[Amazon] Gen V

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Amazon] Gen V

Post by Smoove_B »

Did a search and didn't see anything, so here you go:

It's a spinoff of The Boys and there's no mistaking the connection. :)
Set in the diabolical world of The Boys, Gen V expands the universe to Godolkin University, the prestigious superhero-only college where students train to be the next generation of heroes. Beyond the typical college chaos of finding oneself and partying, these kids are facing explosive situations … literally.
I've watched the first two episodes (three were release on 9/28) and I'm enjoying it so far.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: [Amazon] Gen V

Post by hepcat »

It’s okay, but without a standout character like Butcher or Homelander, it just feels like a decent tasting soup that’s one ingredient away from being a great tasting soup.

Although the Jordan character may step up in that role. I liked them.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I actually like all the characters - Emma (Little Cricket) especially. Her cheerful demeanor contrasts quite nicely with the really dark undertones of the show and the other characters. For the first two episodes, at least. :)

Given the focus of the overall story, it doesn't feel like a cheap add-on -- I think there's potentially interesting things to see/learn given how it all came about (trying to be non-spoiler for those that haven't seen either show).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It just needs ONE Kite Man character....just one...to push it over the top.

Hell Yeah!
Now depoliticized.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I watched and enjoyed the first 3 episodes, but somehow it just made me miss Richie. I really love Jack Quaid I wish he was in everything.

The lead actress is pretty and appealing, but they don’t seem to know how they want to write her. Hopefully that will get ironed out as the show continues. Some of the other characters are interesting from a story viewpoint, but less so in terms of powers.

So let’s talk powers. I don’t really like the main girl’s blood usage power it kind of grosses me out, and I keep wondering does she have physical limitations in terms of the amount of blood she needs to use? It seems like her actual usage spawns way more blood (actually kind of like Spawn), so does that mean she only needs a drop instead of constantly cutting so much? And does she heal after or does she have a ton of scars? Cricket’s power “twist” is actually quite clever, but terribly impractical if they ever want to get her involved in more action. Seems like Vaught could easily develop some sort of pill that would allow her to get the same effect much faster… The other girl’s “push” power is too much like the one in Umbrella Academy. The reliance on touch is just as bad as the whisper, it’s an easy power to use for a show but kind of dull otherwise. I don’t really understand what the Trans character’s actual power is, and the other guy too, and for that matter the brother as well. Just seems like non-descript super strength. All in all kind of dull. I think they really missed an opportunity to do something creative/clever with these core characters in terms of powers.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll see if the wife is interested in checking it out, if not, with wheel of time wrapping up I need a solo show, so probably checking it out either way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 3 was good. The story’s moving and the characters are beginning to gel.
Now depoliticized.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watched the first 2 yesterday, might watch the third tonight. Some of the superpowers are really out there...I'm still not sure I understand the deal with the girl's blood...
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One thing I'm not sure I like in this last episode though is
Spoiler:
they're suddenly revealing that supes are sensitive to sound? That seems like a cheap plot point to toss in this late in the Boys franchise.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Things take a pretty big turn in Ep4. Seems like there's a significant plot element coming in Ep5
Spoiler:
I had to watch the preview to fully understand the ending of Ep4. Collectively missing time and now trying to figure out what happened? That can't be good.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:28 am It just needs ONE Kite Man character....just one...to push it over the top.

Hell Yeah!
C'mon, *that's* the hero you would add? Not a charming rogue with paste or stickiness-based powers?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I told you about my issues in secret, goddamn it!

By the way, I've amended my earlier opinion and I think Sam is the break out star (along with Cricket as a supporting character for him). I really don't want him gone in the near future and I hope they focus more on him. He really has a ton of on screen charisma. Not Antony Starr Homelander levels of charisma (yet), but much more than any of the other cast with the possible exception of Polarity's kid (who was good in Sabrina on Netflix).

I have almost zero interest in the current female lead's story/situation. She's just....bland.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can't say I saw the story twist coming with the missing time - even though it should have been pretty obvious.
Spoiler:
I think they've been doing a great job of subverting your expectations a bit with the characters. For example, in the first episode it seemed like they were going to have Golden Boy, Andre, Cate be typical popular kid / bullies. But they weren't at all. Now I guess we'll get to unpack what Cate has really be up to and why.
And regarding Sam
Spoiler:
I think they were teasing this for a few weeks, but actually seeing it last night in the storm drain tunnel was awesome. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that was a pretty great episode. I'm even more sure that Sam should be the breakout star of the show at this point; but alas, I fear his tale will not end happily. :(

And also yeah, the twist was great.

edit: oh, hey, thanks internet! (fight scene, don't watch if you haven't seen latest episode)
Spoiler:
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's already been renewed for another season:
Prime Video renewed its Boys spin-off for season two today, bringing another victory to the streaming giant’s superhero efforts. Gen V may not be as rapturously received as its predecessors, The Boys and the animated series Invincible, it is currently the top show on Prime and one of the biggest on streaming. As a result, Marvel is currently eating Prime Video’s lunch.

After launching The Boys in 2019, Prime Video has avoided going full-bore into the genre. There have been three eight-episode seasons of The Boys and one eight-episode season of Invincible, with one special over the summer and a second season coming next month. Meanwhile, Marvel, deep in Phase Flop, released six new series, many featuring A-list characters and stars, with diminishing returns.

Prime Video has found new ways of creating superhero stories that have less to do with the universe at large and more to do with finding original ways into character. This includes meaningfully changing genres and styles, which provides for trying things like adult animation and satire. The Boys isn’t beholden to a universe of entries, nor is Gen V. To wit, audiences don’t need to spend more than a hundred hours of homework to watch an episode of television designed to give them some respite from the horrors of the world. The pressure to understand everything has become a barrier to entry that some would rather not deal with. Right now, what audiences want isn’t a universe, but a character they can connect with, think about, or disagree with. Maybe that’s more entertaining than slowly watching a universe expand.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oof, that is a brutal slap at Marvel. But I can’t say I disagree.

Latest episode of Gen V brought back
Spoiler:
Soldier Boy…in a way. He cracks me up every time.
Now depoliticized.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:09 pm It's already been renewed for another season:
Prime Video renewed its Boys spin-off for season two today, bringing another victory to the streaming giant’s superhero efforts. Gen V may not be as rapturously received as its predecessors, The Boys and the animated series Invincible, it is currently the top show on Prime and one of the biggest on streaming. As a result, Marvel is currently eating Prime Video’s lunch.

After launching The Boys in 2019, Prime Video has avoided going full-bore into the genre. There have been three eight-episode seasons of The Boys and one eight-episode season of Invincible, with one special over the summer and a second season coming next month. Meanwhile, Marvel, deep in Phase Flop, released six new series, many featuring A-list characters and stars, with diminishing returns.

Prime Video has found new ways of creating superhero stories that have less to do with the universe at large and more to do with finding original ways into character. This includes meaningfully changing genres and styles, which provides for trying things like adult animation and satire. The Boys isn’t beholden to a universe of entries, nor is Gen V. To wit, audiences don’t need to spend more than a hundred hours of homework to watch an episode of television designed to give them some respite from the horrors of the world. The pressure to understand everything has become a barrier to entry that some would rather not deal with. Right now, what audiences want isn’t a universe, but a character they can connect with, think about, or disagree with. Maybe that’s more entertaining than slowly watching a universe expand.
I thought The Boys and Gen V are not actually superheroes show. They're parodies of superheroes show, right?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure how you can parody something without having the thing you're parodying be an essential part of the show.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, they're absolutely superhero shows. They work (imho) because they're constantly subverting your expectations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The whole deconstruction of the superhero/superhero as a villain thing has been done to death...but The Boys takes it to a comically over the top level, which is why it works so well.
Now depoliticized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:20 am The whole deconstruction of the superhero/superhero as a villain thing has been done to death...but The Boys takes it to a comically over the top level, which is why it works so well.
Mostly because most that address it have lines that they don't cross. The Boys is able to bend those lines into pretzels.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm still really enjoying the show. I'm liking the characters a lot more now that they had some time to flesh them out. I guess I've always been a sucker for psychic power stuff.

One question about last ep...
Spoiler:
Did that cute guy in the robe just get annihilated for real when he blew up in the mind space? And then no one mentioned it after or did I miss anything? I guess he was just a guest star but that was kind of uncalled for lol
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also found that odd. I assume he's dead, Jim.
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First season ended last night; I'd say it was a great run. The final episode is rather short (in comparison to the other 7), but it sure does set up where this is all going (at least I think it does).

That said, I'm not sure if people that were watching it as a true stand alone show are going to be happy as it feels like maybe this was a secret "side season" of The Boys overall. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I hope it continues.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Disappointed it didn't go further. 8 episode seasons suck.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hell of a lot better than the old standard of 22 episodes a season for a story that only needed 8. You can only pad a story so much before it falls apart.
Now depoliticized.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:03 pm Hell of a lot better than the old standard of 22 episodes a season for a story that only needed 8. You can only pad a story so much before it falls apart.
I'm old enough to remember when 22 episodes could be well done (say...M*A*S*H). If current producers are too incompetent to do something like that, it's on them -- why the hell should I downgrade my expectations?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because the number of shows that didn’t suffer due to padding to get to that number is vastly less than those that did.
Now depoliticized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There's such a thing as too efficient.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not if the goal of said efficiency is to tell a concise and entertaining story without padding it to a specific number set by marketing.

I used to think the BBC shows that only ran 10 to 12 episodes a season were goofy…until I realized they were more interested in telling a good story, and not running a show based on a specific number created to maximize commercial viewing, There’s a reason that even a lot of broadcast television shows have far less than 22 episodes a season on average these days.

Now, if you want quantity over quality, may I point you to the healthy selection of Mexican telenovelas on Netflix? Some of those have like 400 episodes a year. How the hell is that possible? Are they using a special calendar???
Now depoliticized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

/edit - I said stuff, but I think I'm going to move this entire thing to the Golden Age of Streaming thread.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished Gen V tonight. Came in with pretty low expectations, but was very pleasantly surprised by how excellent this show was.

So far, The Boys universe can do no wrong.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Finished it today. It was interesting and generally fun. I felt some of the sidekick characters were more interesting than Marie. Jordan and Crickett were great and I would like more focus on them. Marie's story has been done before (the superhero who is sad because they killed someone long ago). Jordan's character is much more unique. Emma is less unique but much less brooding batman than Marie's. It seems like they gloss over a LOT of deaths in the show both supers and regular people. Honestly, it got a bit tiresome how much they just went along like some ants died. Still it was well acted and the story was pretty good. Most characters seemed true to themselves. I have to say I was quite disappointed in the ending.
Spoiler:
Homelander arrives and blasts Marie and they all end up in a room? Not much of a payoff really. Felt very similar to them just not remembering. Is this a way to get from A to B without spending the money to get there?
I'll gladly watch the next season, though.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni