State ballot questions 2023

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

State ballot questions 2023

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
  1. Establishes a right to farming, ranching, timber production, horticulture, and wildlife management in the state constitution
  2. Allow local governments to exempt child-care facilities from property taxes
  3. Prohibit a wealth or net worth tax
  4. Increase homestead tax exemption to $100,000 and increase state funding for public education
  5. Renames the National Research University Fund to the Texas University Fund and establishes an ongoing revenue source from the accrued interest of the economic stabilization fund
  6. Creates the Texas Water Fund to finance water projects
  7. Creates the Texas Energy Fund and authorizes funding to modernize electric generation facilities
  8. Creates the Texas Broadband Infrastructure Fund to finance high-speed broadband access
  9. Authorizes the state legislature to make cost-of-living adjustments or other benefit enhancements to eligible annuitants of the teacher retirement system
  10. Authorizes an ad valorem tax exemption on equipment and inventory manufactured by medical or biomedical companies
  11. Authorizes the state legislature to permit conservation and reclamation districts in El Paso County to allow the county to issue bonds to fund parks and recreational facilities
  12. Abolishes the Galveston County treasurer
  13. Increases the mandatory retirement age for state judges from 75 to 79
  14. Creates the Centennial Parks Conservation Fund

I voted YES on 5, 9-11, and 14

I expect to be on the losing end of all of them except #9.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Re: State ballot questions 2023

Post by hitbyambulance »

nothing on the state ballot in WA. just a Seattle housing levy that promises to boost property taxes again... (also, my choices for City Council candidate are both extremely poor. i was not excited in voting this election.)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Nothing here either but I did my part to vote out the local State Senator MAGAt. Sadly we're on the fringe of an increasingly red southern part of NJ so I'm not too hopeful.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We didn't have anything in NJ. Lame.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:34 pm We didn't have anything in NJ. Lame.
NJ doesn't tend to ask voters anything because we don't matter. We'll pretty much elect whoever they choose to put on the party line anyway. /s

Mostly joking! We occasionally get asked to mortgage the future but they haven't done that for a few years now.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Looks like...*checks notes*...oh really...Ohio voters tonight voted to create a state right to abortion in their constitution. Mike DeWine talked last week about how "radical" it was and how it had no chance of passing. I await all the efforts to ignore the result.
Ohio voters said “yes” to enshrining the right to an abortion in the state constitution, the Associated Press projected. The ballot measure would establish in the state constitution an “individual right to one’s own reproductive medical treatment, including but not limited to abortion.”
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

No statewide election here, just lots of local ones. My town had about a dozen races on the ballot, but they were all uncontested except mayor. I voted for the challenger. Polls closed over an hour ago but I don't see results reported yet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We didn't, *but* our elections overall (not only for state positions, but local boards of education) are likely going to serve as a potential predictor of how things are looking in the state for 2024. Sure, it's not a full-on election year so turnout is going to be horrific, however the NJ GOP is really really pushing hard to gain seats and push their agendas into local school boards. I am quite curious (and nervous) to see how things look in our state tomorrow morning.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:44 pm
We didn't, *but* our elections overall (not only for state positions, but local boards of education) are likely going to serve as a potential predictor of how things are looking in the state for 2024. Sure, it's not a full-on election year so turnout is going to be horrific, however the NJ GOP is really really pushing hard to gain seats and push their agendas into local school boards. I am quite curious (and nervous) to see how things look in our state tomorrow morning.
My town was a shitshow. The incumbent mayor lost the primary and waged a write in campaign. People were reporting that in the polling station the one lady was telling people to write in the current mayor. Which is totally illegal. So ya fun. That certainly motivated me to vote for the one who won the primary as f that shit. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:08 pm

Everything is winning at the moment except 13 (Older judges).
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Our local MAGAt State Senator lost, 53-47% to the Democratic candidate who's kind of sleazy but just in your typical NJ politician way so that's a win.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:52 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:08 pm

Everything is winning at the moment except 13 (Older judges).
And final with no change.