Hades

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Hades

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm on the PS, so definitely a controller. But seems like it would be much harder with a mouse and keyboard.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am Are you guys playing this with a controller or KB + mouse?
I play on Switch, so controller.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am Are you guys playing this with a controller or KB + mouse?

I started with KB + Mouse. I eventually switched to controller. I'm not very good with a controller. I've always been a PC gamer but I made an exception for this. There were just too many KB needs in tandem with the mouse for me to be any good at all.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fine, jerks, you win!

Man, I really AM a crotchety old gamer when I internally 'harumph!' at needing to play with a controller on a game like this.

I've been trying with mouse and keyboard, and have re-mapped a few things on my absurdly over-buttoned gaming mouse, but it still feels a little off...or maybe "difficult" is the better word. :P

Maybe I'll realize by the time I'm 80 that I am just not that into, nor very good at THESE KINDS OF GAMES (especially ones that almost, but not quite, require a controller). Yet I keep buying them, playing them for a bit (with keyboard +mouse), and shelving them. I can't tell you how many similar games (GREAT, well-reviewed games! Think "Bastion" et al) I've barely scratched due to my stubborness in admitting this to myself.

I blame games like the OG Flashback and some others (that today, would totally be 'controller' games) that were designed for KB +Mouse, but were amazingly playable and fun. Hell, the original Trackmania was designed for KB+mouse (/old man voice "and we LIKED it that way, dammit!") :P :character-oldtimer:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm similar--simply will not play any game on my PC that requires a controller. Zero exceptions, in 30+ years of PC gaming. But for some odd reason, I absolutely love my Switch. So maybe consider getting one of those for your 'controller-required' games, if you're at all like me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't remember why I bought a controller but I bought one years ago and it sat in its original packaging gathering dust until this game's KB interface finally got me to find the controller open that package and play with it. I'm not a controller guy at all. I mess up button mashing but it's still way better than than the KB interface. It's overly fiddly for my brain and coordination.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Most of my Hades experience was just crazy button mashing. I can't imagine how that would work with a mouse and keyboard.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:23 am Most of my Hades experience was just crazy button mashing. I can't imagine how that would work with a mouse and keyboard.
Yeah, you might have concentrated my rant into the actual reasoning behind it. Simply too many options/moves for me to keep up with (and remember what is mapped to which button). Many of these games start out fine...you have a few basic moves/attacks, thus (to my addled ADD brain) it's fairly easy to keep up with.

But introduce more complexity with multiple moves (and on top of that, with this particular title, those moves change EVERY game! :D) and I'm just a mess of frenetic button smashing, hoping to hit the right combo. That is not a recipe for success with this title in particular.

FWIW, I play my (beloved) driving games on PS4, as well as beat 'em up games. For some reason, a game franchise like Injustice (chef's kiss), I don't have a problem actually learning moves and such (and resulting, often pretty complicated button presses). :confusion-confused:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hades has remarkably few moves compared to some games. I agree it's a lot on a keyboard/mouse, but on Switch I don't find it to be a button-mashing experience at all.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was going through old posts looking to see if I played with KB or controller because I legit can't remember. Along the way I saw this post and for some reason wanted to bring it back to the top.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:10 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 pm I'm up to five wins, across three weapons. Unlocking the other aspects is fun. I've found two of the hidden aspects so far.

Best time so far is 39 minutes.
My first escape was 26 minutes. :mrgreen:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Found it.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 pm The game itself recommends a controller. I used mouse + KB for the first session and then tried controller after that and never went back,
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:21 am I was going through old posts looking to see if I played with KB or controller because I legit can't remember. Along the way I saw this post and for some reason wanted to bring it back to the top.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:10 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 pm I'm up to five wins, across three weapons. Unlocking the other aspects is fun. I've found two of the hidden aspects so far.

Best time so far is 39 minutes.
My first escape was 26 minutes. :mrgreen:
That's how it is, eh? Better go check my record...

Fastest escape: 20:39 (spear)
Highest heat: 13
Total escape attempts: 173
Total escapes: 71
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So you did eventually beat my first escape time. Congrats. :D

I have no idea what my stats look like and I am not reinstalling to find out. I am pretty sure I saw the credits. I don't think I played much if at all after that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:36 am So you did eventually beat my first escape time. Congrats. :D
It was my prime motivation for continuing. :horse:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:06 am
pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 am After a break for a couple weeks and a couple of early aborted runs due to messing around too much, I easily got back to Hades three times in a row. Where he proceeded to kick my ass into oblivion three times in a row. No idea what I'm doing wrong at that point, but clearly whatever it is isn't working!
Spoiler:
Random tips for Hades himself:
-Use the terrain to your advantage (specifically the columns), especially during the 'latter part'
-Timing your attacks to hit in-between Hades' big ones, then dash away, is key.
I made it to Hades with the fists a couple nights ago (first time after your advice). Got him down past his first stage fairly easily, but I struggled to stay away from his attacks enough to survive the second. At least I know more now about what his second form does, and hopefully I'll be able to get something done on him next time.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As you play more you get better boosts and easier avenues to get the boons you want. Plan your boons (and your familiar) around taking Hades down as nearly everything else is secondary. At least that's what I did. And as mentioned earlier, learn his attacks and their timing and how the landscape can help.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

After the initial surprise, I generally found his second form easier than the first. Those beams do some serious damage, but there's a pretty long wind-up to them that should allow you to scramble behind one of the rocks. Also, with certain weapons, you can keep hitting him while he is blasting that beam.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Got to Hades twice last night. Once with what I thought was a not very impressive spear build (great cast boons but slow damage and with all my death defiances), and once with what I thought was a very impressive fists build (solid attack buffs/call/cast, but only 2 of a possible 4 death defiances). Needless to say, I still need to make it work.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm Got to Hades twice last night. Once with what I thought was a not very impressive spear build (great cast boons but slow damage and with all my death defiances), and once with what I thought was a very impressive fists build (solid attack buffs/call/cast, but only 2 of a possible 4 death defiances). Needless to say, I still need to make it work.
One somewhat hacky approach that has worked for me occasionally is to load up on revenge boons. This only works if you start being offered them early enough to get several, but if you can reach a point where Hades is frozen and/or hurt significantly each time he successfully attacks you, that's... helpful.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:05 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm Got to Hades twice last night. Once with what I thought was a not very impressive spear build (great cast boons but slow damage and with all my death defiances), and once with what I thought was a very impressive fists build (solid attack buffs/call/cast, but only 2 of a possible 4 death defiances). Needless to say, I still need to make it work.
One somewhat hacky approach that has worked for me occasionally is to load up on revenge boons. This only works if you start being offered them early enough to get several, but if you can reach a point where Hades is frozen and/or hurt significantly each time he successfully attacks you, that's... helpful.
I know I had a total chill boon on the spear build. I can't recall if I had one on the fist run or not.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think the revenge boons work well in rooms with lots of enemies, but isn't quite as effective against Hades. Sure it will do some damage to him, but he hits hard enough that you're getting the worse end of the bargain by far. I think dash damage is much more effective, since it allows you to hurt him while keeping far away. Another boon which works well is the one that increases your damage in an encounter after using a death defiance. Since you're almost guaranteed to use at least one during the battle with Hades, the extra 15 - 25% damage can make a real difference.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:51 pmSince you're almost guaranteed to use at least one during the battle with Hades
:coffee:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, after failing twice earlier, I just pulled off back to back exits. Once with the rail and then immediately after with the sword. Even did it faster with the sword (just under 30 minutes).
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:27 pm Well, after failing twice earlier, I just pulled off back to back exits. Once with the rail and then immediately after with the sword. Even did it faster with the sword (just under 30 minutes).
Congrats.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:41 pm
pr0ner wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:27 pm Well, after failing twice earlier, I just pulled off back to back exits. Once with the rail and then immediately after with the sword. Even did it faster with the sword (just under 30 minutes).
Congrats.
Thanks. I got pretty lucky with the boons - besides Athena's call both times, I hit a boon the first run that gave me a minimum of Epic level boons from the Olympians in Elysium, so I stacked up there, and I found a boon in Styx the second run that gave me 1 hit of invulnerability with a 20 second cool off, along with a complete chill revenge boon.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nice! Now that you've found some combinations that work for you, you'll probably start getting through pretty regularly.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:14 am
Nice! Now that you've found some combinations that work for you, you'll probably start getting through pretty regularly.
You're right - I made it through two more times last night, once with the fists and once more with the sword, collecting the Heat 1 bounties with each. My fist run was just under 25 minutes too!

Had to mix things up a bit on the sword run (wound up with Zeus's call), but it was still very satisfying.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just had my first clear with the spear. With Guan Yu activated. That was intense.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just out of curiosity, is there any endgame beyond what I'm working on now, which is:
Spoiler:
Getting the Olympian gods to all come down to Hades
beyond simply escaping Hades with more and more Punishment Pact features active? I only have 3 secret weapon aspects unlocked (sword, spear, fists) and only one companion.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There are more relationship goals, which have their own rewards (some of them). Whether it's worth it to you to get to that point is subjective.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:42 pm There are more relationship goals, which have their own rewards (some of them). Whether it's worth it to you to get to that point is subjective.
Thanks. I definitely plan to unlock the other weapon aspects and finish the spoilered goal I have, and then we'll see how I'm feeling after that.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I played this on gamepass but I can't remember if it was text heavy. Looking to buy a game for my uncle who is well illiterate and he doesn't have internet. So I know this is solo and doesn't require to be online, but I can't recall if this is heavy on words. He's pretty good at games, but anything like RPG where you have to read you way out of a situation won't work.

I'm pretty sure this would be safe to get but wanted to make sure.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's lighter on words than Planescape: Torment, I'll give it that.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

naednek wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:41 pm I played this on gamepass but I can't remember if it was text heavy. Looking to buy a game for my uncle who is well illiterate and he doesn't have internet. So I know this is solo and doesn't require to be online, but I can't recall if this is heavy on words. He's pretty good at games, but anything like RPG where you have to read you way out of a situation won't work.

It is fully voice acted so reading shouldn't be a problem. There is actually a lot of story for this type of game though. While it would be sad to skip such well written dialogue it's not exactly pertinent to completing the game so you could skip all of it if you really wanted to.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Trying to select your boons, mirror purchases, and other things will be quite difficult without the ability to read though...
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lordnine wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:30 pm
naednek wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:41 pm I played this on gamepass but I can't remember if it was text heavy. Looking to buy a game for my uncle who is well illiterate and he doesn't have internet. So I know this is solo and doesn't require to be online, but I can't recall if this is heavy on words. He's pretty good at games, but anything like RPG where you have to read you way out of a situation won't work.

It is fully voice acted so reading shouldn't be a problem. There is actually a lot of story for this type of game though. While it would be sad to skip such well written dialogue it's not exactly pertinent to completing the game so you could skip all of it if you really wanted to.
Thanks. I realized I still had it installed so I booted it up before work to see for myself and noticed everything was spoken. That should work enough. He may have difficulty with choosing upgrades\items but I'm sure that's an issue with most games.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I just bought this a couple of nights ago and it’s very interesting.

Sometimes I wish I paid attention when things are released but I generally bargain shop for games on the PS4 store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I’ve been able to play some more and WOW! There’s a lot here. I’m not naturally good at twitch games anymore but I’m getting better. I’ve now beaten the first boss a couple of times (once with the sword and once with the shield). I just unlocked the spear and did badly with it on my first try.

I am really enjoying the bits of story I get every time I die.

Can’t wait to play more.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Good luck, and keep at it. It only took me 62 runs before I was able to beat the last boss. ;)

Others around here have done it much quicker.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Got past the Bone Hydra for the first time this morning. I was using the sword.

I basically use whatever weapon gives me the bonus darkness.

This game is just very well done.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest