Welcome to the USFL - Returning 3/30/24

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Welcome to the USFL - Returning 3/30/24

Post by jztemple2 »

I thought I'd start a thread since apparently none exists, at least none I found with a search. Here's their site with the current schedule. I have a soft spot for these alternatives to Big Football ever since I was watching one of their game when gameplay stopped and it was announced that Nixon had resigned. That was of course a while ago :roll:

So, is this the one they play indoors or the one with the players in their underwear? :D
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Baroquen

Re: Welcome to the USFL - Starting 4/16/22

Post by Baroquen »

It's the one that the Rock owns (partially), right?

Like he doesn't keep busy enough these days! :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was wondering if there are any special non-NFL type rules to spice up the gameplay or speed it up.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
CBS Sports
3-point try
After scoring a touchdown, USFL teams will have the choice of going for 1, 2 or 3 points. An extra point is the same as it is in the NFL: teams will kick from the 15-yard-line. A two-point conversation will take place from the 2-yard-line. A three-point try, something that the NFL currently does not have, will take place from the 10-yard line.
Onside kick alternative
While onside kicks are still an option, the USFL will also offer second option for teams that want to try to maintain possession after a score. Teams can choose to try convert one 4th-and-12 play from the 33-yard-line.
Clock stoppages
Unlike the NFL, the clock will stop following a first down during the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters.
Overtime shootout
USFL overtimes will feature a best-of-three scoring format where each offense will get the ball at the opponent's 2-yard-line. If the two teams are still tied after three attempts, overtime will go into sudden death.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So do know which way the wind will blowing for the opening kickoff?
Spoiler:
Come on,. you're on a roll :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/ ... ed-to-know

The first game will feature the Generals against the Stallions and will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 16.
In the inaugural season of the USFL, all eight teams will play in Birmingham Alabama, at both Protective Stadium and Legion Field.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Spoiler:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:44 pm
Spoiler:
CBS Sports
3-point try
After scoring a touchdown, USFL teams will have the choice of going for 1, 2 or 3 points. An extra point is the same as it is in the NFL: teams will kick from the 15-yard-line. A two-point conversation will take place from the 2-yard-line. A three-point try, something that the NFL currently does not have, will take place from the 10-yard line.
Onside kick alternative
While onside kicks are still an option, the USFL will also offer second option for teams that want to try to maintain possession after a score. Teams can choose to try convert one 4th-and-12 play from the 33-yard-line.
Clock stoppages
Unlike the NFL, the clock will stop following a first down during the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters.
Overtime shootout
USFL overtimes will feature a best-of-three scoring format where each offense will get the ball at the opponent's 2-yard-line. If the two teams are still tied after three attempts, overtime will go into sudden death.
Those are some interesting changes.
That 4th and 12 , especially.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

7 Teams will only play road games while Birmingham will only play home games (until the playoffs)? That seems . . . odd.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Again? Why won't this stay dead?

I went to a USFL (pronounced "Useless Football League") game back when they first tried this. The price was right (free), but here's the thing -- while any minor league endeavor might put an entertaining product out on the field against like-competition, it's still just that -- minor league, and the level of play will never approach that of the top professional level. When you live in a pro town, the difference is very noticeable.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You know, the college game seems to be pretty popular. The Indoor Football League has been around since 2009. And luckily for you, there is no Chicago team.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:20 pm And luckily for you, there is no Chicago team.
Well, they tried and died.

College football is dreadful. The best college team would still pale in comparison to the Detroit Lions, and that's all that needs to be said.

What really baffles me is why we have several minor league hockey and baseball teams here. As far as I can tell, they exist solely to accommodate corporate outings for companies too cheap to spring on the real deal.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And aren't the New Jersey Generals the Harlem Globetrotter whipping boys? Did they get tired of the beatings and switch sports?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's the Washington Generals.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:31 pm That's the Washington Generals.
Close enough. If they wanted to separate themselves from persistent losers, they'd have picked a different name.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Odd that at least five of the teams are in locations with NFL teams. I guess maybe they know there’s a fan base there for football, but I would think they might get more interest/better attendance in places where there isn’t a pro football option.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like Birmingham?
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Aint no football in April, so thats the big draw I guess.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:20 pm You know, the college game seems to be pretty popular. The Indoor Football League has been around since 2009. And luckily for you, there is no Chicago team.

So it looks like all these teams have the same names and cities as the 1980s USFL teams?

At least the Stars moved back to Philadelphia from Baltimore.
Conform or be cast out!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ll watch out of curiosity. Never watched any previous spring football attempts.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With the proviso that I haven't watched an NFL game in a couple of years, I have to say I enjoyed the first game. Very close, great plays, no amateurish looking stuff I could see and a dramatic finish.

A couple of things that appealed to me. First, the little drone camera. Not only were there some awesome almost ground level shots, but it was very entertaining to watch the drone from the view of other cameras as it zipped to and fro across the field. Very 21st century. Second, I loved the miked up coaches and players. At one point the announcers stay quiet for an entire series that resulted in a touchdown so we could listen to the coach and the quarterback the whole time. Very nice.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

How is that not used strategically against them by the other team?

I mean, the NFL is worried about lip readers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Football Zebras
The USFL uses the NFL’s 7-person mechanics and has 33 officials from Football Bowl Subdivision conferences on five crews.

Mike Pereira is the head of USFL officiating, a position he had in the NFL from 2001 to 2009. Ron Baynes, a wing official in the NFL from 1987 to 2000, is the officiating supervisor. Steve Strimling, a Pac-12 referee, is the officiating coordinator, a position he had with the Alliance of American Football and the XFL.

Most of the officials have been scouted by the NFL under its Officiating Development Program, but the league had no formal role in the USFL staffing process. The USFL officiating staff includes four women.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:03 am How is that not used strategically against them by the other team?

I mean, the NFL is worried about lip readers.
Probably a delay. It would only take the standard 7-10 seconds to render the info mostly unusable. If USFL broadcasts build more, completely unusable. And I doubt the stakes are high enough to warrant a team hacking into the broadcast comms to get pre-delay feeds.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Panthers_(2022)
The team plays their home games at Protective Stadium and Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama, which also hosts the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers.
Wouldn't that make them the Birmingham or Alabama Panthers?
The Panthers compete in the United States Football League (USFL) as a member of the North Division.
North?

Let's just say there is no investment in the team here. A team you can't see or tailgate for that somehow is has your name means what?

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/ ... ed-to-know
n the inaugural season of the USFL, all eight teams will play in Birmingham Alabama, at both Protective Stadium and Legion Field.
How is this even an idea much less a good one?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://xflnewsroom.com/usfl/usfl-looki ... nd-beyond/
According to Brian Woods, the goal is for all teams to move to their home markets by 2023. Additionally, he states that the league has been in preliminary talks with multiple venues in the Metro-Detroit area. He did also say that nothing is set in stone at the moment, so plans could change.

"Woods said the goal would be for the teams to relocate to their actual markets for a second season, in 2023, but that’s not set in stone. The hub could remain, but if it doesn’t, Woods said there have been preliminary discussions about specific venues in Metro Detroit. He wouldn’t specify."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:02 pm Mostly just sad because it’s the end of football for the year. :(
UFL announces inaugural season schedule with March 30 kickoff
The new United Football League announced its full 43-game schedule Monday, kicking off with a March 30 matchup of the champions from the two leagues that formed it and concluding with a championship game June 16.

UFL teams will practice in a central location near Dallas but will play five games apiece in their home markets as part of a 10-game schedule. The league, formed last year via a merger between the XFL and USFL, will open with a March 30 game between the USFL champion Birmingham Stallions and the XFL champion Arlington Renegades at Choctaw Stadium in Arlington, Texas (1 p.m. ET/FOX).
The UFL will host two conference championship games the weekend of June 8-9 to determine the participants in its league championship game the following weekend.

Every UFL game will be televised on either ABC, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2 or FS1. ABC/ESPN games will be streamed on ESPN+, and Fox games will stream on the Fox Sports app. Nearly three-quarters of the games will air on either ABC or Fox.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for posting about this! I'm looking forward to some alt-football.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft: