Fascism Watch in America

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Fascism Watch in America

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:33 am Oh, and if I were a leftie living in the States I would probably be getting myself some firearms and gun lessons right about now. Those "nuts" touting civil war may sound like hyperbole, but if Trump wins - heck, even if he loses - you know there's going to be violence.
From something I read recently, first time firearm purchases by left leaning citizens (and possibly black as well but can't remember) are way up in very recent years. I do wonder if the spike happened after Jan 6.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:33 amThere's nothing else to do. Get out the vote. Oh, and if I were a leftie living in the States I would probably be getting myself some firearms and gun lessons right about now. Those "nuts" touting civil war may sound like hyperbole, but if Trump wins - heck, even if he loses - you know there's going to be violence.
Speaking of which, should he win, would you happen to have space on your couch for a family of three? I promise none of us are werewolves. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:04 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:33 am Oh, and if I were a leftie living in the States I would probably be getting myself some firearms and gun lessons right about now. Those "nuts" touting civil war may sound like hyperbole, but if Trump wins - heck, even if he loses - you know there's going to be violence.
From something I read recently, first time firearm purchases by left leaning citizens (and possibly black as well but can't remember) are way up in very recent years. I do wonder if the spike happened after Jan 6.
It happened at the start of COVID and ramped up during the BLM protests. But it also happened to a lesser but noticeable degree after Charlottesville, after the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting, etc. Jan 6 probably saw a bump too but I've never seen anything like COVID and BLM.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Remus West wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:33 amThere's nothing else to do. Get out the vote. Oh, and if I were a leftie living in the States I would probably be getting myself some firearms and gun lessons right about now. Those "nuts" touting civil war may sound like hyperbole, but if Trump wins - heck, even if he loses - you know there's going to be violence.
I promise none of us are werewolves. :D
Said every werewolf, always.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Speaking of which, should he win, would you happen to have space on your couch for a family of three? I promise none of us are werewolves. :D
We got our own fascist problem over here. I may have to bump you over to Germany. :oops:
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:24 pm
We got our own fascist problem over here. I may have to bump you over to Germany. :oops:
NPR has been reporting that Germany has had been actively working on trying to keep fascists out of their government but that the effort is beginning to fail because the fascists have been caucusing with the far right in government, giving them more leverage. It sounds all too familiar.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remus West wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm Speaking of which, should he win, would you happen to have space on your couch for a family of three? I promise none of us are werewolves. :D
First American werewolves in London and Paris, now this! Sneaky American werewolves.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:27 pm
NPR has been reporting that Germany has had been actively working on trying to keep fascists out of their government but that the effort is beginning to fail because the fascists have been caucusing with the far right in government, giving them more leverage. It sounds all too familiar.
All over the world the people are (re)learning the power of hate.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:15 pm All over the world the people are (re)learning the power of hate.
It's fucking horrifying.

We're going to be a chapter in the history books. Killed the planet. Decided democracy is for chumps. Killed each other. Created social media.

We are monsters.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:27 pm
There are folks talking about how this event was overblown. The fascists (AFP) aligned with the Conservative party (CDU) on a vote. The CDU said it wasn't coordinated and they couldn't stop the AFP members for happening to vote for their measure. Still AFP has been steadily gaining in members over the last few years - especially in the former East Germany. Guess they miss the good old days of authoritarianism.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:33 pm https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/05 ... jesus.html

Trump is like Jesus. Apparently.
We established yesterday that evangelicals are leaving Jesus behind because he was too woke. Trump is their real savior.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:54 pm
waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:33 pm https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/05 ... jesus.html

Trump is like Jesus. Apparently.
We established yesterday that evangelicals are leaving Jesus behind because he was too woke. Trump is their real savior.
I mean this is how religions are created. In a thousand years Steve "The Baptist" Banon may be a saint.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:35 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:15 pm All over the world the people are (re)learning the power of hate.
It's fucking horrifying.

We're going to be a chapter in the history books. Killed the planet. Decided democracy is for chumps. Killed each other. Created social media.

We are monsters.
Some future generation or alien species will note that social media:
"Hey, that looks interesting/useful. Lets recreate that!"
And the cycle of doom begins again...