Complicated Visual Novel Games and the like..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

drewdavis

Complicated Visual Novel Games and the like..

Post by drewdavis »

So I'm just curious. What are some of your favorite VN/otome games? I'm looking to experience some more complicated ones (if they're free) because the game I'm working on is pretty complex and I'd like to see more like it. Nothing wrong with simple dating sims and such but what are some more in-depth ones? Ones with more freedom and activities etc? Are there not many? I can't find any really...

On another note.. what are your thoughts on games like that? The best example I can use atm is like gta 5 for instance... Not only are you going around doing missions and driving etc but you have a cellphone gui with things to do and an internet browser and there are side missions and fun things you can do on the side. It isn't just a straight path to the end of the game.

What are some of your favorite features in games in general? I really like extra interface stuff and customization. That's just me though. I probably care too much about customization.
LordMortis

Re: Complicated Visual Novel Games and the like..

Post by LordMortis »

I've wondered about the attraction to the genre. I've never been a fan of the story telling games going all the way back getting eaten by a grue nor even the Douglas Adams game. However, I've been watching more and more anime over the last 7 or 8 years and visual novels/light novels now sit on the outside of my curiosity as something I know nothing about. I mean, it's not like I didn't read comic books and graphic novels well in to my 20s. And probably would have continued, had life not insisted my attentions go elsewhere.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Kind of a huge jump from visual novel games to GTA5. First post, too. Feels a little spammy.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Very.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

OP needs some quality time with Doki Doki Literature Club.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:55 am I've wondered about the attraction to the genre. I've never been a fan of the story telling games going all the way back getting eaten by a grue nor even the Douglas Adams game. However, I've been watching more and more anime over the last 7 or 8 years and visual novels/light novels now sit on the outside of my curiosity as something I know nothing about. I mean, it's not like I didn't read comic books and graphic novels well in to my 20s. And probably would have continued, had life not insisted my attentions go elsewhere.
I'd say start with a game like The Wolf Among Us and see if that sparks interest.

Is it technically a visual novel? Probably not. But it can at least let you know if you're into the idea of experiencing the idea of a pure story (with some lite game play) as a computer "game".
Maybe next year, maybe no go