Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

I doubt Smoove would approve of sun tea.:
It seems that tea brewed in the sun creates a breeding ground for bacteria and so, if we go with science shows us, sun tea is not such a good idea. Here’s what was found: The heat of the sun replaces the heating element of water boiled in the kettle but under any sun condition, the tea will only reach in the range of 102° to 130° and not the 170° to 200° normally needed to steep tea in. If sun tea gets a thick or syrupy appearance, it’s because of the presence of Alcaligenes viscolactis, a stringy, rope-like bacterium. These bacteria are commonly in soil and water and should not be digested.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

...and the kids' bed just broke in a way that I'm not sure can be safely repaired. Looking for adult bunk beds is... unpleasant. There seems to be a choice between $200 beds that look very questionable and $3,000 beds.

/edit - and the problem I'm seeing is that every place I check has the same few cheap-looking, questionable bed frames that all of the other places have. Like I mentioned in the other thread, the third party sellers that absolutely dominate these retail sites are making it impossible to find good quality stuff that's affordable by filling everything with cheap junk.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

So order from a reputable store, like IKEA or Ashley Furniture.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gilraen wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:37 pm So order from a reputable store, like IKEA or Ashley Furniture.
Yeah, that's likely a safer option than shady third party merchants. Wayfair.com can also be useful for budget-priced furniture.

Also, if you're after something adult-sized, you may have better luck searching for 'loft beds' instead of bunk beds.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd never heard of Ashley Furniture. I will check it out.

Unless I am mistaken, loft beds are simply a single elevated bed without the lower bed.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:14 pm Unless I am mistaken, loft beds are simply a single elevated bed without the lower bed.
True, but adding a bed underneath to convert a loft bed into bunk beds should be fairly straightforward, and perhaps sturdier.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I recall really enjoying Red Rose tea. They have it at wallmart near me, don't know about yours.

https://redrosetea.com/collections/expl ... egory-page
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:29 pm Bitterness in brewed tea is almost always one of two things (provided that it isn't horribly awful tea to begin with):
Oddly enough I rather like the bitterness in brewed tea. My go to drink when I'm camping is tea brewed with basically boiling water and steeped for longer than suggested. It used to be Irish Breakfast Tea but I've more or less switched to Yorkshire Gold if I can find it before a camping trip. Edited to add that Red Rose is also good for this but I haven't looked for it in a while.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have a buddy that is actually from Yorkshire. On one of our camping trips he demonstrated the correct way to make a "proper brew" with the regular Yorkshire tea which was really cool. I haven't tried the Yorkshire Gold though, that sounds appealing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:32 pm I doubt Smoove would approve of sun tea.:
It seems that tea brewed in the sun creates a breeding ground for bacteria and so, if we go with science shows us, sun tea is not such a good idea. Here’s what was found: The heat of the sun replaces the heating element of water boiled in the kettle but under any sun condition, the tea will only reach in the range of 102° to 130° and not the 170° to 200° normally needed to steep tea in. If sun tea gets a thick or syrupy appearance, it’s because of the presence of Alcaligenes viscolactis, a stringy, rope-like bacterium. These bacteria are commonly in soil and water and should not be digested.
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

I can't drink black tea. I'm allergic to something in it (maybe the tannins), and it makes me nauseous.

My mom was a tea drinker, and in 8th grade I started having a cup with breakfast. By second or third period (almost every day) I was feeling sick, but it took many months to figure out the tea connection.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

[Deleted post due to conflicting information about someone I know being involved in a crime.]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That only lists one bed that would fit, and it's rated at 175 pounds (including the mattress.) IE - it's a children's bed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:32 pm https://nationalhomestore.com/Item/Heavy-Duty-Bunk-Bed

$350 for twin, $215 shipping
That's a good find. $600 is pretty crippling (especially after just having had to replace other things in the house), but it's about the best option I've seen.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also dug up this one, which is comparable and possibly cheaper, but they seem to be out of stock on the twin right now. I sent them an inquiry, so we'll see.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I see a bunch of bunk beds on Marketplace for between $100 and $300. I'm not at all local to your area but it might be an idea if you have some way to borrow a truck. Most look study enough but I'm probably not good at judging that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:26 pm
That only lists one bed that would fit, and it's rated at 175 pounds (including the mattress.) IE - it's a children's bed.
Sorry about that.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Search for "bunk bed", not loft or whatever. They have metal frame ones that support up to 450lbs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lately Ive been having trouble where it seems the net thinks I live in Europe. If I look up an actress or actor their height is listed in meters not feet in Google.. Wiki just now results were in some foreign language and I had to click english to revert it. Why does my pc think I am European?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's your accent.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:46 am Lately Ive been having trouble where it seems the net thinks I live in Europe. If I look up an actress or actor their height is listed in meters not feet in Google.. Wiki just now results were in some foreign language and I had to click english to revert it. Why does my pc think I am European?
Because you're using a VPN, and VPNs are expressly designed to mask your real location:
Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:55 pm Ok I joined Proton VPN for free.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

oh...did not know it would affect me personally. Ok thnx
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:50 am oh...did not know it would affect me personally. Ok thnx
Just to clarify, your PC does not "think you're European." But the web sites and online services you visit will, depending upon the VPN server you have selected.

Here's a simplified illustration of how a VPN works:

When you use a VPN service, your public IP address will reflect your VPN's server location instead of your ISP's. So, if you'd prefer the web sites and online services you use not to think you're European, try selecting a US-based server with your VPN client instead.

Keep in mind though, using a free VPN service will almost certainly limit the server-location choices you have available.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:59 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:50 am oh...did not know it would affect me personally. Ok thnx
Just to clarify, your PC does not "think you're European." But the web sites and online services you visit will, depending upon the VPN server you have selected.

Here's a simplified illustration of how a VPN works:

When you use a VPN service, your public IP address will reflect your VPN's server location instead of your ISP's. So, if you'd prefer the web sites and online services you use not to think you're European, try selecting a US-based server with your VPN client instead.

Keep in mind though, using a free VPN service will almost certainly limit the server-location choices you have available.
Are there any free VPN services you'd recommend?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

You should also know that you are trusting the VPNs not to keep logs - because if they do, people can still learn where you went.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are there any free VPN services you'd recommend?
Im using Proton VPN. Can just 1 click it on or off and its ad free. Right now it seems to be routing me through the Netherlands. Has a visual too.
Anonymous Bosch

stimpy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:05 pm Are there any free VPN services you'd recommend?
This will likely depend on your particular needs.

Proton VPN is a top-quality free VPN with unlimited data. However, free users do not get peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) or support for unblocking streaming services. The free plan only supports a single connection, and I believe you can only access locations in the US, Netherlands, and Japan. So, if you can cope with those limitations, a free VPN service like Proton VPN can be a reliable choice. But if you're interested in squeezing more value out of your streaming service subscriptions by unblocking all the content available in other nations or P2P file sharing, a paid subscription is the way to go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Outside my wheelhouse, but I seem to have a tickle in my mind about using VPNs with Steam - namely it will either flag your account for potentially being stolen and/or you accidentally end up purchasing games using a different country as your connection location and also get flagged. Maybe I'm remembering older stories and it's no longer and issue, but I really want to say I recall people trying to mess with their locations (sales? unlocking games?) and then getting banned.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:57 pm Outside my wheelhouse, but I seem to have a tickle in my mind about using VPNs with Steam - namely it will either flag your account for potentially being stolen and/or you accidentally end up purchasing games using a different country as your connection location and also get flagged. Maybe I'm remembering older stories and it's no longer and issue, but I really want to say I recall people trying to mess with their locations (sales? unlocking games?) and then getting banned.
Playing games or operating Steam while using a VPN is not strictly prohibited. Circumventing geographical restrictions to make store purchases through Steam while on a VPN is against their TOS though, so caveat emptor there. I always have a VPN running myself, and have never had any issues with Steam. Making purchases and playing multiplayer included. But I do not try to circumvent geographical restrictions to make Steam store purchases, as that seems like more trouble than it's worth.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I use PrivateInternetAccess (PIA...he he). Been using them for years - the regular price is about $40/year, but currently they have a promotion of 39 months for $79, and I was able to use the promotion even as an existing customer. Really like their software. Anyway, they have the option where you can set up specific applications on your computer to bypass the VPN. Like, for example, I have my wow.exe for World of Warcraft excluded, so it will use the regular network adapter even if VPN is running.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
A giant aquarium containing a million litres of water in the lobby of the Radisson Blu in Berlin has burst, flooding the hotel and nearby streets.

The "AquaDom" - home to 1,500 fish - is 15.85m high (52 ft) and was described as the largest free-standing cylindrical aquarium in the world.

Two people were injured by falling glass after the blast.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:47 pm BBC
A giant aquarium containing a million litres of water in the lobby of the Radisson Blu in Berlin has burst, flooding the hotel and nearby streets.

The "AquaDom" - home to 1,500 fish - is 15.85m high (52 ft) and was described as the largest free-standing cylindrical aquarium in the world.

Two people were injured by falling glass after the blast.
Amazing looking aquarium
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those poor fish. I hope people tried to save them.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:30 pm Those poor fish. I hope people tried to save them.
People were just trying to save themselves.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:44 pm
Search for "bunk bed", not loft or whatever. They have metal frame ones that support up to 450lbs.
I've been looking, and I can't find them. Did you mean those that support 200+250 lbs? If so, those won't work either. The top bunk supports 200 pounds, which has to include the mattress. A 35-pound mattress (which is what he has) combined with a 170-pound, 6'+ man already exceeds that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:47 pm Here's another alternative you may want to consider. I grabbed this on sale several weeks ago from a B&M Costco for $12.99 --
BULA Polartec Convertible Balaclava, 2-pack:

Enlarge Image
Dunno what I need a two pack for but I picked up that ($15.99 $19.99 - $4.00) and a chicken today. They had a display with 12 cases of them. In those 12 cases there were exactly 3 packages of Lg/XLg. After digging out one, a guy next to me grabbed one of the other two that could be seen next to it. Just in time as the flurries just started here on my drive home.
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:08 am vid
Bane is the best
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:37 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:47 pm Here's another alternative you may want to consider. I grabbed this on sale several weeks ago from a B&M Costco for $12.99 --
BULA Polartec Convertible Balaclava, 2-pack:

Enlarge Image
Dunno what I need a two pack for but I picked up that ($15.99 $19.99 - $4.00) and a chicken today. They had a display with 12 cases of them. In those 12 cases there were exactly 3 packages of Lg/XLg. After digging out one, a guy next to me grabbed one of the other two that could be seen next to it. Just in time as the flurries just started here on my drive home.
Glad to hear it was still available for a decent price. Hopefully you'll find it to be as effective as I did, though I imagine contending with the bitter cold of Michigan winter weather is a taller order. But since it essentially functions as scarf, ear muffs, and balaclava, it certainly ought to help, especially when combined with a beanie or suitable trapper hat.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.