OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bea Arthur is the killer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll say!
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

None of that matters because when you draw the "Thank you for being a friend" event card, it allows you to convert one of the victims to any of the Golden Girls.

Again, this needs to happen.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You're going to be famous if you get that out into the wild! :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put it in the aforementioned thread on BGG for giggles.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you can turn Sofia (Stan?) into the Killer somehow...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, no "create a killer" option....yet.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Managed to win my first game of Final Girl - Laurie vs Hans. Things started slow, but one of the event cards had Hans killing two victims at every location (if two were present) - apparently catching them paired up in a compromising position. :wink:

That raised his blood lust super quick, but I was shooting him with the bow and pistol (would recommend). I had him down to his final mystery health chit and his blood lust had him move 6 spaces at me (I guess bolting across the entire camp) and dealing me 5 damage in a single strike. However, I had a retaliate card which allowed me ignore all incoming damage and then hit him back - at which point I flipped his final health token to reveal...nothing.

Highly, highly thematic and tense. So many things could have ended up going a different way and I actually had to play quite a few cards (burn them) to get successes. That "dance" you need to maintain between playing and holding on to cards (like Hostage Negotiator) is still so very important. I also lucked out by having Laurie's bow as a top card in one of the setup piles *and* I was close enough to get it. I only managed to save three victims and I think Hans ripped through like 8. I'm sure it would have been a great movie, but I felt kinda bad.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m 2 1/2 games in and no victory yet. Tonight’s game ended with Han’s bloodlust meter at the very top and his Dark Power revealed. Reiko did hit him for about 5 hp with her axe, but that means nothing when each hit he scores does 5 damage.

I need to rethink my strategy, :(

Also, I keep getting crappy rolls lately. It’s frustrating to roll zero successes multiple times in a row.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not sure I would have been able to win if not for (1) finding the bow and (2) having the ability to purchase the critical strike card. There was definitely a lot of luck and at least two rounds where I didn't get any successes and ended up hurting myself. Also, the terror events had Hans moving around early on, but then he just stopped in one spot for like 4 rounds - a huge difference because it was then that I was hammering him with ranged attacks. If I didn't have the retaliation card purchased (knowing I needed it based on the number of spaces he could move), he would have absolutely one-shot killed me when he finally did move.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the game, don’t get me wrong. But just like with Hostage Negotiator, I do wish there was another way to mitigate bad rolls.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was going to order the core box with two films but $16 shipping? Ouch. Backed off when I saw that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I almost ordered some games off devil pig’s site (shadows over normandie stuff I don’t have) during their Black Friday sale, but the shipping from their European site was about 35 bucks. It’s only going to get worse, I fear.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:32 pm I also lucked out by having Laurie's bow as a top card in one of the setup piles *and* I was close enough to get it.
That is exactly what I was referring to with the comment below. That bow is trouble for most killers. Poltergeist would laugh at you though.
coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:56 pm If you can get your final girl her ummm... secret, the killer is in trouble, but odds are pretty long there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 pm I was going to order the core box with two films but $16 shipping? Ouch. Backed off when I saw that.
Give me a couple months to get bored and I'll sell the whole kit for half what I paid for it based on past experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:44 pm That is exactly what I was referring to with the comment below.
Ahh...I thought you were talking about her special ability after rescuing 6 victims. Though I guess that's not really "secret".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 pm I was going to order the core box with two films but $16 shipping? Ouch. Backed off when I saw that.
Miniaturemarket has the core and all the movie boxes for 15.99 each. Shipping is a flat 5.99 if you don't go over a hundred, and you don't mind slightly slower shipping.

edit: no playmat though. So forget it.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Miniaturemarket has the core and all the movie boxes for 15.99 each. Shipping is a flat 5.99 if you don't go over a hundred, and you don't mind slightly slower shipping.

edit: no playmat though. So forget it.
UGH... I thought this wasn't going to retail for some reason. I really regret buying direct, since I am still waiting for shipping (the notification was just QML generating the invoice) and I paid much higher for it. Miniature Market is my go-to and they didn't have any indication it was Coming Soon! :evil:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I was surprised just as well. I never saw it listed as coming either.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

MM must have purchased pledges somehow as there's no retailer pledge in the KS? That's really odd.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t think they have to have a retailer pledge to sell to retail after a project is fulfilled. I’ve read a few updates for kickstarters that note they were going to retail after everyone got what they backed…and in some cases, they’ve gone to retail before backers got their copies.

Many developers are using Kickstarter as a preorder system to get their game produced. Retail is sometimes their end goal.

Also…REAL goddamn close to a win tonight. But I blew it. I’m going to concentrate on buffing myself next game instead of going for the victim saves immediately. Focus, planning, improvise. Things I’ve been ignoring in previous games.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed the core box and the Hans and Dr. Fright boxes. Glad I held off for a day, that saved me a cool $20.

Only downside is that my wife is making me wrap it as a Christmas gift, so I won't get to play until after the holiday. Probably a good thing, as I still have a boatload of Zombicide minis to finish painting.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

My current solo agenda that will take me well into 2022 (I won't call it a backlog since that sounds negative, I am glad I have this stack)

On the Table:
Nemo's War

Own, not played yet, intend to get to:
Folklore: the Affliction
Mage Knight
Gloomhaven JoTL (I've played about 25 scenarios of original GH)
Aeon's End War Eternal (I've played AE New Age)

Own, played, want to get back to:
City of Kings
Journeys in Middle Earth
Descent 2nd Edition (solo using app)
Ironsworn

Incoming
7th Continent

Holy shit, I need to quit my job to find time.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

tylertoo wrote:I won't call it a backlog since that sounds negative
Awhile back I started calling my various backlogs my "libraries." I don't feel like I have to read every book in a library, but it's nice to be able to pick and choose from multiple options.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Core Space
Pulp Alley
Rangers of the Shadow Deep

I think I need to make a decision and get one of these back out to focus on. I've had the urge to paint again lately.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:37 am Core Space
Pulp Alley

I think I need to make a decision and get one of these back out to focus on. I've had the urge to paint again lately.
I really enjoy painting the Core Space minis. They are pretty easy and fun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For some reason, I kind of fell out of love with Core Space after my first two games. I need to get it back on the table and see if it was just a timing issue, or if I have a legitimate dislike of the game. It may have just been the setup that annoyed me at the time, too.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:37 am Core Space
Pulp Alley

Brain storming - Rangers benefits from simple rules, and from giving me terrain to work on, but suffers from making me work on terrain (which is kind of a big time sink right now.) Pulp Alley benefits from simple rules, and from a smaller number of miniatures and versatility (I can think of a number of pulp subgenres it would work for), but suffers from the fact that I have zero pulp terrain, not much suitable material, and zero experience making it. Core Space benefits from everything being in the box, but suffers from more involved rules.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also influencing me: I just received my Pulp Alley Kickstarter from last spring, and some friends gave me an all-in on Core Space: First Born, which should be arriving in the next couple of months.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Core Space failed to grab me as well, but I think it's the sci-fi theme more than anything else. I still like having it on the shelf though, as I don't have any other miniatures games like it. I feel like I'll enjoy it when the mood hits.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think Core Space is ideal if you can leave it set up somewhere. It's definitely harder (for me) to get to the table than RoSD because of the time associated with building the Core Space terrain. For RoSD you could literally use potatoes and tin cans for scatter terrain. I've seen photos of people playing using graph paper and coins or dry erase markers on a laminated sheet.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, but I am way, way too obsessive to do that!

After pondering deeply, I honestly think the right answer for me right now is 'none of the above.' Time is still an issue for me right now, and I think I'll be less frustrated just avoiding involved games entirely. That all changes in about six months when Caiden graduates, as my schedule and free time will open up considerably. After 20 years of full-time parenting, it'll be akin to retirement for me.

So I think I'll stick with light and short session play games, but start working on the miniatures for those three games (and maybe CAV, just because I want to paint the miniatures.) Then, when I'm clear from a big swathe of my time and schedule commitments next summer, I'll have things ready to play.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm I've seen photos of people playing using graph paper and coins or dry erase markers on a laminated sheet.
Can you point me to said photos? I'd love to see that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

tylertoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:13 pm Can you point me to said photos? I'd love to see that.
It's been a while, but it was probably on the RoSD Facebook Fan page. That said, there are random threads on BGG that incorporate the Loke Battle Mats (which I love) for RoSD and at the bottom a Chessex Hex mat. Here's a Reddit link to using paper minis and terrain, and someone that figured out the PnP version or a modified 2D paper terrain with 3D paper stand up minis. I think I even saw a photo of someone playing with LEGO. It's really only limited by what you are comfortable playing with. I like dusting off all my terrain and minis and cobbling things together, but you really don't need to buy or craft anything (unless you enjoy that). Finding bits from other games that work in RoSD is half the fun (for me). :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After 5 games I finally won Final Girl…well, against one of the 5 villains I have, at least.

I was seriously getting frustrated with the game. It can be punishingly difficult. But in my last game, I managed to keep Hans from killing too many campers. And I found the keys to the motor boat. So I spent the last half hour of the game dangling a leg out the dock door, then jumping into the motorboat and racing away when he got near. Every now and again I’d smack him before leaving, but it was essentially a kiting move.

Now on to the poltergeist in Creech Manor. I can already tell it’s going to be wildly different. The map is unique and the setup is not what I was expecting. Luckily, I’ve got a playmat.
Covfefe!
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:18 pm There are random threads on BGG that incorporate the Loke Battle Mats (which I love) for RoSD and at the bottom a Chessex Hex mat. Here's a Reddit link to using paper minis and terrain, and someone that figured out the PnP version or a modified 2D paper terrain with 3D paper stand up minis. I think I even saw a photo of someone playing with LEGO.
This is very helpful, thanks!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Also influencing me: I just received my Pulp Alley Kickstarter from last spring, and some friends gave me an all-in on Core Space: First Born, which should be arriving in the next couple of months.
Still waiting on mine. But I went all-in to support them, so waiting on the China Station book before I get mine.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I already had the rules and decks, so I went in for the minis pledge plus the pdfs.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:I already had the rules and decks, so I went in for the minis pledge plus the pdfs.
I did too. But…I’m dumb.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire