Dominion (cardgame)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Dominion (cardgame)

Post by hepcat »

Let me know how Tomb plays. I've been eying it for a while but haven't heard enough good or bad things about it to make a decision.

As for your wife not being interested in playing Dominion again because you were too stupid to realize that you ALWAYS let the wife win the first few games if you want to see it on the table again, you have only yourself to blame. :P
He won. Period.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

hepcat wrote:Let me know how Tomb plays. I've been eying it for a while but haven't heard enough good or bad things about it to make a decision.

As for your wife not being interested in playing Dominion again because you were too stupid to realize that you ALWAYS let the wife win the first few games if you want to see it on the table again, you have only yourself to blame. :P
Good point! And I will never admit to having done this in the past with Race For the Galaxy ... ;)

I was just getting bored. I had all the cards I needed to start buying the most expensive victory point cards, so I didn't want to wait around building my deck bigger, and bigger, and bigger with no end in sight. I'm kicking myself now of course.

My first game of Kingsburg wasn't as good as I had hoped either. Please tell me that there is more than one strategy for winning? Because after our first game it sure seemed like going with the fifth row and then just milking the points seemed to be the best strategy by far.

I didn't get around to playing Tomb, although I did punch out the half-billion characters and attempted to shuffle the giant deck of cards. I played by myself for an hour or so to get the hang of the rules ... it seems like the on-the-box time estimate of 1 hour is a bit optimistic, I'd say this one will clock in at about 2 hours when we actually play.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can think of few things that feel as bad as laying out a new board game that you've been dying to try, getting about a quarter of the way into it and then realizing that nobody else likes it. That is the very definition of a sinking feeling. I think the last time I encountered it was with the Marvel Superheroes Strategy game, a game that sounds stupid but that I really enjoy. It was about 12 minutes into a game with Seppe, Zarathud and Snow that I saw everyone's eyes sort of glaze over and table topic turned to the latest ultimate fighting match that Snow had seen on television.

To their credit, they finished the game. But I've sadly placed it in the back of my bedroom closet, where it sits to this day, gathering dust.
He won. Period.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Hep, is that the Marvel Heroes game that came out two years ago, involving four teams against one villain, and a deck of villain cards? If so, I had the same problem. I was excited about it, because the designers' previous game, War of the Ring, is one of my all-time favorites, but within about 45 minutes of playing it, I realized that nobody else was enjoying it, and really, I wasn't either. I traded that one away within a few months.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that's the one. I actually enjoyed it. I guess I'm the odd man out. :cry:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, that's the one. I actually enjoyed it. I guess I'm the odd man out. :cry:
You always have me, li'l buddy! I like it! (The one time I tried it, that is.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:Yeah, that's the one. I actually enjoyed it. I guess I'm the odd man out. :cry:
you're always busy with your yodeling contests, though! you used to throw these fantastic, humungous, ginormous, fantabulous board gaming nights with chinese food, a game table the size of wisconsin, various children to ooh and ahh over our mad skillz and an understanding wife who, in hindsight, really should have just gave in and joined us.

...ah crap...i just got a woody remembering it all.

where was i?

oh yeah...if you REALLY mean it, you need to let me know when you're free, dagnabit! i know i chickened out of the weeknight games, but those were a bit tough to attend due to it being a school night and all.

also, I've got the battlestar galactica game sitting here waiting for you, too. i KNOW you'd love it.
He won. Period.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Man, I got the BSG game for Christmas, and I'm itching to play it. It sounds excellent.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Battlestar Galactica seems to be one of those games where the gaming wives want to play...until they actually play the game. Something tells me that playing Cylon and stabbing your wife in the back would be worse than just kicking her ass in any other game.

I've been gently nudging my wife into playing Ticket to Ride thanks to the Chicago game store Cat and Mouse. Plus, they called today about my order for the revised Talisman. Nevermind that I have most of the Second Edition, I just have fond high school memories that make me love the game enough to continue to force it on hepcat.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Zarathud wrote:Battlestar Galactica seems to be one of those games where the gaming wives want to play...until they actually play the game. Something tells me that playing Cylon and stabbing your wife in the back would be worse than just kicking her ass in any other game.
Eh, my GF survived a last minute betrayal in Mall of Horror that gave me the win (I flat out lied about a card I had in my hand to persuade her to vote a particular way, then revealed the card and threw her last character out the door to be eaten by zombies). I pointed out that it was her or me, and she would've done the exact same thing without giving it a second thought. Okay, so I had to buy her Chinese food after to keep her happy, but that was a small price to play. Plus, in BSG, since it's team-based, I'm not stabbing her in the back, I'm stabbing her and all her buddies. :ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Plus, they called today about my order for the revised Talisman. Nevermind that I have most of the Second Edition, I just have fond high school memories that make me love the game enough to continue to force it on hepcat.

No force needed. I enjoyed the game of second edition Talisman we played a while back. I would love to give the fourth edition revised rules a go.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:
you're always busy with your yodeling contests, though! you used to throw these fantastic, humungous, ginormous, fantabulous board gaming nights with chinese food, a game table the size of wisconsin, various children to ooh and ahh over our mad skillz and an understanding wife who, in hindsight, really should have just gave in and joined us.

...ah crap...i just got a woody remembering it all.

where was i?

oh yeah...if you REALLY mean it, you need to let me know when you're free, dagnabit! i know i chickened out of the weeknight games, but those were a bit tough to attend due to it being a school night and all.

also, I've got the battlestar galactica game sitting here waiting for you, too. i KNOW you'd love it.
No singing this year. At least not until the summer. So I can get another basement party set up soon. Like maybe end of January?

And what about another Game Day in March sometime?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You had me at hello...

Yes and Yes to your suggestions. Just name a date and time and I'm there. :D
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hentzau wrote:So I can get another basement party set up soon. Like maybe end of January?
My wife is out of town the weekend of Jan. 24-25. If you're not hosting an event that weekend, I am.
hentzau wrote:And what about another Game Day in March sometime?
Perfect, especially if it's before St. Patrick's Day. Just as long as it's not during early April tax season.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:
hentzau wrote:So I can get another basement party set up soon. Like maybe end of January?
My wife is out of town the weekend of Jan. 24-25. If you're not hosting an event that weekend, I am.
hentzau wrote:And what about another Game Day in March sometime?
Perfect, especially if it's before St. Patrick's Day. Just as long as it's not during early April tax season.
Z, I'll let you take the 24th. I'm planning a small gathering for the following weekend...look for your invite in the e-mail soon.

And I'll look at the church calendar and come up with a saturday for our spring games day.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Z, I'll let you take the 24th. I'm planning a small gathering for the following weekend...look for your invite in the e-mail soon.
I got your invite. I'm not sure about your suggestion for a "shirts vs. skins" game, though....
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hentzau wrote: And I'll look at the church calendar and come up with a saturday for our spring games day.
I've been waiting for word of this all year!

Oh, and Dominion is a great game. The honey moon has worn off on it now for me though... but I still think its a lot of fun. Also a bonus that my wife really likes it and requests to play often. Sometimes we don't even use the game and make up our own house rules... ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

we should have a mini Dominion tournament at the next "Octocon".
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Electronic version is free on Steam/mobile. Pay-to-play for expansions. Has crossplay, online multi-player.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT