NFL 2024 Offseason + Draft

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

NFL 2024 Offseason + Draft

Post by Jaymann »

Man the Bill's roster has been decimated (reduced by 1/10) in the offseason. The Chargers also jettison 2 franchise receivers. Not so sure a running game is the answer with Herbert at QB. At least with the #5 spot in the draft being set at QB is a major asset. A lot of speculation about the Chargers trading down - not something I generally favor unless there is a specific desired outcome.

At any rate Draft Day is 4/25.
Last edited by Jaymann on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Re: NFL 2024 Offseason + Draft

Post by RunningMn9 »

It's gonna be interesting. Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Mitch Morse, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hide, Tre'Devious White. Those are some tough losses. But they are also some older/injured/expensive losses. This group had four years to try to get to and win a SB. Time to reset and hopefully build a new group that can get it done. But this year looks like a prime candidate to step back a little before they have some more flexibility in 2025.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zach Wilson to the Broncos...
Wilson, 24, had been on the market since the start of the 2024 offseason, with general manager Joe Douglas openly indicating the team would look to move the former first-rounder. Now, he's headed to Denver in exchange for a 2024 sixth-round pick and a 2024 seventh-rounder, per NFL Media, with the two sides agreeing to split Wilson's guaranteed roster bonus for training camp.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

From one Wilson to another Wilson. Hopefully that is good news for the Chargers.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honest question, no snark.

Why is J.J.McCarthy not the #1 QB pick?

Or maybe he is, but the Bears are forced by ancient magic to not take the best QB when searching for their QB solution?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also. Bo Nix wasn't on Bears radar so much either.

I swear to god, if Bo Nix or JJ.MCarthy turn out to be the next Mahomes... I'll... I'll... I'll point back to this post.

:(
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:27 pm Honest question, no snark.

Or maybe he is, but the Bears are forced by ancient magic to not take the best QB when searching for their QB solution?
Not sure why, but the Sporting News has him as the 4th best QB, going to the Vikings at #11.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:34 pm

Not sure why, but the Sporting News has him as the 4th best QB, going to the Vikings at #11.
I wonder who the Pats grab at #3
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Honestly, I wouldn't draft him in the 1st 2 rounds. He feels more like Mac Jones than Peyton Manning - a guy who massively benefited from the talent around him. Scouts like him, but they sure did like Jones a lot too...

IMHO, Caleb Williams is 100% the best pick in this draft. He's a QB who scares you how good he is, much like Mahomes does now.

Of the other QB's, I have questions about all of them. I don't really like Maye and his drop off this past year, I think Daniels will get injured in a hurry, I have doubts about Nix ability to consistently get the ball downfield, and while I love Penix, the injury history is there (plus, how much was that amazing WR corps?). But I'd take all of them before McCarthy, because I don't think he has ever had to lift a team and win a game on his own.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My middle school aged son will be delighted if the Patriots draft Penix.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm IMHO, Caleb Williams is 100% the best pick in this draft. He's a QB who scares you how good he is, much like Mahomes does now.
I really hope you are right.

with respect to QBs, the Bears fans are like battered housewives.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:54 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm IMHO, Caleb Williams is 100% the best pick in this draft. He's a QB who scares you how good he is, much like Mahomes does now.

Alternatively, QB's drafted by the Bears are like battered housewives. The curse is alive and well.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm My middle school aged son will be delighted if the Patriots draft Penix.
I really like him. He has that easy, almost effortless zing into tight windows, but not always. He has some headscratcher games sometimes too (e.g. He had a very substandard game in the Championship - if he had been on like he was v. Texas, they had a shot at winning, but he missed a lot of plays he usually makes in that game, and only part of it was the Michigan defense), but when he's healthy, he's generally been amazing.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:08 pm

Alternatively, QB's drafted by the Bears are like battered housewives. The curse is alive and well.
absolutely. it's the same coin.

my friend just now texted me: "Poor Caleb. We will ruin him."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Latham is a great pick for the Titans
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm My middle school aged son will be delighted if the Patriots draft Penix.
Why, does he figure that gives him a shot?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 pm
Why, does he figure that gives him a shot?
<nice snark> :mrgreen:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh sweet.

Rome Odunze was maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite player in the draft.

I also like Brock Bowers a lot.

Rome Odunze is a class act. Go Bears indeed, dude!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:34 pm

Locally, in Wolverine (and also in anti Wolverine/Spartan) country, they had him at QB between 5 and 6, though they also put him probably at the Vikings. They just didn't see enough mobility, pocket presence, or a high enough ceiling for him. Looks like their predictions were about accurate. There was some speculation about the Pats but I think that was was memories of Brady colored glasses.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Huge Michigan fan but I think they got JJ about right. They lose the game against Bama this year if he doesn't get lucky with the defender landing on a blade of grass out of bounds on the first play. Too many questionable decisions imo. I loved him here and I would have loved him to land outside the division so I could root for him in the NFL but others are a more sure thing. He landed in a great spot for a QB though with those WRs.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Williams has undeniable talent, but he also acts like an arrogant, spoiled, whiny baby. Watching him go 0-3 against Utah during his time at USC (then seeing both he and Riley whine about it) was very fun.

Feels like he's either going to set the NFL on fire (a la Mahomes) or completely flame out (a la Manziel). Don't think there's much room in between.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Thrilled that the Eagles spent a first round pick on a corner, CB Quinyon Mitchell! The last time the Eagles spent a first-round pick on the position was 2002. Hopefully more defensive help is on the way...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chargers take the top rated OT, Joe Alt out of Notre Dame. A lot of WR coming off the board, my guess is they go tight end with their next pick.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:54 am Williams has undeniable talent, but he also acts like an arrogant, spoiled, whiny baby. Watching him go 0-3 against Utah during his time at USC (then seeing both he and Riley whine about it) was very fun.

Feels like he's either going to set the NFL on fire (a la Mahomes) or completely flame out (a la Manziel). Don't think there's much room in between.
He won't flame out the way Manziel did. It will be more like RG3 if it happens, where he gets bludgeoned to death behind a bad OL.

And yeah, you guys did great with your mush rush against him. Just like Mahomes, he is lethal if he is allowed to leak out of the pocket. It's one of the things we did relatively poorly against him in '22 (tho we did get the stop we needed and were in position to win the shootout until we threw an awful pick while driving for the go-ahead score in the final minute), and did great in '23. '23 was easier tho, as he didn't have a great weapon like Addison to rely on.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

David Carr
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 pmDavid Carr
Him too (definitely), but he didn't have the mobility Williams/RG3, and even Manziel had. It was sad to see him get killed like that, he could have been great, but it does happen to QBs who go to bad teams who don't have OL's. Heck, we can go back to Jim Plunkett, if we really want to - Heisman winner exploded on the scene as a rookie (even with an awful OL), but got so damaged it took almost a decade and multiple teams before he was decent again (at least he did get to win multiple Super Bowls).

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chargers finally cracked under the pressure and traded up 3 spots to nab WR Ladd McConkey out of Georgia. He must be ecstatic to have Herbert at QB, but he will have some big shoes to fill with the exit of Mike Williams and Keenan Allen.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Overall I think Harbaugh did a credible job with his first Chargers draft. They took 3 WR, 2 corners, an OT, a DT, a LB, and a running back. On paper filling holes left by free agency. It's yet to be seen if Harbaugh can coach them up.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Dogstar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 am Thrilled that the Eagles spent a first round pick on a corner, CB Quinyon Mitchell! The last time the Eagles spent a first-round pick on the position was 2002. Hopefully more defensive help is on the way...
Your wish came true! It was mine, too. I was really hoping they'd get a top CB in the first round, and Howie went and took a top CB in both the first and second! Trading up for Cooper DeJean was a great move. Between Mitchell and DeJean, that terrible Eagles secondary is getting a huge influx of talent. Not sure about the RB (Shipley) in Round 4 or the WR in 5, but -- like many Eagles fans -- was thrilled to see them land Trotter Jr. with their second pick in the 5th. Big shoes to fill, and I'm not sure he's the same type of player as his dad, but he's a legit LB, and with that bloodline, the Eagles had to give him a shot.

Overall, pretty good draft for the Eagles. Go, Birds!!!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Kurth wrote: Overall, pretty good draft for the Eagles. Go, Birds!!!
We’re taking a relatively low cost shot on former first round pick Mekhi Becton, too.

Loved this picture the Eagles posted when they drafted Trotter Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason out, Matt Ryan in on CBS’ ‘The NFL Today’ pregame show: Sources
Ryan will be joined on set by host James Brown, Nate Burleson and Bill Cowher, with J.J. Watt on a part-time basis. Burleson and Cowher also had expiring contracts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 am Loved this picture the Eagles posted when they drafted Trotter Jr.
My god, what is he? Like 12 months old?! I hope you guys know what you're signing up for.

:P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Personally I don't think that they should let toddlers play in the NFL.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I would like to remind everyone that Caleb Williams had a slower release rate and increased sack rate when compared to Justin Fields. Except Fields stats were versus pro competition, and Williams against Little Sisters of the Poor. Add an inflated ego that makes Jay Cutler seem humble, I wonder which QB the Bears will draft in 2027.
Black Lives Matter