2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Fardaza

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Fardaza »

Anybody know if the Gamefound Heroes of Might and Magic is any good? Heard any previews or rumors? I love the video games. But, I'm leery of the board game.

It sure looks cool though! I think I've got less than a week to get in on it if I choose to. The second wave is scheduled for delivery Q2 24.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, just got the Dead Reckoning expansions and upgrade stuff. Man, I love that game. :wub:
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:11 pm Whoo hoo, just got the Dead Reckoning expansions and upgrade stuff. Man, I love that game. :wub:
I just got my tracking number for it, should be here tomorrow.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm a little miffed that they didn't at least send stickers for the harbor board to get them up to the new edition standards. And that they left out one stinking card in a saga pack when they did add about a half dozen others.

For the harbor board, i didn't expect a brand new one, but as i said, a small set of 3 stickers would have fixed it for me. Sure, they're just reminder icons, but I like having that kind of stuff on the board.
He won. Period.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I got my pledge too and for some reason they gave me an extra copy of Saga 2 and the Ghost Ship :ninja: .

Can't wait to try it :D
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The Old King's Crown: blah blah blah.
Love the art, and it's got bidding, bluffing, deception, and a bunch of other stuff I like.
Backed.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I support that decision. Looked good but already committed this month.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:52 pm The Old King's Crown: blah blah blah.
Love the art, and it's got bidding, bluffing, deception, and a bunch of other stuff I like.
Backed.
How do you bluff and deceive during a solo game?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fardaza wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:21 am
Archinerd wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:52 pm The Old King's Crown: blah blah blah.
Backed.
It's easy - I lie to myself all the time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

It is easy to do!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Fardaza wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:21 am
Backed.
It looks like in the solo version you are given hints as to what is on the other side of the AI's cards so you have something to inform your actions. A different experience than playing with my frenemies, but it's nice to have the option.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:01 am The successor to Duel of Ages:

Includes solo play, co-op campaign and access to an STL library if you want miniatures. The only knock is that the co-op/solo set requires an "all in" pledge (you must own set 1 and set 2).
Sigh....I'm in.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I sold the western Zombicide that I said was going to be my last Zombicide and the one I kept in my collection. I am officially done with Zombicide and this time I mean it! At this point I'd like to say I am officially done with Kickstarter (after Lords of Vegas arrives anyway) but that seems too bold a statement.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:00 pm I sold the western Zombicide that I said was going to be my last Zombicide and the one I kept in my collection.
It's the only zombicide I own and I'm planning on using the minis for some other wild west minis games I own, so I'm hanging onto mine. Plus, I like the game quite a bit more after adding the steampunk expansion with its campaign rules (as light as they are).
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:32 pm

Includes solo play, co-op campaign and access to an STL library if you want miniatures. The only knock is that the co-op/solo set requires an "all in" pledge (you must own set 1 and set 2).
Sigh....I'm in.
Ditto, I am all-in on the Full Series pledge (and seriously contemplating The Collector pledge, so as to gift an additional Full Series set for someone else).

I'll always have a soft spot for Duel of Ages II and its developer. Because once learned, the original game still holds up as one of the greatest, most enjoyable tabletop gaming experiences of all time. But realistically, trying to teach and play the original game with newbies combined with its time-consuming set-up was always a challenge. So, while I may miss some items that have been streamlined away, if Worldspanner Factions makes it easier to get to the table and introduce to new players? Then this will be an undeniably superb bargain, and definitely money well-spent. All the more so if it now includes solid AI and provides enjoyable solo gameplay to boot.

For anyone unfamiliar with these games or otherwise on the fence, I think the following video aptly sums up what makes 'em so uniquely and remarkably compelling:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I grabbed the Full Series pledge, which has everything needed for the solo and coop campaign modes.

I have everything for DoA II and have very fond memories of some great game nights with it. :wub:
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Here's a prototype partial solo playthrough of Worldspanner Factions along with first impressions courtesy of One Stop Co-op Shop.

Just to further clarify however, the solo campaign and story-based set up shown is entirely optional. So, you can instead opt to simply play solo skirmish mode games, selecting from all characters and random enemies, if team management ain't your cuppa:

I must admit, in terms of playing solo, I'd personally prefer to see and play a digital version. All the more so in fact, considering the designer's background as a software architect. But the Worldspanner Factions FAQs clarifies this is not his priority though, so probably won't happen anytime soon:
Worldspanner Factions - FAQs wrote: DIGITAL VERSION: Is there a virtual tabletop version of Worldspanner Factions?

There is not a digital version. As the designer, I know this limits some people from wanting to check out the game, but I do very much care about getting players around a table and enjoying face to face time. Factions is a very rare Team Co-op game. It's one of the most enjoyable us vs. them events, a lot of active laughing and chatting and boasts and team camaraderie. And the campaign is that as well. It's a great experience, one I have deliberately worked to produce (I'm a software architect and it would be easier to make a digital version than a real version). One day there is likely to be a digital version, but it's not my priority.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Damn, Wondrous Creatures is a tableau builder and Pokémon-like collect-em board game, but it’s the meeples that I can’t resist. Just when I was trying to get out…
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got my copy of 20 Strong in yesterday. It had the strong chemical dice smell but I just washed them in soap and water and they were fine. The red die had one tiny defect where one of the hit sides wasn't completely printed, but it's really minor. I'll put in a ticket to get it replaced just because, but it won't impact gameplay at all.

Hoping to get some time in with it tomorrow night.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Cmon DCeased is live.

All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm noticing a trend recently. A lot of kickstarters are starting to break through the 200 dollar ceiling, so some pledge managers are now offering "pay over time" options. Oof.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I think DCeased is $130 + $40 shipping = $170 for a base pledge. Sure, that will include the KS exclusives box, but $170 minimum seems to be the new floor.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, by the way, did you see the latest update from Blacklist Games (one of their once per year updates, I should clarify) in which they state they've found another partner to take over the shipping of all their products (Street Masters, Dire Alliance, etc.) and that we're going to get all our stuff in the not too distant future?

...fool me once, shame on you. fool me 27 times, shame on...well, you again.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I have four crowdfunded BLG projects that are MIA. I don't believe for a second I'll see any of them. Ever. I've been disappointed in KS projects before and I don't blame the Sadler brothers (entirely) for what happened, but I also backed projected based on their association. That they both eventually smoke-bombed their way into the darkness when things when sideways is something I'll never forget.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've got Dire Alliance and the Tide of the Dragon (not sure how a dragon can have a tide, but oh well) expansion for SM. I'm assuming you also backed the miniature boxes?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dire Alliance Horror
Street Masters Tide of the Dragon
Buddy Cop
Lasting Tales
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you get the Lasting Tales pdf? I know I got a link to it a while back and it was actually pretty interesting. I didn't back it, they just gave it out to people who backed some of their other stuff. I think it was an attempt at increasing good will towards them, although at this point that's the proverbial deck chair off a sinking Titanic.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I have the PDF and you're right - it was an effort to buy goodwill. It's all vaporized.

When the Fantasy S1 miniatures finally arrived after being 2 years late, I realized how much had changed with respect to miniature detailing. Had they been released in 2020, they would have been lower-tier but still ok, imho. But when they actually arrived in 2022 they looked dated. I can only assume the ones shipping with Lasting Tales would look even worse in comparison to today's current baseline quality.

For the actual game, no idea how it will look or feel in comparison to the absolutely amazing tabletop system agnostic rules that have been released in the years since that KS was funded.

So yeah, I'm pretty bitter about all of it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I largely backed away from Kickstarter when I started seeing projects go from:

Shipping estimate: $Y

to

Shipping to be determined at time of distribution.

I can decide if my budget can afford $Y (even as an estimate) before I commit. I cannot decide if my budget in a year and a half will be able to afford a completely unknown number, especially when the project is one with multiple optional addons. They're literally asking people to commit to paying a sum that they'll disclose later.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 pm I largely backed away from Kickstarter when I started seeing projects go from:

to

I can decide if my budget can afford $Y (even as an estimate) before I commit. I cannot decide if my budget in a year and a half will be able to afford a completely unknown number, especially when the project is one with multiple optional addons. They're literally asking people to commit to paying a sum that they'll disclose later.
I suspect that part of this is the crazy shipping prices they have to deal with. They too can't really know what the cost will be a year or so later. Rather than guessing wrong and having to either ask for more money or eat the extra cost. I am starting to see a bunch whete shipping prices will be cl8ser to shipping dates to get a more realistic estimate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 pm I largely backed away from Kickstarter when I started seeing projects go from:

to

I suspect that part of this is the crazy shipping prices they have to deal with. They too can't really know what the cost will be a year or so later. Rather than guessing wrong and having to either ask for more money or eat the extra cost. I am starting to see a bunch whete shipping prices will be cl8ser to shipping dates to get a more realistic estimate.
They started doing it during the pandemic when prices were fluctuating, ports were closed, paper (box) factories were shut down, etc. I get that they did it out of fear of prices increasing dramatically, but it makes it anything that could cost more than a few dollars to ship a huge risk when you've got a tight budget. The only one that did that that I actually backed was Reaper Bones 6. I have been afraid to add many extras to the order, and I'm still stressed that I'm going to wake up in a few months and find a $150 shipping bill due immediately.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I've backed a few KSs since then.
I think a few asked for small amounts as true requests. If you couldn't pay more they still shipped to you. I paid for them anyway and they delivered.
Only one has been asking for ridiculous amounts and I'm honestly not sure if they will deliver. I'm pretty positive tjey will ask for more again.
It's for Rainbow 6 Siege. It seems that this is a company issue at this point since they have done tjis on other games that still haven't delivered.
It also wasn't a request. It was a ransom. Either pay extra or get nothing and lose your entire investment.
At the time, this was the only choice given.
A few months later they gave you an option to drop your pledge level until the money you alreafy paid was enough to cover your new pledge.
This is what I did bit I'm not going to be surprised when they put out a new ransom down the road or just come bavk and say sorry we miscalculated again and won't actually be delivering at all.
They must know that this is the death bell for their company since it's an established pattern now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I read up on that Siege thing. I'm not worried about the 'asking extra', as I only back(ed) large projects from established creators, and only after checking through the comments on their last few projects. I'm just worried about "We'll calculate the shipping when we ship it to you."

And I have still backed a few since then - just those with estimated shipping, no all-ins unless they had low prices. I'm even more limited now, though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, they just added The Question as a hero for DCeased: Zombicide. I will resist...but sheesh... :oops:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually happy that I haven't got a chance in hell of backing it, or I'd be fighting temptation.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:28 pm Oh man, they just added The Question as a hero for DCeased: Zombicide. I will resist...but sheesh... :oops:
Sage or Montoya? (Yes, I am re-reading 52.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Vic Sage, it seems.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I already backed it at base level. I may increase on last day when all options are finally out depending on funds at the time. It's actually very bad timing because pax unplugged starts the day after.
However, I knew I would back it in some form once it was announced. I'm a sucker for Zombicide. I am trying to cut back though. I'm hoping that I can resist their mext one...unless its Star Wars based.. or maybe even Star Trek based... but a SW one would probably be an all-in one.
This one might be too.
I have however done major cuts in my KS purchases. Mostly due to finances from being on a fixed income.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:54 pm I'm a sucker for Zombicide. I am trying to cut back though.
Just one more, man. I'll quit tomorrow, I swear!