Bethesda's Starfield

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Bethesda's Starfield

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:04 pm Isn't this the same engine as tje last game?
If so couldn't they just use the same tools for basic editing?
If you go deep enough, yes, it's the same engine under the hood as every Bethesda game since Morrowind, and before that going clear back to Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and (believe it or not), Civilization IV. And if you dig even deeper, it goes clear back to Prince of Persia 3d. It was called NetImmerse, then Gamebryo, and now the Creation Engine. But while that DNA is deep inside, each release sees them tweaking it, adding to it, and so on. It's never been rewritten from the ground up (which is where a lot of the problems come from), but they do keep changing it to make sure it can handle new features.

So, yes - you can use some of the tools from previous versions, although it might take some hoop-jumping (I tried to open a few Starfield files in the FO4 GECK - the most recent version of their editor, and it just crashes instantly.) The problem is the changes/tweaks that they made to the engine and the file system means that they're not fully compatible. And if you manage to get one of the editors working enough to open the files, it still will not do so correctly, as nobody knows for sure yet just what's changed.

To give an example, there were a number of early Fallout 4 mods that were made using a Skyrim tool (TESVSnip.) Fallout 4 was only a few years older than Skyrim (about half of the age difference as FO4/Starfield), and a much closer form of the engine.) They caused many, many problems (one common example in FO4 was that all power armor you owned when installing one of these would be reset to its default values, and all modifications removed) until people learned to quit installing mods with .esp/esm files until after the real tools were released.

Random fact: .esp = Elder Scrolls Plugin, .esm = Elder Scrolls Master
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:38 pm Enlarge Image
What are you using to add the title text? I know there are a million answers, just curious what may be the simplest quests way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just a note: Lots of companies continually update older engines. Not every new version is written from scratch. The problem here is that there are limitations in the core of this one that they've never managed to address. Unreal doesn't need to write their next engine from scratch, as the core works fine. That isn't true of the NetImmerse/Gamebryo/Creation Engine. Some of the bugs and limitations of Starfield have been there through game after game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm What are you using to add the title text? I know there are a million answers, just curious what may be the simplest quests way.
I use GIMP.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:25 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm What are you using to add the title text? I know there are a million answers, just curious what may be the simplest quests way.
I use GIMP.
Nice, I have Gimp.

:D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We were talking about cargo capacity to carry around a bunch of stuff. I modded my ship with a lot more cargo hold space:

Enlarge Image

My cargo capacity is now 3927, although I was running up to that limit before I offloaded a lot of it to my storage outpost.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're a flying warehouse.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:16 pm Just a note: Lots of companies continually update older engines. Not every new version is written from scratch. The problem here is that there are limitations in the core of this one that they've never managed to address. Unreal doesn't need to write their next engine from scratch, as the core works fine. That isn't true of the NetImmerse/Gamebryo/Creation Engine. Some of the bugs and limitations of Starfield have been there through game after game.
Good info.
I wonder wjy modt companies dont just bite the bullet and license a 3rd party emgine that is mostly complete. Something like Unreal especially since they try making improvements that are backwards compatible. I would think the time saved on fixing theirs would cover the license costs.
Like when you keep fixing your old car over and over but eventually you need a new car or even a new less used car.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 pm You're a flying warehouse.
My unmodded Razorleaf carries 420 lbs of cargo. I want to be a flying warehouse!!!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kurth wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:54 am
My unmodded Razorleaf carries 420 lbs of cargo. I want to be a flying warehouse!!!
Totally doable!

Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:54 am
Get an Econohaul. Under $100K and a decent fighter too.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's tempting to test out this mod just to see if I can murder my way to some of those sweet Ryujin executive outfits.

Starfield mod lets you loot corpses down to their undies just like Skyrim and Fallout 4
Back in the good old days of Bethesda RPGs (and I'm talking about Oblivion, Skyrim, and the Fallout games) when you killed a fool you could loot them of all their stuff. And I mean everything! Not just weapons and cash, but outfits, pieces of armor, helmets, hats, and dignity. When you looted a dead enemy in those games, you left behind nothing but a corpse in its underwear.

To the disappointment of many, Starfield works a bit differently. You can sometimes get a helmet or spacesuit off a dead foe, but usually when you loot someone you just come away with their weapons, maybe some credits or aid items, and perhaps a few other odds and ends. That can be a bummer if you ice someone who's got some nice clothes or a spacesuit you'd really like to wear or sell.

Now there's a fix for that, courtesy of Modder jedijosh920. As you can see in the video above, the Classic NPC Loot System mod brings back that old timey goodness of taking absolutely everything from a corpse's inventory, including clothing, spacesuits, hats, and helmets. Finally, you can feel like you're the true hero of a Bethesda RPG by leaving a trail of nearly-naked bodies in your wake. The only real downside is you're gonna wind up overencumbered even more often than you already do.

The mod requires another of jedijosh920 mods to get running, the Jedi's Starfield Script Hook, which sounds like it should play friendly with Starfield's Script Extender if you're already using that for other mods. The modder is also working on some future improvements—currently if you come across a pre-existing corpse they won't be fully lootable, and the mod may cause some glitches with display mannequins.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The last thing I need is the ability to loot more stuff.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:11 am
Totally doable!

Enlarge Image
How do you get a C class reactor on the Razorleaf.

I'm un-initiated on ship-building yet. I see the Upgrades - but that seems to limit me to upgrading to A type. (I'm certified to B, so I understand C is off limits).

Is this the difference between 'Building' a ship that is based on the Razorleaf core, vs. what I'm doing, which is just "Upgrading" ?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:06 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:11 am
Totally doable!

Enlarge Image
How do you get a C class reactor on the Razorleaf.

I'm un-initiated on ship-building yet. I see the Upgrades - but that seems to limit me to upgrading to A type. (I'm certified to B, so I understand C is off limits).

Is this the difference between 'Building' a ship that is based on the Razorleaf core, vs. what I'm doing, which is just "Upgrading" ?
You need to level up your pilot skill to fly class C ships and starship design to fit the higher-end components. If you look at available components in a shipyard, it will show you any skill prerequisites for installing the item. I only have starship design 3 for now, so once I get around to levelling that up again I will be doing one more round of refits to see if I can reduce the mass of the ship to improve handling a little. And make it look better -- right now it has a very Lego aesthetic.

Upgrading just shows you alternate versions of the ship modules you have installed, and I believe what you can see is gated by your skills. If you go into the full builder mode you can see everything that is available at the shipyard. In my case, the nose, tail and strut-mounted engines are the only remaining parts of the original Razorleaf.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Right on, thank you.

You went into build-mode and bought a level C reactor (skill-gated, of course).

I'm not given an option to 'Upgrade' from Class A to Class B reactors, because that's not how upgrades work. Upgrades are locked into the ship's current Class.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The upgrade options are not totally useless but very close to it. Ship Builder is where it's at. All the freedom (that your skills and level allow).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Finished.

Some stats:
Level 38
Last save game shows 2d 6h 51m played.
Reach 1 million credits being carried at one time. Mostly from being an OCD packrat and picking everything up that wasn't nailed down.
Married Sarah
Completed the main Crimson Fleet questline.
Completed the main Freestar Collective questline. Best free class A ship that I used almost to the end.
Completed the main UC questline.
74 total quests completed.
Best side quest was the secret base for the Mantis armor.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Heh.
I'm level 43
10 days + change played
96 Total Quests completed (4 main quests, 8 Freestar, 7 Ryujin, 2 UC, 0 Crimson))
Over 1 million credits.
I cannot stand the Mantis armor&helmet and refuse to wear them.

everything else is probably unremarkable.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It wouldn't be a Bethesda game without sweet rolls. I'm just a little embarrassed, though, that it took me this long to find some.

Enlarge Image

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:13 pm Heh.
I'm level 43
10 days + change played
96 Total Quests completed (4 main quests, 8 Freestar, 7 Ryujin, 2 UC, 0 Crimson))
Over 1 million credits.
I cannot stand the Mantis armor&helmet and refuse to wear them.

everything else is probably unremarkable.
Yeah, that helmet just looks stupid. I'm kind of ok with the suit.
Didn't old Bethesda games give you an option to wear one thing but give it the appearance of something else?
Or am i thinking of a completely different game?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Punisher wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:46 pm Didn't old Bethesda games give you an option to wear one thing but give it the appearance of something else?
Cyberpunk, I think.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:46 pm Didn't old Bethesda games give you an option to wear one thing but give it the appearance of something else?
A number of games, but never a Bethesda game. I still remember my 'knight' Oblivion playthrough where I went into the editor and changed all of my fancy Daedric gear to use the steel armor/weapon models. It's hard to feel like a knight in shining armor when you look like Sauron's understudy.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:35 pm A number of games, but never a Bethesda game.
Not quite never. Elder Scrolls Online has a number of ways to override your default appearance.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:09 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:35 pm A number of games, but never a Bethesda game.
Not quite never. Elder Scrolls Online has a number of ways to override your default appearance.
ESO isn't a Bethesda game. It's a product designed by ZeniMax Online Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks, Zenimax's publishing arm. 'Bethesda games' are designed by Bethesda Game Studios.

Although all three of them are owned by ZeniMax Media. Which is now owned by Microsoft.

In other words, a completely different developer.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:04 pm
Cyberpunk, I think.
Hogwarts did it for sure
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:15 am
Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:09 am
ESO isn't a Bethesda game. It's a product designed by ZeniMax Online Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks, Zenimax's publishing arm. 'Bethesda games' are designed by Bethesda Game Studios.

Although all three of them are owned by ZeniMax Media. Which is now owned by Microsoft.

In other words, a completely different developer.
Fair enough.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'm around lvl 42, 130-some-odd hours in, and I'm quickly approaching the "choice", I believe. I just
Spoiler:
went to NASA on earth and got the artifact from there, then fought my way out and spoke with the Emissary and the Hunter. I said screw you to both of them, I'm going to forge my own path!
I'm still flying around in the Ranger Star Eagle, and I've updated it to double the cargo as well as the weapons. I tried starting a manufacturing base on that popular world from up above, but there wasn't enough gunfights and exploration and looting for me, so it's sitting abandoned for now. I know it can give xp and levels and such, but I'm just having too much fun out and about.

Still loving the game, but I'm not sure how far into NG+ I'm going to go right off the bat. I still have BG3 to finish, and Cyberpunk 2.0/Phantom Liberty to dive into, but I'll most likely come back and try some new things out later on this year.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't think this has been posted here yet :wink:

By the way, sorry I don't have the link but there is now a mod that removes the requirement to actually do that "thing" you do over and over again in each and every damn temple. You still have to go to the temple but apparently once you enter, you're good.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Has anyone else noticed some of the companions' comments with 'missed idioms'... like:

"Waste not, need not"
or
"Any adventure you can take off from..."

At least a couple of others I heard before I thought to pay attention.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And... done. 155 hours, level 74. And the ending? Cheesy! :D But I like cheese :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Question regarding the start of my first NG+ experience.

Caution, has spoiler info if you have not finished the main quest and gone to your first NG+
Spoiler:
So, regarding NG+... I've gone to the Lodge and declined the option to proceed with the main quest again, but I've gotten an assignment to go to the Eye and help with looking for Artifacts. Is that right? I'm still fooling around with Artifacts? Did I click the wrong button?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:37 pm Question regarding the start of my first NG+ experience.

Caution, has spoiler info if you have not finished the main quest and gone to your first NG+
Spoiler:
So, regarding NG+... I've gone to the Lodge and declined the option to proceed with the main quest again, but I've gotten an assignment to go to the Eye and help with looking for Artifacts. Is that right? I'm still fooling around with Artifacts? Did I click the wrong button?
Spoiler:
The main value of NG+ is that you can collect all of the artifacts again and revisit all the temples and level up all of your powers. All of the powers go up to level 10. It's a huge grind and mostly pointless.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Finally started this over the weekend and I'm confused about ammo. I found a sweet gun that uses .11 ammo so I bought a bunch from a vendor in New Atlantis - but when I bring up the gun it doesn't recognize the ammo.

The gun is the Marksman's AA-99. It says it uses 11MM ammo

So I bought some:

But the HUD shows I only have 24 shots left

Is it because I bought "Caseless" ammo? It was the only .11 ammo the vendor had.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Exodor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:02 am
Is it because I bought "Caseless" ammo? It was the only .11 ammo the vendor had.
No, that's the only 11mm ammo there is - and it's the correct type for that weapon. Not sure what you are pointing out... I mean - is it possible you only bought the 24 rounds, because your middle picture shows that is how many you have (or were about to purchase).

Also, side question: What is the source of that first cropped screenshot, with the v/m value listed? and the 2nd one... I'm not familiar with where you'd see those images/graphics. Is that a mod? console version?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:15 am
Exodor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:02 am
No, that's the only 11mm ammo there is - and it's the correct type for that weapon. Not sure what you are pointing out... I mean - is it possible you only bought the 24 rounds, because your middle picture shows that is how many you have (or were about to purchase).
OMG for some reason I thought it was 24 clips not 24 individual bullets. :oops:

Ammo is more expensive than I thought! Thanks for the help - and for making me feel dumb. :D
Also, side question: What is the source of that first cropped screenshot, with the v/m value listed? and the 2nd one... I'm not familiar with where you'd see those images/graphics. Is that a mod? console version?
It's the StarUI Inventory mod. It's the only mod I'm using other than a console command to drastically increase my carry limit
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Exodor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:28 am Thanks for the help - and for making me feel dumb. :D
No problem. It all comes with the badge.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Exodor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:28 am
Ammo is more expensive than I thought!
Looks like they adopted Chris Rock's "Bullet Control" philosophy...

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:24 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:37 pm Question regarding the start of my first NG+ experience.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The main value of NG+ is that you can collect all of the artifacts again and revisit all the temples and level up all of your powers. All of the powers go up to level 10. It's a huge grind and mostly pointless.
Thanks for posting this. I understand it now.