Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic - A colony builder set in the Cold War era

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic - A colony builder set in the Cold War era

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been watching this game for quite a while, thinking I was going to wait till full release, but it is pretty close to that now and since there is a -35% sale going on I decided to take the leap. For those interested, there is a demo available through the Steam store that allows access to the full game, except that you are limited in only being able to build so many of this building or so many of that vehicle. There is an in-game tutorial you can go through that nicely shows off the mechanics of the game.

So this is a colony builder, except instead of some mysterious island, or maybe Mars, it is in a mythical Soviet Republic with start dates of 1960, 1970 or 1980. Your task is to go there and start building up a town that will eventually grow to a city and then to a whole province. There are varying levels of difficulty from Very Easy to Realistic. Very Easy is where you plop down residences and industries and other buildings and folks show up and you have a town going. The increasing difficulties add complexity and depth. Things like providing power and water to the buildings and taking away sewage and garbage.

Only it's not just connecting up a line and voilà, there's your water system (for instance). You have to provide a source, like a well or a pumping station that connects to a lake. Then you need to send the water to a treatment plant. And then you need to distribute the water which means making sure you have the right size pipes. And just wait till you check out the details of the sewage system :roll:

Since it's the Soviet block countries and therefore cold, you also need to provide heating to buildings which means a lot of underground pipes and the heating plant etc. And everything needs power to run and that means high voltage lines feeding low voltage lines and substations and whatnot.

So, that's just the basics, but remember I'm talking about the hardest difficulty here, Realistic, so don't panic. And then there's people management. People are invited to come live in your new town, but you have to provide for them. Food, clothes, entertainments, spirituality, culture, etc. And even then you need to do something to make sure they are Loyal... people who don't have enough Loyalty might be tempted to escape to the West. So you need your Secret Police :ninja:.

Did I mention you can also build trains? Not just the tracks, although you do build those, including signalling and rail yards, etc. No, you actually can build your own locomotives and railcars. Cool. Also automobiles. And airplanes.

And it snows in winter, so you need to have a part of your infrastructure set up to handle removing snow so your trucks and buses can keep going.

And you'll need orphanages, because when people don't have enough Loyalty and start being a nuisance they end up in prison and you'll need to do something with the kids. Till they are old enough to be put to work of course.

Did I mention that the game supports Steam Workshop and there are already over 8600 mods available?

If you have questions please post them and I'll try to post some more impressions and screenshots, like this one:

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Re: Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic - A colony builder set in the Cold War era

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Doesn't sound very "mythical" at all based on your description! :P

But it does sound and look amazing...wishlisted!

Since you take so many hits for the board, would you consider also picking up and giving us the thumbs up or thumbs down on Espresso Tycoon? :P

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1543 ... so_Tycoon/

Gets rave reviews so far.

Edit: Nevermind, it's a casual game. It had a demo so I tried it out. Very much cookie cutter management game. I think it could be fun for what it is, if you are in that mood.
jztemple2

Re: Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic - A colony builder set in the Cold War era

Post by jztemple2 »

Nope, going to pass on Espresso Tycoon, it just doesn't look all that engaging to me.

Meanwhile I've put more time in WRSR and I keep having to remind myself that this isn't Tropico or the like. I have workers who (when I can get them to do it) ride a bus out to a job, work their eight hours and just fade away :shock:, never riding the bus back. According to a Discord poster this is because the devs haven't been able to implement the full tracking of individuals, so when a worker finishes their shift they just magically appear back in their residences. I'm putting the game aside for now since more updates are expected before the end of the year and I don't want to have to unlearn stuff.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That’s called “defecting”. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:12 am I've been watching this game for quite a while, thinking I was going to wait till full release, but it is pretty close to that now and since there is a -35% sale going on I decided to take the leap.
Yeah, I've also had my eye on this game for a while too. Watched a guy that's been youtubing it. Eventually I will crack this open. I'll probably wait a bit though.

It's a very slow game to develop. (speaking of game-play, not coding/development)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This looks right up my alley, but I'll wait until it's fully baked.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:22 pm This looks right up my alley, but I'll wait until it's fully baked.
Definitely a good idea. The devs have really done a lot of good work with providing the various features, but some of the mechanics need to be tweaked or even fixed. However, when they complete it, it will be one of those colony builders you can really sink a lot of time into.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:12 amPeople are invited to come live in your new town, but you have to provide for them. Food, clothes, entertainments, spirituality, culture, etc.
Spirituality? As in religion? Wasn't the Soviet Union against that?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hipolito wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:33 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:12 amPeople are invited to come live in your new town, but you have to provide for them. Food, clothes, entertainments, spirituality, culture, etc.
Spirituality? As in religion? Wasn't the Soviet Union against that?
Officially the USSR government was against it, but many of the Soviet republics had deep religious roots and there was a tacit acceptance by the local officials to allow religious activity. While the player cannot build places of worship, the starting maps (if you choose the option to have local villages already in place) do have churches and you can provide transport to bring your new citizens there.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Major update! Version 0.9.0.11 out now!
We’re very pleased to announce that update 0.9.0.11 is rolling out for all players. This patch introduces the first two missions of the dedicated campaign, the first of which acts as the official tutorial for the game.

There are also new default maps, vehicles, a new type of airfield, and more! Here is our usual summary video outlining the major changes:

Main features list:
  • Added two campaigns
  • Introduced two new default maps
  • Added new fences, decorations, and a few mods integrated into the vanilla game
  • Introduced new vehicles
  • Added new sounds
  • Added mud airfields
  • Introduced new loading screens
  • Various graphical replacements
  • Additional Features and Fixes

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Man, I love the music.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That actually seems pretty neat.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"