Stormgate ...ex Blizzard folk

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Stormgate ...ex Blizzard folk

Post by Daehawk »

Lots and lots of ex Blizzard folk out there starting their own companies. This one is Frost Giant Studios.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Re: Stormgate ...ex Blizzard folk

Post by Lordnine »

Nova and D.Va fight Diablo...are we sure this isn't Heroes of the Storm part 2? :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its Hellgate: Europa
naednek

Post by naednek »

I was thinking it was a blend of starcraft and diablo
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

It's ... a free-to-play RTS?

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well thats disappointing. O dont care for online mp only rts's. I was hoping for a story driven single player told with sweeping cinematic videos.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:40 pm Well thats disappointing. O dont care for online mp only rts's. I was hoping for a story driven single player told with sweeping cinematic videos.
Take on the campaign alone
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can play Stormgate now...its in open beta

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2012510/Stormgate/

Homepage

Enlarge Image

Video
Spoiler:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep, that sure is Warcraft 3 with Starcraft units. It has promise but is super early. The enemy AI basically doesn’t exist and the interface is rough.

One thing that made me happy though was that it feels like what I remember RTS games being like, as opposed to what they actually were. By that I mean the time to kill is reasonable, when I went back and tried StarCraft, I was floored by how fast units died.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:12 pm Yep, that sure is Warcraft 3 with Starcraft units. It has promise but is super early. The enemy AI basically doesn’t exist and the interface is rough.

One thing that made me happy though was that it feels like what I remember RTS games being like, as opposed to what they actually were. By that I mean the time to kill is reasonable, when I went back and tried StarCraft, I was floored by how fast units died.
What what I had come to dislike about RTS games in general by the time they kinda fizzled. In the beginning day like C&C and Warcraft 2 you could take your time and build up. You didn't get rushed by a overpowered ai so fast you were still way behind and building your deffense. Im a turtler. I like to get the minimum built I can start putting up turrets. I love turrets..in ALL games from TF2 to RTS games. I like to get my deff going and so then the enemy can come find me about that time and its a close call but then i get the upper hand. So then i can build more then spread out THEN go look kto see where the enemy is THEN build an army.

Last time my and my friend tried to co op skirmish the AI on lowest settings in the first Starcraft we both got ran over in the first 5 min. Was not fun at all. And that was way before SC2 or anything else. I think the rushing hurry hurry started in Total Annihilation 1. I loved the game but bored of it quickly and moved on. I will say I liked the commander idea and having new units they gave away from on their Cavedog web page.
raydude

Post by raydude »

meh. Maybe it's just me but for all their talk of "innovation" it's still just a variation on WC3 heroes. I remember one of the first big RTS innovations was in Company of Heroes, when they introduced anti-tank guns that had a range longer than the screen. All they needed was friendly units placed beyond their view who could spot enemies and the enemy tanks would die from offscreen fire. I was amazed.

When my friends and I played Co-OP comp stomps I'd build AT guns and put them back from the front, with infantry units in cover behind tank obstacles as "roadblocks". Kept away the enemy armored force while my other "turtle" friends hunkered down and built up their forces. Sadly, I recall seeing one of my friends who was a "traditional RTS" player bring up his AT guns within range of my soldiers and have them die over and over again because he couldn't grasp that the AT guns didn't have to see their target to shoot it. It's that kind of "traditional RTS" mentality that keeps RTSes from truly innovating.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

raydude wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:54 pm meh. Maybe it's just me but for all their talk of "innovation" it's still just a variation on WC3 heroes. I remember one of the first big RTS innovations was in Company of Heroes, when they introduced anti-tank guns that had a range longer than the screen. All they needed was friendly units placed beyond their view who could spot enemies and the enemy tanks would die from offscreen fire. I was amazed.

When my friends and I played Co-OP comp stomps I'd build AT guns and put them back from the front, with infantry units in cover behind tank obstacles as "roadblocks". Kept away the enemy armored force while my other "turtle" friends hunkered down and built up their forces. Sadly, I recall seeing one of my friends who was a "traditional RTS" player bring up his AT guns within range of my soldiers and have them die over and over again because he couldn't grasp that the AT guns didn't have to see their target to shoot it. It's that kind of "traditional RTS" mentality that keeps RTSes from truly innovating.
I loved Company of Heroes. Snipers had long range, but you could get a spotter, Jeeps were fast but lightly armored, etc. It was a true rock/paper/scissors game with counters to each unit.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I liked the first COH..have it in steelcase. But never finished it and didn't get 2.