Death Penalty

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

disarm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by disarm »

Blackhawk wrote:I come back to what I've said before: We have painless ways to execute people. I've had enough surgeries to know that we can knock someone out without them batting an eyelash, and a hundred ways to kill someone once they're out. We also have these tools called 'guns', and it wouldn't be that hard to come up with something that was the equivalent of a shotgun in the mouth. Not pretty, but instant and painless.

And yet we choose these convoluted, questionable methods that result in fear and pain, and in most cases we can't ever confirm, because the person who experienced it is dead.
I could tell you a foolproof, quick and painless medication cocktail for lethal injection. It's really not difficult at all, but those of us in the medical community have agreed that assisting with these protocols falls outside the ethical commitment to 'do no harm.'

So what happens? They recruit individuals with inadequate knowledge or technical skills and things go wrong. The lethal injection protocols followed by many states (available for review by an easy Google search) are very effective and peaceful in principal, using medication dosages so far beyond what is actually necessary that they'll definitely work. The reason you hear about problems is often because the people carrying out the execution screw it up as a result of poor training... trying to use IV access that isn't placed correctly (ie not actually in a vein), injecting medications in the wrong order, or any number of other mistakes. Done correctly, the technique accomplishes the task well.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What about using the method death with dignity states use?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking through history the most humane death was the guillotine.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:27 pm Looking through history the most humane death was the guillotine.
We have much more humane methods developed for euthanasia.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How about we let the condemned choose amongst, say, injection, suffocation, firing squad, and guillotine? I suspect that most would opt to be "put to sleep" but some might prefer the firing squad or hypoxia. I really doubt that anyone would prefer having their head chopped off. But giving them a choice is arguably the most humane option, insofar as execution can be compatible with humanitarianism.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:37 pm the equivalent of a shotgun in the mouth. Not pretty, but instant and painless.
I'll never forget being subjected to a couple of days in school in 6th grade, where local cops came in and showed us videos of people who drank and drive, did drugs, suicide, etc. Deaths...very very graphic scenes of death. One of the slides was someone who attempted to commit suicide with a shotgun. but missed...and just severely maimed him. Not really sure what the actual lesson we were supposed to take from that was, but in MY brain, it was "never try suicide via shotgun".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:43 pm Not really sure what the actual lesson we were supposed to take from that was, but in MY brain, it was "never try suicide via shotgun".
"Learn to aim."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:29 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:43 pm Not really sure what the actual lesson we were supposed to take from that was, but in MY brain, it was "never try suicide via shotgun".
"Learn to aim."
A friend of mine killed himself this way many years ago. I've always been grateful that I wasn't the one to find him. I used to go to his house 2-3 times a week after work, but I went off to college and we lost touch a couple of years before he pulled the trigger.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have hadthe 'luck' to be the one to find two different suicides. One was a plastic bag suffocation, the other a gunshot to the head.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.