[SCAM ALERT] - Steam account hijackings are starting again.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

[SCAM ALERT] - Steam account hijackings are starting again.

Post by Blackhawk »

This isn't the thread to report individual hijackings in, but with multiple OOers hit in the past 24 hours, I figured it was worth a quick heads-up to make sure everyone recognizes the scam that's hit a huge number of OO members. If you get a message on Steam that looks like this...

...then you are talking to a hijacked account. This post from last time has all the details on how you should respond (don't just block them or call them on it - that slows down the response.) It's also where new hijackings should be reported.

Now that you've seen what's going on, kindly ignore this thread (unless you feel it needs bumped.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Re: [SCAM ALERT] - Steam account hijackings are starting again.

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My browser shows OO as "Not Secure" (and has for a while IIRC). Not just this browser. Not sure if related.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:36 pm My browser shows OO as "Not Secure" (and has for a while IIRC). Not just this browser. Not sure if related.
Ditto. Not related but just know that at worst you want to make sure you use a unique password for OO, which you should do anyway. Essentially the connection is not encrypted which means a reasonable monitor knows everything you send and receive... Like your site password. If you were making payments via OO, it would be a concern.

Edit: This explains it better than I can

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:36 pm My browser shows OO as "Not Secure" (and has for a while IIRC). Not just this browser. Not sure if related.
Do you go to

https://www.octopusoverlords.com

or

http://www.octopusoverlords.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, HTTPS used to not work. Now I need to change my bookmark.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So this is why no one responds to me when I try to chat with people..Ill say 'Sup?' followed by 'can you help me' and Ill finally say 'why r u silent' before giving up :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:47 pm
Do you go to

https://www.octopusoverlords.com

or

http://www.octopusoverlords.com
Ahhhh, the latter. Changing bookmark now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I was playing Monster Hunter yesterday and got that message. I was confused for a second as to why the person was contacting me and then realized it was a voting scam. Like dude stop messaging me I can't pause this fight. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There is a lot on QT3 on this now as I guess several people have fallen for it.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got another message today. Guess it works.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Yeah, I fell for it. I had no idea this was a scam going around, and now I feel like an ENORMOUS idiot.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Considering the sheer number of people here and elsewhere, mostly smart, tech-savvy people, who fell for it, I think it's more a case of a well-designed scam than people being foolish. Everything along the way looks legitimate - there are surprisingly few red flags.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe I'm just wired different because the minute anyone contacts me via chat with "sup", I'm immediately suspect. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:05 pm Maybe I'm just wired different because the minute anyone contacts me via chat with "sup", I'm immediately suspect. :)
So... you're the scammer, then... :hawk:
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

See, and when I see "sup" I immediately assume that the sender is Jesus. You know, let us sup.
Downwards Compatible
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

We can chat here? I'm not much of a talker anyway. This dude who desperately thinks I'm his friend (because I was so helpful and kind to him when he was a customer) cornered me at harborfreight the other night and he kept talking "at" me for over two hours before I could make my escape. No one else can stand the guy and I was instantly sorry when I accepted his money as a customer just as I knew I would be. :doh:

I successfully ducked the guy for three years and now I'm leaving again so happy days. I've got my very identifiable vehicle parked somewhere other than my condo as I don't want him finding me. :lol: I fell sorry for him, but at the same time not my circus not my monkeys. He is toxic.
Who knew you could have demands that people would meet, we'll be ready next January. LMAO
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:51 pm there are surprisingly few red flags.
It's a well-known scam that has been in use for years now. Getting a Steam message from a friend asking you to vote for their Counter-Strike team is the red flag. It's up there with getting an email from a Nigerian prince. :lol:

I'm probably more paranoid than most, but any sort of message asking me to click a hyperlink is a red flag for me.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:37 am
It's a well-known scam that has been in use for years now. Getting a Steam message from a friend asking you to vote for their Counter-Strike team is the red flag. It's up there with getting an email from a Nigerian prince. :lol:

I'm probably more paranoid than most, but any sort of message asking me to click a hyperlink is a red flag for me.
I'm hyper-paranoid about this stuff and don't ever (EVER!) use my Steam Login for anything but logging into Steam. I refuse to even do those "Your Year in Review" things, as they need you to do just that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

"Here is a link, and you will be asked for your credentials at that link" are all the red flags I need.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:49 am
Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:37 am

I'm hyper-paranoid about this stuff and don't ever (EVER!) use my Steam Login for anything but logging into Steam. I refuse to even do those "Your Year in Review" things, as they need you to do just that.
I thought twice about the year in review. So I guess I'm just paranoid and not hyper paranoid. After I don't know how long I finally let fanatical link to my Steam account in late last year. I've trust Epic to do nothing. I use Paypal to make payments to all of the gaming sites.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eel Snave wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:22 pm See, and when I see "sup" I immediately assume that the sender is Jesus. You know, let us sup.
I checked and you were the message I got yesterday. Started exactly the same as the other one.

Sup,

:P

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:21 pm
Eel Snave wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:22 pm See, and when I see "sup" I immediately assume that the sender is Jesus. You know, let us sup.
I checked and you were the message I got yesterday. Started exactly the same as the other one.

Sup,

:P
Well, good news is everything is fixed, password changed and lesson learned. I still feel like a huge dumbass, but it could be worse.
Downwards Compatible
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Commenting on the last few posts in the Meta thread. That's where the discussion should be - it keeps things centralized so that people can see it in the future, increasing the utility of the post.

I only posted this thread to make sure people were aware of it - other than bumping, the discussion should take place there, not here.