Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Random randomness

Post by gilraen »

He's done some work since then, though. The first "John Wick" movie and guest appearances on L&O: SVU and Brooklyn Nine-Nine and some other small stuff. But yeah, those commercials were great.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yesterday Michelle walked outside and watched a hawk nail a pigeon across the street. The little guy got away and scrambled under a parked car. We went over and collected him and brought him home. The hawk's aim was off, thankfully, and it seems to have mostly grabbed tail feathers. The poor guy's tail is completely gone, but the feathers were just pulled out with no actual injury to the stump. The only other injury was a scratch under the left wing. It wasn't deep, and wasn't located near any organs. It just seems to have been tissue damage.

I have enough experience with birds that I got the bleeding stopped, and we've gotten the little pidge through the worst of it - the stress and shock phase is behind him. Today he's up and active, his eyes bright, his head up and alert. He's walking around, stretching, and eating. That's all great news. We're keeping him warm, quiet, and away from our other pigeon in case he's carrying any feral diseases.

Right now we're concerned with infection, though. We'll be keeping the injury clean with diluted betadine, but we're concerned about what might have gotten into his bloodstream. We're in contact with the nearest avian vet, which is far enough away that going isn't an option, but we're hoping we can get some advice on an antibiotic option. Time will tell.

It is unlikely that this pigeon is going to be able to be returned to the wild, mostly due to the timing and loss of his tail. He won't survive without a tail. The tail will grow back, but that would set any release in the middle of winter after a rehab indoors. That doesn't work due to temperature adaptation. And by the time the weather warms up again, he'll be acclimated to humans. Pigeons who have adapted to humans don't do well on release (they're a domestic species, after all - there are no wild (rock dove) pigeons, just ferals.

So we may have stumbled on a new pet with a possible 15-20 year lifespan. We're not there yet, though - survival is still far from a guarantee. Enough so that we're still using a placeholder name (Pidgename) for the time being.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well best of luck to the little guy. Good thing you saw it go down.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:22 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:01 am
Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:31 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:39 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:50 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:11 pm Window replaced. I did a shit job but I think it will hold and hold the weather out, so that's good.
Did you make sure you got the correct side facing outward?
I can see through it, so I must have.
Both sides appear transparent, the question is do you see an interior or exterior scene.
Uhhhh... Khakis?
You appear to have installed windows that see into the heart of Hepcat’s soul.
You may want to get some curtains.
In my soul, I'm always wearing just chaps and a cowboy hat.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:36 pmIn my soul, I'm always wearing just chaps and a cowboy hat.
Mine too, and I wish I could make it stop.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Windows are great until they blue screen.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:38 pm Yesterday Michelle walked outside and watched a hawk nail a pigeon across the street. The little guy got away and scrambled under a parked car. We went over and collected him and brought him home. The hawk's aim was off, thankfully, and it seems to have mostly grabbed tail feathers. The poor guy's tail is completely gone, but the feathers were just pulled out with no actual injury to the stump. The only other injury was a scratch under the left wing. It wasn't deep, and wasn't located near any organs. It just seems to have been tissue damage.

I have enough experience with birds that I got the bleeding stopped, and we've gotten the little pidge through the worst of it - the stress and shock phase is behind him. Today he's up and active, his eyes bright, his head up and alert. He's walking around, stretching, and eating. That's all great news. We're keeping him warm, quiet, and away from our other pigeon in case he's carrying any feral diseases.

Right now we're concerned with infection, though. We'll be keeping the injury clean with diluted betadine, but we're concerned about what might have gotten into his bloodstream. We're in contact with the nearest avian vet, which is far enough away that going isn't an option, but we're hoping we can get some advice on an antibiotic option. Time will tell.

It is unlikely that this pigeon is going to be able to be returned to the wild, mostly due to the timing and loss of his tail. He won't survive without a tail. The tail will grow back, but that would set any release in the middle of winter after a rehab indoors. That doesn't work due to temperature adaptation. And by the time the weather warms up again, he'll be acclimated to humans. Pigeons who have adapted to humans don't do well on release (they're a domestic species, after all - there are no wild (rock dove) pigeons, just ferals.

So we may have stumbled on a new pet with a possible 15-20 year lifespan. We're not there yet, though - survival is still far from a guarantee. Enough so that we're still using a placeholder name (Pidgename) for the time being.
Pigeons are remarkable in their ability to heal from even the most horrific of wounds/injuries (e.g. Cher Ami: The Pigeon that Saved the Lost Battalion). Often, all they require is a little help from a sympathetic friend, such as the Blackhawk clan. So, if you clean and treat the scratch wound with diluted betadine, [PIDGENAME] likely has a decent prospect of recovery.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Paingod wrote:
hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:36 pmIn my soul, I'm always wearing just chaps and a cowboy hat.
Mine too, and I wish I could make it stop.
This is why you need bleach.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a cold - thanks to my son - the first I've had in two years. I took some NyQuil before bed to get some sleep, and NyQuil always gives me strange dreams. But last night... Ugh. Most dreams are here and gone, taking a few minutes at most. But this dream was all night. I woke up a few times to use the bathroom, or to check the time, and every time I would go back to the same dream. What did I dream about?

Menus.

Convoluted, nested menus. I was looking for something - some function, some setting, whatever, and it was in nested menus and submenus. And I couldn't stop until I found it. And all night long I just kept looking, checking one after another after another. I was so glad when I woke up, knowing I could stop looking through the damned menus.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Food assistance places must be having it rough right now. When it was me and my wife we got 2 bags every 2 months. I get 1 bag every 2 months. But this time the next pickup is Feb so 3 months away.

And my 1 bag had...

4 boxes dry spaghetti. Usually they have a few cans of sauce in there but not this time.
4 cans salmon
3 cans beef (love}
4 jars peanut butter which I dont use and will redonate along with other stuff
5 bags mixed nuts and fruit which I did love but can no longer chew
2 cans peaches.

Was it. I mean theres a few items each time I will use the rest I will redonate of course. But this is just a scratch on the monthly food. Yes Im still grateful. Better than not having a few items.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Our local food bank is running low because their corporate donors are having supply issues to get them the food. They are asking for donations and I think food might be more useful than money at this point. Rough place to be.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:01 pm Our local food bank is running low because their corporate donors are having supply issues to get them the food. They are asking for donations and I think food might be more useful than money at this point. Rough place to be.
My parents are spending about $200 a month feeding the homeless. I only learned this because I was talking about SALT deductions and they can't deduct charity expenses from their taxes anymore any more. In my incredibly selfish way, it makes me sad. They spend $200 a month of food and then mom spends dozens of hours a week preparing it and then most of volunteers to distribute don't show up, so they then spend a couple of days acting as servers/hosts. That's a lot of work for them and more than they should be taking on when they are hitting a point in life where it's getting to be a challenge to take care of themselves and they can't even catch a tax break against their social security checks. (Also, I'm still terrified the mom still isn't getting vaccinated, but that's another selfish story...)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I am going to the dentist today. Its a rough experience for me. I have an anti-anxiety pill to take, and hopefully thats enough to get me through it.
Also, there are strict instructions for the staff not to talk to me about dentist stuff, just get me in the chair, do the thing, and get me out.
I have been stressed about about going for years, but I finally sucked it up enough to go in. I know my teeth are jacked up. I just want them to fix my teeth, and thats it. No upsells, no chit chat, and especially no amatuer psychotherapy about why I don't like the dentist.

It like dude, its not possible for you to understand, because you work in a dentists office. Might as well have a fish try to convince you that that swimming is not scary. One side is literally impossible to see the other sides point of view.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

heheheh dont talk about dentist stuff at the dentist.

Just got back from my dermatologist appointment. First for me. Of the 3 procedures they did the freezing one hurt. The other was a slight prick of the needles and one was a bit feely painy but not much. But that nitro freezing one hurt and then hurt more as I was leaving. It didn't quit hurting until I was home. For decades now Ive had it in my head that the freezing things off must be so easy and pain free...just a little cold and its done. But no that one was the worst. The things you have to learn first hand.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found something at the thrift store my wife would have just loved. If you've ever watched the tv show Castle you know he is a writer and wrote Naked Heat...a fictional book from a fiction writer on a fictional tv show. But I found that book in the store today lol. Couldn't pass it up. Naked Heat...a full murder mystery story in hardback no less. And its Nathan Fillion's pic on the back as the author Castle too :)

Seems theres a whole series of them. Wow. Geez I wish my wife could see these lol. We loved the show.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:51 pm I found something at the thrift store my wife would have just loved. If you've ever watched the tv show Castle you know he is a writer and wrote Naked Heat...a fictional book from a fiction writer on a fictional tv show. But I found that book in the store today lol. Couldn't pass it up. Naked Heat...a full murder mystery story in hardback no less. And its Nathan Fillion's pic on the back as the author Castle too :)
Our library had all the ebooks in the series at one point available to borrow for the Kindle, so I read them all. Not sure who actually wrote them (I think James Patterson either wrote or co-wrote at least one of them but not sure).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think it was by a guy named Tom Straw.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think it’s unfair to the actual writer of those Castle books to not get any credit. Someone should dig into that and see if they can get even a hint as to who’s behind them.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm pretty sure Marky Mark was an integral contributor.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymon wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:47 pm I just want them to fix my teeth, and thats it. No upsells, no chit chat, and especially no amatuer psychotherapy about why I don't like the dentist.
i recently switched dentists (left my last one of 13 years - to whom i had been going to just as she was starting her practice - because it seemed she was just cashing the paychecks and didn't seem to really care anymore) to one who seems to be of the new-new 'holistic' school of dental practice - i don't know if cuz Seattle or what, but they all seem very accepting of 'how one's mouth just is' and do not nag you about anything if you don't want it, and definitely don't do any upselling (but of course will point out any problem - or potential problem - areas and what can be done).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:01 pm
Jaymon wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:47 pm I just want them to fix my teeth, and thats it. No upsells, no chit chat, and especially no amatuer psychotherapy about why I don't like the dentist.
i recently switched dentists (left my last one of 13 years - to whom i had been going to just as she was starting her practice - because it seemed she was just cashing the paychecks and didn't seem to really care anymore) to one who seems to be of the new-new 'holistic' school of dental practice - i don't know if cuz Seattle or what, but they all seem very accepting of 'how one's mouth just is' and do not nag you about anything if you don't want it, and definitely don't do any upselling (but of course will point out any problem - or potential problem - areas and what can be done).
I like that they don't presume that you want a movie-star smile. My teeth will never look like the Americans on TV and I don't care, as long as they stay in my head and don't hurt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Walmart's pick up option kinda sucks. I got my notice this morning that my order was ready and to click "Check In" to be sure. But when I do the app continually just "Technical error"'d on me. So I drive to the store and ask where the heck I pick up a pick up order. They told me to stand at a sign in the front and call the number. I call the number and get a recording "Sry no one here to answer right now" Next Im off to customer service..."We'll get someone on that" . 10 min later nothing. Im tired of standing there in a packed store looking my stupid self. Call again...this time someone answers. I tell them Im here to pick up my order. They ask where bouts are you. Mmmm Im standing by the pick up order sign. No no they say what parking spot?? Again..Im ...in...the...store. Oh we dont do that anymore but Ill get someone up there. Pretty quick someone comes up with my bag and tells me where to park next time.

The only saving grace of the entire ordeal was the items were each $3 cheaper than off the shelf. Im not sure how that works out for them but dont care.

Oh and on another weird side.......I ordered 4 items. One I had to go pick up. One was delivered while I was out. One is due Sat the 6th. And one is due Tuesday the 16th or something. ARGH!
telcta

Post by telcta »

If I say "Michigan left", do you immediately associate it to driving? Watching a YouTube video, this person kept mentioning a "Michigan left" while driving. I have to admit, I never heard of that term and had to look it up. I'm sure there are plenty here that know it.
A Michigan left is an at-grade intersection design that replaces each left turn at an intersection between a (major) divided roadway and a secondary (minor) roadway with the combination of a right turn followed by a U-turn, or a U-turn followed by a right turn, depending on the situation. This intersection design was given the name "Michigan left" due to its frequent use along roads and highways in the U.S. state of Michigan since the late 1960s.
We do have that type of intersection in a couple areas but don't recall someone telling me to take a Michigan left.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That sound horrible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just let me say very forcefully....STOP CUTTING TREES FOR ROCKEFELLER PLAZA XMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They seem so proud when they announce it..."They'll be cutting this giant 85 year old tree!! weeeee Assholes. I hate this so much.
telcta

Post by telcta »

So the idea is if you missed a left turn, you take this Michigan left? It seems to dump you in a right turn only lane which I'm sure you just get out of that lane if you wanted to make a U-Turn.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

telcta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:28 pm So the idea is if you missed a left turn, you take this Michigan left? It seems to dump you in a right turn only lane which I'm sure you just get out of that lane if you wanted to make a U-Turn.
No, I think they have Michigan lefts instead of jug-handles. In theory, it makes more sense to make a U-Turn from the left lane rather than making a right-lane exit to loop around. However, you're correct in that making a Michigan left puts you in the fast lane of what was the oncoming traffic. That would end very, very badly in NJ.

The only thing I understand even less in our state is the recent use of center turn only lanes. Just a big ole lane in the center that either side can use to make left or right turns, as you see fit.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

telcta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 pm If I say "Michigan left", do you immediately associate it to driving?
Yes, I do. :D "Make a left to go right."

We have them every where. They are ubiquitous along divided highways and service drive overpasses. I, however, didn't know they were a Michigan left until the first time I drove out of state and someone else referred to it as such. So I'm actually guess the term started as a providence of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.
telcta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:28 pm So the idea is if you missed a left turn, you take this Michigan left? It seems to dump you in a right turn only lane which I'm sure you just get out of that lane if you wanted to make a U-Turn.
A Michigan left is the idea that you have two sets of one way streets running parallel reducing entry and exit point on the street. You will eventually pass what you need to turn on to from the other side of the divided highway. So you make a Michigan left to turn around and go the other way. This usually includes turning left at a triffic light.

It gives siri the yips.

So in Izzy's pic, imagine the north south road as having a traffic light. In order to turn left at the traffic light, you need to drive past the intersection, use the left turn lane to turn around and then make a right turn.

This facilitates doing 65 in a 55 in an otherwise stop and go traffic area. There are no left hand turns to wait for.

It also generally allows you turn left on red after stop. (Unless otherwise posted)

Enlarge Image
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
telcta

Post by telcta »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:36 pm
telcta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 pm If I say "Michigan left", do you immediately associate it to driving?
Yes, I do. :D

We have them every where. They are ubiquitous along divided highways and service drive overpasses. I, however, didn't know they were a Michigan left until the first time I drove out of state and someone else referred to it as such. So I'm actually guess the term started as a providence of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.
A Michigan left is the idea that you have two sets of one way streets running parallel reducing entry and exit point on the street. You will eventually pass what you need to turn on to from the other side of the divided highway. So you make a Michigan left to turn around and go the other way. This usually includes turning left at a triffic light.

It gives siri the yips.

So in Izzy's pic, imagine the north south road as having a traffic light. In order to turn left at the traffic light, you need to drive past the intersection, use the left turn lane to turn around and then make a right turn.

This facilitates doing 65 in a 55 in an otherwise stop and go traffic area. There are no left hand turns to wait for.

That's interesting, I see. So going East, the stack lane for the left, even though it goes back through the intersection, there is no light for a left turn, you continue through and make the left across the Westbound traffic (that has no light). I can imagine that getting dicey judging people going 65 and if you can cross those Westbound lanes safely.

EDIT:

Oh, that second picture is perfect.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We drive EVs, we'll make it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Ha, my next question was going to be about how Autopilot would handle that since LM said Siri goes bonkers. I can't imagine trusting the car to judge how fast the oncoming traffic is coming.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

telcta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:56 pm Ha, my next question was going to be about how Autopilot would handle that since LM said Siri goes bonkers. I can't imagine trusting the car to judge how fast the oncoming traffic is coming.
She doesn't go bonkers she goes "Turn left at and then turn left" She gets the concept she doesn't have the words to describe it.
telcta

Post by telcta »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:01 pm
telcta wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:56 pm Ha, my next question was going to be about how Autopilot would handle that since LM said Siri goes bonkers. I can't imagine trusting the car to judge how fast the oncoming traffic is coming.
She doesn't go bonkers she goes "Turn left at and then turn left" She gets the concept she doesn't have the words to describe it.
Sorry about that, I misinterpreted... I thought yips might have been another of those Michigan sayings.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm sure I grabbed the wrong word and then promptly used it for a wild mis representation. I do that. :oops:

Dictionary says

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20379021

I blame my father. Try as I might to not become him, I am that commercial...
telcta

Post by telcta »

It's amazing how much I look like my father when I look in the mirror now. I haven't really noticed it until recently when I would catch a glimpse and see my dad staring at me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There is absolutely no doubt that I am not the mailman's son. It's good I have no children to embarrass like my old man spent his existing embarrassing us. I have his looks, his mannerisms, his ticks, his descriptive... shall we say skill, his everything. It all snuck up on me and punched me in the gut about the time I hit 30. I didn't get his sense for the mechanical... For making things work. He screwed me on that. Harumph.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is anyone getting steam chat from Stuie? I am. He is my OO friend but is asking me to click a link to vote for some friends group of his. He is not really answering my questions about him....thinking he is hacked. Feels off...not clicking anything and may need to ban him from my list