Garden/Landscape/Wild Field Reclamation

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Garden/Landscape/Wild Field Reclamation

Post by GreenGoo »

So far it has been slow going. I'm not getting out as often as I could and time is passing by as it always does. That said, we've made enough progress that I'm not completely despondent and am enjoying the improvements, as few as they are.

My small field of stumps (most smaller than 3-4" in diameter) is being suppressed with regular stripping of new growth and the occasional addition of vinegar into holes drilled into them. They are still alive, but they are struggling. Good. That said, there are a few that are growing very well and I need to get out and make it less easy for them.

I have not rototilled and planted new grass anywhere. :(

I have grape vines that found their way into my yard from my neighbours and they are trying to take over. Anyone know how to get rid of vines? Because holy hell they are trying to pull down my cable/phone wires and are insanely tough to remove.

I have made good progress on my lilac tree in the back yard. I have chainsawed several other species of trees that had found their way into the middle of it and grown inside it. Think many, many trunks (of middling size) with most being lilac, but some being other invasive trees. So it's looking a bit bare at the moment as all that empty space used to be other tree trunks. I do need to trim it back (by a third, I understand) to encourage new flowering growth next year, and to reduce the size of the tree. It's a huge messy tangle of bare bark, twigs and occasional flowering branches (well, not flowering now, but a month ago).

We have started to edge the front yard, and even the most simple, least skilled edging has made a vast improvement to the aesthetic.

I have a mock orange that I nearly killed years ago by heavily trimming during the wrong time, and it has only just started flowering again. There are a ton of dead branches though that I need to remove, some covered in moss (an issue with mock oranges, I have learned). What I have learned is that the mock orange and the lilac are both about the same kind of care. Prune a third, after flowering season. Careful trimming the top as most new growth is there and trimming too much will shock it badly.

I whipper snipped the hell out of the weeds and grass growing up through my patio stones (loose walkway from driveway to front door) and it looks tidier. I need to go back and do it again as some of it is recovering.

I have a ton of branches and small logs that I need to cut up and bundle for yard waste removal. I've already done a ton so from that metric alone I've made decent progress.

I'm loving the black and decker 40v weed whacker, although until I get through a couple of seasons, the jury is tentative about the verdict.

So basically I'm still cutting, chopping, whacking, digging, pruning and trimming everything in sight. We have 2 bird baths that are getting lots of usage, so the cats and kids are loving that. the yard is still to big a mess for the baths to be a design choice. Right now they are literally there just for the functionality of providing birds some water and encouraging them to stick around.

I've done better this summer than in many previous years, yet I still feel like I'm barely keeping up with new growth. Of course this is on me. It has been a HOT summer, and I'm extremely lazy in my aging, sedentary body so willpower has been in short supply.

Still, chin up, making progress, keep at it, etc.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rototilling is really, REALLY hard work. I’d hire that job out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:35 pm Rototilling is really, REALLY hard work. I’d hire that job out.
I can still handle it, I think. Yes, the machine bucks and wrenches back and forth, but if I go slow I think I can handle it.

That said, I'm so far from rototilling that I don't think it will even happen this summer.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am disappointed to find that every time my research determines a quality product to use, it is not available in Canada. Oh well.

2,4-D products are against the law in Ontario, despite being legal in a number of other provinces. We have to make due with iron based targeted herbicides, which are much less effective. So no Tenacity of Killex for me.

And Roundup, a kill-all green herbicide is also restricted to landscaping companies and use against harmful to humans plants in the wild.

No wonder everyone's lawns are covered in crab grass and dandelions. I just thought I was a bad neighbour :D

And grass seed. Most stores here sell generic Scott's grass seed, which is fine I guess, but it's not as high quality as some other products, most of which I can't find here. I'd rather pay more for a higher percentage of germination, than less for a bag that is likely to only have 50% germination or whatever.

I'm relatively happy to say that I have made some progress. Not much, but it's noticeable (to me) and more importantly I'm actually getting outside more often than once a month, so things are less bad than they were. Still bad, but less so.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My current plan is to use Scott's Weed B-Gon Max once we have a few days without rain, then aerate after it has done its work, then overseed everywhere.

Then simply water and wait.

I'll rent a plug aerator. I haven't rototilled yet, and might not do it at all, depending on how this works.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time to start that black market garden import business.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:23 pm Time to start that black market garden import business.
There are many. Facebook marketplace has a number, as one example. I have not used any.

Yet.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I have raised planter boxes in the backyard. This morning I planted watermelons and broccoli. Hopefully the 5 minutes of online research regarding seed depth, distance, and sun/water requirements pays off in a few months. :pray:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Never thought about bees in regard to weed killer before https://www.backyardfocus.com/bees-and-weed-killer/
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heard that years ago. Bees go we go.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:41 pm Bees go we go.
You'd think bees are what we should be trying to clone. :think:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cloning doesn't do shit if the environment we've created just keeps killing them off.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:39 am Cloning doesn't do shit if the environment we've created just keeps killing them off.
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're right. You want to be part of the 6th?

Enlarge Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:48 am You're right. You want to be part of the 6th?

Enlarge Image
I don't think we have much say in it one way or the other.
stessier

Post by stessier »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:49 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:48 am You're right. You want to be part of the 6th?

Enlarge Image
I don't think we have much say in it one way or the other.
You are wrong.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles