolic punishment. Give back Arrakis to the Baron. Problem solved.
Spoiler:
Even at almost 3 hours, we still can't have it all can we? A full explanation of this would probably be bad cinema, but perhaps a few more details here and there could have helped sketch in some of the galactic politics a bit. In the director's cut, they could cut out a minute or two of ornithopter spinning in the sandstorm or Paul and Jessica sliding down a sand dune to make room for it.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Watched it tonight at the theater. Loved it. Will see it again.

It is what the last three Star Wars movies should have been like.

Epic movie and hope it keeps going.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

McNutt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:11 pm
Jeff V wrote:

Really? I need to watch that again. Dune Messiah is essential to the overall story and leaving it at Dune is a major disservice.
You want the Children of Dune miniseries. It was heads and shoulders above the original miniseries in terms of quality and even has some pretty big actors in the lead roles.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:25 pm
Jeff V wrote:
For the record, that was not the half-assed versions of LotR that we watched at Zaxxon's house. That was all 11 hours and 36 glorious minutes of the Extended Editions consumed in one day...along with equally epic amounts of Krispy Kreme donuts, Donato's pizza, and beer Image
We don't do half-assed at my house.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s full ass or nothing at Club Zax!
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Read book first or watch movie? My only Dune knowledge/experience comes from the amazing (at the time) PC game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’ll be fine diving into the movie. It does a good job of covering the major plot points of the book.

But if you want quite a bit more supporting history, read the book afterwards.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is it a situation where seeing the movie first will ruin the book experience for me?

I guess I’m asking if there are sufficient plot twists or surprise endings enough to justify watching the plot vs reading it. (Although this is only part one, so that’s a huge plus for someone in my position).

FWIW I’ve owned the book for years, just never gotten to it. So it’s something I’ve been meaning and wanting to do anyway.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The book has an incredible amount of detail and background. If anything, it will enhance the experience as you’ll know the core story.

I’ve even read the prequels which provide an entire layer of context despite not being as well written or as complex.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here is an excellent review by my man Moid of Media Death Cult:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's spot on. I never once felt I was watching a Hollywood money grab (even though I guess they all are to some extent). It reminded me of a 70s Science Fiction film that focused on the story more than the spectacle...even though this has a TON of spectacle.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 pm I want to watch it again.
Holman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:22 pm We've already talked about how Feyd-Rautha isn't in this movie and will but probably be introduced at the start of Part Two.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
We were talking about Count Fenrig in our movie debrief. Despite having read the book (again) only last year, I can't actually remember what his role is in the story. So... he may not be necessary?
On Fenrig:
Spoiler:
I agree that he's not plot-crucial, but I've always thought he was a neat bit of color and complication. The Count and his Lady in the book reveal some nifty points about Imperial politics, and his refusal to kill Paul at the end (refusing the orders of his friend and Emperor) is very poignant, especially as we realize that Fenrig is a failed candidate for Kwisatz Haderach.
Holman

Post by Holman »

A cool tiny detail that sticks with me:
Spoiler:
By the time they take control of Arrakis, we've been taught that the British-Prussian Atreides are the Good Guys and that the Orc-Troll Harkonnens are the Bad Guys.

But when the Atreides actually land and march out of their ships, they're led by a bagpiper and an almost immediate cut to burka-wearing natives standing and watching. It feels like 19th-century European empire in the Middle East. It really brings home the point that the Atreides are (from the point of view of the Fremen) just more imperialists.
It's the kind of perspective that will probably hit different audiences differently, and it *really* makes me hope that Villeneuve will get to do not just Dune Part 2 but also Dune Messiah.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:25 pm
Jeff V wrote:
Ooops, you are correct. It was afterwards I obtained the full-assed versions, never to be watched again.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In hindsight, I do have to question the musical number about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the film. I'm sure establishing that the Baron Harkonnen can play the french horn seemed like a good idea when writing the script, but having him play a Niel Diamond medley after surviving an attack just didn't work for me.
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:23 pm In hindsight, I do have to question the musical number about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the film. I'm sure establishing that the Baron Harkonnen can play the french horn seemed like a good idea when writing the script, but having him play a Niel Diamond medley after surviving an attack just didn't work for me.
Now you are just straight out taunting Jeff. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:wink:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:23 pm In hindsight, I do have to question the musical number about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the film. I'm sure establishing that the Baron Harkonnen can play the french horn seemed like a good idea when writing the script, but having him play a Niel Diamond medley after surviving an attack just didn't work for me.
I did like Gurney playing Dust In the Wind on the baliset.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

I did like the call back to the Lynch Dune when Gurney finished up that long, long set (a little too long to be honest @ about 45 minutes) and then picked up a pug to carry into battle.