Georgia v. Trump

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Georgia v. Trump

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It’s the beauty of being in a constant state of grift.

Not sure about Meadows, and how much if any $$ support he’s getting from the Trump campaign to fight this, but I think it’s fair to say Meadows is not funding his legal bill by himself.

If he is getting Trump support, it’s almost an infinite well to tap from, just fire off another hyperbolic email to the boomer email list and Bob’s your uncle - you can use your team of legal pawns to fight and appeal in every way possible for as long as it takes. That’s definitely Trump’s MO and has been for decades (the ‘legally grinding your enemy down part).

I’m also sure Trump loves being the “Don” here, with all his allies being in legal trouble, and likely all coming to him to ask for $$ to fight…he gets to thumbs up or thumbs down each pathetic display of sycophantic begging. It probably feels like he’s back on The Apprentice!
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Thank you all for these replies.

I think the part that ‘got me’ was that I assumed this level of ‘paper shifting’ was all at the Judge level and that they would be the ones defending their ruling with the appeals court.

Not that the DA needed to produce material to defend the original plan to have Meadows stand trial in Georgia.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's our version of due process. You can throw a lot of sand in paper form in the gears if you have the money.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 amIt’s the beauty of being in a constant state of grift.
Too true. Also a source of rage to fuel his insurrection.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 am I am not even remotely familiar with how these things work. I, as a layperson, believe it's something along the lines of "provide me with legal reasoning why moving the trial is not appropriate". Or "provide me with legal justification for keeping the trail in State court".

Something along those lines. :think:

I think this is part of the adversarial nature of the justice system. Defense has provided a request with, presumably, reasons why the request is legally justified. The Prosecution now is required to provide legal reasons why the request is not appropriate and should be turned down.

If I'm wrong, my apologies. As I said, I'm a total layperson, but I wanted to respond with my thoughts so you didn't feel quite so alone. :lol:
This is essentially correct. The adversarial system relies upon interested parties providing the court with the best arguments for each option, which the court then evaluates in order to make their decision.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:07 am I’m sorry. Could you explain that more?
Seems like I’m the only one confused and yet no one here is offering much clarity.
You're not the only one, but I'm used to being confounded by legal convolutions (especially given the number of lawyers here who lay it all out in shop talk and acronyms.) I usually just read along, eyes glazed, and wait for the resolution.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:07 am Could she respond with: “Ahh hell, Judge, just let him go to DC with it, I give up!”
As I understand it, it wouldn't even go to DC. They would still be state charges tried in GA, just in a federal court.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:17 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:07 am Could she respond with: “Ahh hell, Judge, just let him go to DC with it, I give up!”
As I understand it, it wouldn't even go to DC. They would still be state charges tried in GA, just in a federal court.
Ahh I think you are right and I think I even knew that at one point here too.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well this was unexpected:

https://themessenger.com/politics/scott ... mp-georgia

Wonder if he took a deal to testify for the prosecution?

Update, pled guilty to 5 misdemeanors, agreed to testify against other defendants. First cracks beginning to show, I suspect there will be others.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Boom!

Bad news for Trump.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:dance:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She didn't strike me as a quitter, so I'm going to assume they presented her with slam-dunk evidence and the reality of what she was facing was just too much.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I guess she Kraken'd under the evidence.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Freyland wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:49 pm I guess she Kraken'd under the evidence.
Or under the threat of hounding her and everyone she even remotely cares for until the end of time. :think:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s not like she’s an election official being hounded by Trump’s brain washed legions. :roll:
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:36 pm
Freyland wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:49 pm I guess she Kraken'd under the evidence.
Or under the threat of hounding her and everyone she even remotely cares for until the end of time. :think:
You sympathize with the worst people.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:10 am
em2nought wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:36 pm
You sympathize with the worst people.
It's not sympathy. He is expressing that victim hood that deplorables trade in.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:clap:
This deserves some praise.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I still wonder - did she really believe the crap she spewed? I mean it was pure conspiracy theory, but otherwise intelligent people sometimes believe stupid stuff, or was it all a cynical ploy? I think we know from Guliani’s testimony in another case, he knew he has no evidence, so I don’t think he was a true believer. But Powell just struck me as a nut case who believed the crap she spewed.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grifman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:04 am I still wonder - did she really believe the crap she spewed? I mean it was pure conspiracy theory, but otherwise intelligent people sometimes believe stupid stuff, or was it all a cynical ploy? I think we know from Guliani’s testimony in another case, he knew he has no evidence, so I don’t think he was a true believer. But Powell just struck me as a nut case who believed the crap she spewed.
I vote crazy. She has that look in her eye. Something’s not right with that one.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:09 am
Grifman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:04 am I still wonder - did she really believe the crap she spewed? I mean it was pure conspiracy theory, but otherwise intelligent people sometimes believe stupid stuff, or was it all a cynical ploy? I think we know from Guliani’s testimony in another case, he knew he has no evidence, so I don’t think he was a true believer. But Powell just struck me as a nut case who believed the crap she spewed.
I vote crazy. She has that look in her eye. Something’s not right with that one.
I agree. True crazy.
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:39 am
Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:09 am
I agree. True crazy.
I think a part of it was a desire for power/influence/riches for someone who isn't too bright (and ps, it worked - she was all over national tv, she was in meetings in the White House, and she raked in bucks from the rubes). And then the only path was to get even deeper into the crazy weeds, one step at a time. The thing about a big lie base on outrage is that one needs to constantly be upping the crazy to keep it in news and keep people from using rationality to oppose the irrational outrage.

Did she believe it? Probably at the start, and then it just became a game, increasingly divorced from reality until the game was everything, and anything necessary to try to win was required. (PS this describes much of the GOP too)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh boy

BREAKING NEWS: Kenneth Chesebro, alleged architect of the “fake electors” plot, has struck a plea deal with prosecutors in Fulton County, Georgia, per source familiar with the arrangement.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

The folks who were attacking Willis about using RICO look really silly right now.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:23 pm Oh boy

BREAKING NEWS: Kenneth Chesebro, alleged architect of the “fake electors” plot, has struck a plea deal with prosecutors in Fulton County, Georgia, per source familiar with the arrangement.
Guilty to at least 1 felony as part of it, allegedly:
Chesebro is set to plead guilty to at least one felony charge as a part of the deal, the source told @lawfare

guess he should have moved before the kraken!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:54 am She didn't strike me as a quitter, so I'm going to assume they presented her with slam-dunk evidence and the reality of what she was facing was just too much.
Rolling Stone seems to think she did exactly that - quit:
Two other sources with knowledge of Powell’s recent moves say that one of the biggest factors in Powell’s decision was simple. The attorney hasn’t lost faith in her conspiracy theories or the anti-democratic lies about the 2020 election being “stolen” from Trump, the sources say. Rather, the sources say, she has privately conveyed that she’s merely beaten down and tired from the legal odyssey her efforts to overturn the election has wrought.

After nearly three years of being at the center of lawsuits and various investigations stemming from the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, according to those with knowledge of her situation, Powell is looking to end her various legal fights. The fact that Trump and most of the Republican elite have essentially abandoned her has also likely sapped Powell’s resolve.
However, she's not out of the woods yet...
Attorneys for Dominion Voting Systems sued Powell for a billion dollars shortly after the election. The suit, which alleges she defamed the company and with bizarre and bogus accusations that its products stole the election from Trump, remains ongoing.

Special Counsel Jack Smith also referred to Powell as one of half a dozen “co-conspirators” who helped Trump “in his criminal efforts to overturn the legitimate results of the 2020 presidential election,” fueling speculation that she could face continued scrutiny in the ongoing Washington, DC federal investigation

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Chesebro is pleading guilty to one felony – conspiracy to commit filing false documents. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending that Chesebro serve 5 years of probation and pay $5,000 in restitution. He agreed to testify at any future trials in the sprawling election subversion case and write an apology letter.
A source familiar with the discussions said the likelihood of Chesebro taking a deal increased after his co-defendant Sidney Powell made a surprise turn and pleaded guilty herself on Thursday, leaving Chesebro as the sole defendant whose trial was scheduled to begin Friday.
Chesebro was originally charged with seven crimes, including a violation of Georgia’s RICO act, conspiracy to commit forgery and conspiracy to commit impersonating a public officer.
Ahead of the trial, Chesebro and Powell lost several bids to get the case thrown out, including earlier this week. In a spate of pretrial rulings, McAfee rejected their arguments that Fulton County prosecutors misapplied Georgia’s RICO law and that the indictment failed to establish key elements of the crimes that have been charged.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

As part of her Dominion lawsuit, I think she has admitted there was no validity to what she was claiming, and that a reasonable person wouldn't believe what she was claiming.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I feel the walls slowly closing in.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

And now Trump legal commando Jenna Ellis has taken a plea deal and flipped. The snowball is rolling downhill.

Many of Trump's named co-defendants are nobodies who don't have the resources to mount sustained legal defenses. (And most of them have to know that Trump will never pay their bills for them.) Surely they see the writing on the wall.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The very light penalties I'm sure will be spun by Fox. 5 years probation and a 5K fine? She better have some good info. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:05 am The very light penalties I'm sure will be spun by Fox. 5 years probation and a 5K fine? She better have some good info. :P
Also 1-5 years in prison.

When they were reading off the terms, she was automatic in the appropriate "yes", "no", etc. responses until it came to something like "Do you understand that you will be barred from owning or using a firearm during the course of your probation?" and she had to have a side chat with her attorney. She answered "yes" but that one stood out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Also 1-5 years in prison.
I’m not seeing any prison time in this Washington Post article?

https://apple.news/AYhKd4voWTqmTigcpr0S8fw
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I just saw 5 years probation. I don't think anyone has gotten jail time so far.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com