No
18%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 45

Jaymon

Re: Do you believe in free will?

Post by Jaymon »

My go-to version of Pascals Wager is boiled down a bit differently. While it may be foolish to pray to the gods, there is no sense in cursing them.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:30 pm You mean he rejected his own wager?
He chose belief in the wrong deity.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And how long can it be until the "intestinal parasite defense" ranks right up there with the Twinkie Defense?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:49 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:30 pm You mean he rejected his own wager?
He chose belief in the wrong deity.
Damn those intestinal parasites!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:09 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:03 pm For those who insist they have free will, I would ask you how you address one issue:

How do you explain the fact that scientists can scan your brain and determine what choice you will make before you consciously make a choice.
Pre-cognition?! Source?
Article here.
I address it by suggesting that 'no free will' is an extreme interpretation of that article. First off, it states right in the article, emphasis mine:
"As the decision of what to think about is made, executive areas of the brain choose the thought-trace which is stronger...in other words, if any pre-existing brain activity matches one of your choices, your brain will be more likely to pick that option, as it gets boosted by the pre-existing brain activity," he added.
Being more likely to choose something is a given. We all have preferences, and our psychology pushes us toward those preferences. That doesn't mean that we're force to choose them - just influenced.

Second, sample size 14.

Third, who says that there can be no subconscious element in free will? As I said before, free will is likely more about choosing despite influence. What that study shows could very well just be aspects of our decision making process, level of control aside.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:03 pm For those who insist they have free will, I would ask you how you address one issue:

How do you explain the fact that scientists can scan your brain and determine what choice you will make before you consciously make a choice.
Pre-cognition?! Source?
Article here.
I address it by suggesting that 'no free will' is an extreme interpretation of that article. First off, it states right in the article, emphasis mine:
"As the decision of what to think about is made, executive areas of the brain choose the thought-trace which is stronger...in other words, if any pre-existing brain activity matches one of your choices, your brain will be more likely to pick that option, as it gets boosted by the pre-existing brain activity," he added.
Being more likely to choose something is a given. We all have preferences, and our psychology pushes us toward those preferences. That doesn't mean that we're force to choose them - just influenced.

Second, sample size 14.

Third, who says that there can be no subconscious element in free will? As I said before, free will is likely more about choosing despite influence. What that study shows could very well just be aspects of our decision making process, level of control aside.
Interesting. So basically we are a brain walking around encased in a meat puppet. There are pressures coming at us from our genes, society, the weather, intestinal parasites, etc. It is easier to go with the flow, but for crucial decisions we can shake all that off and step up with a free will conscious decision.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:05 pm
Interesting. So basically we are a brain walking around encased in a meat puppet. There are pressures coming at us from our genes, society, the weather, intestinal parasites, etc. It is easier to go with the flow, but for crucial decisions we can shake all that off and step up with a free will conscious decision.
Well, I'd say that our brain is part of the meat puppet. And I don't think I'd limit it to 'crucial' decisions, either.

But now we're back to the whole 'lizard brain' bit. Our minds, whatever those are, are complicated. A range of factors influence us.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:09 pm A range of factors influence us.
Gut parasites being a surprisingly big one.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:21 pm
Better than parasitic fungi.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:21 pm
We are pleased you acknowledge our influence.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

When this popped up again today, I misread it as believing in Free WiFi!

Yes please!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:22 pm When this popped up again today, I misread it as believing in Free WiFi!

Yes please!
Nobody believes in that.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Pre-cognition?! Source?
Article here.

Second, sample size 14.

Choosing patterns is easy. Deciding which Steam game to spend my limited free time on? That's hard.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It seems important that the experiment asks the subject to make a completely arbitrary choice with no expectation of any meaningful result from that choice. In no way does it engage values, beliefs, circumstances, consequences, or any of the other factors we consider most important in making decisions.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

If we have no free will that means we have no choice. Everything we think we know was set by GODs or God when the first atom was created. We just exist created and directed by the bang. Therefore, should people be held responsible for their action once we come to this enlightenment?

The devil made me do it has been used for a long time. :twisted:

I don't think we want to go there.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't think the absence of free will equates to predestination. To me it's more like you think you're piloting the ship, but it's actually the wind, rain, currents and choppy seas.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or microbiome and parasitic infections.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:51 pm If we have no free will that means we have no choice.
This is not correct.

Let's just say for a moment that there is NO free will.... That doesn't take away our personal responsibility, nor the illusion that we indeed take part in 'choice' all the time.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Unagi wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:18 am
UsulofDoom wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:51 pm If we have no free will that means we have no choice.
This is not correct.

Let's just say for a moment that there is NO free will.... That doesn't take away our personal responsibility, nor the illusion that we indeed take part in 'choice' all the time.
If our choices are pre-defined by our past how is that a choice. If I was told to love or hate something that, that defines my choices. Therefore, no free will. 1+1=2 I believe we have free will. Just as I choses to post was my choice and free will .
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:51 pm If we have no free will that means we have no choice. Everything we think we know was set by GODs or God when the first atom was created. We just exist created and directed by the bang. Therefore, should people be held responsible for their action once we come to this enlightenment?
If we do not have free will it doesn't matter whether we hold people responsible since the act of holding them responsible is something that comes inexorably from our past plus a little bit of randomness.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

According to Sam Harris we should lock up serial killers not as punishment for their actions, but to keep them from harming others.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:57 am According to Sam Harris we should lock up serial killers not as punishment for their actions, but to keep them from harming others.
Madness

/sarcasm
geezer

Post by geezer »

Jaymann wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:57 am According to Sam Harris we should lock up serial killers not as punishment for their actions, but to keep them from harming others.
That theory of criminal justice actually makes all kind of sense to me, though admittedly "serial killers" is pretty extreme example. :think: More commonly, I've always wondered if wouldn't make more sense if, for example, Bernie Madoff types were forced to work and provide restitution to his victims vs. sitting in jail.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Neil deGrasse Tyson and Robert Sapolsky weigh in on the debate. It's an hour long, but I skipped ahead to the crux of the matter.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Personally, I think it’s clearly true there isn’t, but I get why it’s disturbing. It shouldn’t be and doesn’t need to be.

I’m not sure how one can argue its “actual existence” (vs. perception) at the atomic, etc level, and win.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’ll watch that video now, but I hope they come to an agreement.

I know Sapolsky’s view on it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, Sapolsky is a great teacher on this. Great share (Still watching, starting over from the beginning).

And I encourage people (who don't swallow it) to watch a few more conversations he's had with others. I've seen a few that are great.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:51 pm Personally, I think it’s clearly true there isn’t, but I get why it’s disturbing. It shouldn’t be and doesn’t need to be.
If it is clearly true that that there isn't, then you really don't think this. It is all predetermined and "you" really did no thinking. To say you think something is true implies you made a choice and could have thought otherwise, which of course, isn't true.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That makes no sense.

Thought is chemical.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:09 pm That makes no sense.

Thought is chemical.
The issue isn't the whether thought exists, the issue is that there is no "I" when you say "I thought". Your "thought" is indeed just a bunch of chemical processes, affected by your environment, genetics, physics, etc. But there is no real "I", no mind, behind your thought. The mind, "you", is an illusion, just like free will.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:42 am Or microbiome and parasitic infections.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:35 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:09 pm That makes no sense.

Thought is chemical.
The issue isn't the whether thought exists, the issue is that there is no "I" when you say "I thought". Your "thought" is indeed just a bunch of chemical processes, affected by your environment, genetics, physics, etc. But there is no real "I", no mind, behind your thought. The mind, "you", is an illusion, just like free will.
Um, ok. :D

The brain* behind these fingers that are typing right now wanted to message the brain* behind the eyes that are reading this that both brains have no free will.

*not just brain, but also any-and-all microbiome and parasitic infections that have made a home there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If there's no free will, then preferences, choices, and personality are not 'us.' There is no actual 'us', anymore than my PC running a batch file is an 'us.'

I still lean into the point I made earlier in this thread - the chemistry influences us, but doesn't dictate. Or, as I said on the last page (two years ago tomorrow):
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:35 am Free will is the alternative to just following orders. It takes effort to to bypass the instinctive response that is ingrained by millions of years, but we're not locked into autopilot.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:37 pm If there's no free will, then preferences, choices, and personality are not 'us.' There is no actual 'us', anymore than my PC running a batch file is an 'us.'

I still lean into the point I made earlier in this thread - the chemistry influences us, but doesn't dictate. Or, as I said on the last page (two years ago tomorrow):
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:35 am Free will is the alternative to just following orders. It takes effort to to bypass the instinctive response that is ingrained by millions of years, but we're not locked into autopilot.
The examples used in the video are the alcoholic, the epileptic, and the depressed. Do they have the choice not to be depressed, not to have the seizure, or not take the addictive substance? They are the sum of their experiences and situations.

I'm not convinced -I don't see how it could be tested (I know they offered a test, but it was fantastical and not rooted in a physical reality) - but it certainly fits well with observations.

Edit: Incidentally, if true, it means those that have the means need to raise the general environment for everyone to one that leads to more positive outcomes and we need to rethink the penal system.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Based on your examples I'd say that free will isn't absolute.
I know I didn't choose to have kidney faillure, strokes and a coma. As far as the docs were concerned it also wasnt due to life choices either.
I dont think anyone choose to get covid.
I think seizures fall into this category.
For alcoholism id say that there is a choice involved until there isn't.
In some instances depression can fit into this. Many people have said that they are surprised that I haven't fallen into depression with everything going on. I definitely think I have chosen to not get depressed. But everyone has a breaking point where you dont get a choice. I just hope i dont reach mine.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Because the possibilities (free will vs determinism) are completely untestable, the pragmatic choice is to consider the effects of going with either.

I'll quote myself from upthread, since it was a few years ago:
Holman wrote:Since we can't know and since common sense strongly supports the belief in free will, what's gained by presuming we don't have it?

Even more, I can think of all kinds of bad results that likely follow from an ideology rejecting free will. Since we believe ourselves free to believe in free will and to prevent those results, we ought to do so.

It's kind of Pascally.
The counterpoint in the video would be that refusing the existence of free will could lead to a more just world where we treat people more equally and attempt to mitigate the unfairness some people have inherited from an unfortunate roll of the dice.

I don't see how these views are incompatible. I would argue that common sense liberalism already merges the two views when it treats people as having choices but also recognizes that some suffer from systemic or biological disadvantages that an ethical society should attempt to mitigate.

After that, the question of whether we *really* have free will or just *believe* we do becomes merely academic.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What needs to be proven or disproven? That the laws of physics as we understand them still hold true in the brain? That there is not a magical, invisible, undetectable ghost in the machine? Wouldn't the burden be on the person who comes up with that idea - to prove it?